Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travelling with baby, What to prepare and look out for?

views

quebix
post Oct 16 2019, 02:53 PM

Gelato Director
1,180 posts

QUOTE(nyumnyum2k @ Oct 16 2019, 09:46 AM)
travel by car . have not travel by flight yet but plan next 2 month

duration : 2--4 hours in car

thanks
during baby stages, my son kinda weird.

he knows when i stop the car. then he starts crying or become uneasy.

even if we stop at traffic light.

those days, traffic jam is my worst nightmare
kohchuup
post Oct 16 2019, 03:12 PM

Getting Started
192 posts

QUOTE(nyumnyum2k @ Oct 16 2019, 09:46 AM)
travel by car . have not travel by flight yet but plan next 2 month

duration : 2--4 hours in car

thanks
by car, just let him sit in a child seat, bb and toddler easy to fall asleep while travelling on a car, we travel to pg from kl (he is around 7 mo) stop for toilet and carry him out from the seat for 15-20mins then continue our journey, (wife breast feed every 2-3 hours)

will travel by car around 2 hours and flight for 2 hours 45 mins and another hour travelling every 2-3 months once from my son 4 mo till now 2 y 9mo, also
the same, seat in a car seat, usually he will sleep, even if he's awake, he will just look out the window. flying before he is 1yo, easier cause usually sleep the entire flight or bf, after 1 yo a little bit harder cause his ears started to develop (dr told us about this tho so i m not sure cause i didnt go and find out) and only now he can feel the pressure, so before take off and almost landing will let him bf.
now 2 y 9mo harder cause seldom sleep, only sleep in the car, during flight wont want to sleep n play with things and will let him to watch his cartoons.

will bring along a few spare diapers, prepare some fruits, will feed him flight meal, 2 sets of extra clothing, his water bottle, socks n etc...

that's it...

all the best ya
SUSBillCollector
post Oct 17 2019, 02:08 AM

Enthusiast
818 posts

QUOTE(quebix @ Oct 16 2019, 02:53 PM)
during baby stages, my son kinda weird.

he knows when i stop the car. then he starts crying or become uneasy.

even if we stop at traffic light.

those days, traffic jam is my worst nightmare
Both of mine were that way too.

Gibs Gab P
post Oct 22 2019, 04:11 PM

Probation
4 posts

Well, from my personal experience and opinion, I'd avoid travelling while baby is still so small. With my kid I've waited for him to reach 1 year old for his first trip to Turkey. I was happy as I didn't need to worry much and I've already known my baby's needs. Better one smooth family vacation rather than fast "here and now" type of travel.
SUStyrionlannister10
post Nov 19 2019, 09:00 AM

43 posts

For me it's fine. I brought my daughter of 3 months to genting . Just make sure got enough clothe so the baby doesn't get cold
budang
post Nov 29 2019, 09:33 AM

Enthusiast
960 posts

Hello guys, first time parent here.

Baby born here in Malaysia and never experienced cold weather. Is it ok to travel to cold country when baby is just ~16 weeks old? It'll be a 4:30 hour flight and temperature will be about 7-18 on average, could be lower than 7 degree celcius but rarely. Planning for a 9 days trip. Any parents here done that before? If yes what are the precautions you do? Did your baby adapt well to the weather or did he/she react terribly to the weather?

Worried our baby will catch cold and fall sick due to inhaling cold air.
SUSBillCollector
post Dec 2 2019, 04:44 PM

Enthusiast
818 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Nov 29 2019, 09:33 AM)
Hello guys, first time parent here.

Baby born here in Malaysia and never experienced cold weather. Is it ok to travel to cold country when baby is just ~16 weeks old? It'll be a 4:30 hour flight and temperature will be about 7-18 on average, could be lower than 7 degree celcius but rarely. Planning for a 9 days trip. Any parents here done that before? If yes what are the precautions you do? Did your baby adapt well to the weather or did he/she react terribly to the weather?

Worried our baby will catch cold and fall sick due to inhaling cold air.
I bought my daughter to Britain when she was 5 months old and temperature was around that as it was late autumn.

Does your baby sleep in an air conditioned room?

Stuff to watch out for?

