Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Canon Selphy CP900 Windows 8 driver, Unable to identify photo printer

views

TSRubikian
post Nov 14 2012, 02:40 PM, updated 9y ago

22 posts

Hi Sifu,

I just purchased the Canon Selphy CP900 (Latest model) 4 weeks ago. That was before I upgraded my windows to Windows 8 (Was still using Windows 7). Everything works fine in Windows 7. I just bought the legitimate windows 8 and ever since the upgrade, the printer cannot be detected. I searched on-line, no driver available for this printer in windows 8. Anyone can help?
adbacc
post Nov 14 2012, 02:54 PM

Still Here
1,826 posts

Try installing the Windows 7 drivers instead
WebWalker
post Nov 14 2012, 03:38 PM

Computer Geek
All Stars
12,851 posts

Try the Win 7 driver as suggested, and if it doesn't work and Canon website doesn't provide Win 8 driver for it.

Then you need to wait for Canon to write the Win 8 driver, it is main drawback for OS early adoption.
TSRubikian
post Nov 14 2012, 10:51 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(WebWalker @ Nov 14 2012, 03:38 PM)
Try the Win 7 driver as suggested, and if it doesn't work and Canon website doesn't provide Win 8 driver for it.

Then you need to wait for Canon to write the Win 8 driver, it is main drawback for OS early adoption.
Tried that already. It says install successful but when printer connected, it says unable to detect. I used to use it in wireless mode but seems like USB mode is also not working.

While I wrote to canon as well but I don't get back any response. I'd appreciate if they would tell me to wait for the new driver or something.
aric_68
post Nov 15 2012, 06:15 PM

Getting Started
111 posts

QUOTE(Rubikian @ Nov 14 2012, 10:51 PM)
Tried that already. It says install successful but when printer connected, it says unable to detect. I used to use it in wireless mode but seems like USB mode is also not working.

While I wrote to canon as well but I don't get back any response. I'd appreciate if they would tell me to wait for the new driver or something.
i also just brought this printer.... facing same problem... need help....!!!! thanks...!!!

Added on November 15, 2012, 6:17 pm
QUOTE(Rubikian @ Nov 14 2012, 10:51 PM)

how to use wireless setting on pc...??? can't seach the printer...!!!!

This post has been edited by aric_68: Nov 15 2012, 06:17 PM
TSRubikian
post Dec 4 2012, 08:10 PM

22 posts

I still don't get back their reply. The only way for me to print is to use my old PC with Win 7. The wondows 8 PC cannot detect the printer at all.

This post has been edited by Rubikian: Dec 4 2012, 08:11 PM
TSRubikian
post Mar 26 2013, 02:36 PM

22 posts

I got a reply back from them which is disappointing.

"About your inquiry pertaining to driver, regret to inform that Canon CP900 printer is not compatible to be used with Windows 8. It only can support until Windows 7. This is due to the advancement in software technology. Apologize for any inconvenience caused."

This is so pathetic. Latest product with no support. I think we should go get a refund...
SUSXploit Machine
post Mar 26 2013, 02:47 PM

Wise Old Man
6,578 posts

QUOTE(Rubikian @ Mar 26 2013, 02:36 PM)
I got a reply back from them which is disappointing.

"About your inquiry pertaining to driver, regret to inform that Canon CP900 printer is not compatible to be used with Windows 8. It only can support until Windows 7. This is due to the advancement in software technology. Apologize for any inconvenience caused."

This is so pathetic. Latest product with no support. I think we should go get a refund...
There is a way to get this to work with Windows 8.

First, disable driver signing enforcement:
- From the Charms bar, select Settings then Change PC Settings.
- Select General and scroll down to Advanced Startup and click restart now.
- From the menu, select troubleshooting then Advanced Options then windows startup options.
- Restart again and select number 7 Disable driver signature enforcement.
- Your PC will boot up as normal.
- Now Right Click the driver file and select troubleshoot compatibility.
- Go through the procedure and tell it that the driver worked in Windows 7

It should then install and work, there may be an error but it still works. Once you reboot again the driver enforcement is reverted but the printer still works.

Reviewed by a "working user" http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/10/Canon-Selphy-CP900

Please post your result replies smile.gif
TSRubikian
post Mar 26 2013, 03:36 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(Xploit Machine @ Mar 26 2013, 02:47 PM)

- From the menu, select troubleshooting then Advanced Options then windows startup options.

It should then install and work, there may be an error but it still works. Once you reboot again the driver enforcement is reverted but the printer still works.

Reviewed by a "working user" http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/10/Canon-Selphy-CP900
Thanks bro. Will try that tonight. I tried searching for solution but couldn't find any.
SUSXploit Machine
post Mar 26 2013, 03:44 PM

Wise Old Man
6,578 posts

QUOTE(Rubikian @ Mar 26 2013, 03:36 PM)
Thanks bro. Will try that tonight. I tried searching for solution but couldn't find any.

in some technical reason, there are many Windows 7 drivers which works good in Windows 8 .. just a little bit confusing the system will do the job well biggrin.gif

h@ksam
post Mar 26 2013, 05:31 PM

@ is a
3,429 posts

the workaround to force install the win 7 driver should work since win8 and win7 isn't drastically different
TSRubikian
post Mar 27 2013, 08:37 AM

22 posts

QUOTE(Xploit Machine @ Mar 26 2013, 02:47 PM)

Thanks bro. I tested it. It works but need the driver downloaded from the web. The CD driver cannot work as it is not in one single file. When run test in compatibility mode, it will say not compatible but you can just install it after that. I printed a few photos to be sure and after reboot, it still works. Thanks again. smile.gif
SUSXploit Machine
post Mar 27 2013, 08:40 PM

Wise Old Man
6,578 posts

QUOTE(Rubikian @ Mar 27 2013, 08:37 AM)
Thanks bro. I tested it. It works but need the driver downloaded from the web. The CD driver cannot work as it is not in one single file. When run test in compatibility mode, it will say not compatible but you can just install it after that. I printed a few photos to be sure and after reboot, it still works. Thanks again. smile.gif

appreciate ure reply man, since the right driver works.. u just stick to it and also post any Win8 drivers available .. smile.gif

TSRubikian
post Aug 9 2014, 05:24 PM

22 posts

Just FYI, there is a slight difference in disabling the driver compatibility check in windows 8.1 compared to 8.0 as below:

Windows 8.1

In the Modern UI control panel find ‘Update & recovery‘ on the left hand side of the menu.
Once in ‘Update & recovery,’ select ‘Recovery‘ in the list of options on the left hand side of the modern ui menu.
After restarting in the advanced mode, a screen will come up with two options. Select the ‘Troubleshoot‘ option.
When the ‘Troubleshoot‘ option is selected, another window will appear. Find and click the option that says ‘Advanced options’.
In the advanced options window, select the ‘Startup settings‘ option.
Inside the ‘Startup settings‘ window, a list of selectable boot options will appear. Press the F7 key to disable driver signature enforcement.
Once you’ve selected the option to disable driver signature enforcement reboot back into windows.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0170sec    0.36    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th January 2023 - 07:00 PM