Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Oh Cameron Highland! Its a silent tragedy!, One day, Cameron will be hotter than KL! (Social Issues)

lilyginger
post Oct 27 2012, 10:43 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

If anyone been to Cameron Highland recently, the weather is not as cooling anymore. The reason is because there is just too much development in Cameron Highland.

This tragedy is not only in Cameron Highland, even the Kinabalu park is also going to face demise as those beauty paradise of cooling weather because of too much development.

This have been highlighted countless of time, but no one seem to care. The most is just temporary move by you know who to stop the development and then it will continue like tak apa again.

This is from a letter to The Star on 26th October 2012 ; What's happening in Cameron Highland is a tragedy.

What’s happening in Cameron’s is a tragedy

I AM writing in response to the terrible tragedy that has befallen the once lovely Cameron Highlands due to man’s greed, corruption and arrogance.

On my first visit to the Cameron Highlands in the late 70s, I was taken aback by the spectacular beauty of the place that it inspired me to write a heartfelt poem on it.

The grandeur and stillness of the lofty mountains and valleys, especially the silent Blue Valley Tea estate, nestled among the hills dazzled me.

The chill highland winds, the green carpets of tea plantations embracing the mountains, the dazzling flowers and ever ready radiant smiles of the inhabitants, all enraptured me.

Words came flowing as emotions recollected in tranquillity in the stillness of my heart, culminating in a lovely poem.

Sadly and unfortunately, so much has changed since.

Many of the lofty mountains have been butchered, razed to the ground to facilitate indiscriminate development, highway projects etc.

This is further compounded by the excessive, irresponsible use of pesticides, chemicals and pollutants for unbridled farming activities.

Consequently, man’s greed and callous actions have inflicted serious ecological damage upon the highlands, resulting in pollution of land, air and water and significant increase in temperature!

During the time of my first visit 30 years ago, visitors had to use sweaters and other warm clothing even during daytime because even then (daytime), temperatures were relatively cool to warrant such attire.

Nowadays, even the nights are getting warmer, not to speak of the heat during the day, thanks to the horrifying indifference and relentless greed of a powerful few.

Amazingly, there are even traffic jams in the highlands during peak seasons, further aggravating the mounting miseries faced by the beloved mountains!

T. LOGAINTHIRAN
Kuala Lumpur

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skydrake
post Oct 27 2012, 10:54 AM

Pre-marinated BBQ Meat Seller @ KL / PJ
Group: Senior Member

this is terrible man made greed tragedy ~ shakehead.gif

This post has been edited by skydrake: Oct 27 2012, 10:54 AM
+Quote Post
EarendurFefalas
post Oct 27 2012, 04:17 PM

Getting Started

That is the consequences for development

Some people like the green nature and some is not

There is nothing can be done except to look into another place
+Quote Post
RS42
post Oct 27 2012, 05:40 PM

Getting Started

When there is no development, the people make noise,
when there is development, the people also make noise.

A balance must be set by the government but it won't be easy cause they can never satisfy all parties.
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Oct 28 2012, 09:31 AM

Casual

Development is OK if they take into consideration of the sustainability of environment in Cameron Highland but this is not the case currently.

If continue like this for sure Cameron Highland will have weather equivalent to KL one day in the future. By that time whatever pihak berkuasa tempatan do will not reverse the destruction. This have happened to Kinabalu Park too.

I don't know why in this country whenever a place is identified as pristine, cool and scenic spot for vacation, the hotel and every kind of resort would mushroom at the place without any consideration for the environment. Its like go in first, build everything without thinking about the consequences.

Is it too late to save Cameron Highland now??
+Quote Post
RigorMortis
post Nov 12 2012, 10:38 PM

QUOTE(lilyginger @ Oct 28 2012, 09:31 AM)
Development is OK if they take into consideration of the sustainability of environment in Cameron Highland but this is not the case currently.

If continue like this for sure Cameron Highland will have weather equivalent to KL one day in the future. By that time whatever pihak berkuasa tempatan do will not reverse the destruction. This have happened to Kinabalu Park too.

I don't know why in this country whenever a place is identified as pristine, cool and scenic spot for vacation, the hotel and every kind of resort would mushroom at the place without any consideration for the environment. Its like go in first, build everything without thinking about the consequences.

I went to Cameron just last month.

It's beautiful wherever there's less humans, above brincang. I was at equatorial hotel.

Tanah Rata is a disaster, it's noisy and congested with cars.

They should work to preserve whatever that's left. Or rather stop anymore development work, to preserve what's left thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
GaretJenna
post Nov 13 2012, 08:30 AM

Everyone wants a baby

Personally, i like development, any development is good.

if we look at cameron, is the trees giving more revenue, or the buildings? if the buildings give more revenue, we replace the trees.

we keep trees in tourism area's. but in other areas, we develop it into buildings

this is how we balance our revenue. if its a tourism attraction point, we maintain because the trees generate revenue. if its not, we replace it with palm oil, buildings, development.

This MUST continue, if not, we will lose competitiveness to our neighbours. beingstagnant is NOT an option. stagnant leads to death. just like USA and europe now. they are facing stagnant growth. this is a result of stopping our growth engine

we must NOT stop development. more highways. more MRT. more buildings.

if you want to preserve nature, make sure the nature generates revenue. if not, potong. more palm oil. Palm oil trees gives as much oxygen as normal trees, except it generates revenue. hence, replace.
+Quote Post
redkop63
post Nov 13 2012, 10:03 AM

Getting Started

It's sad to know what has become of Cameron Highlands now it's the nearest we can have to experience temperate climate. I remember many years ago as a very young man, after SRP me and my friends packed our bags and ended up at Tanah Rata waterfall at 6.30pm for a camping session and I had the nearest encounter of being frozen to death and that memory still lives with me. Cameron Highlands is one of the few places in Malaysia that one can experience a really cool climate and mist coming out of our mouth and nose. The last time i was there about a year ago I noticed the climate is not as cold as what I knew before and after so many years I saw many new hotels and motels. It's good in the name of development by having these new hotels and motels but if we keep chopping down trees to accomodate these hotels and motels, the environment and its character will be lost, and when the environment is lost the hotels and motels would not serve its purpose because local tourists will shy away as what i commonly hear nowadays from my fellow friends. There must be a compromise somewhere, local town planners must give it a serious thought.
+Quote Post
RigorMortis
post Nov 13 2012, 12:01 PM

Wow rclxms.gif

If you have a mountain full of palm trees and hot as the climate below, who is going to buy the developments?

The reason people go up Cameron is for the biodiversity and fresh air, not for palm trees.

And nobody is going to guarantee the lucrativeness of palm. If the whole of EU stops importing palm, it's going to wreck a havoc in the economy.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...1236766/1/.html

You cannot have such a simplistic mindset, there is no way you can introduce biodiversity back once you have ruined that area. Take your development works elsewhere. icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
GaretJenna
post Nov 13 2012, 06:56 PM

Everyone wants a baby

QUOTE(RigorMortis @ Nov 13 2012, 12:01 PM)
Wow  rclxms.gif 

If you have a mountain full of palm trees and hot as the climate below, who is going to buy the developments?

The reason people go up Cameron is for the biodiversity and fresh air, not for palm trees.
And nobody is going to guarantee the lucrativeness of palm. If the whole of EU stops importing palm, it's going to wreck a havoc in the economy.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...1236766/1/.html
You cannot have such a simplistic mindset, there is no way you can introduce biodiversity back once you have ruined that area. Take your development works elsewhere.  icon_rolleyes.gif
Sure. if they want to stop cooking with oil, then its going to cause havoc. In the SHORT TERM

But remember. long term fundamentals always means that population will outgrow commodities. thats why palm oil is always a win win investment in the long term. EVENTUALLY, population will outgrow palm oil growth. and thats where the money comes in.

As i said. if cameron REALLY generates a lot of tourists which justifies the trees, then keep the trees. but if not, cut it down for development. the value of an area is purely the revenue and tax generated from it. we need to stop using emotion like "oh the place is not going to be beautiful anymore etc etc".

if cameron is not beautiful, go to taman negara. move your tourists where you want them to be. But eventually, the country needs to move forward. we need more land. more food. more palm oil. more oil. more services. more EVERYTHING. afterall, peopel want more income. hence, the country MUST grow. we MUST develop. who is going to pay that extra income? its that extra land used for development that are paying tax.

as i said. we need to stop using emotions and talk purely on the revenue generation of an area. emotions should NEVER enter politics.

If you want cameron to retain their trees, prove that the tourist receipts and revenue and tax generation could supersede the revenue generated from developing + palm oil minus negative externalities (polution and clean up).

as i said. EMOTIONS should never enter politics. only numbers and revenue and dollar and cents matter,

we should NOT care if my or your mother has a house in cameron. if the house is not productive, and it is better to restructure the land, buy the land area from my or your mother, and put a condo, then do it. the government's job is to make money and more money and develop. hence, they should be devoid of emotion.

This post has been edited by GaretJenna: Nov 13 2012, 06:58 PM
+Quote Post
Damocles
post Nov 13 2012, 09:15 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(lilyginger @ Oct 27 2012, 10:43 AM)
If anyone been to Cameron Highland recently, the weather is not as cooling anymore. The reason is because there is just too much development in Cameron Highland.

