Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Cycling V3, General talks on Racing/road bikes

views

butthead
post Sep 6 2012, 11:46 PM

On my way
593 posts

QUOTE(miaopurr @ Sep 6 2012, 11:43 PM)
dunno la, the reviews say stiff enough. and i'm sure weekend warriors can't tell the difference. when the time comes to retire my current frame, i wanna get a Ti frame.
it's definitely stiff enuf la... i can't even push out more than 400 watts last time i rode an SRM equipped bike on a full sprint up bangsar hills... not calibrated to me lar.. but never see it creep past 400watts..

i doubt i can feel the tarmac twist under my power load....in fact.. not most quality carbon frames..

Ti is the cool thing to get.. unfortunately.. only have a couple options over here.. you should get the Lynskey R440... custom order one in rclxms.gif rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by butthead: Sep 6 2012, 11:47 PM
lot101
post Sep 6 2012, 11:51 PM

Apa got sing sing one......
603 posts

QUOTE(butthead @ Sep 6 2012, 11:31 PM)
i read somewhere it is stiffer as well.. because the carbon layup methodologies.. i think it was the previous season models where the s-works had started internal ribbing and shit like that in the layup process while the standard spez has not...

but again... marginal gains is the main point... this is not F1.. every million for a 0.2second gain per lap is not considered acceptable..
a) cheap opposite with light (never gonna happen)

b) light  opposite with durable (never gonna happen as well, especially wheels)

the only thing achievable..
d) above average grouppo

for a bike around RM10k... say a Scott CR1 105 or BMC Road Racer... you get a

1) fairly (actually considered quite) branded mid range carbon bike
2) acceptable 105 entry level performance groupset and maybe even ultegra
3) quite light
4) not the most durable but yet to be flimsy (compromise bro, compromise)
5) budget is quite considered startup for a newbie by today's standard.. high for me.. but see some people pay like eat mcdonald value meal + size up only..

6) as for bike not targetted by baddies ... up to your luck.. maybe if it looks ugly enough not to attract them...

sorry to burst your bubble bro...

well.. i don't give a shit about branding... i would have gotten a better brand bike now for the price i have paid... but i got it due to it being something i can afford and there are some long term stuff tied to it even though it might not be the best bang for my buck...

Added on September 6, 2012, 11:36 pm

the front FD hanger is held on by some rivets as far as i saw.. don't think the bike shop have the balls to cut the rivet heads and tack on new rivets even they can find a replacement....

moots??? titanium is the virus of cycling considered by many people.. no one likes it and it's very evidently shown by not much appearing over here...

i'd get one if i have the money..
No bubble burst la, I used to be a dreamer (that was yesterday) today I am a realist (for now la).

Without testing other bikes, I dare say .... my money is on the EMC R1.6 just based on price and a brief ride. Otherwise it would have been the TCR SL* also known as 'non-bling vinn_ann edition'

I am still not too sure about the fit, it feels comfortable. But when I got off the bike......it looks really odd.

The other thing is that the hoods do not sit properly on the bars there seems to be some overhang. Plus there is a mild whine from the rear wheel. Cheap hubs maybe ? Can pour the money saved from buying the Giant into some SOUL wheelset.
miaopurr
post Sep 6 2012, 11:52 PM

On my way
570 posts

QUOTE(butthead @ Sep 6 2012, 11:46 PM)
it's definitely stiff enuf la... i can't even push out more than 400 watts last time i rode an SRM equipped bike on a full sprint up bangsar hills... not calibrated to me lar.. but never see it creep past 400watts..

i doubt i can feel the tarmac twist under my power load....in fact.. not most quality carbon frames..

Ti is the cool thing to get.. unfortunately.. only have a couple options over here.. you should get the Lynskey R440... custom order one in  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif
R440 ah? top one ooo... prefer the helix. sexseh! got nice curves and twists. but welding quality between moots vs lynskey, really different.

of course, buying a lynskey makes more sense. moots need to order, and whatever happens later, hmm....

eh, that singapore SOUL bike ok ka?

This post has been edited by miaopurr: Sep 6 2012, 11:53 PM
lot101
post Sep 6 2012, 11:57 PM

603 posts

QUOTE(miaopurr @ Sep 6 2012, 11:52 PM)
R440 ah? top one ooo... prefer the helix. sexseh! got nice curves and twists. but welding quality between moots vs lynskey, really different.

of course, buying a lynskey makes more sense. moots need to order, and whatever happens later, hmm....

They have a Ti frame, but I am thinking about their wheelsets. Their 2.0 max ( 260lb weight limit)
butthead
post Sep 7 2012, 09:19 AM

On my way
593 posts

QUOTE(lot101 @ Sep 6 2012, 11:51 PM)
No bubble burst la, I used to be a dreamer (that was yesterday) today I am a realist (for now la).

