Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Audeze Headphones, LCD2 & LCD3

views

TSjoshuachew
post Nov 12 2012, 09:16 AM, updated 8y ago

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

user posted image

Audeze Inc. is a high-end audio technology manufacturer that delivers the most accurate sound reproduction available today. Simply put, Audeze’s goal is to re-create sound exactly as the artist intended. Our speakers are engineered with the latest innovations in material science, producing crystal clear sound and unparalleled sonic performance. The Audeze team includes a diverse set of entrepreneurs and engineers with years of experience in audio, material science, and digital media.

Our commitment to research and development is reflected in our products, which are manufactured right here in the U.S.

TECHNOLOGY

Planar Technology:
user posted image
Although speakers have been developed with a number of different technologies, the traditional cone speaker still dominates the commercial market. The Planar Transducers are fundamentally different from conventional cone speakers or dynamic drivers. Planar Magnetic speakers use a flat, lightweight diaphragm suspended in a magnetic field as the driver rather than a cone attached to a voice coil. The diaphragm has a circuit pattern etched into it that, when energized, creates the forces that drive the diaphragm to move in the magnetic field to produce sound. Planar magnetic speakers, when implemented well, have inherent advantages over cone speakers. First, the driver moves in a more piston-like manner due to the even application of force by the magnetic field surrounding the diaphragm, which reduces distortion effects. Second, the diaphragm is mounted on all sides, reducing fatigue points; Planar Magnetic speakers employ a tough polymer as the base material, which makes it much more durable than cone diaphragms. Third, because the diaphragm is very thin, it is also more responsive, leading to more faithful sound reproduction and the crispness of sound that is the hall mark of good quality speakers. And finally, because it is flat, planar magnetic drivers can dissipate heat more quickly using the large surface area of the diaphragm itself, which dramatically reduces the chance of burn-out.

Super Planar:
Audez'e employs a number of proprietary techniques to improve upon the basic planar magnetic design. Audez’e design uses a very thin, proprietary film for the diaphragm. Once etched, the diaphragm is mounted in tension between two layers of opposing magnets. This mounting process requires great precision, and Audez’e has designed proprietary methods and tools to effect a very consistent and even mount. This diaphragm manufacturing process has been tuned to ensure a flat frequency response over a wide bandwidth while ensuring a robust diaphragm and maximum efficiency of the driver.

LOTUS - Ultra Thin Diaphragm:
user posted image
Most Planar Magnetic speakers use Mylar (PET) diaphragm with aluminum traces. Audez’e transducers use new materials that offer substantial improvements for both diaphragm and traces. Audez’es proprietary LOTUS diaphragm is capable of handling maximum continuous operating temperatures
of over 400 Deg Fahrenheit, This enables the drivers to have smooth, resonance free frequency response, excellent internal damping, egde damping, very low distortion and extremely fast transient response. In addition, the Audez’e Transducers are very versatile and efficient. This enables the user to pair them with a wide variety of amplifiers. The diaphragms and transducers can be optionally made hydrophobic and dust repellant for special applications.

Low Distortion, High Performance.:

user posted image

To achieve high sensitivity, very low distortion and excellent sound quality, the Audez'e transducers incorporate very strong magnetic structure.Twelve very strong Neodymium magnets are used in each transducer (24 per headphone) to create a very strong Magnetic field. The magnetic field density is very linear between rows of magnets and along the magnetic gap as well. This creates a linear force that moves the diaphragm back and forth with extremely low distortion. The strong magnetic field also results in extremely fast transient response. The mass of the diaphragm is very light and is comparable to the mass of the air it moves during the operation.

Accuracy and Testing:
Precision is the hall mark of all Audez'e speakers and headphones. Audez'e drivers are one of the most accurate in the current market and this has been confirmed by independent tests. All our manufacturing and assembly processess have been designed with accuracy in mind. The transducers are tested every step of the production process to enforce very strict quality control process. Various test and measurements record each step of the production process. The Audez'e drivers are almost like clones because of the manufacturing consistency. Measured frequency response during regular quality control testing shows incredibly narrow spread of curves variations (with less the +/- 0.5dB). If one overlays hundreds of curves on top of each other all those graphs, the result is quite impressive compared to conventional drivers and our competitors.

