Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Am I wrong to be racist?, Problems with Africans

huckool
post Sep 6 2012, 11:01 AM, updated 7y ago

Group: Newbie

Hi guys, I'm a new member here as I heard this is a popular forum for Malaysians, and I'm really in a time of need where I want to confide with other anonymous Malaysians who won't bias favour my opinions out of friendship (basically I'd like some cold, hard honesty).

I'm a 26yo British student, and I have fallen deeply in love with Malaysia, especially the Tamil community (though I also love the Malays and Chinese nationals here too), and try to do whatever community or social work that I can in my spare time, especially helping local kids. I'm also a keen photographer, which earns me some pocket money by doing small events for people.

But lately I've been having problems, and I don't know if God/Karma is punishing me for this, but I've developed a really negative and hostile view of negro Africans, which has severely escalated the past year, and I simply ask, are Africans really such a major problem in this country, or has my personal opinion started from an irritation to a full blown hatred that I can never turn back from?

There are numerous reasons I have a dislike for Africans, especially as its gotten personal for me with several of my close female friends being harassed by Nigerians, who lust for the first woman they can make conversation with. I've also read and heard many stories of Africans being a nuisance in this country, from their aggressive attitude and loud parties, over staying and abusing visas, to being involved in drug smuggling and internet/love scams.

I know there's the term that I shouldn't let one bad apple spoil the bunch, but for me with Africans, I can't find any good fruit at all; I only think of disgust whenever I see a Nigerian, especially one with a local woman (what suprises me most is, with the kind of ego Nigerians have, they'll settle for some of the 'ugliest' locals, which show even clearer signs of love scams). Even my close friend, who's a Muslim Indian divorced mother with five children, is currently 'dating' a Nigerian, but I know in my heart and hers that she wants nothing to do with this man.

I'm even having problems in my apartment with Africans; I made a joint investment on a deposit for an apartment with my Iranian best friend, where we sublet two spare rooms, but he and his Ugandan girlfriend collected most of the deposit money from the subtenants, leaving me over RM900 out of pocket. Now the Iranian has gone back to his country, and the Ugandan wants to kick me out. An African I was forced to trust for being the girlfriend of my best friend, and the corrupt African way is going to screw me over.

All I ask is, my Malaysian friends, are Africans really this bad to you in society? Is the Malaysian government really trying to deal with the mess that it's made by opening its borders to a flood of Africans, who only take money from this country, whether they do legal work or scams, and send all they can back to their countries? Are our SEAsian neighbours suffering just as bad and are they doing anything about it? I've read a mix of things saying that Singapore has become very tight and regulated with allowing Africans, especially Nigerians, into their country (is this true?).

My incurable racist attitude towards Africans seems to create more problems than it solves, but am I exaggerating my ideas of these people or are they really that bad of a social menace that so many other locals are suffering here? Agree or disagree, I'd love to hear your constructive views on this.
Thrust
post Sep 6 2012, 11:14 AM

Power To The People!!!
Group: Senior Member

I wouldn't say all of them are bad... Just maybe 90% of them are.
huckool
post Sep 6 2012, 11:20 AM

Of course, there are no '100%'s with any culture in this world. To be honest, I'm wrong in saying 'Africans' as I've only really had problems with Nigerians and Somalis here (I won't judge Uganda through one person). Also you get 'Negro' Africans and 'Arabic' (North) Africans, and I seem to get along OK with some Ethiopians in my apartment. I wouldn't say that literally every Nigerian in this country and the rest of the world is bad, but with 90% (and that is a realistic figure to me) being so corrupt, you'd be stupid to take a chance with a seemingly nice Nigerian.
eddie368
post Sep 6 2012, 11:20 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

many of them abusing their visas... bro... I can said of all nigen 95% are out to no good reason. Yes they are nuisance to the society here.
Domomo
post Sep 6 2012, 11:23 AM

