Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel Currency exchange

views

reef_d
post May 7 2009, 10:21 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

Hi.. i might be travelling to the US East Coast soon so i'll need to change some RMs to USDs.. the current rate is around RM3.50.. there's 2 money changer nearby my home in equine park, my question is:

how do i determine if its good to change money there? based on the current rate of rm3.50 for 1usd, if the money changer charges me rm3.70 per 1 usd.. is that considered reasonable? or very bad exhange rate for us? then what exchange rate values are considered good for us?

thanks!
reef_d
post May 19 2009, 04:00 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

if both side by side ofcourse we choose A..

but what if..

Money Changer A ...gives you US 1. You need to pay him RM3.50
But his place is a 25km drive..

Money Changer B ...gives you US 1. You need to pay him RM3.70
B is located just 2km from your house..

so how?

This post has been edited by reef_d: May 19 2009, 04:00 PM
reef_d
post Jun 8 2009, 10:44 AM

Getting Started
264 posts

i did mine at Jusco Equine.. The rate for usd that i got was 3.55 and i think it was quite ok as i dont wanna drive a long way to other places.. I checked out maybank and they were selling 1usd for 3.62.. Abit pricey.. Well i'm in the states now.. I'm using my credit card and the rate is reasonable too.. It's still RM3.55 for 1USD..
reef_d
post Aug 23 2009, 08:59 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

it would be better if you carry the euro amount you will need in a week.. the rest should stay in the bank.. withdraw only when u really need it.. the bank charges for me are really reasonable.. carrying too much cash is a big risk..

reef_d
post Aug 29 2009, 07:18 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

better calculate how much u save by going to wawasan in midvalley versus the petrol and parking cost to go there..
no point going to wawasan if you cant save.. try some small money changer outlets near your house..
i did the same and got really low rates and was happy i dont need to drive all the way to midvalley..
reef_d
post Sep 3 2009, 08:45 AM

Getting Started
264 posts

if you have a maybankcard, just ask your parent to transfer the money to your bank acc.. then use your atm card at any atm over there with the visa interlink/star logo.. you will be able to withdraw korean currency..

also you need to inform maybank that you are in korea and would like to use your atm card over there..

i did it this way when i was in US last month.. the rates from maybank were good enuff for me..

This post has been edited by reef_d: Sep 3 2009, 08:46 AM
reef_d
post Sep 3 2009, 09:10 AM

Getting Started
264 posts

i was charged USD2.50 per withdrawal..
so dont withdraw too often.. try to withdraw an amount that will last you at least a week..

on comparing the exchange rate that maybank gives..
mine was 1usd=rm3.58 (3.55 if you go money changer so maybanks rate is decent)..

reef_d
post Sep 3 2009, 05:58 PM

Getting Started
264 posts

QUOTE(Seng007 @ Sep 3 2009, 11:47 AM)
Wow, the charges are reasonable. Because I would be here in South Korea for 4 months. Anyway, how do I tell Maybank that I wanna withdraw money in South Korea? Since I am in Korea already. :S
call their customer service.. might have to do it malaysian hours.. korea is earlier then us right.. so it be later during the day for you in korea..
reef_d
post Sep 18 2009, 05:36 AM

Getting Started
264 posts

exchange rate of the bank.. no other charges..

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0367sec    0.68    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:36 PM