Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Updated: need suitable language do FYP, Changed FYP Title...

views

TSgkl83
post Feb 20 2006, 12:27 PM, updated 14y ago

Look at all my stars!!
8,241 posts

i not familiar with all of the languages... so need help here to choose suitable 1... i doing a web based clinic system with databse but not sure which languages suitable to develop the system... the interface can be use by user, doctors, nurse... but if possible the languages can provide more features like email, chart/graph, etc...

furthermore is there possible dun use the SQL as a database, seem like difficult for coding if web based sweat.gif but any opinion are welcome because i really need help and noob too...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Feb 23 2006, 01:11 PM
silverhawk
post Feb 20 2006, 12:57 PM

I'm Positively Lustrous
Group Icon
Elite
3,846 posts

Hey.. sounds like my current project o-O
Any language would be suitable... its up to you based on your expertise. You can do it with CGI( using Perl/C/C++/etc), Ruby on rails, PHP, JSP, ASP.NET etc.

Trust me, using a relational database is going to be heck alot easier compared to using a flat file database. Web applications are generally easier to develop compared to normal applications, so i don't see why you think web based is harder.

In the end what you choose is entirely up to you. However you will need to give reasons as to why you chose it.
yingchai
post Feb 20 2006, 02:11 PM

Regular
1,248 posts

i suggest using:

asp.net wif microsoft SQL server

or

php wif mysql
TSgkl83
post Feb 20 2006, 05:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,241 posts

thanx... still got any best programming combination? smile.gif
because hope i wont spend time to learn for useless programming that might cant use for my project...

This post has been edited by gkl83: Feb 20 2006, 05:47 PM
illnessz
post Feb 21 2006, 12:40 AM

Getting Started
117 posts

QUOTE("yingchai")
i suggest using:

asp.net wif microsoft SQL server

or

php wif mysql

yeah..try make a reaserch on that 1 wink.gif
nexus-
post Feb 21 2006, 12:55 AM

The intrepid coward
Group Icon
VIP
3,744 posts

I'd say flat files alone (so this excludes bdb etc.) are harder to handle than a proper database and SQL is easy to learn anyway.

Any languages are fine, depending on how do you want to develop your software. For a medium to big scale system, you could use JSP+Servlets+Java Beans with a simple db, such as MySQL, or PHP + MySQL/PostgreSQL or ASP/ASP .NET.

If you are familiar with Java, obviously the first choice would be better, if you are from a C/C++ background, PHP is an easy transition and if you are from a VB background, ASP would suit you fine.
rukawa
post Feb 21 2006, 10:34 AM

::+::KukuKawa::+::
1,902 posts

Doing web based is much better than doin standalone projects with database access. Besides, you're lucky your institute lets you do web-based projects, mine wasn't not unless it's something sophisticated.

lonewolf
post Feb 21 2006, 10:51 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,944 posts

since you are doing web base app and the clinic system is not big after all..
for fast and easy...best combo is PHP + MySQL. Try not to do a flatfile system, you will end up spending more time tracking the records in the flat file. No matter how, you still need a relation database for fast and efficient system.
anthony_yio
post Feb 21 2006, 06:34 PM

Group Icon
Elite
1,828 posts

QUOTE(gkl83 @ Feb 20 2006, 12:27 PM)
i not familiar with all of the languages... so need help here to choose suitable 1... i doing a web based clinic system with databse but not sure which languages suitable to develop the system... the interface can be use by user, doctors, nurse... but if possible the languages can provide more features like email, chart/graph, etc...

furthermore is there possible dun use the SQL as a database, seem like difficult for coding if web based sweat.gif  but any opinion are welcome because i really need help and noob too...
The underlying architecture of IIS or what ever web server is actually a multithreaded service which handle multiple threads. Unless you have any idea what is multithreading and concurrent access control concept. I don't think you would want to touch on flat file in web application.

The web server and DBMS is actually doing all these dirty works behind the scene for you which make it look simple.
Unless you think you can beat the DBMS design with a good reason behind, you shouldn't even consider doing so. Using flat file doesn't make your application look good or better in another word.

TSgkl83
post Feb 23 2006, 01:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,241 posts

How about it if do "inventory control and reporting system"?
web based will better than standalone application?
salcom
post Feb 23 2006, 01:59 PM

Casual
430 posts

ASP with IIS server is the way to go. ASP is VB-like scripting language. To host ASP, simply install IIS server.

IIS is available for WinXP and above and you doesn't need an extra CD to install. Easy Microsoft style of user friendliness make it easier to install and configure everything. MsSQL server on the other hand need some money. It's so easy to configure and build database with the visual tools. Unlike PHP, mySQL and Apache, Microsoft best part is it provides you with visual tools

WAMP (Windows, Apache, mySQL, PHP) on the other hand, are more complicated to configure. But if are you talking about security and performance wise, WAMP beats IIS. With the lack of visual tools, you need to enter command by words. Fortunately, some developer build something like WAMP server, EasyPHP that combine and configure everything in just one installation. Pretty neat huh?

That my point of view smile.gif

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0321sec    0.83    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st November 2019 - 10:38 AM