Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> RedHat Certification, Worth it?

views

TSlelynx
post Feb 13 2006, 08:04 PM, updated 15y ago

Enthusiast
791 posts

I notice from the redhat website that it will cost us thousands of bucks for a normal redhat certification.

Is this worth the money?
BTW, anyone have have gone through the mill on this cert.?
Where to get it locally?
Which one of the cert. is better? http://apac.redhat.com/training/gear/

From what I'm looking at, if I'm not going for a Advance Sys. Admin on Linux, I think the basic one will do for me... What do you say?

Thanks for any comments or share of experience...
d8kd
post Feb 13 2006, 08:28 PM

I'm watching over you
879 posts

QUOTE(lelynx @ Feb 13 2006, 08:04 PM)
I notice from the redhat website that it will cost us thousands of bucks for a normal redhat certification.

Is this worth the money?
BTW, anyone have have gone through the mill on this cert.?
Where to get it locally?
Which one of the cert. is better? http://apac.redhat.com/training/gear/

From what I'm looking at, if I'm not going for a Advance Sys. Admin on Linux, I think the basic one will do for me... What do you say?

Thanks for any comments or share of experience...
i believe every cert has its own value.

basic one you should go for LPI
for advance go for RHCE.
sylvian14
post Feb 13 2006, 08:30 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

Hi there,

Any certification is always a plus and will benefit you greatly.

There is a training centre in MUI Plaza, Jln P.Ramlee, Training Choice. They do provide RedHat Certification courses. You can logon to their website to find out.

www.training-choice.com
Email : [email protected]

You can enquire from them on the prices as well.

I haven't gone through RH certification before, but I heard that it's a one-day fully hands-on exam, where you'll be given different scenarios and you'll need to configure the server to that requirements. Not easy .... blink.gif

d8kd
post Feb 13 2006, 11:37 PM

I'm watching over you
879 posts

QUOTE(sylvian14 @ Feb 13 2006, 08:30 PM)
I haven't gone through RH certification before, but I heard that it's a one-day fully hands-on exam, where you'll be given different scenarios and you'll need to configure the server to that requirements. Not easy ....  blink.gif
exactly as what i heard.
so it's better that you are well experienced in linux b4 taking rhce,
cos i heard that this exam is kinda hard.

ihsan
post Feb 14 2006, 07:42 AM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,235 posts

the exam is easy. the myth that it is hard is propagated by people who had ZERO exposure in linux and straight away jumping to the exam.
sylvian14
post Feb 14 2006, 09:57 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(d8kd @ Feb 13 2006, 11:37 PM)
exactly as what i heard.
so it's better that you are well experienced in linux b4 taking rhce,
cos i heard that this exam is kinda hard.
You're right, it is hard, from the feedback I was getting. Experience is a definite plus here .. smile.gif

sylvian14
post Feb 14 2006, 09:59 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(ihsan @ Feb 14 2006, 07:42 AM)
the exam is easy. the myth that it is hard is propagated by people who had ZERO exposure in linux and straight away jumping to the exam.
Most of them, I believe, took the exams right after the course, which is true, didn't give much time for them to do "hands-on". smile.gif
mAnGkOk_jAmBaNs
post Feb 15 2006, 08:49 AM

Getting Started
130 posts

to get any knowledge/experiences ... you have to pay the price ....
bluefries
post Feb 15 2006, 12:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,617 posts

It cost around how much ?
sylvian14
post Feb 15 2006, 05:38 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(bluefries @ Feb 15 2006, 12:03 PM)
It cost around how much ?
Not sure about the pricing, but you can enquire from them.

Email id : [email protected]

smile.gif

PurplePig
post Feb 16 2006, 01:07 PM

11 posts

I have LPI.
There are always a debate whether to take LPI or RHCE.
Well, if you ask me, LPI is cheaper and it's all question based. No hands-on during exam while RHCE you actually have to configure and install a linux box.
But the debate is, if RHCE, all you need to know is, install and reinstall and reinstall and configure everyday, you'll pass it. Plus some troubleshooting.
Where else LPI, because it's question based, it covers broader and deeper side of the underlying Linux OS.
Well, of course, the debate goes on...

For LPI, the exam fees for Level 1 (consists of 2 papers) when I took it was USD100 each paper.
Polishman
post Feb 16 2006, 01:53 PM

Casual
371 posts

If you know linux well - RHCE is not worth the money or effort. It's easy to pass even for intermediates.

I take you don't know linux well - as at the expert level no certifications are needed (reputation and experience is 100 times more valuable).

If you are wallpaper collector - it's worth it as the certificate is printed on a nice thick papers, logo (red hat) colour is nice and the overall graphical design is nice to an eye. It makes a nice change between the row of boring microsoft and cisco certification papers...