Getting Started

in my personal opinion, African tend to be a bit of a pest here in Malaysia,they are always associated with "black money"(counterfeit money), drugs ,and being rude.but being a racism for that is not quite ok,because some i repeat some of them are genuine good people. but honestly Malaysian doesn't like them at all
amish_tm
post Sep 6 2012, 11:24 AM

Bad people are there in every race. Generalizing that certain race is worse is inappropriate. We hear stories of people being conned by people from various races all the time, so from which statistic have you drawn this conclusion? May be you haven't seen enough of Malaysia. smile.gif

Africans have a different way of living/culture. They are aggressive, outspoken. But not everyone of them is bad. I have some very good African friends. They live life decently just like any other decent people of other race would live.
funnybone
post Sep 6 2012, 11:27 AM

Enthusiast

Africans are nice ppl but all Afrikaans in Malaysia are (_|_)holes
Follow this rule of thumb brows.gif
ted.mosby
post Sep 6 2012, 11:31 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(amish_tm @ Sep 6 2012, 12:24 PM)
Bad people are there in every race. Generalizing that certain race is worse is inappropriate. We hear stories of people being conned by people from various races all the time, so from which statistic have you drawn this conclusion? May be you haven't seen enough of Malaysia.  smile.gif

Africans have a different way of living/culture. They are aggressive, outspoken. But not everyone of them is bad. I have some very good African friends. They live life decently just like any other decent people of other race would live.
agreed. there are a lot of bad people in every race, but the way of most or whatever percent of Africans in Malaysia is quite obvious and thats why we certainly hate them. they are rough and aggresive, thats the way of their life back in their country. they will do anything to survive, either the good or the bad way. i have a somalian friend in my class back in college, he is very kind, soft spoken and hardworking. even though there a lots of bad people out there, i think we should not judge them by their race or skin colour.
jesseclane
post Sep 6 2012, 11:35 AM

Getting Started

Sadly to said, there are less or none action taken to those Africans, especially Nigerians.
huckool
post Sep 6 2012, 11:37 AM

QUOTE(amish_tm @ Sep 6 2012, 11:24 AM)
Bad people are there in every race. Generalizing that certain race is worse is inappropriate. We hear stories of people being conned by people from various races all the time, so from which statistic have you drawn this conclusion? May be you haven't seen enough of Malaysia.  smile.gif

Of course, there is no pure race in this world, though some do tend to be better or worse than others. I don't draw this down to just the crimes that they commit, as you said, Africans are aggressive and outspoken, which is quite opposite to the 'average' Malaysian, who I found usually keep quiet and to themselves (except on the roads).

I've moved to Malaysia because of Malaysians, if I had a love for Africa and its people I would have moved somewhere there. I'm not against racial integration as I am White British, but it's sad that so many are migrating for the wrong reasons and are disrespecting their hosts like this. If someone misbehaves in your house, you don't let them stay there, but I'm wondering if some corrupt politic motive or deal is telling immigration to sell out to these people.
Rayna90
post Sep 6 2012, 11:46 AM

I HATE THEM TOO... they always see girl one kind one.. got a time where this stupid black guy is in the lift with me and he try to ask my phone number etc.. euuuwwww... pls block their passport all to come malaysia.. they are nothing good for us.. always bring drugs and spoil our youngster..
chocolatepallette
post Sep 6 2012, 11:56 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(huckool @ Sep 6 2012, 11:37 AM)
Of course, there is no pure race in this world, though some do tend to be better or worse than others. I don't draw this down to just the crimes that they commit, as you said, Africans are aggressive and outspoken, which is quite opposite to the 'average' Malaysian, who I found usually keep quiet and to themselves (except on the roads).

