Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[Question]Ranking Site

views

TSiloveteddybear
post Nov 6 2012, 10:15 AM, updated 12y ago

Getting Started
216 posts

Hi there,
I want to make a site and is struggling in choosing a domain name extension between .com and .com.my in terms of ranking the site top 10 in search engines.
Would it be easier to rank with a .com or .com.my because the audience targeted are mostly Malaysians, its a local business.
So would the .com.my domain given a priority to be searched by a local or is it the same as the .com.
Thanks and sorry if the question is not clear. smile.gif
nano28
post Nov 6 2012, 10:19 AM

Enthusiast
850 posts

Hi Teddy Bear..

I think it's up to what you want achive..

If you are building a company.. a real long term company.. it's better to find brandable domain. Something that easy to memorize.

Whether it's .com or .com.my is not that important as currently google focusing on quality content rather than domain name.

It may give some impact, but not high enough compared to backlinks from relevant sites.
TSiloveteddybear
post Nov 6 2012, 10:27 AM

Getting Started
216 posts

QUOTE(nano28 @ Nov 6 2012, 11:19 AM)
Hi Teddy Bear..

I think it's up to what you want achive..

If you are building a company.. a real long term company.. it's better to find brandable domain. Something that easy to memorize.

Whether it's .com or .com.my is not that important as currently google focusing on quality content rather than domain name.

It may give some impact, but not high enough compared to backlinks from relevant sites.
Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. It is an already established company.

Is it advisable to go for a server or just a normal hosting plan and which company to go for?

Well someone suggested extabytes but i've seen some bad reviews about them and it gives me some doubts though blink.gif
BlackWoods
post Nov 6 2012, 10:53 AM

Dark Knight
2,152 posts

If your main target is Malaysian, it is better to get a .com.my domain or .my domain as Google will give higher points for localized domain.
mafioso
post Nov 6 2012, 10:57 AM

6,130 posts

hi,

to obtain a .com.my you need to have a company registered.
do you have a company registered?

my advise is to buy both domains.
as you might not know if you need it in the future.

.com only costs less than 40 bucks, so its better to invest in a .com (providing its available) to protect your brand name (if it ever becomes a brand someday/you want this to be a brand)

if both are available, you should purchase both and then choose either .com or .com.my as the main..

example: if .com is the main, then when user keys in www.domain.com.my -> set up the option for it to redirect to www.domain.com.

only 1 hosting package is needed for this.
TSiloveteddybear
post Nov 6 2012, 12:24 PM

Getting Started
216 posts

So it is necessary to have a company registered?
I have yet not registered a company...will do so soon i think.
Thanks for all your help smile.gif
mafioso
post Nov 6 2012, 12:43 PM

6,130 posts

QUOTE(iloveteddybear @ Nov 6 2012, 12:24 PM)
So it is necessary to have a company registered?
I have yet not registered a company...will do so soon i think.
Thanks for all your help smile.gif
it really depends..
IF the product that you're trying to show the public doesnt require a business license.

you may try not to register a company first, but you have no choice to get .com

however, if you really feel like you want to get a .com.my then register an enterprise.. but do understand the consequence you will be facing
if shyte does happen to you (for enterprise)

sendirian berhad is safer (your assets wont be affected) -> but it costs more than 1000.
however, for enterprise, lets say something bad happened to your company, if you have a car/house registered under your name..
it will be lost if the related department wants to seize it.

for sendirian berhad, it'll only affect whatever that is from the company ONLY.
but dont forget you are being taxed!

so try to avoid registering for a company first if your product doesnt require a registered company in order for it to run.
see if you have any results/revenue first from running this website, then decide whether or not you should register a company.

axis_lua
post Nov 6 2012, 01:57 PM

Enthusiast
929 posts

.com or .com.my both are able to target Malaysia only audience. for .com you will need to register yourself to google webmaster to point specific to Malaysia as targeted audience but for .com.my, you don't have to set that but it only limits to Malaysia as priority compare to a TLD which you are flexi to re-prioritize if needed
TSiloveteddybear
post Nov 6 2012, 03:50 PM

Getting Started
216 posts

QUOTE(axis_lua @ Nov 6 2012, 02:57 PM)
.com or .com.my both are able to target Malaysia only audience. for .com you will need to register yourself to google webmaster to point specific to Malaysia as targeted audience but for .com.my, you don't have to set that but it only limits to Malaysia as priority compare to a TLD which you are flexi to re-prioritize if needed
Hi there, may i know how do you point the domain to a specified audience using google webmaster tools? and if they are targeted, other people from different geographical area will not be able to search my site?
FirezZ
post Nov 6 2012, 06:52 PM

Naise kukUpi
1,988 posts

i guess, for searched ranking ... this depends on your SEO skill and i dont think domains is one of your concern now.

.com.my - shows that the domain is handled / owned by MAlaysian / company registered under ssm
.com - everyone can owns it.. as long as you pay rm 40 per year.

there is no harm for you buying 2 of them .com and .com.my.. just redirect them to either one (mostly will be redirected to .com.my)
with this .com.my extension, physiologically, people will assumes you are
indeed into this business whereas .com .. there is still perception, ok, you are buying the domain and trying your luck tho.

axis_lua
post Nov 7 2012, 01:26 PM

Enthusiast
929 posts

QUOTE(sampride @ Oct 31 2012, 02:59 PM)
POP3 is use to received email, not sending mail. You need to configure your script to use smtp since they implemented such filter.
QUOTE(iloveteddybear @ Nov 6 2012, 03:50 PM)
Hi there, may i know how do you point the domain to a specified audience using google webmaster tools? and if they are targeted, other people from different geographical area will not be able to search my site?
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/the-ess...er-tools/30662/

here you go. Other country will still be able to search your website, targeting just prioritize your geographic area and tell google your target audience so you compete locally rather than internationally
twgirl
post Nov 7 2012, 03:25 PM

1 posts

if the .com is available.. i would definitely go for that smile.gif
iWill
post Nov 7 2012, 03:46 PM

Enthusiast
879 posts

Regional domain (.com.my) used to be able to rank better for regional searches. But this is getting less obvious now. A TLD like .com can be used to target regional searches as well - if you know the tricks wink.gif
gregghawes
post Nov 8 2012, 07:11 PM

Casual
455 posts

For me .com wins everytime. If you have a .com.my you will limit yourself just to the Malaysian market as it will be much harder to rank that on other google's. Get a .com and use a Malaysian ip for your hosting and you cant go wrong, buy the .com.my as a backup and forward it to the .com.
nano28
post Nov 8 2012, 11:30 PM

Enthusiast
850 posts

For me .com wins everytime. If you have a .com.my you will limit yourself just to the Malaysian market as it will be much harder to rank that on other google's. Get a .com and use a Malaysian ip for your hosting and you cant go wrong, buy the .com.my as a backup and forward it to the .com. ,

+1
sephirothvr
post Nov 9 2012, 03:20 PM

On my way
625 posts

QUOTE(gregghawes @ Nov 8 2012, 07:11 PM)
For me .com wins everytime. If you have a .com.my you will limit yourself just to the Malaysian market as it will be much harder to rank that on other google's. Get a .com and use a Malaysian ip for your hosting and you cant go wrong, buy the .com.my as a backup and forward it to the .com.
i agree with him..
Just2centslah
post May 19 2020, 06:18 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

Regional or not, .com is the best.

Hosting plan depends on how much your traffic expected, where your traffic are from, how heavy your site is (images, program, etc), etc

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0158sec    0.67    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:58 PM