Products:

AUDEZE LCD2 - BAMBOO:

user posted image

The LCD2 is the state of the art Planar Magnetic Headphone from Audez’e Inc. Every component of the LCD2 is precision engineered with one goal in mind: Recreate the sound exactly like the artist intended. LCD2 combines leading edge technology and development with knowledge, feedback and suggestions from an on-going dialogue with Sound Engineers and Audiophiles. The Audeze LCD2 uses a proprietary thin film diaphragm that is housed between a unique super efficient push-pull magnetic structure. Audezes' manufacturing process combined with the advanced materials and technology produce extremely accurate and incredible sounding headphones. The LCD2s are made of environmentally sustainable bamboo. The sloped earpads are made of premium lambskin leather with specially selected foam to offer the right amount of firmness.LCD2 is also available with leather free option. The leather free headphones use specially selected faux suede material that matches the performance of the regular LCD2.

AUDEZE LCD2 - ROSEWOOD:

user posted image

The LCD2 is the state of the art Planar Magnetic Headphone from Audez’e Inc. Every component of the LCD2 is precision engineered with one goal in mind: Recreate the sound exactly like the artist intended. LCD2 combines leading edge technology and development with knowledge, feedback and suggestions from an on-going dialogue with Sound Engineers and Audiophiles. The Audeze LCD2 uses a proprietary thin film diaphragm that is housed between a unique super efficient push-pull magnetic structure. Audeze’s manufacturing process combined with the advanced materials and technology produce extremely accurate and incredible sounding headphones. These LCD2s are made of carribean rosewood. The sloped earpads are made of premium lambskin leather with specially selected foam to offer the right amount of firmness. LCD2 is also available with leather free option. The leather free headphones use specially selected faux suede material that matches the performance of the regular LCD2.

Due to shortage in Rosewood, the LCD2 headphones might take as long as 2 weeks to ship.

AUDEZE LCD3:

user posted image
When we started designing the LCD3 professional reference headphone, the goal was very clear: it must be the absolute best. Through uncompromised standards the LCD3 provides the highest level of audio quality, unsurpassed bass extension, exceptional treble and the best mid-range you will find in headphones. The all new LOTUS diaphragm uses a special alloy for conductive traces giving us greater control and lower distortion (translation: audio that sounds like the original studio recording).
The LCD3 combines leading-edge planar technology with ongoing design input from Sound Engineers and Audiophiles. Audeze uses a proprietary thin-film diaphragm that is housed between a unique super-efficient push-pull magnetic structure. Audeze’s manufacturing process, combined with advanced materials and technology, produce extremely accurate and incredible sounding headphones. The LCD3 earcups are made of precision-crafted, hand-selected Zebra Wood (Zebrano). The sloped ear pads are made of premium lambskin leather, with specially molded foam to offer the right amount of firmness.

Owners List:
HongRui: LCD3
Stringfellow: LCD-2 rev.2
joshuachew: LCD-2 rev.2 rosewood
Problem:LCD-2 rev.2 rosewood
silwen: LCD-2 rev.2 rosewood (previously owned)

This post has been edited by joshuachew: Nov 20 2012, 07:32 AM
TSjoshuachew
post Nov 12 2012, 09:37 AM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

Regional Distributor For Audeze:

Singapore
David & Associates International
Asia offices
Email: dnaintl@pacific.net.sg &
Traveling Email: davidtan009@yahoo.com
Fax: +65 6234 3364

D&A International (Malaysia)
Updated May 4
B-2-18, Jalan PJU 1/43,
Aman Suria Damansara, 47301, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Phone: +60 19312 2030

This is the distributor for Audeze in Malaysia, I have got asked several times on the forum as to where i got my headphones from. So far with my communication with Audeze, they are the only ones allowed to sell it in the region and only retailers that get it from the distributor are covered under Audeze warranty.
TSjoshuachew
post Nov 20 2012, 07:33 AM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

QUOTE(silwen @ Nov 18 2012, 05:27 AM)
Do you take in former owners? Then LCD-2 Rosewood.

