Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Wireless Problems TPLINK TD-W8951ND, Wireless LAN workgroup problem

views

eclectice
post Oct 23 2012, 10:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,708 posts

OK, this is quite unusual to see a wireless LAN works separately from its wired LAN network using an All-in-one hardware without being able to route between the networks.

Try to factory-reset the hardware and just enter the basic setup one at a time:
1) set your internet WAN setup
2) set your LAN setup or use its default setting (the router's IP addres must be the default gateway IP address let say 192.168.1.1 for all machines that are connected to it in the same subnet let say 192.168.1.x and within its allowed subnet IP range let say let say 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254. The router hardware usually has a DHCP server running. If a network happens to have more than one DHCP server running on the same subnet, one of them must be disabled to avoid IP conflict; otherwise each DHCP server shall using a different subnet and must be routed accordingly to be able to see each other.)
3) set your wireless setup
4) Try to ping each other (disable Windows 7 firewall on each machine's setting first before pinging)

This post has been edited by eclectice: Oct 23 2012, 10:16 AM
eclectice
post Oct 23 2012, 10:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,708 posts

QUOTE(adiputra @ Oct 23 2012, 10:14 AM)
yes, its weird...
i thought that so too..

done factory,wan,lan (using dhcp/gateway/subnet same), same workgroup, off firewall win7, pinging pc to laptop wireless ...boom...destination host unreachable..

haiyo....  rclxub.gif

pc to pc wired or other wireless android phone are good! can ping.... with wireless laptop cannot...zzz...
OK, let see your trouble in a clear way:
1) wired PC to wired PC - ping OK
2) wired PC to wireless Android phone - ping OK
3) wired PC to wireless laptop - ping NOK
4) wireless laptop to wireless Android phone - ??? please confirm

Since you are using Windows 7 firewall, make sure the ICMP echo ping is allowed

Please display the IP setting of:
1) one of the wireless laptops
2) one of the wired PCs
3) Android phone

This post has been edited by eclectice: Oct 23 2012, 10:21 AM
eclectice
post Oct 23 2012, 11:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,708 posts

QUOTE(adiputra @ Oct 23 2012, 10:55 AM)
hi sir,
i hear about this, but is this router support that ? if yes where can i turn it off ?
already try on off almost everthing inside router setting but the problem still there...
It is also labeled as wireless client isolation. If you enable it, your wireless router will drop connection of the wireless clients from wired/wireless connections at its wireless access point. So, each client won't be able to talk to each other. It only improves security but it does not change wireless network performance. Usually, if you have factory-reset the hardware, this setting is always disabled under Wireless basic setup.

This post has been edited by eclectice: Oct 23 2012, 11:08 AM
eclectice
post Oct 23 2012, 11:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,708 posts

QUOTE(adiputra @ Oct 23 2012, 11:07 AM)
owh i see,
i don't see any isolation option in wireless setting for this router or it under different name ?
I have TP-LINK TD-W8960N which is more or less have the the same user interface as yours. It is usually under Wireless->Basic on the same page where you set the SSID and wireless enabled toggle. Look for "Clients isolation" check box and uncheck it.

Added on October 23, 2012, 11:19 amIf after the uncheck of "Clients isolation" won't solve it, I will only suspect firewall blocking of ping requests. As it seems from your report, your Android phone can ping wirelessly to your wired PC. I hope you don't set/touch anything in your router and Windows that can block ping requests. Try with other application like FTP server to FTP client to make sure it is not really a firewall setup issue.

This post has been edited by eclectice: Oct 23 2012, 11:20 AM
eclectice
post Oct 23 2012, 11:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,708 posts

OK, ignore the clients isolation for a while as it has nothing to do with your problem. Why? Your android phone can ping wirelessly to your wired PC. Only your laptop is not working as expected where it is unable to ping wirelessly to wired PC and android phone.

Just to double-check: are the three laptops from the same model? Are all of them having the same problem? What kind of wireless standard your wireless laptops are using right now? I will check if there is any issue with wireless standard that can cause a connectivity problem.

Ignore ping and try something else like Remote Desktop connection. See if you can remote desktop from/to wireless laptop.

Or, try to use DHCP auto-configuration instead of static private IP address setting for your wireless laptops to see whether the DHCP service is working on the router or not.

This post has been edited by eclectice: Oct 23 2012, 11:44 AM
eclectice
post Oct 23 2012, 12:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,708 posts

When your laptops are connected wirelessly, what is their current detected speed? Does it says something "Excellent" or else? If you move them closer to the access point, does it improve the connection instead of ping timeouts?

Try to change your channel to AUTO. I suspect Channel 11 is overcrowded (jammed) since it is not only your router is using it but other wireless access points from your neighbors as well.

Added on October 23, 2012, 12:26 pm
QUOTE(rootlinux @ Oct 23 2012, 12:08 PM)
Try the following: -

1) Switch to Wireless-G = try access the laptop from PC

2) With Wireless-N, switch to 20MHz = try access the laptop from PC

3) With Wireless-N, switch Encryption to AES = try access the laptop from PC

Lastly try boot Ubuntu on the laptop with original setup, try access the laptop from PC by ping.

Hope the troubleshooting above can lead u to solve ur issue. Thank u.
Option 2 is more interesting to try since it forces the router to work on the wireless-N bandwidth at 150Mbps @ 2.4 GHz and it matches your router actual bandwidth capability.

Added on October 23, 2012, 12:38 pmYou can check its FAQ as well

http://www.tplink.com/en/support/faq/?keywords=TD-W8951ND

This post has been edited by eclectice: Oct 23 2012, 12:38 PM
eclectice
post Oct 23 2012, 07:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,708 posts

QUOTE(adiputra @ Oct 23 2012, 05:02 PM)
hi all,

i follow the step u guys post...surprisingly it work! ...

it's either or both :

2) With Wireless-N, switch to 20MHz = try access the laptop from PC

or

3) With Wireless-N, switch Encryption to AES = try access the laptop from PC

as i change it both. all my workgroup are there! fuh thx all ....

i change from mix b/g/n , b only, g only, b+g and n only all show my workgroup! biggrin.gif

thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif  rclxm9.gif    rclxm9.gif  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif 
i will keep monitor this till few days. hopefully it working well..

just for my info, why i need to change to 20mhz & just AES not TKIP/AES ?
Take this info from my wireless router:

Warning: we suggest you not to set WEP encryption to "Enabled" when the device runs in 11n mode. The device's wireless highest speed is 54Mbps in that encryption type.
Tips: 11n only mode are not supported when WEP encryption is "Enabled" or WPA Encryption type is "TKIP".
Tips: "WPA Encryption" are not allowed to set to "TKIP" when the device runs in 11n mode.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0249sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:44 PM