I've moved to Malaysia because of Malaysians, if I had a love for Africa and its people I would have moved somewhere there. I'm not against racial integration as I am White British, but it's sad that so many are migrating for the wrong reasons and are disrespecting their hosts like this. If someone misbehaves in your house, you don't let them stay there, but I'm wondering if some corrupt politic motive or deal is telling immigration to sell out to these people.
Hi mate, do they harass you or you bump into trouble with them lately? They did harass me once because I just politely tell them my hubby is waiting for me blush.gif

The problem with the Malaysian goverment is right now they are in a mess too, we need to clean them out before they help us to clean the country's social issues blush.gif
azarimy
post Sep 6 2012, 12:07 PM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

i have one nigerian friend, who did his PhD in one of the universities in KL, and now are attached to one as a lecturer. his is big, loud and extremely outspoken. by scale of 1-10, he's like 16. he can be annoying as it's very hard to argue with somebody whose voice is like a loudspeaker at woodstock.

but deep down, he's a gentle person, easily moved by his students (owh he takes pity on them fairly quickly) and is the most helpful guy in the world. he's also deeply religious (muslim), and sticks to syariah and even involved in the local religious groups. and yes, he has 2 wives in nigeria, and 2 malay wives here.

i asked him why he's here. and his answer was very simple: he wanted to escape from his home country. he would detach himself from the rest of nigerian community because of the whole stigma and the bad things they do. he knows the nigerian culture enough that he didnt wanna be a part of it. at first he planned to just do his PhD and move to another country, possibly europe. but then he fell in love with malaysia and decided to stay.

staying has a pro and con. i'm sure his 3rd wife had something to do with it. the 4th just seals the deal. he understood the whole deal about his nigerian image, but its not something he could change. but he felt that the reception is still better here, as people dont always openly express their generalized distaste over a certain race.

most of the time, malaysians prefer to just shut it, roll with it until they cant take it anymore. and even so, malaysians arent that very confrontational. if they cant take it, high chance that they'll move and stay away from nigerians or other africans in general. of course, this is one of the reason why we have this problem in the first place.

in other countries, once it hits the level we have now in malaysia, people will start to take action against everyone in general. which i think is wrong. the clearest distinction about racism is generalization. when u generalize one person's wrong doing to represent the whole race, that's when shit heats up. add that to racial stereotyping, u get urself a time bomb.

would i support the move to round them up, send them home and block them forever? clearly no.

but i sure as hell would like some action to clean the streets up a bit. make sure they're here for legal reasons. limit them to study visa only or stuff like that.
mfak0511
post Sep 6 2012, 12:35 PM

please make a short version
brightjoey
post Sep 6 2012, 02:59 PM

Getting Started

Cheer up mate, I can definitely empathize with you. But you gotta understand their background and culture. Nigeria isn't exactly your ideal version of a lovely place. They steal, cheat, kill to survive, even in their family, at this modern age! The culture itself is deeply rooted with superstitions and corruptions, to the point where even the government fear for their safety by their own people.

Studying in the UK at Stafford, I know a Nigerian friend who is the most hardworking mother I've ever met. She would study all day, before returning her to her two young children. She was kind, hardworking and has strong christian values, and she graduated with first class with honours. I have no doubt her children will grow up as fine people.

So don't hate them, by all means try to help them. They are lost without family values, most of them have some sort of history of family abuse.

huckool
post Sep 6 2012, 05:35 PM

QUOTE(chocolatepallette @ Sep 6 2012, 11:56 AM)
Hi mate, do they harass you or you bump into trouble with them lately? They did harass me once because I just politely tell them my hubby is waiting for me blush.gif

The problem with the Malaysian goverment is right now they are in a mess too, we need to clean them out before they help us to clean the country's social issues blush.gif
I try to avoid Nigerians as much as possible. There are many at my college (KLMU) but I just completely blank them as I have no idea what it could lead to (and likely it won't be anything good); fortunately I'm male so I don't get the same level of harassment you poor local women have to put up with.