Without testing other bikes, I dare say .... my money is on the EMC R1.6 just based on price and a brief ride. Otherwise it would have been the TCR SL* also known as 'non-bling vinn_ann edition' 

I am still not too sure about the fit, it feels comfortable. But when I got off the bike......it looks really odd.

The other thing is that the hoods do not sit properly on the bars there seems to be  some overhang. Plus there is a mild whine from the rear wheel. Cheap hubs maybe ? Can pour the money saved from buying the Giant into some SOUL wheelset.
of course it's on the R1.6...for that price.. nothing is matching it... the remainder of the money from the pimp's bike (tcr sl3 limited edition with gold livery and gold xero limited edition wheels belonging to you know who) can be poured into swapping out stems and saddles... or maybe even some clipless pedals and shoes or a set of extra race day wheels with cassette... the stock wheels 24/28 spokes should be able to handle your weight... jus can't see how many crossings is the lacing pattern...

the shifters can be adjusted around la... dun understand what you meant by overhang... if you meant bar to shifter transition is not smooth.. mostly the shifter is not placed properly...

if you don't feel too stretched out or the handlebars too near you when riding seated... i think it's fair to say it's a good fit... try it with numerous hand positions.. on the handlebar top.. shifter hood... drops and see how it feels... drop is most probably the one problematic for most people (with a tummy) if there is massive amounts of bar drop...

QUOTE(miaopurr @ Sep 6 2012, 11:52 PM)

R440 is for suckers la... for that price.. it has to be able to fly like a monkey... not sure why a monkey.. but a monkey...

haha... you can personally fly to US and get one fitted... ride the colorado mountains for a couple of days.. enjoy aspen... then if all shit goes well.. bring the damn thing back...hahaha.. hand carry confirm no tax kua...

the singapore bike has SOUL... like the blues brothers.. haha.. jokin... no one knows lar.. you wanna be white rabbit and let us know?

from specs.. i like the destiny.. it's a 6A/4V titanium frame.. but the price of 3500SGD is kinda killing me...well.. that's what you pay for low production quantity quality hand mades i think...

QUOTE(lot101 @ Sep 6 2012, 11:57 PM)
They have a Ti frame, but I am thinking about their wheelsets. Their 2.0 max ( 260lb weight limit)
a bit doubtful if those sweet looking wheels will hold up to abuse... sorry, i am very skeptical about wheels...

and, problematic if spokes start breaking.. hard to find replacements for those straight pulls... especially an unknown source... even if they are willing to send you replacements... shipping will be a pain...

Added on September 7, 2012, 9:27 amNew SRAM Force 2013..

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/09/05/2013-s...price-increase/

trickle down red tech.. but don't see the new yaw adjustable FD... no chain catcher.. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

This post has been edited by butthead: Sep 7 2012, 09:27 AM
joonming
post Sep 7 2012, 09:50 AM

JM
540 posts

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...4987&sec=nation rclxms.gif

flex.gif thumbup.gif
miaopurr
post Sep 7 2012, 10:59 AM

On my way
570 posts

QUOTE(butthead @ Sep 7 2012, 09:19 AM)
haha... you can personally fly to US and get one fitted... ride the colorado mountains for a couple of days.. enjoy aspen... then if all shit goes well.. bring the damn thing back...hahaha.. hand carry confirm no tax kua...

the singapore bike has SOUL... like the blues brothers.. haha.. jokin... no one knows lar.. you wanna be white rabbit and let us know?
puhleezzz.... handcarry is so yesterday. i'll ride the frame gangnam style thru the green lane.

might consider soul, but not soon lah. when the time comes. see how
TSvin_ann
post Sep 7 2012, 10:59 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,912 posts

i wonder, how a cyclist can raise fund for charity when he cycle thousand thousand of KM from 1 place to another.

oh, what's nice to get in UK? friend is going to UK.... asked me want to buy anything or not... suddenly cant thinks of any as my pocket is broke...
miaopurr
post Sep 7 2012, 11:08 AM

On my way
570 posts

fridge magnets

OR bigasschain! get the kryptonite one

This post has been edited by miaopurr: Sep 7 2012, 11:10 AM
mrjgx
post Sep 7 2012, 11:13 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

What do I need to buy if I want an 11-32 cassette? Have to buy the wi-fli thingy groupo eh?

I'm rocking on a 28T..I think I can do some magic with a 32..ahaha.

Checking wallet....tsk tsk
miaopurr
post Sep 7 2012, 11:14 AM

On my way
570 posts

get a long cage RD. i think shimano also has long cage, but not sure up to which gruppo
mrjgx
post Sep 7 2012, 11:30 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

Like this also can..36T..fuiyoh

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2012...erailleur-hack/
lot101
post Sep 7 2012, 11:46 AM

603 posts

QUOTE(mrjgx @ Sep 7 2012, 11:30 AM)
Sorry li dat geng ah shakehead.gif

EMC r1.6......pumpkin style....going to knock it down to 4K......see can or not.