-keep your baby layered.
-Protect from strong winds as it is the windchill that is most harmful.
-Keep your baby well moisturized as the air is dry and damaging to their skin.
-If in MY the feed is every 3 hours, try feeding every 2 hours instead as the cold will cause them to go hungry a bit sooner.
budang
post Dec 2 2019, 09:56 PM

Enthusiast
960 posts

QUOTE(BillCollector @ Dec 2 2019, 04:44 PM)
I bought my daughter to Britain when she was 5 months old and temperature was around that as it was late autumn.

Does your baby sleep in an air conditioned room?

Stuff to watch out for?

-keep your baby layered.
-Protect from strong winds as it is the windchill that is most harmful.
-Keep your baby well moisturized as the air is dry and damaging to their skin.
-If in MY the feed is every 3 hours, try feeding every 2 hours instead as the cold will cause them to go hungry a bit sooner.
Yup she sleeps in air conditioned room almost 24 hours a day.

Anything to watch out during flight?
SUSBillCollector
post Dec 2 2019, 11:35 PM

Enthusiast
818 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Dec 2 2019, 09:56 PM)
Yup she sleeps in air conditioned room almost 24 hours a day.

Anything to watch out during flight?
On flight :-

1) Try to time a breastfeed (direct latch if possible) when the aircraft taxis for take off, this will minimize the pressure on the ears. This is the absolute most important step to take and will make a difference between a non-stop crying baby vs a baby that sleeps through much of the flight.

2) Baby has any blocked nose issues?? Clear it before boarding the flight with some nose drops and a nasal aspirator. Otherwise the breast feed at take off will be useless. Supposedly a blocked nose will make the pressure at the ears even more painful.

3) The aisle of the plane is your friend..... keep pacing the aisle if your baby is the type that cannot be stationary for too long.

4) A breast feed at time of descending will help a lot also as per #1.

5) Download a video or two of a nursery rhyme or the infamous Baby Shark song. It will help when all else fails.

budang
post Dec 3 2019, 03:50 PM

Enthusiast
960 posts

QUOTE(BillCollector @ Dec 2 2019, 11:35 PM)
On flight :-

1) Try to time a breastfeed (direct latch if possible) when the aircraft taxis for take off, this will minimize the pressure on the ears. This is the absolute most important step to take and will make a difference between a non-stop crying baby vs a baby that sleeps through much of the flight.

2) Baby has any blocked nose issues?? Clear it before boarding the flight with some nose drops and a nasal aspirator. Otherwise the breast feed at take off will be useless. Supposedly a blocked nose will make the pressure at the ears even more painful.

3) The aisle of the plane is your friend..... keep pacing the aisle if your baby is the type that cannot be stationary for too long.

4) A breast feed at time of descending will help a lot also as per #1.

5) Download a video or two of a nursery rhyme or the infamous Baby Shark song. It will help when all else fails.
Thank you for your advise, appreciate it! notworthy.gif
SUSBillCollector
post Dec 3 2019, 03:52 PM

Enthusiast
818 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Dec 3 2019, 03:50 PM)
Thank you for your advise, appreciate it!  notworthy.gif
You're welcome.

I should also have added, both the parents should keep a very cool head.

Else....................... the baby will be fine you 2 won't be when you get off the flight smile.gif
budang
post Dec 4 2019, 10:22 AM

Enthusiast
960 posts

QUOTE(BillCollector @ Dec 3 2019, 03:52 PM)
You're welcome.

I should also have added, both the parents should keep a very cool head.

Else....................... the baby will be fine  you 2 won't be when you get off the flight smile.gif
Haha will take your advise. I'm sure you're an experienced one from the advises you gave wink.gif

Fingers crossed hoping all will be fine and she will adapt to travelling
Queen_AQ
post Dec 4 2019, 11:01 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

Depend on the child when you travel. Some children more susah. If i travel by car usually i just ask my parents to come also then got extra help
SUSBillCollector
post Dec 6 2019, 05:43 PM

Enthusiast
818 posts

QUOTE(budang @ Dec 4 2019, 10:22 AM)
Haha will take your advise. I'm sure you're an experienced one from the advises you gave  wink.gif

Fingers crossed hoping all will be fine and she will adapt to travelling
Another important thing I forgot to mention, check if the airlines has a bassinet for your baby.

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0144sec    0.43    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:38 PM