Sold mine and bought some speakers. Kept the HD800 though.

The sound is very bass focused. Oh the bass. That was compelling.
Name added to list! smile.gif
TSjoshuachew
post Nov 21 2012, 06:38 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

The Audeze's don't really need a crazy amp to drive them. I use the LCD2 for my portable headphone set up when I am not on my customs.

This post has been edited by joshuachew: Nov 21 2012, 06:40 PM
TSjoshuachew
post Nov 21 2012, 10:58 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Nov 21 2012, 07:11 PM)
really subjective case for low impedance headphones when it comes to amps lol.
It's fairly straightforward actually. The Audeze line of headphones are easy to drive. I don't see how it's subjective whether or not a headphone is easy to drive.
TSjoshuachew
post Nov 21 2012, 11:00 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

QUOTE(FrostLance @ Nov 21 2012, 09:18 PM)
same.. i really like the LCD2 more than the t1.. too bad the one at jaben ss15 sudah kene sold.. now no place to play it.. still saving money for one for my own..
I didn't know that Jaben is allowed to sell Audeze. The distro in Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand is D&A.
TSjoshuachew
post Nov 27 2012, 08:11 AM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

QUOTE(jwcy @ Nov 26 2012, 03:10 PM)
Didn't know that Jaben aren't allowed to sell Audeze?

I bought my LCD-2 R2 from Jaben, as did many others, I'm sure.
You can try contacting Audeze or you could locate the distributor for this region:

D&A International (Malaysia)
Updated May 4
B-2-18, Jalan PJU 1/43,
Aman Suria Damansara, 47301, Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Phone: +60 19312 2030
Email : dnaintl@pacific.net.sg

and ask them and see. Because that is what I have been told from Audeze' themselves when i wanted to buy mine.
TSjoshuachew
post Feb 9 2013, 02:20 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Nov 27 2012, 10:59 AM)
bro, distributor, not necessarily sole retailer.

unless D&A specifically mentioned that they are the only one (or whoever they assigned) allowed to retail audeze exclusively, jaben has every right to sell audeze.

it's just like your everyday product where there is a 'sole distributor', imported by xxx company, and it appearing in shelves of supermarkets nationwide
If you check the website out: AUDEZE they state that D&A is the sole distributor for the SEA Region and I have talked to David myself and he has said that Jaben is not one of their resellers for Audeze and they are not covered under his warranty, and D&A is the distro for SEA so yeah.. I wouldn't take my chances.
TSjoshuachew
post Feb 11 2013, 05:33 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

They are all balanced
TSjoshuachew
post Feb 11 2013, 08:43 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

Yes it's the 4 pin XLR
TSjoshuachew
post Feb 16 2013, 05:20 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

Being friends with David is one thing. Getting your units
from him is another thing. Anyway; yes, no point arguing here.

user posted image

This post has been edited by joshuachew: Feb 16 2013, 05:21 PM
TSjoshuachew
post Aug 8 2013, 01:04 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

QUOTE(stringfellow @ Aug 8 2013, 12:15 PM)
Thread necro!

Just got the Whiplash new Twag v3 Hybrid 6 Feet Mini-balanced to Audeze LCD headphones XLR connectors for my LCD2. This will go with the AK120+ALO International amp balanced and iPod Classic+HP-P1+ALO Continental V2/ALO RX MK3-B balanced.

user posted image
Damn Mike. Damn.
TSjoshuachew
post Aug 8 2013, 04:55 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

QUOTE(noobandroid @ Aug 8 2013, 04:17 PM)
damm the necro or damm the combo :-P
Definitely the combo.
TSjoshuachew
post Apr 3 2014, 09:27 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

LCD X babyyyyyyyyyyy!!!
TSjoshuachew
post Apr 5 2014, 05:52 AM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

