Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> SVS Owners Thread V3.0, The Bass Authority of Home Theater (Home Theatre)

views

paskal
post Aug 21 2012, 09:50 AM

the nerd you can never be
2,769 posts

QUOTE(htkaki @ Aug 11 2012, 12:41 AM)
It can dig to a low 16Hz. It can do 120dB. Stunningly beautiful cabinet. Truly Exquisite Sub.
if anyone is willing to DIY, you could probably reach similar performance with about RM5k.

the UXL18 are now in stock for USD$615 a piece (shipped). put them in a heavily braced sealed cabinet and you'll get over 120dB for anything over 38Hz. 16hz-100hz performance average at 118db across the range.

ricci did an extensive measurement on the driver at data-bass.com.
paskal
post Aug 22 2012, 06:41 PM

2,769 posts

QUOTE(htkaki @ Aug 21 2012, 07:35 PM)
Impressive but I believe that the sound quality could be different smile.gif . The million dollar question would be 'By how much' since it costs a whopping EU30k for the Kharma sub rclxub.gif  shocking.gif  .

Still, I will stick back to my own subs even I have such moolah to splurge on this premium sub  sweat.gif
definitely. the perception of sound quality is different from person to person. measurements and numbers could only tell so much. notnyt of avsforum which had 6 (IINM) of the uxl18 in sealed enclosure upgraded tried 12 of elemental design's 13" 13Av.2 driver and say that them 13 inchers goes deeper and felt more solid compared to his previous sextet uxl18.

the 13Av.2 didn't measure as good as the uxl18 in tests.
paskal
post Sep 16 2012, 08:49 PM

2,769 posts

QUOTE(klimal @ Sep 16 2012, 03:16 PM)
A father and son team getting both my PC12NSD. The son also good at poison ! hehehee thumbup.gif
Now only left with F12. Waiting for my Ultra13 rclxms.gif
to speed things up once you get them can try this. originally posted in an off-topic thread over at avsforum DIY section.
QUOTE(imagic)
For some time I've used this loop to speed the break-in of my subs. It is two different bass notes overlapping, in the very lowest octaves. The advantage is that it works out your speakers without tiring out your amp the way sine waves do. It's nauseating so I run it when I'm out of the house. It's also a fine way to check for air leaks and rattles and otherwise study the performance of your drivers with an ultra low, complex rumble. Two files, depending on your playback capabilities:
subwoofer break-in loop 24/96: https://soundcloud.com/psychedelicious/sub-break-in/download
subwoofer break-in loop 16/44: https://soundcloud.com/psychedelicious/sub-break-in/download

currently the best way to accelerate breaking-in the drivers that i've came across. start with a low gain and turn the volume up until the ceiling can't take it. laugh.gif
it won't stress the amps as much as sine sweeps do. and much faster result compared to looping bass drums or sine signal. do take a peek at the drivers movement while running them. biggrin.gif
paskal
post Sep 27 2012, 11:25 AM

2,769 posts

QUOTE(-oc-gassa @ Sep 27 2012, 10:08 AM)
does subwoffer need burn in mode like other sound equipment?
more so with a subwoofer to loosen up the moving parts, the suspension especially.
while an electrical/electronic item wouldn't produce any measurable difference before and after running in, speaker drivers (sub drivers especially) produce so much difference that it's suggested to run them for at least 20 hours before taking any measurement.

it's widely documented that the driver's thielle-small parameter change before and after running in. run the bass tones that i've posted before to accelerate the process. do watch out not to bottom the drivers.
paskal
post Oct 6 2012, 02:50 PM

2,769 posts

user posted image
this have all the necessary trait to make a really good sub driver.
the technology isn't cheap at all. svs didn't hold anything back in the construction.
paskal
post Oct 9 2012, 06:29 AM

2,769 posts

QUOTE(htkaki @ Oct 8 2012, 11:49 PM)
It is indeed a beautifully designed driver  wub.gif  This SVS 13.5” FEA optimised underhung Ultra driver is solidly built. It is no surprise that it weights a staggering 60lbs for its size. That's heavier than a lot of subwoofers in the market.

By far, this is my favorite sub. I am keeping one for my personal HT system at home.
all the technical jargon used to make no sense to me. whatever is underhung motor, copper shorting ring, vented pole, dual spider, cast basket and everything else that svs said are put into making the pb13 and sb13 ultra.

they start to make more sense now. and even the reason why svs never ventured into larger, 15" driver also made sense. at under RM8k a piece, it's a steal. considering that the driver should take at least double the cost to make compared to other, simpler 15".
paskal
post Nov 18 2012, 10:37 PM

2,769 posts

never knew that pb12-nsd and sb12-nsd uses a variant of the peerless xls.
learning new things everyday..

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0445sec    0.71    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th November 2019 - 01:57 AM