Is it true that Singapore is trying to curb this problem? They're able to bring themselves to do the right thing as they know the cost of keeping them in their country far outweighs the cost of letting them in.
QUOTE(brightjoey @ Sep 6 2012, 02:59 PM)
Cheer up mate, I can definitely empathize with you. But you gotta understand their background and culture. Nigeria isn't exactly your ideal version of a lovely place. They steal, cheat, kill to survive, even in their family, at this modern age! The culture itself is deeply rooted with superstitions and corruptions, to the point where even the government fear for their safety by their own people.

Studying in the UK at Stafford, I know a Nigerian friend who is the most hardworking mother I've ever met. She would study all day, before returning her to her two young children. She was kind, hardworking and has strong christian values, and she graduated with first class with honours. I have no doubt her children will grow up as fine people.

So don't hate them, by all means try to help them. They are lost without family values, most of them have some sort of history of family abuse.
I understand your point. The right thing to do when you have a fresh opportunity is to make the most of it, but sadly Africans are so poorly raised that they know nothing of modesty or behaving themselves, but why should we be like an adult orphanage for the socially abused?

I've known a couple of respectable Nigerians in UK, even if a little arrogance still lingers with them, but still a lot of native Africans that are fresh migrants to UK bring their bad attitude as well. Those from Zambia and Zimbabwe (Southern Africa) are not like this, and a month I spent in Namibia wasn't so bad.

I do try to help the socially disadvantaged, as I help a lot of the poor Tamil families (and I know Indians can also be less favourable to some) because I understand their culture better, and they show a lot more integrity, respect and genuine success than Africans do.
e36.hartge
post Sep 6 2012, 07:02 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(brightjoey @ Sep 6 2012, 02:59 PM)

thousands of bad nigerian creating serius problems here,& your story only about 1 person

so its make me confident that 95% if nigerian i found here @malaysia are bad ones i believe

Added on September 6, 2012, 7:06 pmso generally nigerian are pest,unless they can show some other genuine useful capability that can benefit people around them/not fishy attitude then i will not discrimate the person

This post has been edited by e36.hartge: Sep 6 2012, 07:07 PM
huckool
post Sep 6 2012, 08:43 PM

Does anyone know what other countries are doing about the Nigerian menace? I heard that Singapore has put tighter regulations on Nigerians entering, but is there any truth to that? What about Thailand, Philippines and other SEAsian countries? I know my native country of UK also has its problems, especially with Nigerians abusing the EU spouse visa laws, where marrying an East European girl allows you to stay in UK.
Pepper
post Sep 6 2012, 09:08 PM

Casual

you have problems with their culture, not with their blood. therefore you're not a racist but you have somethign against their cultures.
Noyze
post Sep 6 2012, 09:41 PM

Auratus Nottiness

yes nigerians area nuinsance in malaysia an ALSO to their own country. I know i WORK in nigeria, lagos to be exact. and maaaannn.. these ppl are so bloody annoying and dumb and loud! they act like they know stuff but maaan they know jack!!

Just to get a job done u have to repeat at least 10 times! lol. our company recently sacked the people from 3 depts cos they were so lazy! and didnt get things done. all of them were nigerians.
dkk
post Sep 7 2012, 12:15 AM

10k Club
Group Icon

Is this thread a place for all the racist people here to run up their flag?
alanyuppie
post Sep 7 2012, 09:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(azarimy @ Sep 6 2012, 01:07 PM)

most of the time, malaysians prefer to just shut it, roll with it until they cant take it anymore. and even so, malaysians arent that very confrontational. if they cant take it, high chance that they'll move and stay away from nigerians or other africans in general. of course, this is one of the reason why we have this problem in the first place.
Malaysian only dare to be confrontationals when in packs (may it be from same race/religion/ lepak gang) , and this is when loudest (collective) voice are heard .

rayng18
post Sep 7 2012, 12:26 PM

Regular

Whether they are good/bad I just do not want to have any dealings with them
heavenly91
post Sep 8 2012, 02:07 AM

Follow One Course Until Successful.

