Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What is this kind of hosting?

views

TSfire-fly3
post Oct 2 2012, 04:15 PM, updated 12y ago

Getting Started
121 posts

Hi all, I wanna host something for my project. I never try to do that before, so want to know there are how many type of hosting solutions out there? For example, most of the hosting limit the language or environment for example, it only allow mysql + php , or java + database or blah blah... What I am looking for is that I want to take control of the hosting environment because I need to open quite several port behind, for example node.js, mongodb, java tomcat, mysql and blah blah.... What is the name of this kind of hosting, I need to know the name in order to google the provider....

I can't find suitable place to post this, I think it quite relate to programming somehow. tongue.gif

thanks any help in advanced.
abubin
post Oct 2 2012, 04:28 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

you can get VPS or cloud server or dedicated server.

All three let you run your own OS and complete root access. That means you can do anything you want.
TSfire-fly3
post Oct 2 2012, 05:02 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Oct 2 2012, 04:28 PM)
you can get VPS or cloud server or dedicated server.

All three let you run your own OS and complete root access. That means you can do anything you want.
Thank your help.

Some of the provider will still limit the environment based on their rules?

I still see some of them list the "Supported Scripting & Software" which is not actually preferable by my situation. For example: http://www.vodien.com/hosting-with-cpanel.php

Does that mean they still limit the script and software run on the server? I see quite a lot of provider doing like this.
abubin
post Oct 2 2012, 05:24 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

That is cpanel. It is a website management control panel. Not server complete server management. Not everything can be done using cpanel. Some of them, you will need to install manually using root. That means as long as you are given root access, you can do anything you want. You can't expect to manage everything using cpanel. Ff you need advanced stuffs you need to do it manually from system level.
TSfire-fly3
post Oct 2 2012, 05:30 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Oct 2 2012, 05:24 PM)
That is cpanel. It is a website management control panel. Not server complete server management. Not everything can be done using cpanel. Some of them, you will need to install manually using root. That means as long as you are given root access, you can do anything you want. You can't expect to manage everything using cpanel. Ff you need advanced stuffs you need to do it manually from system level.
I see... I am getting clear now.

Usually how do I connect to the server? Using SSH?

By the way, if I want to install window in the server. How am I going to do that? I have the window CD with me but how to move to their server?

forget to ask, I haven't install any OS yet, how do I login with root access? Is the linux OS install by default?

This post has been edited by fire-fly3: Oct 2 2012, 05:43 PM
ngbh
post Oct 2 2012, 05:32 PM

On my way
534 posts

1st post like linux server

what windows u want to install to linux server ?
TSfire-fly3
post Oct 2 2012, 05:37 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

QUOTE(ngbh @ Oct 2 2012, 05:32 PM)
1st post like linux server

what windows u want to install to linux server ?
What does it mean "first post is like linux server"?

I use Window for example only, I mean I don't know how to install it remotely. Does not mean ultimately I will use Window. Although in fact, I am not very familiar with linux......
wKkaY
post Oct 3 2012, 12:33 PM

misutā supākoru
Group Icon
VIP
6,008 posts

QUOTE(fire-fly3 @ Oct 2 2012, 05:30 PM)
By the way, if I want to install window in the server. How am I going to do that? I have the window CD with me but how to move to their server?
The usual way to go about this is to choose a Windows server, so that Windows comes pre-installed.

Some servers have a remote console with virtual CD drive. Installation proceeds as usual except that you're doing it over the network console instead of at the physical server.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0135sec    0.25    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:29 PM