I might just get bars, shoes, jersey, jacket, spares,pants, cleats .... and use my old look pedals. or use RM8 glow in the dark pedals....the choices one must make.

After if I manage to kill the grouppo,,,,it will be Campag 11 speed for me. Just want to try it out, see what the whooo haaa is all about.

Not that I have owned any of his products...just read the below threads.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/7...our-pics/page34 <---the guy responds in North American thread.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/6...on-souls-wheels <-- this one necro thread.
TSvin_ann
post Sep 7 2012, 11:48 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,912 posts

important is your base.

train up leg power, any 28 or 32 or 36 will be added advantage!
butthead
post Sep 7 2012, 11:50 AM

On my way
593 posts

QUOTE(miaopurr @ Sep 7 2012, 10:59 AM)
puhleezzz.... handcarry is so yesterday. i'll ride the frame gangnam style thru the green lane.

might consider soul, but not soon lah. when the time comes. see how
i'll like to see you gangnam style it on a bike... maybe the customs officer will go all wide eyed on you if they have never seen it...

we henceforth name it... miaopurr's gangname style..dun forget to get a sexy chick to trust her hips on top of you... that is the pinnacle of the video...

QUOTE(vin_ann @ Sep 7 2012, 10:59 AM)
i wonder, how a cyclist can raise fund for charity when he cycle thousand thousand of KM from 1 place to another.

oh, what's nice to get in UK? friend is going to UK.... asked me want to buy anything or not... suddenly cant thinks of any as my pocket is broke...
there is this thing called publicity?

everything is nice...sked u got no money only...

QUOTE(miaopurr @ Sep 7 2012, 11:08 AM)
fridge magnets

OR bigasschain! get the kryptonite one
why kryptonite? he is no clark kent...

bigasschain is from US lar... i'll get me some jolly ol' spankin..

QUOTE(mrjgx @ Sep 7 2012, 11:13 AM)
What do I need to buy if I want an 11-32 cassette? Have to buy the wi-fli thingy groupo eh?

I'm rocking on a 28T..I think I can do some magic with a 32..ahaha.

Checking wallet....tsk tsk
Wifli is gonna be a complete change camp to SRAM ler.. you sure?

on Shimano.. i think you can still swap a MTB RD on a non-dura ace group... but the cage will be too long...and a new chain as well as you need the extra links...

the other way is.. get a GS type RD.. mid length RD instead of the SS type you have (short cage)

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/glo...pe-rd_road.html
user posted image

hard to find in KL unless you can find someone with a triple crank road bike who wants to convert... then you can buy it off him... i have a Ultegra GS but i lost the derailleur pulleys... it's buried in dust now and i sort of sawed off the cage's pulley safety tab as well..

so, in total if shimano... no big hacks.. jus parts swap for a 32T cassette...

1) Mid cage RD
2) New chain with enough links... at least 114 (i think it's 114) links
3) 32T cassette... PG-1050 SRAM or if you can find or have money.. a PG-1070

if you want to hack it with a MTB cassette.. 36T.. you can always do it the bad ass way by taking out the b-limit screw and screw it in reverse.. meaning screw head against the frame..

Nick Legan documented it before.. he even made a Di2 Durace short cage run with 32T i think... which is what wayne stetina of shimano uses on his daily ride...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/12/bik...seatpost_199011

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/12/bik...possible_199407

take a look...

QUOTE(miaopurr @ Sep 7 2012, 11:14 AM)
get a long cage RD. i think shimano also has long cage, but not sure up to which gruppo
it's actually a mid cage.. but they call it long in road groups...

harder to find mid cage MTB RDs though...

QUOTE(mrjgx @ Sep 7 2012, 11:30 AM)
this is not the conventional way la.. 36T is too much unless you are meeting gradients in excess of 25%

do have to warn you that long cage RD suffers with sloppy shifting a bit... and the also you find a lot of gears missing during flat sections of road where cadence jumps will be more higher than usual...

meaning the gear ratios will be less closer...

Added on September 7, 2012, 12:06 pm
QUOTE(lot101 @ Sep 7 2012, 11:46 AM)
Just want to try it out, see what the whooo haaa is all about.
if you want whoo haa... go sram.. there is nothing to whoo haa about in the campy camp.. and.. not cheap as well...

why does his soul wheels have white spokes.. i like white spokes.. didn't see it on their site also?
user posted image

QUOTE(vin_ann @ Sep 7 2012, 11:48 AM)
important is your base.

train up leg power, any 28 or 32 or 36 will be added advantage!
WRONG!!!...

what pro cycling teaches us is that ...important is your drugs... remember to bring it always...

that or an EX5...

