post Jan 31 2016, 01:54 PM

Regular
1,124 posts

QUOTE(noien @ Jan 31 2016, 12:18 AM)
aiya.i thought i found the same person with same habit
Interesting habit.
May I ask why ?
Weather shield is more expensive.
I used pearl glow because I want to be able to wipe dirty marks off the wall.
I don't see advantages in using Wethershield indoors.

noien
post Jan 31 2016, 01:58 PM

Getting Started
3,115 posts

QUOTE(Noregrets @ Jan 31 2016, 01:54 PM)
Interesting habit.
May I ask why ?
Weather shield is more expensive.
I used pearl glow because I want to be able to wipe dirty marks off the wall.
I don't see advantages in using Wethershield indoors.
pearl glo is nice only if the wall is very 'flat'
if weather shield can be used outside and last long. if put it indoor, it will last even longer. and u can even have water on it.
wiping would be harder as it is not as smooth as pearl glo.

normally i buy those 18L weather shield
TSNoregrets
post Jan 31 2016, 02:05 PM

Regular
1,124 posts

QUOTE(noien @ Jan 31 2016, 01:58 PM)
pearl glo is nice only if the wall is very 'flat'
if weather shield can be used outside and last long. if put it indoor, it will last even longer. and u can even have water on it.
wiping would be harder as it is not as smooth as pearl glo.

normally i buy those 18L weather shield
OIC. I skimmed all the walls in my house so it's quite flats.
TSNoregrets
post Feb 6 2016, 11:09 AM

Regular
1,124 posts

Today I just signed a letter of offer to purchase another unit of townhouse at my current location.
This time I am buying the upper unit instead of ground floor unit.
It still has 3 + 1 bedrooms and 3 baths although a bit smaller at 1,600 sq ft.
I'm looking forward again to the fun of thinking of a theme for the new unit, designing, renovation and picking up the furniture.
But this time it will not be a major reno like the one I am staying in.
But I will still make it quite nice and comfortable but at a lower cost - no high end fittings and furniture.
I don't intend to rent it out.
Instead I intend to use it for AirBNB.
Or rent to Malaysian families from outstation who comes to KL for a day or two.
Or rent to people who lives not so near Gleneagles Hospital ( 5 minutes walk ) and has some family member hospitalised there and wish to look for a place nearby to stay on short term basis to look after their family member.
Thinking of charging RM 250 per night.
I will be happy if I can get 5 nights a month.

Only one possible hurdle - it's strata title and the JMB may disturb. Not sure how to handle this yet.

sonerin
post Feb 6 2016, 11:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

QUOTE(Noregrets @ Feb 6 2016, 11:09 AM)
Today I just signed a letter of offer to purchase another unit of townhouse at my current location.
This time I am buying the upper unit instead of ground floor unit.
It still has 3 + 1 bedrooms and 3 baths although a bit smaller at 1,600 sq ft.
I'm looking forward again to the fun of thinking of a theme for the new unit, designing, renovation and picking up the furniture.
But this time it will not be a major reno like the one I am staying in.
But I will still make it quite nice and comfortable but at a lower cost - no high end fittings and furniture.
I don't intend to rent it out.
Instead I intend to use it for AirBNB.
Or rent to Malaysian families from outstation who comes to KL for a day or two.
Or rent to people who lives not so near Gleneagles Hospital ( 5 minutes walk ) and has some family member hospitalised there and wish to look for a place nearby to stay on short term basis to look after their family member.
Thinking of charging RM 250 per night.
I will be happy if I can get 5 nights a month.

Only one possible hurdle - it's strata title and the JMB may disturb. Not sure how to handle this yet.
Also unit using for rental like home stay need license as this is consider commercial
oxm8
post Feb 6 2016, 05:21 PM

Regular
1,458 posts

Dont tell the JMB.
If your tenant behave, shouldnt be a problem. Many people now rent their house in AirBnB/homestay
TSNoregrets
post Feb 12 2016, 06:53 AM

Regular
1,124 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Feb 6 2016, 11:20 AM)
Also unit using for rental like home stay need license as this is consider commercial
Would Airbnb be considered as home stay ?
I'm not too worried about the commercial part anyway because unlike home stay, there are no sign boards etc.
The insurance part I can handle.
IRD part, I can declare any income from AirBnB - I wonder if the IRD go to AirBnB website to look for Malaysians renting out their property in this manner.

sonerin
post Feb 12 2016, 07:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

Is the majlis perbandaran that will kacau
TSNoregrets
post Feb 12 2016, 07:06 AM

Regular
1,124 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Feb 12 2016, 07:02 AM)
Is the majlis perbandaran that will kacau
Mine is strata titled and gated so it's unlikely they will know or come at a time when I happen to have guest.
Unless my neighbours screw me by reporting.