I don't like them to be here actually.
But our government allowing them to enter because they are corrupt and greedy.
Don't worry bro.

Our next election will make a change for this country!
jlim87
post Sep 8 2012, 10:15 AM

Getting Started

Imo, bad people exist in all strata of humanity. It just so happens that due to certain environmental or cultural reasons, certain societies/ethnicities tend to possess certain patterns of traits that would awfully make it seem like everyone else from that society behaves in such a manner.

But the problem is when we stereotype such people and form quick judgements about them before we actually get to know each individual (prejudice) and then treat them unfairly. I know it is difficult trying to keep an open mind and not be skeptical, but I think it is achievable if we take the time to look out for classic signs of such behavioural problems and only then make a judgement of staying or going.

Personally for me, I am rather disinclined to perceive Nigerian/Black men favourably because more often than not, I know what's in their mind when they chat me up - and it disgusts and offends me. Also, I have a close friend who has had nothing but trouble from black men she's dated - on an irrational, personal level, I have developed this fear and disinclination towards having anything to do with black men.

However, am I right to judge every one of them with the lens of bias I developed over my interactions with the typical black man? I would say no. A part of me would still like to believe that there are genuine, honest and overall decent black men out there who essentially want to survive and make a living here. That is why when I meet a black person, I wouldn't treat him or her any differently - although the cynicism is still present, I would treat that person respectfully and politely until he/she shows me that such an endeavour is useless.

This post has been edited by jlim87: Sep 8 2012, 10:18 AM
squarepilot
post Sep 8 2012, 12:32 PM

Getting Started

they are less civilized. however i met only one who is kind and being polite

why i say so? because i'm staying in an area where 40% are Africans, they are rude, speak loudly and dont even know how to use deodorant

for the illegal black stuff they are doing, its definitely happening in my area now. they usually take the highest floor and every time i can see the lift appears to be at highest level whenever i saw an African
LittleGhost
post Sep 9 2012, 11:55 AM

臭小鬼

OP, you don't sound like a british.

Are you trying to pull our legs?

ticke
post Sep 9 2012, 06:25 PM

****E***y*u***i***@**

QUOTE(alanyuppie @ Sep 7 2012, 09:18 AM)
Malaysian only dare to be confrontationals when in packs (may it be from same race/religion/ lepak gang) , and this is when loudest (collective) voice are heard .
sad but true. i've seen very few individuals that actually does that.
huckool
post Sep 9 2012, 08:39 PM

QUOTE(LittleGhost @ Sep 9 2012, 11:55 AM)

In what way do I not sound British? I guess the fact that I'm staying in low cost accommodation, studying at a cheap college (or even studying in Malaysia at all) and working professionally for some small income isn't stereotypical British. I should either have my own apartment, or staying closer into KL, with my parents to take care of all my financial needs at a distinguished college (oh dear, I'm racially stereotyping again). I'm in Malaysia because I don't feel I fit in with the British lifestyle, and as most of what I'm doing is self funded, I'm trying to keep everything to a sensible budget.

As for further racial stereotyping, I feel a bit let down by the Chinese here, as the owner and agent for my apartment are favouring the negro who's cheating me. I guess money is worth more than morals to some people as I expect they'll pocket some of the money I'm going to lose. I'm going to lose around RM1000, which is meaningful to some yet not so much to others (it shouldn't be a big deal to me, but I think I'm more hurt that I'm losing out to a negro than anything else).

I guess it's a lose-lose for me being here. I despise the negros, and the locals and government will sell out to them if the price is right. What a sad sad state.
dkk
post Sep 9 2012, 10:56 PM

10k Club
Group Icon

QUOTE(huckool @ Sep 9 2012, 08:39 PM)
In what way do I not sound British? I guess the fact that I'm staying in low cost accommodation, studying at a cheap college (or even studying in Malaysia at all) and working professionally for some small income isn't stereotypical British. I should either have my own apartment, or staying closer into KL, with my parents to take care of all my financial needs at a distinguished college (oh dear, I'm racially stereotyping again). I'm in Malaysia because I don't feel I fit in with the British lifestyle, and as most of what I'm doing is self funded, I'm trying to keep everything to a sensible budget.