This post has been edited by butthead: Sep 7 2012, 12:08 PM
TSvin_ann
post Sep 7 2012, 12:10 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,912 posts

oh yeah... on my Berjaya Hills Resort ride....

when im back, its the final Hamburger hill need to tackle ! that day, i felt much better tackling the Hamburger hill !!!

unlike previous suffer like hell.... its just perception matter?

haha...
butthead
post Sep 7 2012, 12:20 PM

On my way
593 posts

QUOTE(vin_ann @ Sep 7 2012, 12:10 PM)
oh yeah... on my Berjaya Hills Resort ride....

when im back, its the final Hamburger hill need to tackle ! that day, i felt much better tackling the Hamburger hill !!!

unlike previous suffer like hell.... its just perception matter?

haha...
u just had a good day...
mrjgx
post Sep 7 2012, 12:25 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

QUOTE(butthead @ Sep 7 2012, 11:50 AM)

hard to find in KL unless you can find someone with a triple crank road bike who wants to convert... then you can buy it off him... i have a Ultegra GS but i lost the derailleur pulleys... it's buried in dust now and i sort of sawed off the cage's pulley safety tab as well..

so, in total if shimano... no big hacks.. jus parts swap for a 32T cassette...

Ok so the items needed,

1050 cassette...11-32,
Longer chain..116 --- normally what's the normal price eh?
Mid rd, this one where to get from normal bike shop Ada jual?

Would love to visit tp my lbs this weekend. thumbup.gif
butthead
post Sep 7 2012, 12:31 PM

On my way
593 posts

QUOTE(mrjgx @ Sep 7 2012, 12:25 PM)
Ok so the items needed,

1050 cassette...11-32,
Longer chain..116 --- normally what's the normal price eh?
Mid rd, this one where to get from normal bike shop Ada jual?

Would love to visit tp my lbs this weekend.  thumbup.gif
chain is 120 bucks i think for the cheapest SRAM PC-1031... 114-links is gonna be enough.. in fact ... 1 or 2 links might get knocked off... if lucky.. you might not even need a new chain...

miaopurr did say the Dura Ace chain is only RM140 bucks.. .maybe you ask where he got it... mightily cheap...next level SRAM 1051 chain is 170 i remember...

RD is a bit of a good luck thing.. never seen it in KL before.. i got mine off ebay from taiwan... think about 160 bucks not including delivery...

Faustino Munoz and Clenbutador's stage 17 winning bike... equipped with Red WiFLi... i've became a SRAM sales man again ain't i blush.gif
user posted image

Added on September 7, 2012, 1:10 pmever wondered why is the camera man not scared...

bike seems to be aimed directly at him...
user posted image

Added on September 7, 2012, 1:47 pmit's nick legan's last article on velonews before he leaves to pursue something else...

here is a nice article by him on his habits of fitting multiple bikes... can be adopted to swapping bikes...
Ask Nick: Spending aero money, fitting a second bike, wheels for Ireland and seating tubulars

This post has been edited by butthead: Sep 7 2012, 01:47 PM
minizian
post Sep 7 2012, 04:42 PM

Regular
1,053 posts

QUOTE(lot101 @ Sep 6 2012, 09:42 PM)
That is 'The Malaysian Dilemma' ...... buying for a lack of a better (comparative) choice.

I am just wondering if this EMC brand is 'good' (to me la but not blown away good).....what about Merida or Giant's range or even Polygon to say the least ? Of course all this is based on relevant spec and pricing.

Your tax question, with regards to bicycles....if its above RM500/= then its taxable....read it some where. Not sure how relevant is it today. Of course there are ahem ahem options. I have no such lubang.

Which EMC model do you have ?

kms.customs.gov.my  see if you can find anything here.
EMC is quite well known here in australia and even so in NZ (that where they come from). Seen some of it riding around here on daily basis. There few shops here that carries this brand brand here. The shop I got my EMC for manage to sell all of its last year stock. For some odd reason they cant get hold of this year EMC due to some supply prob perhaps.

One of the local magazine review Equp 1.2 and give good praise about its price and perfomance ratio.

user posted image

I had EMC etape R2.2 which is alu but with carbon rear seat stay, aprox around 9kg ish. I not particular about being aluminium since i am newbie to road cycling and probabaly cant feel the difference. The founder of brand told me its stiffer than some carbon frame too. Mine around RM3.2k for the bike only.

Had spacer put on the shifter and it does feel more natural flow from hood to shifter for my small hand than without it.

Here teh pic, mine in the middle
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I think buying bike in aussie can be headache as there are many choice in the price range, plus sales at year end and mid year with high discount make thing worse rclxub.gif rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by minizian: Sep 7 2012, 04:47 PM

125 Pages « < 48 49 50 51 52 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0261sec    0.15    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:40 PM