Maybe I can try with outstation friends coming to KL with their family for a few days holiday.

Nevertheless I am not depending on the income from renting it out. Any come that comes in is a bonus for me.

As long as the economy does not deteriorate too much.
sonerin
post Feb 12 2016, 07:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

True the neighbour not just immediate but all the people staying in the block. The thing is sometimes renting it people will disturb the neighborhood because of noise for example and majlis perbandaran once they get involve will be a lot headache
kinggerrard
post Feb 12 2016, 11:32 AM

Getting Started
197 posts

Your neighbors have the right to report to the MC or the relevant authorities as this is not a commercial title but residential title. Just be aware ya..
TSNoregrets
post Jun 12 2016, 03:17 PM

Regular
1,124 posts

Yesterday heavy rain caused by master bedroom to be flooded slightly.

I think the concealed drain is stuck and water from the roof gutter has no where to go.
Hence it looked for the weakest spot which is the sliding door of the master bedroom.
The concealed drain is just outside the sliding door.
The hole in the sliding door rail is for the extra lock for the sliding door - I put some straws there to channel some water away from my room

Attached Image

Attached Image

Praying hard that it does not rain heavily today.
Contractor will come tomorrow to hack the tiles to clear the drain.

Went to the shop in Jalan Ipoh to get back the same tiles ( I have the product code of course ) but the shop not there already - Apex Ceramics City.
So looked around for the shops there and surprisingly the shops there don't stock Niro !!!
Went to Ampang area also can't find a shop that sells Niro.
Anyway no problem as I can google or worse case I remove all the tiles in a straight line across the floor and use a different tile as some floor design.

I'm going to leave a drain hole once I repair the hacking so that in future I can clean it easily - I bought this just now and will get my contractor to cut a piece tile for the cover so that it does not stand out too much.

Attached Image

Internal damage :

1. Got to replace most of the laminate floor in the room as I don't know how far the water seeped underneath - it's popping up here and there

Attached Image

Attached Image

2. Got to remove the wall skim coat and redo before repainting. From the looks of it, the drain has been stuck for some time and water has been seeping in bit by bit without me noticing

Attached Image

Attached Image

On.y 2.5 years since I did renovation and now this rclxub.gif rclxub.gif

My advise to everyone is that :
1. If possible keep some a dozen spare tiles in case you need to replace them
2. Keep you receipts so you know the product code
3. Try to put in a drain hole for concealed drain so you don't end up like me.
4. Inspect your wall now and then to see signs of problem

This post has been edited by Noregrets: Jun 12 2016, 03:38 PM
TSNoregrets
post Jun 13 2016, 10:57 PM

Regular
1,124 posts

Contractor came today - it's a mess and I have no idea why the fish pond fellow directed the pipes towards the sliding door area when clearly it should go the other way into the drain and outside of the house.
That direction has no outlet for water to escape.
I don't know why I did not have problems before as I have been living here for 2 yards plus.
I don't even know why he built 2 pipes out from the pond when all is need is one for the water to flow out when cleaning the pond.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Good news is that the resultant damage in the laminated floorboard and wall damage is covered by my home insurance.

Bad news is that the clearing of the blockage and changing of pipes is not covered by insurance and I think this may be the more expensive bill.
sonerin
post Jun 16 2016, 09:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

QUOTE(Noregrets @ Jun 13 2016, 10:57 PM)
Contractor came today - it's a mess and I have no idea why the fish pond fellow directed the pipes towards the sliding door area when clearly it should go the other way into the drain and outside of the house.
That direction has no outlet for water to escape.
I don't know why I did not have problems before as I have been living here for 2 yards plus.
I don't even know why he built 2 pipes out from the pond when all is need is one for the water to flow out when cleaning the pond.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Good news is that the resultant damage in the laminated floorboard and wall damage is covered by my home insurance.