PurplePig
post Feb 16 2006, 03:42 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(Polishman @ Feb 16 2006, 01:53 PM)
If you know linux well - RHCE is not worth the money or effort. It's easy to pass even for intermediates.

I take you don't know linux well - as at the expert level no certifications are needed (reputation and experience is 100 times more valuable).

If you are wallpaper collector - it's worth it as the certificate is printed on a nice thick papers, logo (red hat) colour is nice and the overall graphical design is nice to an eye. It makes a nice change between the row of boring microsoft and cisco certification papers...
Well, ppl wif like 10-15 years IT experience won't even consider certs like this.
Obviously, certifications are for entry level people. Where their experience can't proof their worthiness but only by certifications.

For example, freshies, wanna get a job in Linux SA. Lucky if you could find a company that gives you a chance and have the luxury of training you.
But mostly? Even if you use Linux long beforehand you joined the working industry, then when you go to the interview, you tell the interviewer, I know Linux.
What are your supports?

But please bear in mind that RHCE or LPI will NOT definitely get you a job, but as a supporting tools/skills to back you up.
Imagine 2 interviewees, both degree, applying for the same job, SA. 1 with and 1 without RHCE/LPI. And there are a few Linux boxes lying around.
Need me to say anymore?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
TSlelynx
post Feb 16 2006, 08:12 PM

Enthusiast
791 posts

Well, it's about nature of the work we are in as well...
For instance, for my case... I often need to support customer with LINUX/UNIX servers even though i'm not extremely good at it.
But some of the IT guys there (especially those famous corporate bumi company), the first thing that they will asked was...
Are u XXX certified?

Crazy!!! As if i need a stupid cert to show him that i can troubleshoot his problem...

Ppl nowaday are toooo blinded by academic factor...

Anyway, thanks guys for the useful info on the cert issue.

This post has been edited by lelynx: Feb 16 2006, 08:13 PM
ihsan
post Feb 16 2006, 08:14 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,235 posts

they want quick validation of your skills. certs provide that.

business works that way. learn to deal with it.
omron
post Jan 22 2018, 06:42 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

hi , do you know where i can take the red hat system admin exam with low price.
socratesman
post Jan 27 2018, 05:43 AM

Regular
1,627 posts

QUOTE(Polishman @ Feb 16 2006, 01:53 PM)
Wow THAT easy huh? I know or heard of quite a few Linux L2 engineers who couldn't even pass RHCSA
petirbuas
post Jan 29 2018, 10:24 AM

( 。◕ ‿‿ ◕。)
897 posts

QUOTE(omron @ Jan 22 2018, 06:42 PM)
hi , do you know where i can take the red hat system admin exam with low price.
Price is standardized. Try contact exam center, they might have promo or something similar from time to time.
petirbuas
post Jan 29 2018, 10:29 AM

( 。◕ ‿‿ ◕。)
897 posts

QUOTE(socratesman @ Jan 27 2018, 05:43 AM)
Wow THAT easy huh?  I know or heard of quite a few Linux L2 engineers who couldn't even pass RHCSA
You're replying to an old post. But current RHCE definitely not "easy".
I would recommend at least 1 year experience for RHCSA, additional 2 years from RHCE. This is for admin/engineer that actually spent most of their working hour in RedHat.
hedkandi
post Aug 30 2018, 02:35 PM

1 posts

I took my ITILv3 Foundation-paid by the company I used to work for

I passed it on the first attempt.

After 4 years of Unix, I moved on to Linux with a new company. Within 6 months of employment they sent me for RHCSA. I took my exam with Iverson Bandar Utama. I was working in Cyberjaya. I took the 2 attempts and 1 week training course package. Among my fellow participants I could point out whom will fail and pass. The exam is relatively easy but I didn't manage my time well. I was struggling to finish the 12 questions in time. I knew I was going to fail-not because I didn't know how to answer my questions but because my timing was poor.

I went back 2 weeks later-I attacked the questions head-on by grouping the most complex of questions first (which required multiple reboots) and did all the easy ones last. I left with 30 mins to spare. I was the only female candidate in the room of 20 men. I also did my subtle best to assist the guy next to me as he was having a full blown panic attack. But he failed.

My instructor knew I was going to pass. After the exam results were emailed to me, I corrected him on some of his teaching in the class room (it was incorrect)

I went on to take Sun Associate, and passed too.

I want to add that I am married woman, in my early 30s and after 4 years of sabbatical-I still got hired. My certs were gold. They're valuable even if they're taken 6 years back.