This tragedy is not only in Cameron Highland, even the Kinabalu park is also going to face demise as those beauty paradise of cooling weather because of too much development.

This have been highlighted countless of time, but no one seem to care. The most is just temporary move by you know who to stop the development and then it will continue like tak apa again.

This is from a letter to The Star on 26th October 2012 ; What's happening in Cameron Highland is a tragedy.

I AM writing in response to the terrible tragedy that has befallen the once lovely Cameron Highlands due to man’s greed, corruption and arrogance.

On my first visit to the Cameron Highlands in the late 70s, I was taken aback by the spectacular beauty of the place that it inspired me to write a heartfelt poem on it.

The grandeur and stillness of the lofty mountains and valleys, especially the silent Blue Valley Tea estate, nestled among the hills dazzled me.

The chill highland winds, the green carpets of tea plantations embracing the mountains, the dazzling flowers and ever ready radiant smiles of the inhabitants, all enraptured me.

Words came flowing as emotions recollected in tranquillity in the stillness of my heart, culminating in a lovely poem.

Many of the lofty mountains have been butchered, razed to the ground to facilitate indiscriminate development, highway projects etc.

This is further compounded by the excessive, irresponsible use of pesticides, chemicals and pollutants for unbridled farming activities.

Consequently, man’s greed and callous actions have inflicted serious ecological damage upon the highlands, resulting in pollution of land, air and water and significant increase in temperature!

During the time of my first visit 30 years ago, visitors had to use sweaters and other warm clothing even during daytime because even then (daytime), temperatures were relatively cool to warrant such attire.

Nowadays, even the nights are getting warmer, not to speak of the heat during the day, thanks to the horrifying indifference and relentless greed of a powerful few.

Amazingly, there are even traffic jams in the highlands during peak seasons, further aggravating the mounting miseries faced by the beloved mountains!

T. LOGAINTHIRAN
Kuala Lumpur
This is one more reason to chuck out the UMNO/BN government!!!
They have destroying this country in every possible way during their five-and-a-half decade rule!!!!

Added on November 13, 2012, 9:16 pm

T. LOGAINTHIRAN
Kuala Lumpur
They have destroying this country in every possible way during their five-and-a-half decade rule!!!!

Added on November 13, 2012, 9:24 pm

If you dump UMNO/BN, you not only save Cameron Highland.
You'll save the whole of Malaysia.
They can always use the excuse that they are developing the country so that there'll be more income.
But we all know where the money will go to, don't we?

Added on November 13, 2012, 9:33 pm
QUOTE(GaretJenna @ Nov 13 2012, 06:56 PM)
Sure. if they want to stop cooking with oil, then its going to cause havoc. In the SHORT TERM

But remember. long term fundamentals always means that population will outgrow commodities. thats why palm oil is always a win win investment in the long term. EVENTUALLY, population will outgrow palm oil growth. and thats where the money comes in.

As i said. if cameron REALLY generates a lot of tourists which justifies the trees, then keep the trees. but if not, cut it down for development. the value of an area is purely the revenue and tax generated from it. we need to stop using emotion like "oh the place is not going to be beautiful anymore etc etc".

if cameron is not beautiful, go to taman negara. move your tourists where you want them to be. But eventually, the country needs to move forward. we need more land. more food. more palm oil. more oil. more services. more EVERYTHING. afterall, peopel want more income. hence, the country MUST grow. we MUST develop. who is going to pay that extra income? its that extra land used for development that are paying tax.

as i said. we need to stop using emotions and talk purely on the revenue generation of an area. emotions should NEVER enter politics.

If you want cameron to retain their trees, prove that the tourist receipts and revenue and tax generation could supersede the revenue generated from developing + palm oil minus negative externalities (polution and clean up).

as i said. EMOTIONS should never enter politics. only numbers and revenue and dollar and cents matter,

we should NOT care if my or your mother has a house in cameron. if the house is not productive, and it is better to restructure the land, buy the land area from my or your mother, and put a condo, then do it. the government's job is to make money and more money and develop. hence, they should be devoid of emotion.
Yes, it's the government's job to make more money.
By destroying the country.
But we all know where that money goes to, don't we?
In fact, in one African country, the government puts up signboards reading:
Save the animals, shoot the poachers!!!
We all know the the trade in animals are worth plenty of money; much more than the tourist industry but the money went to the poachers!!!
Just like here, the money obtained don't benefit the people, they only benefit the elites in the government!!!!
That's why those in the ruling party are going hell bent to exploit the situation!!!!!

This post has been edited by Damocles: Nov 13 2012, 09:33 PM
+Quote Post
drfeelgood
post Nov 14 2012, 08:23 AM

Regular

because all those greedy developers need to do is to bring lots of kopi to the municipal or town council or whatever, and the plan all "lulus" without any problems! this is evident so in Pahang! even lynas can easily set up base in Kuantan!

God bless all the people in Kuantan and Gambang.
+Quote Post
GaretJenna
post Nov 14 2012, 08:45 AM

Everyone wants a baby

QUOTE(Damocles @ Nov 13 2012, 09:15 PM)

Added on November 13, 2012, 9:16 pm

Added on November 13, 2012, 9:24 pm

If you dump UMNO/BN, you not only save Cameron Highland.
You'll save the whole of Malaysia.
They can always use the excuse that they are developing the country so that there'll be more income.
But we all know where the money will go to, don't we?

Added on November 13, 2012, 9:33 pm

Yes, it's the government's job to make more money.
By destroying the country.
But we all know where that money goes to, don't we?
In fact, in one African country, the government puts up signboards reading:
Save the animals, shoot the poachers!!!
We all know the the trade in animals are worth plenty of money; much more than the tourist industry but the money went to the poachers!!!
Just like here, the money obtained don't benefit the people, they only benefit the elites in the government!!!!
That's why those in the ruling party are going hell bent to exploit the situation!!!!!
personally i dont care.
more governmetn revenue means less burden on taxpayers such as me

thats why development must continue.

sure, whenever we have infrastructure projects, big companies will gain profit (and we call such profits songlap). But, thats a different matter altogether

by your logic, government should not expense or take revenue. which wholly beats the point already.

we need the infrastructure, hence, songlap is not a reason to not increase government revenue. afterall, we do need the roads, infrastructure, hence, we need revenue for the government.

thats why to me, we should put emotions aside.

if there is songlap, then impute songlap. if there is profits, impute profits. the bottom line is, more government revenue means more infrastructure and less taxpayers burden

as a taxpayer, as long as its more profitable to develop, we develop. because if we dont, we will lose out.

its as simple as that.

+Quote Post
matthewctj
post Nov 14 2012, 09:54 AM

Regular

Unfortunate as it may sound, stopping development is not an option. From where I'm standing, if you stop development here for the sake of preserving nature, it only just pushes the development elsewhere. And as we know, most elsewhere which isn't develop also has trees. That is where development takes place.

What I would like to see is more places like Central Park in New York. I agree, we cannot stop development. To do so would be the death of the nation. But planning and incorporating green lungs should always be in place. But no, when you look at developments these days, they think just by implementing a playground or planting a tree in front of every house is enough. 1 freaking tree in front of a house which has 3-5 cars just isn't going to cut it.

In the case of Cameron Highlands or any highlands for that matter, the whole reason for any tourism in that area is the climate. As it is, we are already lacking in highlands which provide a nice getaway for many families who can't afford to go overseas. Continuation of rapid development does not speak well of the future of CH at all.
+Quote Post
ALeUNe
post Nov 14 2012, 10:08 AM

I'm the purebred with aristocratic pedigree
Group Icon
Group: VIP

Yes, it is.
+Quote Post
quintesson
post Nov 14 2012, 04:54 PM

Casual

yes development is good but there MUST be a balance between development and preserving the environment. do some of you mean for the sake of development we don't really if Cameron Highlands is turn into a bald mountain.
look at those developed countries they will try as much as posssible to maintain theirs' green lungs cause they know it's unreplaceable.
Malaysia still have a lot of 'ulu-ulu' places that require development, why don't they do something about it?
+Quote Post
redkop63
post Nov 14 2012, 05:51 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(quintesson @ Nov 14 2012, 04:54 PM)
yes development is good but there MUST be a balance between development and preserving the environment. do some of you mean for the sake of development we don't really if Cameron Highlands is turn into a bald mountain.
look at those developed countries they will try as much as posssible to maintain theirs' green lungs cause they know it's unreplaceable.
Malaysia still have a lot of 'ulu-ulu' places that require development, why don't they do something about it?
Exactly. I'm not a frequent visitor to Cameron Highlands (CH) only 3 times in the last 35 years, so it can't be said that I'm bias towards preserving the environment. When I hear friends from down south telling me they're going to CH for a holiday, I was so proud and I still do, meaning they appreciate the climate, it is one of CH's natural heritage. Just wonder who're the people that built the road all the way up there, have to salute them.

There're places that can be developed but some can't because we most probably can't have both at the same. In my earlier post I mentioned the town planners must play an active role. It could be a case of say within a radius of 20kms or more from the centre point of Tanah Rata there shall not be any major development and no trees are allowed to be fell. I'm putting 20 or more kms as an example, I'm no environmentalist, so I can't tell exactly while development can take place outside that restricted zone.

