Getting Started
187 posts

"I hear it will be quite a showcase."

Cannot wait! smile.gif
passmaster14
post Mar 17 2013, 10:45 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

Got some news about it back at MWC last month. They announced the Sailfish SDK, and also showed off some new features. The OS (and app ecosystem) is nowhere near ready just yet.

Jolla's CEO did mention their first device will be launched on the second half of the year, but their first markets will be Finland and China. Quite be some time before we see it here (if we see it, that is.)
passmaster14
post Mar 17 2013, 11:37 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

That's the biggest issue with Jolla. Tizen and Ubuntu devices will be launching months before Jolla's first phone. It'll be hard to retain interest for that long. On the other hand, Sailfish still looks slightly ahead in terms of OS development compared to Tizen, so fingers crossed, we *could* see it sooner than expected.

Also, we must remember that these are the same guys who launched the N9 when they all knew it wasn't yet ready. So we could get a pretty polished device when it eventually is launched.
passmaster14
post Mar 19 2013, 12:59 AM

Getting Started
187 posts

http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/gomobile/

They've also got Ubuntu SDK days for more interactive sessions for app development. Well, they have got the resources to do these things...

If you look at the dev website, you can see it also uses Qt and QML at its core for app development.
passmaster14
post Mar 29 2013, 12:36 AM

Getting Started
187 posts

Well, it was coming anyway. Opened up the N9 to download something from the Store, and it refused to download any app. I hate to say this, but despite the community support many are no longer using the N9 as their primary phone already.

Whatsapp? Gosh you should see how they treated tgalal and their openwhatsapp project.
passmaster14
post May 27 2013, 02:37 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

The 40 euro payment is just the pre-order downpayment. The device price is 399 euro. Those who opt for the 40 euro pre-order will get a limited edition t-shirt and a priority booking number to be the first to get the device once it is launched by the end of this year.

There's also a registration of interest, where no payment is made until the device is available. This ROI is to help determine market demands and give Jolla a better understanding which markets are more receptive to its device.

Hence, I'm really hoping more Malaysians sign up for the ROI if they want to see it being available here.
passmaster14
post Sep 19 2013, 12:54 AM

Getting Started
187 posts

This second wave is more to catch the new wave of interest in Jolla after the Nokia - Microsoft announcement. Lots of angry Finns around, I presume.

But the target is still to deliver the first batch by Christmas this year. I do agree that they could be faster, but with the shift to a new design etc., I'd rather wait for a really good device later than to have an older one now smile.gif
passmaster14
post Dec 13 2013, 12:16 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

Anyone here who pre-ordered got an email from Jolla asking to pay just yet? Jolla keeps mentioning everyone who pre-ordered will get a device, but priority seems to be to those from EU for the first AND second pre-order batches only.

Was hoping to get mine before the end of the year, but now I'm not so hopeful :/
passmaster14
post Dec 13 2013, 04:11 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

Just not happy at how those outside the EU have not received any form of communication (not just email, but also on their FAQs) to let us know if our orders are getting shipped at the same time as the EU orders.

It doesn't make sense if we pre-ordered in May, only to see people walk in to stores in Finland in December to pick their units up, and Jolla does nothing to ease our worries.
passmaster14
post Jan 24 2014, 02:53 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

Well, I got my reply for both my queries within 24 hours when I emailed them in December, so it's still a hit and miss affair.

But the reply was one of the worst replies I've ever received in terms of content, as I was bitterly disappointed at how Jolla has conducted their pre-order campaign.

My query was simple: since Jolla has claimed that "all" pre-orders have already been shipped, why have we (those who ordered outside of EU) not gotten the confirmation email?

I finally got my reply on the second query (first response wasn't satisfactory; I think they misunderstood me). Here's the response:

Hi,

thank you for your message.

Like stated in our earlier message, pre-bookers in the EU, Norway and Switzerland have been promised some level of availability and we are now serving pre-bookers in these countries.

However, we are working hard to serve all our pre-booking customers from all countries as quickly as we can. During Q1 2014, we will expand our sales and distribution network to more markets, serving first all pre-booking customers in those markets. At this point we ask you to stay tuned for further information on availability.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Jolla Customer Care

---

So basically, all of us who pre-ordered and not provide an EU address have just paid 40 euros for a t-shirt. If Jolla decides that they will not expand to SEA, or "are still working on expanding our sales network", then there's a high chance that we may have burned 40 euros.

It's such a pity though. Such a nice phone.
passmaster14
post Feb 7 2014, 05:40 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

QUOTE(biatch0 @ Feb 1 2014, 06:46 PM)
Well, to be fair... they did state that the 40E/100E packages gave you the chance to pre-order and that you should take the 0E package if you were in an unsupported country. At the same time, the 40E was never meant to include a discount of any kind and stated clearly to include only a T-shirt and the option to pre-order... so the 100E package was obviously better in every way (included T-shirt AND 100E discount on device). Even if you did pre-order the 40E bundle and provide an EU address, you'd still pay full price for the device.
The price isn't what bugs me. I would gladly pay full price for the device. What really got to me was the "pre-order campaign" itself. If you will not honour pre-orders outside the EU, why open the 40E option for ROW customers in the first place?

The 100E and 0E option would have been perfect, since those outside the EU can register their interest for free. The 40E option clearly stated that "once the Jolla is ready, you'll be the first to receive it".

In any case, how is the Jolla working out for you? Can use as daily driver already?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0195sec    0.21    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:13 PM