Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Singapore REITS, S-REITS

views

Ramjade
post Dec 13 2017, 09:40 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(foofoosasa @ Dec 13 2017, 09:38 AM)
Many of the REITS in sg pay the dividend quarterly basis. It is really turn off for me  hmm.gif imagine you own few REITS  mega_shok.gif your handling fee easily cost SGD 200++ per year shakehead.gif
That's why you don't let them have a slice of your pie. Whatever the reits make, you should get to keep 100% of it. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
ShinG3e
post Dec 13 2017, 10:26 AM

o0o
1,494 posts

QUOTE(v1n0d @ Dec 13 2017, 08:34 AM)
To those here who own Singaporean REITs, did you buy them through a Malaysian brokerage, or did you set up an account in Singapore?
i'm using SG brokerage myself after finding out that in long term, it's cheaper and convenient to use SG brokerage for SG stocks. biggrin.gif
v1n0d
post Dec 13 2017, 10:36 AM

Another roof, another proof.
3,197 posts

Thanks all for the replies. Anyone care to share the requirements to open a brokerage in Singapore?
wongmunkeong
post Dec 13 2017, 10:39 AM

Barista FIRE
Group Icon
Elite
5,572 posts

To those here who own Singaporean REITs, did you buy them through a Malaysian brokerage, or did you set up an account in Singapore?
Speaking for myself, unlike others assumption, i'm using HLeBroking (Malaysia) for SGREITs. IMHO, the cost per dividend isn't much as a % if U can afford to invest in SG. I'd rather do this VS running over to SG to open a/c, transfer of $ to that brokerage, etc.

Note - for US stocks, i do have an SG account but it does not require me to run to/fro and etc. smile.gif
Being effectively lazy is an art laugh.gif
Ramjade
post Dec 13 2017, 10:43 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(v1n0d @ Dec 13 2017, 10:36 AM)
Thanks all for the replies. Anyone care to share the requirements to open a brokerage in Singapore?
QUOTE(wongmunkeong @ Dec 13 2017, 10:39 AM)
Speaking for myself, unlike others assumption, i'm using HLeBroking (Malaysia) for SGREITs. IMHO, the cost per dividend isn't much as a % if U can afford to invest in SG. I'd rather do this VS running over to SG to open a/c, transfer of $ to that brokerage, etc.

Note - for US stocks, i do have an SG account but it does not require me to run to/fro and etc. smile.gif
Being effectively lazy is an art  laugh.gif
The easier would be FSM SG. Which let you open account online. Semua settle online. No running over to open. tongue.gif

I don't like giving my slice of Dividends to the broker hence I am totally against buying from Malaysia.
AVFAN
post Dec 13 2017, 11:38 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

like others hv said, using local brokers is very easy, saves u the hassle of running over to the island.

if u buy for long term keep like me, it's really fine; bad for trading - too costly.

a big advantage is when it comes to drip (div reinvestment plans), rights issue... u just tell them u want or not, no need to run to singapore to do.

QUOTE(foofoosasa @ Dec 13 2017, 09:38 AM)
Many of the REITS in sg pay the dividend quarterly basis. It is really turn off for me  hmm.gif imagine you own few REITS  mega_shok.gif your handling fee easily cost SGD 200++ per year shakehead.gif
that is true... if u own 50 reits x 1,000 vs 5 x 10,000.

QUOTE(elea88 @ Dec 5 2017, 02:02 PM)
u sold all capitacomm?

now 1.92 again... what was all time high?

suntec also all time high 2.09.

hmm... alwasy the question... sell then buy what?!! biggrin.gif
donhay
post Dec 13 2017, 02:22 PM

Enthusiast
721 posts

I set up account in Singapore ocbc. was there physically last year december. Went to branch, talk to a jiejie and filll forms, took around 30mins.

Guess the pros and cons, mentioned by the sifus above
foofoosasa
post Dec 13 2017, 02:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,437 posts

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Dec 13 2017, 11:38 AM)
like others hv said, using local brokers is very easy, saves u the hassle of running over to the island.

if u buy for long term keep like me, it's really fine; bad for trading - too costly.

a big advantage is when it comes to drip (div reinvestment plans), rights issue... u just tell them u want or not, no need to run to singapore to do.
that is true... if u own 50 reits x 1,000 vs 5 x 10,000.
u sold all capitacomm?

now 1.92 again... what was all time high?

suntec also all time high 2.09.

hmm... alwasy the question... sell then buy what?!! biggrin.gif
if you hold big amount for each stock and the number probably less than 3 SG Reits, guess it is still ok to pay laugh.gif

imagine if ikan bilis but hold many Reits laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif buy so little yet get charge so high rclxub.gif
Ramjade
post Dec 13 2017, 02:44 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(foofoosasa @ Dec 13 2017, 02:36 PM)
if you hold big amount for each stock and the number probably less than 3 SG Reits, guess it is still ok to pay  laugh.gif

imagine if ikan bilis but hold many Reits  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  buy so little yet get charge so high  rclxub.gif
I am ikan bilis that's why can't afford to give broker any extra money cry.gif
v1n0d
post Dec 13 2017, 03:12 PM

3,197 posts

I have an existing brokerage account with CIMB that I use to trade local stocks. Tried to buy S-REITs a while back, but faced issues with poor exchange rate.

Based on some of the comments here, I'll probably sign up for FSM as a poorfag like me can only afford to buy approximately 1000 units max at a time. Question - do the dividends get converted and credited into a linked local bank account like how local stocks work? And do we need to declare the dividend earned?

This post has been edited by v1n0d: Dec 13 2017, 03:13 PM
Vector88
post Dec 13 2017, 03:25 PM

Enthusiast
806 posts

I calculated before, the dividend handling fees is about 2% of my total dividend received per year. I can live with that for the time being without the hassle to go down to SG ...
Another aspect as I mentioned before, what if you kick the bucket one day ? imagine ur family members need to go through the hassle to settle the account matters in SG.
wongmunkeong
post Dec 13 2017, 03:59 PM

Barista FIRE
Group Icon
Elite
5,572 posts

QUOTE(v1n0d @ Dec 13 2017, 03:12 PM)
I have an existing brokerage account with CIMB that I use to trade local stocks. Tried to buy S-REITs a while back, but faced issues with poor exchange rate.

Based on some of the comments here, I'll probably sign up for FSM as a poorfag like me can only afford to buy approximately 1000 units max at a time. Question - do the dividends get converted and credited into a linked local bank account like how local stocks work? And do we need to declare the dividend earned?
er.. i thought it was minimum 100 units nowadays?
hehe - U look to be a bigshot, 10x flex.gif

Div? no need to declare unless U just want to declare to buff up your passive income (maybe for loan or investor purposes?).

QUOTE(Vector88 @ Dec 13 2017, 03:25 PM)
I calculated before, the dividend handling fees is about 2% of my total dividend received per year. I can live with that for the time being without the hassle to go down to SG ...
Another aspect as I mentioned before, what if you kick the bucket one day ? imagine ur family members need to go through the hassle to settle the account matters in SG.
yup, and to add to that, if one has other stuff in a centralized bank/brokerage..

some youngsters think 1 way, their way, is the BESTEST ma wink.gif
neber mind, those of us that knows the nuances treat him as TCSS until a nugget of truth comes out from the 100 mph mouth/typing laugh.gif

This post has been edited by wongmunkeong: Dec 13 2017, 04:00 PM
AVFAN
post Dec 13 2017, 04:03 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

it is 1.8% for me. ok with that! biggrin.gif

paying that vs the hassle saved with opening accounts, rights issues, traveling and time... one can decide.

This post has been edited by AVFAN: Dec 13 2017, 04:06 PM
v1n0d
post Dec 13 2017, 04:29 PM

3,197 posts

QUOTE(wongmunkeong @ Dec 13 2017, 03:59 PM)
er.. i thought it was minimum 100 units nowadays?
hehe - U look to be a bigshot, 10x  flex.gif

Div? no need to declare unless U just want to declare to buff up your passive income (maybe for loan or investor purposes?).
Not sure if it applies to S-REITs, but I find that through CIMB, buying local stocks at less than 1,000 units takes quite some time to recover the brokerage fees through dividends. These days I've made it a habit to try save up the cost of 10 lots before making a decision on whether or not to buy a stock.

BTW thanks to all the sifus here for the info, I've applied to open an account at FSM. smile.gif
wongmunkeong
post Dec 13 2017, 04:51 PM

Barista FIRE
Group Icon
Elite
5,572 posts

QUOTE(v1n0d @ Dec 13 2017, 04:29 PM)
Not sure if it applies to S-REITs, but I find that through CIMB, buying local stocks at less than 1,000 units takes quite some time to recover the brokerage fees through dividends. These days I've made it a habit to try save up the cost of 10 lots before making a decision on whether or not to buy a stock.

BTW thanks to all the sifus here for the info, I've applied to open an account at FSM. smile.gif
Personally, i do a >=SGD8K value per transaction to hit the minimum transaction cost, thus i don't buy based on units. I've also CIMB iTrade - similar for me with HLeB, it's based on the value transacted, not units wor.

U are on CIMB's iTrade or the other CIMB platform (i can't recall offhand)?
Ramjade
post Dec 13 2017, 05:31 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(v1n0d @ Dec 13 2017, 03:12 PM)

Different broker different rules. For those nominee account, usually Dividends will be credited into your nominee account. You will only get it back in real cash if you decide to withdraw.

2% is bloody high. Close to UT management fees already.
Best ask elea88 on what happen if kick the bucket. How to get money out.

QUOTE(AVFAN @ Dec 13 2017, 04:03 PM)
it is 1.8% for me. ok with that! biggrin.gif

paying that vs the hassle saved with opening accounts, rights issues, traveling and time... one can decide.
Er you know right, we don't even need to travel down to SG?
Open a Maybank SG account from Malaysia (use post)
Open a FSM SG brokerage via online or Maybank KE prefunded via post.

All rights issue settle by the broker if you are nominee account. All you need to do is put in money and inform your broker you want to participate in rights issue.

Travelling down is if you want a CDP account + get best bang for buck for your RM. Otherwise semua boleh settle in Malaysia. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ramjade: Dec 13 2017, 05:32 PM
bearbear
post Dec 13 2017, 05:38 PM

You'll Never Walk Alone!~!~
All Stars
10,058 posts

maybe we should have a FAQ on account opening option, since i join here repeat dont know how many times already
Vector88
post Dec 13 2017, 05:49 PM

Enthusiast
806 posts

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Dec 13 2017, 05:31 PM)
Different broker different rules. For those nominee account,  usually Dividends will be credited into your nominee account.  You will only get it back in real cash if you decide to withdraw.
2% is bloody high. Close to UT management fees already. 
Best ask elea88 on what happen if kick the bucket. How to get money out.
Er you know right,  we don't even need to travel down to SG?
Open a Maybank SG account from Malaysia (use post)
Open a FSM SG brokerage via online or Maybank KE prefunded via post. 

All rights issue settle by the broker if you are nominee account. All you need to do is put in money and inform your broker you want to participate in rights issue.

Travelling down is if you want a CDP account + get best bang for buck for your RM. Otherwise semua boleh settle in Malaysia. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
bro..it is not 2% of the value of the REITs, it is 2% of the DIVIDEND u received...

say the aggregated value of ur REIT is RM150k, assume 6% yield so the DIVIDEND u received in a year is RM9k, 2% is RM180 per year niah...one trip to SG easily cost RM180 liao, excluding the time/effort and cost of your annual leave if u r working...if u work out the % over ur REITs value, it is insignificant @ 0.12% only using example above

This post has been edited by Vector88: Dec 13 2017, 06:02 PM
Ramjade
post Dec 13 2017, 06:05 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
22,199 posts

QUOTE(Vector88 @ Dec 13 2017, 05:49 PM)
bro..it is not 2% of the value of the REITs, it is 2% of the DIVIDEND u received...

say the aggregated value of ur REIT is RM150k, assume 6% yield so the DIVIDEND u received in a year is RM9k, 2% is RM180 per year niah...one trip to SG easily cost RM180 liao, excluding the time/effort and cost of your annual leave if u r working...
True but at current times where other country govt is after your dividends (think those country with withholding taxes), one should at least try to get 100% of the dividend from a country which doesn't try to get a slice of your dividends.

Maybe is just me, having peanuts, so every cents/sens matters for me.
Vector88
post Dec 13 2017, 06:09 PM

Enthusiast
806 posts

QUOTE(Ramjade @ Dec 13 2017, 06:05 PM)
True but at current times where other country govt is after your dividends (think those country with withholding taxes), one should at least try to get 100% of the dividend from a country which doesn't try to get a slice of your dividends.

Maybe is just me, having peanuts, so every cents/sens matters for me.
Lets agree to disagree.. Just piece of advice for newcomer or youngster, dun be penny wise pound foolish, and time and effort cost money also, u will realise that when grow older wink.gif

676 Pages « < 355 356 357 358 359 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0201sec    0.61    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:21 PM