As for further racial stereotyping, I feel a bit let down by the Chinese here, as the owner and agent for my apartment are favouring the negro who's cheating me. I guess money is worth more than morals to some people as I expect they'll pocket some of the money I'm going to lose. I'm going to lose around RM1000, which is meaningful to some yet not so much to others (it shouldn't be a big deal to me, but I think I'm more hurt that I'm losing out to a negro than anything else).
That's just a wild accusation without any basis in fact. There's no reason for you to say that. If the girlfriend cheated you, what reason is there for her to give some of that money to the landlord. Wouldn't she prefer to keep all of it?

I guess it's a lose-lose for me being here. I despise the negros, and the locals and government will sell out to them if the price is right. What a sad sad state.
And I despise racist people, whether they are British, Malaysian, or any other nationality. Please don't spread your hatred here. We already have more than enough of it.
<Ultraman>
post Sep 9 2012, 10:56 PM

Getting Started

All I ask is, my Malaysian friends, are Africans really this bad to you in society?

Your own story has pretty much answered this question.

About the laws allowing them to enter, sigh, I wish there are stricker laws pertaining to this matter. Now they just sign up with local college and they can be student. really facepalm.
dkk
post Sep 9 2012, 10:58 PM

10k Club
Group Icon

Remember Niemöller's quote.. If you guys go around spreading xenophobia, when they're done with the negros, bangladeshis, and indonesians, who do you think they're going to turn on next?
lycaphim
post Sep 10 2012, 09:00 AM

Getting Started

There are good Africans and bad Africans. I know many of the former and met many of the latter. As it is, a few bad apples spoils the whole batch, especially for a foreigner (we have many bad misbehaving Indians and Chinese and Malays here, but to taint the whole community is called "racism" here and would get you in trouble - and a ban in LYN if you make your displeasure known).

This is not just restricted to Africans. A landlord shared his hassles with his Iranian tenants who would thrash the whole place with their shisha parties.

And then there are the Arabs - my cousin who works in a hotel will share horror stories when they descend.

So there are numerous misbehaving nationalities here in Malaysia. I chalk it to bad manners from where they were brought up from. Blame their parents or blame their culture. But don't judge until you've seen the person and their actions.
akidos
post Sep 10 2012, 09:13 AM

Casual

I honestly dislike them too ...

They ruin the country by bringing in tonnes of drugs and their major activity of raping girls in malaysia.
raburii
post Sep 10 2012, 10:59 AM

I'm also a British student too but I personally never had a problem with Africans. All the Africans I've met are really friendly, laid-back and well mannered people, also hard working. My friend's boyfriend is African and he's one of the most hard working people I know. He's just finished college and going into University soon, he's moved into a flat with his girlfriend and providing income for the both of them to live with two jobs.

I don't think it's wrong to be racist, it's your own decision whether you dislike them or not. Maybe the way you think is cos of the way you've been brought up as well with all the experiences you've had with African people? And maybe because of your age? Seeing as I'm younger than you, younger generations seem to be more accepting and understanding when it comes to things like racism, especially within the UK. Older people tend to see people with darker skin to just cause trouble (which can be true, but nowadays, it's usually White people. (the ones who try to be "gangster" and "solid" by mugging people/shops, drugs and smoking under the age of 18)). I think it's also being influenced by your peers, where and how you've been brought up (like social class and education). Remember the London riots? People wouldn't stop commenting on how the riots were filled with other races, mostly Africans and Muslims. People forget about that one African woman who spoke up about the riots in the streets. She commented on how it was disgusting how they were all acting and they shouldn't be getting involved in something that doesn't concern them just because it was an opportunity for havoc. There's always the good and the bad within races and nationalities. Y'know that certain areas and places within London are super rough and filled with gangs. This goes with every single city and country (even Malaysia).