Bad news is that the clearing of the blockage and changing of pipes is not covered by insurance and I think this may be the more expensive bill.
Can I ask where you bought the fake grass ?
TSNoregrets
post Jun 16 2016, 10:21 PM

Regular
1,124 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Jun 16 2016, 09:05 PM)
Can I ask where you bought the fake grass ?
I don't remember the name of the shop but it's on Jalan Gasing going from Federal Highway turn into Jalan Gasong - it's before the Chinese temple.
sonerin
post Jun 17 2016, 07:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

QUOTE(Noregrets @ Jun 16 2016, 10:21 PM)
I don't remember the name of the shop but it's on Jalan Gasing going from Federal Highway turn into Jalan Gasong - it's before the Chinese temple.
Oh I think I know which one. Thanks. I really like your house with the split levels
TSNoregrets
post Jun 17 2016, 11:18 PM

Regular
1,124 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Jun 17 2016, 07:28 AM)
Oh I think I know which one. Thanks. I really like your house with the split levels
Thanks I'm getting the keys to another unit on Monday, this time the upper level unit so the renovation fun begins all again soon puke.gif
sonerin
post Jun 18 2016, 08:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,690 posts

QUOTE(Noregrets @ Jun 17 2016, 11:18 PM)
Thanks I'm getting the keys to another unit on Monday, this time the upper level unit so the renovation fun begins all again soon  puke.gif
Wow congrats on your new purchase. Happy renovating. If you want to look for contractor my friend who renovated my house recommend to you.
halcyon27
post Jul 4 2016, 10:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,140 posts

QUOTE(Noregrets @ Jun 12 2016, 03:17 PM)
Yesterday heavy rain caused by master bedroom to be flooded slightly.

I think the concealed drain is stuck and water from the roof gutter has no where to go.
Hence it looked for the weakest spot which is the sliding door of the master bedroom.
The concealed drain is just outside the sliding door.
The hole in the sliding door rail is for the extra lock for the sliding door - I put some straws there to channel some water away from my room

Attached Image

Attached Image

Praying hard that it does not rain heavily today.
Contractor will come tomorrow to hack the tiles to clear the drain.

Went to the shop in Jalan Ipoh to get back the same tiles ( I have the product code of course ) but the shop not there already - Apex Ceramics City.
So looked around for the shops there and surprisingly the shops there don't stock Niro !!!
Went to Ampang area also can't find a shop that sells Niro.
Anyway no problem as I can google or worse case I remove all the tiles in a straight line across the floor and use a different tile as some floor design.

I'm going to leave a drain hole once I repair the hacking so that in future I can clean it easily - I bought this just now and will get my contractor to cut a piece tile for the cover so that it does not stand out too much.

Attached Image

Internal damage :

1. Got to replace most of the laminate floor in the room as I don't know how far the water seeped underneath - it's popping up here and there

Attached Image

Attached Image

2. Got to remove the wall skim coat and redo before repainting. From the looks of it, the drain has been stuck for some time and water has been seeping in bit by bit without me noticing

Attached Image

Attached Image

On.y 2.5 years since I did renovation and now this  rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif

My advise to everyone is that :
1. If possible keep some a dozen spare tiles in case you need to replace them
2. Keep you receipts so you know the product code
3. Try to put in a drain hole for concealed drain so you don't end up like me.
4. Inspect your wall now and then to see signs of problem
Sorry to hear that. Yes hindsight is sharpest when these happen so chalk it up to experience. One of my friend had a similar situation. One thing he did was to have a 2' setback which he laid tiles - sort of like a transition area from interior to exterior. Ugly but he had no choice. Unlike your layout, there was no step down from indoor to outdoor i.e. indoor and outdoor same level. *Wince*

This post has been edited by halcyon27: Jul 5 2016, 01:29 AM
TSNoregrets
post Jul 6 2016, 10:17 AM

Regular
1,124 posts

Repair is completed but I don't have the bill for the repairs to the pipes yet - guess it will be about RM 1k.
This cost is not payable by my insurance.

Replacement of the Innovar floor is expensive - RM 2,800.
Was advised to replace the whole room rather than the visible damaged ones.
Fortunately my insurance pays for the replacement of the floorboards but since I am replacing damaged and non damaged ones I have to bear 30% of replacement cost. I think that is fair so I agreed.

Cost of replastering the wall and repainting - don't think it is a lot money and since I am doing renovation for another house soon, will get the contractor to do it and will bear the cost myself.

Attached Image

39 Pages « < 31 32 33 34 35 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0229sec    0.52    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:19 PM