QUOTE(yang2910 @ Apr 5 2014, 04:39 AM)
Upgrading into LCD X? biggrin.gif
Yes bought two days ago.
TSjoshuachew
post Apr 5 2014, 08:12 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

QUOTE(yang2910 @ Apr 5 2014, 05:49 PM)
Mind to share the sound of it compared to the LCD 2? drool.gif
Well..... I went in to buy the LCD3. So yea. Lol.
TSjoshuachew
post Apr 10 2014, 10:56 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
TSjoshuachew
post Apr 11 2014, 08:31 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

QUOTE(jchue73 @ Apr 11 2014, 03:30 PM)
joshuachew, how does the LCD-2 sound compared to LCD-X? Lots of difference to warrant an upgrade?

Why LCD-X instead of LCD-3?
I wouldn't so much say that it is an upgrade and hence why I am keeping the LCD 2 and not selling it off.
The sound signature of the LCD X is different from the LCD2.
I would say that the LCD3 is an upgrade of the LCD2 in terms of sound . The LCD3 is an extension of the sound signature of the LCD2 and an improvement of it. (obviously)
But the LCDX and the LCD XC sounds totally different in signature of the older series of the Audeze headphones (LCD2/3).
The LCDX to me sounds like a HE6 to me. And that's why I bought it over the 3. The LCDX makes the LCD2/3 sound boring and less lively. The treble on the LCDX has more energy while still remaining smooth ala HE6. I would say that the LCDX marries the best of the Hifiman sound signature (HE6) and the Audeze LCD2/3.

But this is just me, I found the LCD-XC to be very congested, and the treble extremely harsh and the presentation messy and not coherent. But that's just me. If you guys do get to listen to them, do tell me what you think about it. In terms of the sound of the LCD2/3/X/XC.
TSjoshuachew
post Apr 12 2014, 12:06 AM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

QUOTE(Problem @ Apr 11 2014, 11:24 PM)
Comparing between when I had LCD2/LCD3 on the Burson Soloist and Woo Audio WA6-SE

The LCD2 has a unique bass presentation of all dynamic/planar headphones I have ever tried before where it extends quite low especially in the lower/sub bass region. However, when I had it paired with the Burson Soloist when I had it, I felt some slight grain in the upper region of the LCD2.

The LCD3 on the other hand is more smooth, like silky smooth compared to the LCD2 although you're giving up some of the bass slam that LCD2 offers but definitely an improvement in the soundstage division (probably due to thinner magnets compared to the LCD2) and grain free in the upper region.
The LCD3 sounds beautiful on most genre though I would give personal recommendation on the LCD2 if you enjoy the bass slam it offers.

Tried the LCDX for a very short period and surprised how much Audeze have improved over these few years after the release of the LCD2/3 and as Joshua mentioned, it is voiced very differently where I felt it has a slight mid-forward signature especially on the treble energy.

It would appear that the current trend on head-fi is that the LCDX is currently in favour over the LCD3 as it is easier to match on most genre of music.
Relieved that I am not imagining things and justifying my purchases. Lol. Upgraditis hasn't got the better of me. Someone else agrees with what I heard and hence my decision to buy it. cool.gif whistling.gif
TSjoshuachew
post Apr 12 2014, 12:21 PM

Portable Master Race
1,828 posts

QUOTE(Problem @ Apr 12 2014, 08:09 AM)
It's good to know what you're buying, for me I felt the LCD3 was not worth the upgrade over the LCD2 although some folks who are aiming for that final bit may disagree otherwise.

Maybe I'll consider the LCDX in the future, now I'm waiting for my new amp to be built
If at the time of purchasing I had the funds, I would have gone straight for the LCD3. But unfortunately at that time I could only afford the 2. But having the 2. I don't think it's worth it to upgrade too. But I went to AV One with the intention of buying the 3 and selling the 2. But after I auditioned the new line of LCD's... I decided to keep the 2 and get the X as their signatures compliments each other and they don't overlap.
What's your take on the XC? Does it sound closed(congested) and messy to you? Treble to me was peaky and harsh too.

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0428sec    0.43    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:26 AM