TL;DR?
it's not always Africans who act loud, obnoxious and doing bad things like drugs, abusing visas, bad attitude etc. It's other races and nationalities too. Personally don't think you should hate the whole race just cause of a few people based on their actions towards you. But up to you!
Ibrahimovic
post Sep 10 2012, 09:58 PM

*HolyHunk*

Just gonna say, stay away from that particular area if you find the person living there to be disruptive. Sorry for your loss OP.
deadboy 164
post Sep 11 2012, 10:06 AM

On my way

Mate. It is the PERSON that you need to focus on.
U need to focus on matter or person, rather than race and color.
Apple Fanboy
post Sep 11 2012, 02:22 PM

Getting Started

Indians also harass girls what.

All the time.

AHERO
post Sep 29 2012, 01:58 AM

i meet some good & some bad nigerians. bad need not say here. Good...i tell u they r very caring n helpful
Noyze
post Sep 29 2012, 06:08 AM

Auratus Nottiness

Yes there are good and bad nigerians, but from my experience working here and living here ( i've been to nigeria when I was 12yrs old and now back again but this time to work). Overall the mentality of the nigerians in the area I live and work is that they see expats as $$ walking down the street. And let me tell you, they are not shy in asking for handouts. Always asking!! its really damn annoying. Those who have lived here will definately know their infamous question " Got anything for me? "

Mind you My office being in a marine OIl n Gas company is near the port and I chose to stay in the staff house near the office. This neighbourhood aint the sweetest spot to live in but its fine and convenient. It's a rough neighbourhood, but after living here for so long one tends to take on the local nature, and not be intimidated. I just speak loud like them to help them understand that being asian doesnt mean u can walk all over me. And when you speak out they fear you and know u cant be harrassed.

AHERO
post Sep 29 2012, 11:14 PM

QUOTE(Noyze @ Sep 29 2012, 06:08 AM)
Yes there are good and bad nigerians, but from my experience working here and living here ( i've been to nigeria when I was 12yrs old and now back again but this time to work). Overall the mentality of the nigerians in the area I live and work is that they see expats as $$ walking down the street. And let me tell you, they are not shy in asking for handouts. Always asking!! its really damn annoying. Those who have lived here will definately know their infamous question " Got anything for me? "

Mind you My office being in a marine OIl n Gas company is near the port and I chose to stay in the staff house near the office. This neighbourhood aint the sweetest spot to live in but its fine and convenient. It's a rough neighbourhood, but after living here for so long one tends to take on the local nature, and not be intimidated. I just speak loud like them to help them understand that being asian doesnt mean u can walk all over me. And when you speak out they fear you and know u cant be harrassed.
huaaa.......u r good in describing them....they talk very loud....maybe only nigerian. but some of my nigerian friends (guys) they talk too soft that i ve to HAH!!! them. n generally east africa n north africa very soft spoken.

indeed, africa is a unique place with colorful cultures n tribes.

btw, i m also in oil & gas

Added on September 29, 2012, 11:23 pm
QUOTE(jlim87 @ Sep 8 2012, 10:15 AM)
Imo, bad people exist in all strata of humanity. It just so happens that due to certain environmental or cultural reasons, certain societies/ethnicities tend to possess certain patterns of traits that would awfully make it seem like everyone else from that society behaves in such a manner.

But the problem is when we stereotype such people and form quick judgements about them before we actually get to know each individual (prejudice) and then treat them unfairly. I know it is difficult trying to keep an open mind and not be skeptical, but I think it is achievable if we take the time to look out for classic signs of such behavioural problems and only then make a judgement of staying or going.

Personally for me, I am rather disinclined to perceive Nigerian/Black men favourably because more often than not, I know what's in their mind when they chat me up - and it disgusts and offends me. Also, I have a close friend who has had nothing but trouble from black men she's dated - on an irrational, personal level, I have developed this fear and disinclination towards having anything to do with black men.