Take for instance China with its panda bears, it's natural habitat is around the Sichuan province, if i'm not mistaken. It has come to the attention of the Chinese government that poachers and illegal logging is destroying the environment and if they don't take measures to curb it, panda bears will be extincted in the very near future. One of my most touching moment is coming face to face with a panda bear live, the bear's giant paw touching mine only to be separated by a glass vision panel and this is one of a kind experience that I struggle to find words to describe. Coming back to Malaysia, the anolgy of the panda bear will be the CH's weather itself, we lose the weather we lose the identity of Ch and Ch will only be a distant memory.

+Quote Post
fu'house
post Nov 14 2012, 06:13 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(redkop63 @ Nov 13 2012, 10:03 AM)
It's sad to know what has become of Cameron Highlands now it's the nearest we can have to experience temperate climate. I remember many years ago as a very young man, after SRP me and my friends packed our bags and ended up at Tanah Rata waterfall at 6.30pm for a camping session and I had the nearest encounter of being frozen to death and that memory still lives  with me. Cameron Highlands is one of the few places in Malaysia that one can experience a really cool climate and mist coming out of our mouth and nose. The last time i was there about a year ago I noticed the climate is not as cold as what I knew before and after so many years I saw many new hotels and motels. It's good in the name of development by having these new hotels and motels but if we keep chopping  down trees to accomodate these hotels and motels, the environment and its character will be lost, and when the environment is lost the hotels and motels would not serve its purpose because local tourists will shy away as what i commonly hear nowadays from my fellow friends. There must be a compromise somewhere, local town planners must give it a serious thought.
QUOTE(redkop63 @ Nov 14 2012, 05:51 PM)
Exactly. I'm not a frequent visitor to Cameron Highlands (CH) only 3 times in the last 35 years, so it can't be said that I'm bias towards preserving the environment. When I hear friends from down south telling me they're going to CH for a holiday, I was so proud and I still do, meaning they appreciate the climate, it is one of CH's natural heritage. Just wonder who're the people that built the road all the way up there, have to salute them.

There're places that can be developed but some can't because we most probably can't have both at the same. In my earlier post I mentioned the town planners must play an active role. It could be a case of say within a radius of 20kms or more from the centre point of Tanah Rata there shall not be any major development and no trees are allowed to be fell. I'm putting 20 or more kms as an example, I'm no environmentalist, so I can't tell exactly while development can take place outside that restricted zone.

Take for instance China with its panda bears, it's natural habitat is around the Sichuan province, if i'm not mistaken. It has come to the attention of the Chinese government that poachers and illegal logging is destroying the environment and if they don't take measures to curb it, panda bears will be extincted in the very near future. One of my most touching moment is coming face to face with a panda bear live, the bear's giant paw touching mine only to be separated by a glass vision panel and this is one of a kind experience that I struggle to find words to describe. Coming back to Malaysia, the anolgy of the panda bear will be the CH's weather itself, we lose the weather we lose the identity of Ch and Ch will only be a distant memory.
I would vouch/take an oath on your words. The coldness was the best in the past. You can feel the ground soil is moist and wet. You can feel the clouds are surrounding you. It was joy when it doesn't seem so hot even at 2pm.

It was freezing cold, then it went to chilly cold breeze and maybe today warm like anywhere in Malaysia. Like you, I visited the land of fruits, cold climate, tea, English style meal and strawberry 2-3 times in duration of last 20 years.

I remember during my previous trip there on 31st December 2010. I was heading to Tanah Rata, Brinchang and Kampung Raja for old times sake with a cabbie. Let me quoted it word by word, unchanged.

When the current BN MP is here, Cameron Highlands is developed but you seelah, it became less cold. You can see the new bus terminal there. The tall buildings there they are building. After the next GE I think we at Cameron Highlands don't them anymore.

I would pay a million ringgit ringgit/USD to take a trip back to pre-2000 Cameron Highlands.
+Quote Post
redkop63
post Nov 19 2012, 10:22 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(fu'house @ Nov 14 2012, 06:13 PM)
I would vouch/take an oath on your words. The coldness was the best in the past. You can feel the ground soil is moist and wet. You can feel the clouds are surrounding you. It was joy when it doesn't seem so hot even at 2pm.

It was freezing cold, then it went to chilly cold breeze and maybe today warm like anywhere in Malaysia. Like you, I visited the land of fruits, cold climate, tea, English style meal and strawberry 2-3 times in duration of last 20 years.

I remember during my previous trip there on 31st December 2010. I was heading to Tanah Rata, Brinchang and Kampung Raja for old times sake with a cabbie. Let me quoted it word by word, unchanged.
I would pay a million ringgit ringgit/USD to take a trip back to pre-2000 Cameron Highlands.
Glad to know that you share the same opinion. We can develope certain areas but certain areas we just can't over develop in the name of development, because once we do it we will lose the environment forever? When I said I was nearly frozen to dead back then, it is not an exaggeration, yes indeed I was nearly dead. starting with my fingers, all due to our naievty as a teenager and I may just barely stay alive under current situation. By god's grace I'm still alive.

Ok, on a fair note, we moved on with time, the country's population has doubled or tripled over the years and naturally traffic to Cameron Highlands will also increase, so will the demand for hotels/motels. Why not we consider offering the current 1/2 story shop owners or plot of lands already with buildings a good compensation package that they simply can't refuse and redevelop those areas into hotels/motels, hence, no massive tress will need to be chopped while the original footprint is already there for redevelopment.

There must be a Master Plan in place for Cameron Highlands to cater for the needs in the next 20 to 30 years to ensure we protect the environment and yet we don't stifle the developmentof the locals. I'm no town planner, so I can't tell exactly what needs to be done. Your cabbie experience is a clear indication that locals are also feeling uneasy with the rate of development where they, being locals, treasures the environment very much.

Talking of strawberries, I'm not sure whether I'd get the chance to take my grandchildren to see and pick live strawberries in Cameron Highland in future or I'd have to bring them abroad to do so. But again like many I'm not rich, Cameron Highlands is my last hope of doing so.

This post has been edited by redkop63: Nov 19 2012, 10:34 AM
+Quote Post
sweetiewong77
post Nov 19 2012, 10:26 AM

of course not cool anymore la..lesses trees by the day lo and worse jam you can ever been too!!!
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Nov 20 2012, 01:35 PM

Casual

In Pahang, I think Cameron Highland is not the only place where the environment is being under threat.

Think of other recent case involving Bukit Koman, Lynas and others.

Never ending environment pollution.
+Quote Post
klthor
post Nov 20 2012, 01:49 PM

Enthusiast

just one question for all the ppl who complain about it, do u have air con at home? if the answer is yes, i suppose you guys have no right to complain much, becoz it contribute heat as well. and yes, i have been living without air-con in my room, living room (not office becoz the design of office nowadays are without window at all) for 20 over years. so before we speak about others, we do our parts. if every1 doing their part, this wouldnt happen. do u recycle? do u repair your faulty handphone? and we will get the answer, its in our culture. Do not blame it on others, greed or corruption. why theres a need of lynas? becoz electronic goods like handphone are so popular nowadays, it has to be build somewhere... if not malaysia, its still gonna be allocated to elsewhere, still the same problem. so look at the root, buy less handphone, repair ur goods instead of getting a new one, and recycle items.
+Quote Post
Josh tan 02
post Nov 20 2012, 04:35 PM

Development is a sign of improvement.
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Nov 20 2012, 09:02 PM

Casual

QUOTE(klthor @ Nov 20 2012, 01:49 PM)
just one question for all the ppl who complain about it, do u have air con at home? if the answer is yes, i suppose you guys have no right to complain much, becoz it contribute heat as well. and yes, i have been living without air-con in my room, living room (not office becoz the design of office nowadays are without window at all) for 20 over years. so before we speak about others, we do our parts. if every1 doing their part, this wouldnt happen. do u recycle? do u repair your faulty handphone? and we will get the answer, its in our culture. Do not blame it on others, greed or corruption. why theres a need of lynas? becoz electronic goods like handphone are so popular nowadays, it has to be build somewhere... if not malaysia, its still gonna be allocated to elsewhere, still the same problem. so look at the root, buy less handphone, repair ur goods instead of getting a new one, and recycle items.
Nope I do not have any air cond so that mean I can complain. Yes if everyone do their part which is sadly lacking in Malaysia bolehland.

I agree with you, can you see how much rubbish by the roadside. Part of the problem lies in human folly.

+Quote Post
redkop63
post Nov 20 2012, 10:03 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(lilyginger @ Nov 20 2012, 09:02 PM)
Nope I do not have any air cond so that mean I can complain. Yes if everyone do their part which is sadly lacking in Malaysia bolehland.