I want to add to, that I was the only female member in my all-male Insfra team, I used to give training to Service Desk team, I encourage knowledge sharing, and a lot of my Linux knowledge is my own learning. I keep myself updated by reading up online and working on my Virtual Machine. You can't go in any exam lazy, or stupid. You need to work and put in effort. You need to go in smart.
dayojah
post Oct 29 2018, 10:41 PM

Enthusiast
716 posts

RedHat has just been bought over by IBM
NewUserName
post Aug 24 2019, 06:04 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

QUOTE(hedkandi @ Aug 30 2018, 02:35 PM)
I took my ITILv3 Foundation-paid by the company I used to work for

I passed it on the first attempt.

After 4 years of Unix, I moved on to Linux with a new company. Within 6 months of employment they sent me for RHCSA. I took my exam with Iverson Bandar Utama. I was working in Cyberjaya. I took the 2 attempts and 1 week training course package. Among my fellow participants I could point out whom will fail and pass. The exam is relatively easy but I didn't manage my time well. I was struggling to finish the 12 questions in time. I knew I was going to fail-not because I didn't know how to answer my questions but because my timing was poor.

I went back 2 weeks later-I attacked the questions head-on by grouping the most complex of questions first (which required multiple reboots) and did all the easy ones last. I left with 30 mins to spare. I was the only female candidate in the room of 20 men. I also did my subtle best to assist the guy next to me as he was having a full blown panic attack. But he failed.

My instructor knew I was going to pass. After the exam results were emailed to me, I corrected him on some of his teaching in the class room (it was incorrect)

I went on to take Sun Associate, and passed too.

I want to add that I am married woman, in my early 30s and after 4 years of sabbatical-I still got hired. My certs were gold. They're valuable even if they're taken 6 years back.

I want to add to, that I was the only female member in my all-male Insfra team, I used to give training to Service Desk team, I encourage knowledge sharing, and a lot of my Linux knowledge is my own learning. I keep myself updated by reading up online and working on my Virtual Machine. You can't go in any exam lazy, or stupid. You need to work and put in effort. You need to go in smart.
Wow... you really good
Last week i failed my ITIL
werrbug
post Sep 8 2019, 08:55 PM

42 posts

Should I go RHCSA with rhel 8? Or just go with rhel 7?
lan76
post Sep 15 2019, 11:03 AM

Casual
307 posts

Well, RHCE is still one of the recognizable certification out there.
the18th
post Sep 16 2019, 06:03 PM

39 posts

QUOTE(werrbug @ Sep 8 2019, 08:55 PM)
Go for 7. I can teach you
werrbug
post Sep 16 2019, 11:40 PM

42 posts

QUOTE(the18th @ Sep 16 2019, 06:03 PM)
Go for 7. I can teach you
😍😍😍😍 Wow. Thank you!! Online class?
myroy
post Sep 21 2020, 09:33 PM

BIG BOSS
1,026 posts

QUOTE(werrbug @ Sep 8 2019, 08:55 PM)
go for RHEL8 but if you taken after Oct 2020, it will include containers (RHCSA)
kent05
post Oct 19 2020, 05:20 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

QUOTE(myroy @ Sep 21 2020, 09:33 PM)
go for RHEL8 but if you taken after Oct 2020, it will include containers (RHCSA)
Does RHCSA exam include bash shell scripting? Any good containers resources or study material?
myroy
post Oct 21 2020, 04:58 PM

BIG BOSS
1,026 posts

QUOTE(kent05 @ Oct 19 2020, 05:20 PM)
Does RHCSA exam include bash shell scripting? Any good  containers resources or study material?
i just finished my rhcsa last month
i believed now they include containers (i did not have exp on this)
kent05
post Oct 26 2020, 02:56 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

QUOTE(myroy @ Oct 21 2020, 04:58 PM)
i just finished my rhcsa last month
i believed now they include containers (i did not have exp on this)
Is the exam tough?
myroy
post Oct 27 2020, 12:03 PM

BIG BOSS
1,026 posts

QUOTE(kent05 @ Oct 26 2020, 02:56 PM)
Is the exam tough?
Just keep practicing, get enough resource
and can join Redhat slack team, they are discussing a lot regarding RHCSA/RHCE/RHCA exams
razerS P
post Nov 15 2020, 12:31 AM

Probation
40 posts

Redhat is basically easy.. LFCE .. Damn tough...
myroy
post Jan 14 2021, 06:05 AM

BIG BOSS
1,026 posts

QUOTE(razerS @ Nov 15 2020, 12:31 AM)
Redhat is basically easy.. LFCE .. Damn tough...
Redhat is big, which one RHCSA, RHCE, RHCA
razerS P
post Jan 15 2021, 04:07 AM

Probation
40 posts

QUOTE(myroy @ Jan 14 2021, 06:05 AM)
Redhat is big, which one RHCSA, RHCE, RHCA
RHCSA > RHCE

RHCA - with atleast 5 redhat certs

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0233sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled