Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Am I wrong to be racist?, Problems with Africans

views

AHERO
post Sep 29 2012, 01:58 AM

0 posts

i meet some good & some bad nigerians. bad need not say here. Good...i tell u they r very caring n helpful
AHERO
post Sep 29 2012, 11:14 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(Noyze @ Sep 29 2012, 06:08 AM)
Yes there are good and bad nigerians, but from my experience working here and living here ( i've been to nigeria when I was 12yrs old and now back again but this time to work). Overall the mentality of the nigerians in the area I live and work is that they see expats as $$ walking down the street. And let me tell you, they are not shy in asking for handouts. Always asking!! its really damn annoying. Those who have lived here will definately know their infamous question " Got anything for me? "

Mind you My office being in a marine OIl n Gas company is near the port and I chose to stay in the staff house near the office. This neighbourhood aint the sweetest spot to live in but its fine and convenient. It's a rough neighbourhood, but after living here for so long one tends to take on the local nature, and not be intimidated. I just speak loud like them to help them understand that being asian doesnt mean u can walk all over me. And when you speak out they fear you and know u cant be harrassed.
huaaa.......u r good in describing them....they talk very loud....maybe only nigerian. but some of my nigerian friends (guys) they talk too soft that i ve to HAH!!! them. n generally east africa n north africa very soft spoken.

indeed, africa is a unique place with colorful cultures n tribes.

btw, i m also in oil & gas

Added on September 29, 2012, 11:23 pm
QUOTE(jlim87 @ Sep 8 2012, 10:15 AM)
Imo, bad people exist in all strata of humanity. It just so happens that due to certain environmental or cultural reasons, certain societies/ethnicities tend to possess certain patterns of traits that would awfully make it seem like everyone else from that society behaves in such a manner.

But the problem is when we stereotype such people and form quick judgements about them before we actually get to know each individual (prejudice) and then treat them unfairly. I know it is difficult trying to keep an open mind and not be skeptical, but I think it is achievable if we take the time to look out for classic signs of such behavioural problems and only then make a judgement of staying or going.

Personally for me, I am rather disinclined to perceive Nigerian/Black men favourably because more often than not, I know what's in their mind when they chat me up - and it disgusts and offends me. Also, I have a close friend who has had nothing but trouble from black men she's dated - on an irrational, personal level, I have developed this fear and disinclination towards having anything to do with black men.

However, am I right to judge every one of them with the lens of bias I developed over my interactions with the typical black man? I would say no. A part of me would still like to believe that there are genuine, honest and overall decent black men out there who essentially want to survive and make a living here. That is why when I meet a black person, I wouldn't treat him or her any differently - although the cynicism is still present, I would treat that person respectfully and politely until he/she shows me that such an endeavour is useless.
i totally agree with u. i was stupid to be cheated few times by them. but i still do ve good ones around. i will not paint all bad, yet i m keeping my wide eyes open with thick glasses. n when i needed help, some of them will respond fast n help . so its not all 100% bad. we ve to see n talk or observe them, some really r helpless after being coned by our local malaysians, how bout that? so i will always study ONE person seperately n not using M16 to shoot all dead

Added on September 29, 2012, 11:28 pm
QUOTE(amish_tm @ Sep 6 2012, 11:24 AM)
Bad people are there in every race. Generalizing that certain race is worse is inappropriate. We hear stories of people being conned by people from various races all the time, so from which statistic have you drawn this conclusion? May be you haven't seen enough of Malaysia.  smile.gif

Africans have a different way of living/culture. They are aggressive, outspoken. But not everyone of them is bad. I have some very good African friends. They live life decently just like any other decent people of other race would live.
true. some even afraid to be around their own ppl. the moment they see nigerians moving in nearby their area, they will move. but some i really pity, like my nigerian friend, he cant even sell this car cos the moment ppl knew the owner is nigerian....NO WAY....so he is stuck now

Added on September 29, 2012, 11:46 pm
QUOTE(huckool @ Sep 9 2012, 08:39 PM)
In what way do I not sound British? I guess the fact that I'm staying in low cost accommodation, studying at a cheap college (or even studying in Malaysia at all) and working professionally for some small income isn't stereotypical British. I should either have my own apartment, or staying closer into KL, with my parents to take care of all my financial needs at a distinguished college (oh dear, I'm racially stereotyping again). I'm in Malaysia because I don't feel I fit in with the British lifestyle, and as most of what I'm doing is self funded, I'm trying to keep everything to a sensible budget.

As for further racial stereotyping, I feel a bit let down by the Chinese here, as the owner and agent for my apartment are favouring the negro who's cheating me. I guess money is worth more than morals to some people as I expect they'll pocket some of the money I'm going to lose. I'm going to lose around RM1000, which is meaningful to some yet not so much to others (it shouldn't be a big deal to me, but I think I'm more hurt that I'm losing out to a negro than anything else).

I guess it's a lose-lose for me being here. I despise the negros, and the locals and government will sell out to them if the price is right. What a sad sad state.
DEar Huckool, could u stop calling them negro. i know u dislike them but calling them negro is too harsh. its how we look at ppl...just like u said chinese, they fav the nigerians. let say if i ve a apartment for rent n nigerians willing to give higher..much much higher...i m willing to rent them. reason 1) i get more money 2) i m not staying there 3) i cant say they r 100% bad ppl like murderer, rapist , drug etc etc. maybe they r just some fXXX talk big, ego n bring chicks back 4) chinese always with the money "issue" first

This post has been edited by AHERO: Sep 29 2012, 11:46 PM

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0962sec    6.32    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd August 2019 - 10:49 PM