I agree with you, can you see how much rubbish by the roadside. Part of the problem lies in human folly.
Environment and development are of opposite extremes and if one can't distinguish between one and the other, no point continuing the debate.
+Quote Post
GaretJenna
post Nov 21 2012, 08:38 PM

Everyone wants a baby

QUOTE(klthor @ Nov 20 2012, 01:49 PM)
you are false. all development is caused by the incumbent, which is the barisan nasional

us having air conds is also becomes of the incumbent, which is the barisan nasional.

why are we throwing stuff and not recycling? it is because of education, from the barisan nasional.

why do we need electronic goods? because barisan nasional allows it to be exported

without barisan nasional, all this problem would have not exist. So i think it is good time we change the government.
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Dec 1 2012, 09:56 AM

Casual

Hi everyone,

There is a website where it was set up by an NGO to raise awareness about the environment in Cameron Highland.

Click here for the link ; Regional Environmental Awareness Cameron Highland

In the website, there is the latest news(both on 14th October 2012( on Cameron Highland,which among other;

Air patrols to resume to check illegal land clearing activities

KUALA LUMPUR: Air surveillance will resume in peninsular Malaysia in light of recent media reports of rampant land clearing, illegal logging and forest encroachment, said Datuk Seri Douglas Uggah Embas.

The Natural Resources and Environment Minister said the Government was serious about tackling these issues, which had a negative environmental impact on Malaysia's forests and biodiversity.

“The Cabinet has decided to approve an allocation to the ministry to carry out air surveillance in peninsular Malaysia,” he told The Star yesterday.

The ministry's departments and agencies, including the Department of Environment (DOE) and Department of Wildlife and National Parks (Perhilitan), would cooperate in carrying out monitoring and enforcement activities through air surveillance, added Uggah.

“It is hoped that this move will raise people's faith in the Government's efforts to ensure that our natural resources and environment are protected from activities that threaten them,” he said.

The Star published a series of reports earlier this week on rampant land clearing activities in various areas in Cameron Highlands, including Blue Valley and Mensun Valley.

In a startling admission, District Officer Datuk Ahmad Daud said he suspected that insiders in the Land Office were leaking information to help culprits escape raids.

The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission has launched an investigation into the matter.

Cameron Highlands DOE branch head Aziz Seman said air surveillance, which stopped last January, was effective in helping the Land Office detect illegal land clearing.

Meanwhile, Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri G. Palanivel said he alerted Uggah about the illegal clearing as well as highlighted it at the Cabinet meeting after reading The Star's reports.

“Illegal clearing of the hilly region (of Cameron Highlands) will affect the water resources in the area. The hills should not be disturbed,” he said in a statement.

MACC must leave no stone unturned to nab mole[SIZE=7]

IT is really disgusting to read that a mole in the Cameron Highlands District Office has been giving “tips” to outsiders resulting in unsuccessful raids to nab the culprits who are responsible for illegal land clearing in the highlands. “MACC to go mole hunting in Cameron Highlands” (The Star, Oct 12).

These moles can be found in many government agencies which deal with the public and if these dishonest civil servants are not nabbed, it will defeat the Government’s efforts to enforce the law on transgressors who get away with their crimes as they will disappear before being caught in the act, thanks to tips from insiders.

MACC should get to the bottom of the leakages at the Land Office in Cameron Highlands and charge the guilty party for corruption and abetment with third parties to frustrate their officers from enforcing the law.

Surely we cannot have traitors in our midst who can be likened to the Malay proverb “Musuh dalam selimut” or the English version “Sleeping with the enemy”.

The highlands is today a pale shadow of itself — a place where people loved to visit due to its coolness and greenery which is a balm for the souls of tourists and locals alike who visit during their holidays.

Due to human greed and lack of enforcement, it is not only Cameron Highlands that is losing its shine. Other naturally endowed places in this nation are suffering the same fate due to excess development where trees and open spaces are turned in to concrete jungles.

Let us preserve Mother Nature’s gifts to us for our future generations to savour as once these are lost, they cannot be replaced.

HAMDAN IBRAHIM
Kuala Lumpur
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Mar 19 2013, 11:10 AM

Casual

News on Cameron Highland on 11th December 2012 with pictures.

Click on title to go to The Star

Cameron Highlands in terrible shape due to land clearing and water pollution

CAMERON HIGHLANDS: Once famed for its cool temperatures and verdant growth, Cameron Highlands is now battling unsustainable land clearing and water pollution.

Rampant land clearing for agricultural cultivation riddles the hills, carried out by farmers who either do not have a permit or are flouting regulations.

Heavy machinery are also seen working during the weekends, when their use is prohibited.

Some of the land clearing is being done on hillslopes, which are clearly “class three” or “four”, meaning those above the 30-degree gradient. This poses high risks of landslides and soil erosion.

When it rains, especially during the current inter-monsoon season, muddy water gushes down the slopes into rivers which have turned a murky teh tarik colour.

Illegal land clearing fouls water source for 13 farms in Cameron Highlands

CAMERON HIGHLANDS: Farmer S. Surender is more than happy to serve his guests a glass of thick, brown teh tarik that is, if they do not mind drinking heavily muddied water.

His farm in 49 Mile is among 13 farms here where the water supply has been polluted by illegal clearing by another farmer.

Outraged, the affected farmers have lodged two police reports against the errant farmer.

Land Office enforcement officers have since ordered the land clearing to stop.

But a site visit by The Star showed that workers were still busy preparing the cleared land at the top of the hill for agricultural cultivation.

TOL freeze blamed for illegal clearing

PETALING JAYA: Some farmers take the risk to clear land illegally in Cameron Highlands to open up new agriculture farms as no new temporary occupation licences (TOL) are being issued for development in the highlands.

Federation of Malaysian Vegetable Growers Association said the issuance of new TOLs for land cultivation in Cameron Highlands had been frozen so there was no chance for new farmers to apply.

“So, some take risks to make a living,” said its secretary-general Chay Ee Mong yesterday.

He declined to comment when asked why vegetable growing was becoming lucrative, especially in the area.

Pahang Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob had said that no new TOL would be issued in the Cameron Highlands.

‘Uphill task to ensure farmers do what’s right’

CAMERON HIGHLANDS: A combination of difficult terrain and farmers' attitudes has led to rampant land clearing in Cameron Highlands, says district officer Datuk Ahmad Daud.

He admitted that although enforcement had been carried out frequently, the officers were hindered by the time taken to drive along the steep inner roads, which turn muddy and impassable whenever it rained.

“For example, I have to take two hours to reach Sg Menson in a four-wheel drive,” he said.

He added that he would “try his best” to combat the problem.

On the farmers, Ahmad claimed that some of them went ahead with illegal land clearing activities despite being told not to by the enforcers.
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Mar 19 2013, 11:21 AM

Casual

This is in The Star on 1st February 2013;

Click on the title to go to The Star website

Protect our water source, farmers urge Government

CAMERON HIGHLANDS: Over 100 farmers in the Kampung Raja-Sungai Ikan area have banded together to protest land clearing plans in the area which they feel could jeopardise a vital water catchment area.

Kampung Raja village head Yong Leong Meng said such an occurrence would spell disaster for over 50 farms and thousands of people who were depending on it for irrigation and household purposes.

“We request that the Government stop the land clearing and protect our water source.

“We don't want action to be taken only after something has happened and it is too late”, he said after the farmers raised banners and placards in protest against the planned development at Taman Desa Corina.

Yong said he lodged a police report on Jan 22 at the Kampung Raja police station, accompanied by 30 other residents and met District Officer Datuk Ahmad Daud on Jan 8 and yesterday.

Kampung Raja Water Catchment Protection Association president Chong ChanKong said land clearing in such a vital area could result in disastrous water pollution.

He added that not only could soil flood into and contaminate the dam, but it could also result in water supply to farms in the vicinity being cut off.

“We need trees and plants to ensure a good water catchment area.

“We can't have them being cleared. Even if a legal permit has been granted, the developer must take into account the community's needs and environmental impact. This could affect the local school as well as temple,” he said.

Ahmad confirmed meeting Yong but said that there were no problems with the water catchment area yet.

“If we receive any reports of the water catchment area being damaged, we will investigate and might revoke the licence,” he said.

Cameron Highlands MP Datuk S.K. Devamany said he did not see why the development should be carried out in the area as it was close to the main road as well as river reserve.

“There is a big bridge there, the only way into Taman Desa Corina. There are a few thousand people living there and the construction will be very dangerous to the movement of vehicles,” he said.

Meanwhile, water woes still continue for farmers at the 49th mile, whose water catchment area was damaged months ago by another farmer conducting illegal clearing in the area.

Farmer V. Selvadurai said the same farmer had begun the clearing work once more, completely destroying the remains of the water catchment area.

+Quote Post
Dezs
post Mar 19 2013, 11:47 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(GaretJenna @ Nov 13 2012, 06:56 PM)

No doubt Taib has changed all of our rainforest to palm oil lol - actually i find that concept sustainable actually - but of course the stories of the lands being pilfered from the locals who eventually lose their share of development is a different story altogether. Though many claim the loss of biodiversity is priceless, I would wonder its worth the trade - since in the end, well, its to accomodate the people, right?