However, am I right to judge every one of them with the lens of bias I developed over my interactions with the typical black man? I would say no. A part of me would still like to believe that there are genuine, honest and overall decent black men out there who essentially want to survive and make a living here. That is why when I meet a black person, I wouldn't treat him or her any differently - although the cynicism is still present, I would treat that person respectfully and politely until he/she shows me that such an endeavour is useless.
i totally agree with u. i was stupid to be cheated few times by them. but i still do ve good ones around. i will not paint all bad, yet i m keeping my wide eyes open with thick glasses. n when i needed help, some of them will respond fast n help . so its not all 100% bad. we ve to see n talk or observe them, some really r helpless after being coned by our local malaysians, how bout that? so i will always study ONE person seperately n not using M16 to shoot all dead

Added on September 29, 2012, 11:28 pm
QUOTE(amish_tm @ Sep 6 2012, 11:24 AM)

true. some even afraid to be around their own ppl. the moment they see nigerians moving in nearby their area, they will move. but some i really pity, like my nigerian friend, he cant even sell this car cos the moment ppl knew the owner is nigerian....NO WAY....so he is stuck now

Added on September 29, 2012, 11:46 pm
QUOTE(huckool @ Sep 9 2012, 08:39 PM)

DEar Huckool, could u stop calling them negro. i know u dislike them but calling them negro is too harsh. its how we look at ppl...just like u said chinese, they fav the nigerians. let say if i ve a apartment for rent n nigerians willing to give higher..much much higher...i m willing to rent them. reason 1) i get more money 2) i m not staying there 3) i cant say they r 100% bad ppl like murderer, rapist , drug etc etc. maybe they r just some fXXX talk big, ego n bring chicks back 4) chinese always with the money "issue" first

This post has been edited by AHERO: Sep 29 2012, 11:46 PM
Cicero
post Sep 30 2012, 09:24 AM

I'd say that there is no single justifiable reason for racism.
Noyze
post Sep 30 2012, 04:48 PM

Auratus Nottiness

AHERO,

yeah in every countr / race there are several types of people. I'm speaking in general of course, just like how the rest of the world see malaysians and describe us as polite and hospitable people. But we know not all of us are.

Same goes to the nigerians, while some may protect them, and some may dislike them, but the general idea is that the nigerians as a whole are a very loud bunch and just plain lazy. Tha's all.

Come live here then u'll see what i see mate. I doknow some nice nigerian as well, one rapper who eventualy became a good friend here is totally awesome and real. Its sad though to see him not make a big break cs he is really good here and is planning to head overto malaysia to see what he can do asa DJ / freestyle rapper. I will help him as I have relatives in the music industry when he goes to malaysia.

My cook here and even my driver worries about me and does not like me going out alone for fear of being hustled and kidnapped. ( yes kidnapping is a reality - about 8 guys from my company alone have been kidnapped over the past 5 or 6 yrs) but i still aint afraid, cos i've gotten used to it and have made friends here. i even know a few militants who are awesome dudes!

In the end its how one deals with other people from other places. And the way we know how to deal with it is thru experience and our contact with other races.

Like AHERO, who works in oil n gas well, we have the opportunity to travel and work and live in various parts of the world, ussally in harsh un-hospitable areas. Like alaska, sudan, khazakhastan, iraq, etc. and now in the cities mind you, we would be living in areas where mankind has not developed any townships yet.

So its how we deal with people that makes the difference.

AHERO, which dept? wana work in nigeria? got vacancy here =)
CargoCult
post Sep 30 2012, 05:14 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(LittleGhost @ Sep 9 2012, 11:55 AM)

I felt this after the first few paragraphs. I'm calling shenanigans
11c
post Sep 30 2012, 09:24 PM

Getting Started

We need to reach out for them

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0860sec    6.65    5 queries    GZIP Disabled