I would say rather, whatever keeps the nation satisfied as a whole - Personally, I don't think Malaysia needs to develop by increasing revenue or population or production - I would rather think that we are facing a human resource issue as a result from our working environment and education policies that we lack skilled workers, brain dran and the rest of the grandmother list. The last thing we need is rojaks to mass produce more rojak outlets if we look at development in the form of fine dining. We need better tenants to our resources before we even consider spamming more and more that would end up being operated at minimal efficiency.
+Quote Post
iastate
post Mar 19 2013, 02:59 PM

On my way

QUOTE(GaretJenna @ Nov 21 2012, 08:38 PM)
you are false. all development is caused by the incumbent, which is the barisan nasional

us having air conds is also becomes of the incumbent, which is the barisan nasional.

why are we throwing stuff and not recycling? it is because of education, from the barisan nasional.

why do we need electronic goods? because barisan nasional allows it to be exported

without barisan nasional, all this problem would have not exist. So i think it is good time we change the government.
You seriously think every problem can be attributed to BN? Shame on you.
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Mar 19 2013, 09:00 PM

Casual

Another article in Free Malaysia Today dated 21 February 2013

Click on the title to go to the original website ;

Cameron Highlands going downhill

CAMERON HIGHLANDS: Cameron Highlands is rapidly losing its quaint charm as a result of rampant illegal land clearance for agricultural cultivation, said a local DAP leader.
Pahang DAP vice-chairman J Apalasamy blamed local farmers for the indiscriminate and ruthless clearance of jungle land on this hilly resort terrain.
“These farmers don’t have a permit. They are flouting the law,” he told FMT here today.

He said crooked local farmers have also been bringing in foreign workers, mostly illegal ones, to clear out the hillslopes.
They would then ‘lease out’ the state-owned land to these foreigners to carry out unpermitted agricultural activities, mostly vegetable cultivation, on a profit-sharing basis.

Apalasamy said the aliens would earn their profit by cultivating the land while locals would earn theirs by “protecting” them.

“Both profiteer at the expense of nature and public interests. This is why Cameron Highlands has more foreigners than locals,” he said.

3,000 acres illegally cleared

Apalasamy added that some hillslopes were cleared to a gradient as high as 30 degrees, posing a risk of landslides and soil erosion.

He said Cameron Highlands is now battling unsustainable land clearing and water pollution, as rivers would turn murky during rainy spells when muddy water gushed down the slopes.

He estimated about 3,000 acres of hilly land had been cleared illegally since 2008, and worst hit were Blue Valley, Kuala Terla, Tanah Rata, Sungai Menson, Kampung Raja and Bertam.

He lamented that complaints by locals to relevant authorities against these unscrupulous and irresponsible anti-nature activities have largely fallen to deaf ears.
Sources in the local district office say authorities found it difficult to nab those involved because local politicians and district office staff were collaborating with the culprits.

The culprits would flee the area after being “tipped off” on raids by authorities

Apalasamy warned that at the rate it was going now, Cameron Highlands would soon become a “bare barren mountain.”

“The authorities must act fast to prevent Malaysians losing a natural heritage,” he said.
+Quote Post
giroud
post Mar 23 2013, 11:33 AM

plz blame little napoleon. mad.gif
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Mar 23 2013, 04:41 PM

Casual

Another news about how serious is the pollution situation in Cameron Highland, dated 12th December 2012;

Toxic chemicals in Cameron Highland’s major rivers

CAMERON HIGHLANDS: Two toxic and illegal pesticides known to cause serious health problems to humans are poisoning Cameron Highland's major rivers.

Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) researchers who conducted numerous tests found concentrations of the banned pesticides DDT dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane) and lindane (gamma hexachlorocyclohexane or HCH) in Sungai Bertam and Sungai Telom.

The United States' Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) had classified the pesticides as a probable human carcinogen.

Both DDT and lindane have been completely banned in Malaysia. They are among the list of toxic chemicals identified in the Stockholm Convention of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) which Malaysia signed in 2002 but has yet to be ratified.
+Quote Post
ahkawC
post Mar 23 2013, 08:38 PM

QUOTE(lilyginger @ Mar 23 2013, 04:41 PM)
Another news about how serious is the pollution situation in Cameron Highland, dated 12th December 2012;

Toxic chemicals in Cameron Highland’s major rivers

CAMERON HIGHLANDS: Two toxic and illegal pesticides known to cause serious health problems to humans are poisoning Cameron Highland's major rivers.

Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) researchers who conducted numerous tests found concentrations of the banned pesticides DDT dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane) and lindane (gamma hexachlorocyclohexane or HCH) in Sungai Bertam and Sungai Telom.

The United States' Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) had classified the pesticides as a probable human carcinogen.

Both DDT and lindane have been completely banned in Malaysia. They are among the list of toxic chemicals identified in the Stockholm Convention of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) which Malaysia signed in 2002 but has yet to be ratified.
Ask the farmers ..they know the answer ...
+Quote Post
mobileapps
post Mar 27 2013, 01:13 PM

Casual

yes, to save cameron highlands, is to boycott the place. dont go there. dont patronize it.

its because of you guys keep going there, thats where development comes in to cater to the huge volume, trafffic, and accomodation.

save cameron highlands by boycotting it entirely.
+Quote Post
BlackWoods
post Mar 27 2013, 03:06 PM

Dark Knight

Industrialization and development always harm the environment and contribute to global warming.

+Quote Post
xin
post Mar 28 2013, 06:07 PM

Maisonducat Storekeeper

QUOTE(mobileapps @ Mar 27 2013, 01:13 PM)
yes, to save cameron highlands, is to boycott the place. dont go there. dont patronize it.

its because of you guys keep going there, thats where development comes in to cater to the huge volume, trafffic, and accomodation.

save cameron highlands by boycotting it entirely.
+1 I gotta agree on this. It is some of you folks that keep complaining that Cameron is not as cooling as it used to be, means being one of the frequent patron to contribute to development of Cameron Highlands. So it will be a neverending story, folks up the highlands can survive even without tourism push.
+Quote Post
skeith
post Mar 30 2013, 08:27 AM

Getting Started

if cameron highland turn hotter then current KL, than is KL going to burn like hell in the future????
anyway, been ages i never went cameron. I hope cameron still the beautiful place that i used to remember.

This post has been edited by skeith: Mar 30 2013, 08:28 AM
+Quote Post
runsing
post Mar 30 2013, 11:40 PM

Casual

QUOTE(skeith @ Mar 30 2013, 08:27 AM)
if cameron highland turn hotter then current KL, than is KL going to burn like hell in the future????
anyway, been ages i never went cameron. I hope cameron still the beautiful place that i used to remember.
if below 5 years, maybe not surprised much, but if more than 10, like me who finally visit again last year, you're in for a several. Cool temperatures is one thing you'll missed the most . shakehead.gif
+Quote Post
tcheepin
post Apr 17 2013, 04:56 PM

QUOTE(runsing @ Mar 30 2013, 11:40 PM)
if below 5 years, maybe not surprised much, but if more than 10, like me who finally visit again last year, you're in for a several. Cool temperatures is one thing you'll missed the most . shakehead.gif
agreed my first visit like 5 years ago was kinda pleasant, although traffic jam but still enjoying the beautiful scenery.
My last year visit was a horrible experience, like living in a confine area full with pesticide and vehicle emission.
I don think I will visit Cameron highland again for leisure.

+Quote Post
chenwfng
post Apr 18 2013, 12:42 PM

I haven't been to CH many times but I have to say the smell of fresh air is no longer there, lots of cars and all I smell is smoke from cars and the stinking smell from their brakes. Malaysia's development is just....... shakehead.gif
+Quote Post
ChaNzy
post Apr 22 2013, 01:42 PM

what a waste sad.gif how about genting highlands? similar changes?
+Quote Post
mobileapps
post Apr 22 2013, 07:23 PM

Casual

QUOTE(skeith @ Mar 30 2013, 08:27 AM)
Please continue not to go there anymore.

more people = more development = more trees cut down.
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Oct 24 2013, 08:31 AM

Casual

Mud Flood from dam shocks sleeping villagers

CAMERON HIGHLANDS (Oct 23, 2013): Villagers in the Bertam Valley near here could not do anything when they were jolted from their sleep early today by flood waters smashing through their homes, leaving three dead, one missing and two injured.

They could only look on in shock as the muddy waters washed away 100 cars and damaged 80 homes a little after midnight.

The dead have been identified as Md Jahangir Alam Fazlor Rahman, a Bangladeshi in his 30s; a 46-year-old Indonesian known only as Kesmat and Tan Tuck Choi, 51, who died of a heart attack on the way to the Sultanah Hajah Kalsom Hospital in Tanah Rata.

A fourth person, said to be a 17-year-old Indonesian girl, is still missing at press time.

The incident occurred after officials at the Sultan Abu Bakar dam in Ringlet released water from the dam into the Bertam Valley to prevent an automatic opening of four flood gates that would have resulted in a catastrophe for the 2,000 residents in the area.

The water level in the dam had risen to danger levels late in the night after a downpour.

The area looked as if a tidal wave had hit, with cars overturned or submerged in flood waters.

Teja state assemblyman Chang Lih Kang, whose constituency is adjacent to the valley, said residents who lived only about 500m from the dam were not able to hear the warning siren that was sounded as it was raining heavily at the time.

“I spoke to the affected residents, who claim that they were not alerted by Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) officials on when the flood gates will be opened,” he told theSun.

Some residents claim the alarm went off at the very last minute and that the flood had already started by then.

Chang, who received a call from a resident at 8am alerting him to the flood, said the tragedy could have been avoided if TNB was prepared and if earlier warnings had been given to residents.

“It seems that TNB did not make proper calculations.

“They should have known about the water level rising and alerted the public when it went above the danger line,” he said, adding that there was similar flooding in the area in 1988 which was not this serious.

In the aftermath of the flood, residents were left clearing the mud and debris and salvaging personal belongings.

The school in Lembah Bertam was also shut as the road leading to it was closed.

Shops and businesses in the area were also forced to close due to the thick layer of mud.

TNB says procedures were followed

KUALA LUMPUR (Oct 23, 2013): The release of water via the spillway at the Sultan Abu Bakar Dam in Cameron Highlands early this morning followed fixed procedures, said Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB).

In a statement here, TNB said controlled release of water was done to prevent flooding in the entire Bertam Valley.

Heavy rain overnight and flash flooding around Ringlet caused an overflow of water into the dam resulting in the water level exceeding the permitted maximum threshold, the statement said.

It added that TNB took all needed steps including liaising with the security authorities, local authority and the head of Bertam Valley's village security and development committee (JKKK) before the controlled release of water was undertaken.

About 80 houses downstream were damaged as a result of the sudden rush of water from the dam in the 1am incident.

The incident also claimed the lives of two foreign workers and a local while one other person is still reported missing. – Bernama
+Quote Post
darx84
post Oct 24 2013, 09:15 AM

Getting Started

I doubt their procedure does not include monitoring the water level at downstream prior to the "CONTROLLED RELESE OF WATER". If they actually monitor it this would not have happened. I think they overlooked this. Giving excuse that the tragedy was inevitable to prevent flooding in the upstream is unacceptable.

Someone must be responsiblr for this.
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Feb 13 2014, 08:54 AM

Casual

The news from AL JAZEERA about The Ravaging of Malaysia Cameron Highland

Land is being cleared at an unprecedented rate in Malaysian region famous for its beauty and fertility.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - High up in Malaysia's Cameron Highlands, in a forested valley once home to a community of indigenous people, a platoon of heavy trucks and excavators is hard at work pulling down trees and devouring the surrounding hills to make space for a new township.

Land is being cleared at an unprecedented rate in the highlands, some 1,500 metres above sea level, not only for housing, shops and hotels, but also for vegetable and flower farms. The average temperature in the area has risen two degrees Celsius in the past decade.

The biggest problem in the Cameron Highlands is "the uncontrolled clearing of the forest, even in the water catchment area",[/b] said Ramakrishnan Ramasamy, who was born in the region and in 2001 set up Regional Environmental Awareness Cameron Highlands, or REACH, to help protect and preserve the area's unique environment. "The effect has been most direct on the flora and fauna. We used to see plants that we now can't find. We see lowland birds are migrating up here and the highland birds are moving out."

People have been visiting the Cameron Highlands for decades in search of a cool respite from the steamy lowlands below. First it was the British, who glimpsed something of their homeland in the forested landscape - and, after independence, Malaysians, who enjoyed the cool weather and began developing vegetable farms on the plateau.

John Russell was one of the early pioneers. After making his name in tin mining, he spotted the potential for growing tea in the agreeable climate of the highlands. Importing bushes from Sri Lanka in 1929, he sculpted his first tea garden from the steep terrain with the help of a few labourers, some mules and a single steamroller. Some of those original bushes continue to be harvested today by Boh Plantations.

His second farm, Sungai Palas, opened a few years later, and is now one of the area's most popular tourist sites. The spectacular landscape - the tea bushes appear to tumble out of the trees on the mountain ridges and down the steep escarpments in a patchwork of greens - are a photographer's dream.

Rapid development

But even here there is no escape from development. Farmers in search of ever more land have started to encroach onto the hilltops. Caroline Russell, who now runs Boh and is the founder's granddaughter, thinks there needs to be a better balance between development and the environment.

"Yes, Cameron Highlands is an important agricultural centre with vegetables, flowers and tea, but tourism is also very fundamental," she told Al Jazeera over tea at her Kuala Lumpur office. "People are going for the whole idea of a retreat and it's not a retreat. Go there during a public holiday and it's pandemonium."

For years there was only one route into the highlands: a narrow, and often treacherous, road cutting through thick jungle from the south to the plateau first discovered by William Cameron on a mapping expedition in 1885. Then, in 2004, a new road was completed - a major engineering feat in itself - opening up the northern highlands to Malaysia's main highway and bringing in more farmers, developers and tourists.

The clearing of forest from steep slopes has already triggered landslides in an area that sees plenty of rainfall. Roads have fallen down hillsides and homes have been flattened. In the worst incident, in 2011, seven indigenous people were killed when their homes were buried by mud.

A primordial landscape

From Gunung Brinchang, the Cameron Highlands' second-highest peak at just over 2,000 metres, it's still possible to get a feel for the environment of old. In the mossy forest, the mood is almost primordial. Clouds drape themselves across the landscape close to the top of the mountain, cloaking the trees in an eerie half-light; the water droplets feeding the moss that grows in vast springy clumps on the ground and trees. Orchids, some found only in the highlands, pitcher plants and ferns cling to branches as birds, hidden in the mist, call to each other across the sky.

This landscape has long inspired mystery and intrigue. During Malaysia's decades-long Communist insurgency, the dense jungle proved an effective cover for the elusive fighters. In 1967, Jim Thompson, the man credited with reviving the Thai silk industry and suspected of being a spy, went missing during an afternoon stroll; his body was never found. More recently, Cameron Highlands was the setting for Tan Twan Eng's elegiac 2012 novel, The Garden of Evening Mists, which was nominated for the Man Booker Prize.

But the picturesque views of the past are increasingly difficult to find. The mossy forest that once covered as much as 100 square kilometres of land now measures only about 60 square kilometres. In its place are terraced houses and shops - helping trap the heat from the sun - or the plastic sheeting, irrigation pipes and stores for fertiliser and chemicals that accompany the plateau's commercial farms. Officially, there are some 2,000 farms, but REACH estimates there are more than twice that.

Long-term, we will see wild plants and highland species disappear. Fish and aquatic species are already in jeopardy.

- Andrew Sebastian, Malaysian Nature Society

The effect on water supplies has been disastrous. Researchers have found E. coli and high levels of pesticides and chemicals in the highland's rivers, which provide drinking water for local communities. The siltation also forced the closure of the area's hydroelectric dam because the turbines were clogged with mud. Even now with a clean-up underway, the lake remains brown and fetid; the continuing deforestation and construction upriver clog waterways and send sediment down to the lake.

Maketab Mohamad, the president of the Malaysian Nature Society, has studied the rivers in the area and says the situation is becoming "unmanageable".

"It's not the Cameron Highlands that it used to be," he told Al Jazeera.

"Lowland animals and plants now thrive, taking over and pushing out the highland species," added his colleague, Andrew Sebastian. "Long-term, we will see wild plants and highland species disappear. Fish and aquatic species are already in jeopardy. Most importantly, the loss of biodiversity could mean the loss of untold potential for ecotourism and pharmaceutical components."

Alleged malfeasance

Critics blame corruption. "It's the perennial problem," said Anthony Tan, the executive director of Kuala Lumpur-based environmental group CETDEM, which monitors climate change in the country. "Enforcement is the weak link."

Last year Malaysia's Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) began an investigation into the District Office, the government unit that runs the area, after District Officer Ahmad Daud said insiders were leaking details on raids to those involved in illegal activities. MACC has yet to take any action. Daud didn't respond to requests for interview by phone or email, and wasn't in his office when visited. Neither MACC nor Daud responded to Al Jazeera's requests for comment.

Meanwhile, Rama continues to fight to save the environment of the place where he was born. He runs educational classes in schools, extols the virtues of recycling and supports organic farmers. REACH now has about 1,000 members, mostly local residents, who have spent recent years cataloguing the area's orchids and birds. The guide to the Cameron Highlands' 650 species of orchids is about to go into its second printing, and a book on its birds will be out later this year. They hope their work will not end up as a guide to a world that no longer exists.

Another article about the decline of tourist to Cameron Highland from The Malay Mail Online entitled Tourist Numbers Sliding Off Cameron Highlands

CAMERON HIGHLANDS, Nov 28 — Despite it being the year-end school holiday season, there are fewer tourists enjoying the cool environment of Cameron Highlands.

Equatorial Cameron Highlands general manager Patrick Tee told The Malay Mail that rooms were empty as worried travellers cancelled their bookings in fear of disasters such as the recent Bertam Valley mudslide which claimed four lives and left more than 100 houses and vehicles destroyed.

“Even though Bertam Valley is quite a distance from Brinchang, people think the entire highlands is affected,” he said, adding that room bookings and occupancy dropped by as much as 30 per cent.

It is believed this is the worst peak season ever for the largest hotel in Cameron Highlands, which opened its doors in 1996.

Rosa Passadena and Casa De La Rosa Hotel managing director Datuk Yee Shan Konsaid the drop in tourists could be attributed to newspaper reports and images of the Bertam Valley mudslide.

“People are imagining that every part of Cameron Highlands is at risk of such disaster, and they don’t like finding themselves in the middle of it,” said Yee, whose hotels had seen sales plummet by more than 50 per cent for the holiday season.

Hotel bookings also dropped by half compared to the same period last year at Heritage Hotel in Tanah Rata, another major resort in Cameron Highlands.

“It’s supposed to be the peak season now and yet the occupancy rate is less compared to the fasting month, which is the low season for the hospitality sector,” said Jenny Bausoch, the hotel’s general manager.

Bala Holiday Chalet supervisor R. Loganathan said there were only five confirmed bookings this month out of 38 rooms at the English colonial-style resort.

Wan Saleh Ismail, operator of budget hostel TJ Lodge in Tanah Rata, urged the authorities to tackle the problem of over-development in Cameron Highlands once and for all.

“Over-development is causing mudslides and landslides here,” he said.

Kasimani’s Strawberry Farm owner K. Selvam said the sight of barren hillslopes was disconcerting for tourists as they travelled through Cameron Highlands.

“I’m not against development but it is taking place all over Cameron Highlands.

“You can’t blame visitors for assuming that landslides can happen anytime anywhere,” he said.

Siva Das, founder of website CameronHighlands.com, which provides travel information to visitors, said the drop in tourists was also affecting other businesses, including restaurants.

“While major tourist areas are safe, we advise people to be careful as it is the rainy season,” said Siva, who also advised visitors to take the Simpang Pulai route which is safer than the old Tapah-Ringlet road.

Century Pines Resort general manager Shri Shailendran urged the authorities, especially the Tourism Ministry, to reassure the public.

“They must issue official statements to the media concerning the safety of major tourist areas in Cameron Highlands,” he said, adding that the situation was expected to improve slightly next month.

Pahang Tourism and Culture Committee chairman Datuk Mohd Sharkar Shamsuddin said any holiday destination that experienced a disaster was bound to have fewer visitors for a span of time.

Citing an example, he said New York experienced an initial drop in international travel immediately after the terror attacks on Sept 11, 2001, as travellers opted for other destinations.

“Cameron Highlands is safe as a holiday destination, and the state government will embark on more promotional activities to help promote it as one of Malaysia’s top tourist destinations,” he said.

Cameron Highlands district council secretary Mazlan Mohamed Isa also gave the assurance that all tourist destinations — Tringkap, Kea Farm, Brinchang, Tanah Rata and Habu — are safe.

Everyone is still waiting for the MACC to take actions

The Tourism Authority in Pahang is still in denial what actually happened to Cameron Highland is related to the destruction of its natural heritage

This post has been edited by lilyginger: Feb 13 2014, 08:57 AM
+Quote Post
Chaud
post Feb 13 2014, 11:24 AM

On my way

genting also not really as cold as before ady
+Quote Post
xin
post Feb 13 2014, 11:27 AM

Maisonducat Storekeeper

What do you expect when more and more ppl hike the highlands ? More demands and constructions of course, nothing can stop the tragedy as long ppl go up CH for holidays and breeze.
+Quote Post
De_Luffy
post Feb 13 2014, 03:14 PM

Getting Started

My friend and his wife just last week visited cameron highland, he claim the weather there is not cold anymore just like a normal hot weather in the city minus few degree that all..........he went there also no choice becoz his earlier booking cannot be postponed or canceled so no choice both husband and wife with his baby son went up there for holiday..........
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Feb 14 2014, 08:36 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Chaud @ Feb 13 2014, 11:24 AM)
genting also not really as cold as before ady
QUOTE(xin @ Feb 13 2014, 11:27 AM)
What do you expect when more and more ppl hike the highlands ? More demands and constructions of course, nothing can stop the tragedy as long ppl go up CH for holidays and breeze.
QUOTE(De_Luffy @ Feb 13 2014, 03:14 PM)
My friend and his wife just last week visited cameron highland, he claim the weather there is not cold anymore just like a normal hot weather in the city minus few degree that all..........he went there also no choice becoz his earlier booking cannot be postponed or canceled so no choice both husband and wife with his baby son went up there for holiday..........
Cameron Highland is located in Pahang, there is actually 2 prominent leader from Pahang but they too like not taking this issue seriously

1st is Low Tiong Lai from Bentong, Pahang

2nd is Malaysia Prime Minister from Pekan, Pahang

I think one day CH will just remain in memory as a once cold and pristine place.

+Quote Post
simpletraveler
post Feb 14 2014, 09:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!

T. LOGAINTHIRAN
Kuala Lumpur
If the place is privately owned, of course the government will let it rot.
+Quote Post
Hummingbird
post Feb 15 2014, 12:40 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(RS42 @ Oct 27 2012, 05:40 PM)
When there is no development, the people make noise,
when there is development, the people also make noise.

A balance must be set by the government but it won't be easy cause they can never satisfy all parties.
a good development planning juggle between preservation of nature and advancement of economy.
+Quote Post
De_Luffy
post Feb 15 2014, 03:31 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(lilyginger @ Feb 14 2014, 08:36 PM)
Cameron Highland is located in Pahang, there is actually 2 prominent leader from Pahang but they too like not taking this issue seriously

1st is Low Tiong Lai from Bentong, Pahang

2nd is Malaysia Prime Minister from Pekan, Pahang

I think one day CH will just remain in memory as a once cold and pristine place.
did you forget who is cameron highland MP?
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Feb 17 2014, 04:17 PM

Casual

QUOTE(De_Luffy @ Feb 15 2014, 03:31 AM)
did you forget who is cameron highland MP?
Since you mentioned it, now I know, its from this article in The Star where he is busy cropping up more stall and developing in Cameron Highland irregardless of its consequences to the ecosystem and environment although he is suppose to be the Environment Minister;

Palanivel: Cameron Highlands to get RM30mil for redevelopment of business centres

KUALA LIPIS: Cameron Highlands will get RM30mil to redevelop business centres to make them more orderly to draw more tourists and shoppers, said Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Seri G. Palanivel.

"The government will provide fully equipped modern stalls so that the operators will have a conducive environment to conduct their business, said Palanivel, who is also the MP for Cameron Highlands.

"Besides this, we will also provide washroom and parking facilities and other amenities for the comfort of tourists and the public," he told reporters Sunday after attending a thanksgiving function hosted by Jelai assemblyman Datuk Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail in Kampung Kuala Koyan here.

He said there were also plans to build some 600 new stalls up at the highlands in the new future.

He added that the Federal Agricultural Marketing Authority had also built a collection centre in Brinchang town to enhance growth of the agriculture sector in Cameron Highlands.

There was another interested article about Cameron Highland which is published by NSTP which I doubt the Pahang government will ever take it seriously;

Heed lessons from Cameron Highlands tragedy

COMPROMISES: There has to be a balance between economic pursuits and looking after the environment

CAMERON Highlands was in the news recently but not for the right reason. Instead of its usual portrayal as a tourist haven, this time around the story was about a disaster which could have been avoided. A disaster which has resulted from man's own failings.

The waterways which were supposed to absorb the sudden release of dam water were heavily silted and could not cope with the deluge. The disaster in the form of mud flows was imminent.

Looking at the pictures which were splashed in the media, they looked no different from the tsunami that wreaked havoc in Aceh in 2004 or the Fukushima debacle in 2012.

Houses were destroyed. Cars were squashed. Casualties included three deaths and one still missing. It was a sad day for the people in the affected area, many losing their belongings and their properties destroyed. In fact all Malaysians mourned that day. Unless we learn from that unfortunate incident, it can happen again anywhere.

There are lessons from that catastrophic day in Cameron Highlands. Lessons which we should all use to guide future development in areas with similar topography.

Only a few weeks ago we were alerted to the fact that the tourism industry in Cameron Highlands is affected by the illegal clearing of land for agriculture activities, which also adversely impacts the environment in the area.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Seri G. Palanivel, who also happens to be the member of parliament for Cameron Highlands, said there had been a decline in the number of local visitors and tourists from countries like Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Japan to the highlands.[cool.gif

[b]He admitted that illegal clearing of land is a big problem to the residents of Cameron Highlands. He further urged non-governmental organisations to play their role in helping to control the situation.

Everyone agrees there has to be a balance between economic pursuits such as agriculture and tourism with looking after the environment. At the end of the day, if the ecosystem services of nature are compromised, both agriculture and tourism cannot be sustained. And worse still, the safety of the people may be compromised eventually.

The problem is agriculture in Cameron Highlands contributes over RM2 billion worth of exports every year. It is big business.

It is not easy to limit further expansion of cultivated areas. Therefore the rampant encroachment on environmentally sensitive areas has proceeded almost unabated. As they say, greed will always rule.

It has been reported that for the past 15 years, land clearing has continued unabated in Cameron Highlands but never before on such a large scale as in recent years. The residents of Cameron Highlands inadvertently bear the brunt of the environmental destruction, including contaminated drinking water and polluted rivers.

In almost all the villages stretching from Ringlet, Bertam Valley to Kampung Raja and Blue Valley, the risk of landslides is real.

The situation is not helped by the fact that nowadays temperatures in Cameron Highlands have increased. In the early days, Malaysians would adjourn to Cameron Highlands to get a feel of the "English weather". This is no longer the case.

Some blame the global phenomenon of climate change for the warm weather, but environmentalists also take offence at the rampant illegal clearing of land.

There have been calls for a reprieve on the agricultural expansion in the highlands. Unfortunately such warnings were not heeded.

Now that disaster has struck, as usual, promises of remedial measures are made.

The Forestry Research Institute of Malaysia has been asked to carry out reforestation to keep Cameron Highlands cool. A number of departments including the Department of Environment, Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID) and Forestry Department have been tasked to carry out efforts to rehabilitate and preserve the environment in Cameron Highlands.

These measures are well and good and should also be considered for similar areas in the country waiting to experience a repeat of the calamities in Cameron Highland.

Experts on disaster prediction have cited the Lojing Highlands in Kelantan as a case to be closely monitored. Otherwise the lessons of Cameron Highlands will remain unheeded! That would be a sad day for sustainable development.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Seri G. Palanivel, who also happens to be the member of parliament for Cameron Highlands, said there had been a decline in the number of local visitors and tourists from countries like Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Japan to the highlands.

He admitted that illegal clearing of land is a big problem to the residents of Cameron Highlands. He further urged non-governmental organisations to play their role in helping to control the situation.

He is the one who suggested to develop Cameron Highland in the first place although he is the Environment Minister and now he is asking NGO to help control the situation, why the statement so conflicting?
+Quote Post
De_Luffy
post Feb 17 2014, 04:57 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(lilyginger @ Feb 17 2014, 04:17 PM)
Since you mentioned it, now I know, its from this article in The Star where he is busy cropping up more stall and developing in Cameron Highland irregardless of its consequences to the ecosystem and environment although he is suppose to be the Environment Minister;

Palanivel: Cameron Highlands to get RM30mil for redevelopment of business centres

KUALA LIPIS: Cameron Highlands will get RM30mil to redevelop business centres to make them more orderly to draw more tourists and shoppers, said Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Seri G. Palanivel.

"The government will provide fully equipped modern stalls so that the operators will have a conducive environment to conduct their business, said Palanivel, who is also the MP for Cameron Highlands.

"Besides this, we will also provide washroom and parking facilities and other amenities for the comfort of tourists and the public," he told reporters Sunday after attending a thanksgiving function hosted by Jelai assemblyman Datuk Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail in Kampung Kuala Koyan here.

He said there were also plans to build some 600 new stalls up at the highlands in the new future.

He added that the Federal Agricultural Marketing Authority had also built a collection centre in Brinchang town to enhance growth of the agriculture sector in Cameron Highlands.

There was another interested article about Cameron Highland which is published by NSTP which I doubt the Pahang government will ever take it seriously;

Heed lessons from Cameron Highlands tragedy

COMPROMISES: There has to be a balance between economic pursuits and looking after the environment

CAMERON Highlands was in the news recently but not for the right reason.  Instead of its usual portrayal as a tourist haven, this time around the story was about a disaster which could have been avoided. A disaster which has resulted from man's own failings.

The waterways which were supposed to absorb the sudden release of dam water were heavily silted and could not cope with the deluge. The disaster in the form of mud flows was imminent.

Looking at the pictures which were splashed in the media, they looked no different from the tsunami that wreaked havoc in Aceh in 2004 or the Fukushima debacle in 2012.

Houses were destroyed. Cars were squashed. Casualties included three deaths and one still missing. It was a sad day for the people in the affected area, many losing their belongings and their properties destroyed. In fact all Malaysians mourned that day. Unless we learn from that unfortunate incident, it can happen again anywhere.

There are lessons from that catastrophic day in Cameron Highlands. Lessons which we should all use to guide future development in areas with similar topography.

Only a few weeks ago we were alerted to the fact that the tourism industry in Cameron Highlands is affected by the illegal clearing of land for agriculture activities, which also adversely impacts the environment in the area.

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Seri G. Palanivel, who also happens to be the member of parliament for Cameron Highlands, said there had been a decline in the number of local visitors and tourists from countries like Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Japan to the highlands.[cool.gif

[b]He admitted that illegal clearing of land is a big problem to the residents of Cameron Highlands. He further urged non-governmental organisations to play their role in helping to control the situation.

Everyone agrees there has to be a balance between economic pursuits such as agriculture and tourism with looking after the environment. At the end of the day, if the ecosystem services of nature are compromised, both agriculture and tourism cannot be sustained. And worse still, the safety of the people may be compromised eventually.

The problem is agriculture in Cameron Highlands contributes over RM2 billion worth of exports every year. It is big business.

It is not easy to limit further expansion of cultivated areas. Therefore the rampant encroachment on environmentally sensitive areas has proceeded almost unabated. As they say, greed will always rule.

It has been reported that for the past 15 years, land clearing has continued unabated in Cameron Highlands but never before on such a large scale as in recent years. The residents of Cameron Highlands inadvertently bear the brunt of the environmental destruction, including contaminated drinking water and polluted rivers.

In almost all the villages stretching from Ringlet, Bertam Valley to Kampung Raja and Blue Valley, the risk of landslides is real.

The situation is not helped by the fact that nowadays temperatures in Cameron Highlands have increased. In the early days, Malaysians would adjourn to Cameron Highlands to get a feel of the "English weather". This is no longer the case.

Some blame the global phenomenon of climate change for the warm weather, but environmentalists also take offence at the rampant illegal clearing of land.

There have been calls for a reprieve on the agricultural expansion in the highlands. Unfortunately such warnings were not heeded.

Now that disaster has struck, as usual, promises of remedial measures are made.

The Forestry Research Institute of Malaysia has been asked to carry out reforestation to keep Cameron Highlands cool. A number of departments including the Department of Environment, Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID) and Forestry Department have been tasked to carry out efforts to rehabilitate and preserve the environment in Cameron Highlands.

These measures are well and good and should also be considered for similar areas in the country waiting to experience a repeat of the calamities in Cameron Highland.

Experts on disaster prediction have cited the Lojing Highlands in Kelantan as a case to be closely monitored. Otherwise the lessons of Cameron Highlands will remain unheeded! That would be a sad day for sustainable development.
He is the one who suggested to develop Cameron Highland in the first place although he is the Environment Minister and now he is asking NGO to help control the situation, why the statement so conflicting?
don't you know he is UMNO toy? whatever those umno goons told him he just do as he was told............

+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Feb 18 2014, 08:26 AM

Casual

QUOTE(De_Luffy @ Feb 17 2014, 04:57 PM)
don't you know he is UMNO toy? whatever those umno goons told him he just do as he was told............
I am not surprised as there is many puppet in the current government be it opposition or BN.
+Quote Post
De_Luffy
post Feb 18 2014, 09:02 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(lilyginger @ Feb 18 2014, 08:26 AM)
I am not surprised as there is many puppet in the current government be it opposition or BN.
at least Hindraf leader dare to stand up to him after taking up cabinet post.........now he has resigned after the government did not hold their words
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Feb 18 2014, 11:20 AM

Casual

QUOTE(De_Luffy @ Feb 18 2014, 09:02 AM)
at least Hindraf leader dare to stand up to him after taking up cabinet post.........now he has resigned after the government did not hold their words
At least we knew there is one less puppet in the government rather than tonnes of them.
+Quote Post
jaycee1
post Feb 18 2014, 02:36 PM

Regular

QUOTE(lilyginger @ Feb 17 2014, 04:17 PM)

Greed.

When the money is free flowing, everyone keeps quiet.

Now with the drop in tourist, operators are beginning to feel the pinch. But instead of doing the right thing, they blame the mud slide for bad press...and waits for the incumbent to start pumping money in the smokescreen of re-development.

Has anyone even checked how even lousy hotels are charging at CH now? It used to be a cheap place where we used to rent a bungalow and have the entire family spend a few days in the cool and fresh air. Its no longer cheap, nor is it fresh anymore.

Its all in the planning, in this case the lack thereoff.

I wonder how is Maxwell Hill faring if one does needs a quiet place to have some R&R. Have not been back there for 20 odd years.
+Quote Post
lilyginger
post Feb 18 2014, 02:55 PM

Casual

QUOTE(jaycee1 @ Feb 18 2014, 02:36 PM)
Greed.

When the money is free flowing, everyone keeps quiet.

Now with the drop in tourist, operators are beginning to feel the pinch. But instead of doing the right thing, they blame the mud slide for bad press...and waits for the incumbent to start pumping money in the smokescreen of re-development.

Has anyone even checked how even lousy hotels are charging at CH now? It used to be a cheap place where we used to rent a bungalow and have the entire family spend a few days in the cool and fresh air. Its no longer cheap, nor is it fresh anymore.
Its all in the planning, in this case the lack thereoff.
I wonder how is Maxwell Hill faring if one does needs a quiet place to have some R&R. Have not been back there for 20 odd years.
Yes, when times are good, everyone close one eye, when the unfortunate and unpredictable happens, then the blaming game will start.

When NGO last time raised a lot of alarm on the rapid development of Cameron Highland, the BN government shut them up saying they are too noisy. Now the BN government is trying to engage them in the article.

A good drama to teach children what is hypocrisy.
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0943sec    1.30    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 01:05 AM