Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Differences between Realtime and High Priority, in task manager

views

SUSErgoProxi
post Jul 7 2012, 11:15 PM, updated 12y ago

Aren't I just good enough to eat?
2,702 posts

just wondering......

should I change the priority to high or real-time to speed-up processes ?
WaCKy-Angel
post Jul 7 2012, 11:16 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

It could crash whatever it is if u change it.
Best if just leave it alone.
deARCH
post Jul 9 2012, 02:50 PM

Casual
482 posts

QUOTE(ErgoProxi @ Jul 7 2012, 11:15 PM)
just wondering......

should I change the priority to high or real-time to speed-up processes ?
Yes. I done that sometimes since my PC before not quite hi-end. But I changed it back after the process is done. I do not leave it like that forever. Not sure it will revert back to normal or not once you reboot. But for recommendation and system stability purposes, do not change it. Leave it as it is.
ShadowLeaf
post Jul 29 2012, 08:57 PM

24 posts

change it to high still ok, change to realtime not wise
BlackWoods
post Aug 1 2012, 09:06 PM

Dark Knight
2,152 posts

Change to high priority and your PC will allocate more RAM and CPU resources for that particular program.

Change to real time it will allocate full resource for it if not mistaken, and make your PC crash.
badai
post Aug 2 2012, 10:20 PM

Enthusiast
986 posts

if the program is not buggy, it will only make your hardware, OS and other apps to become unresponsive. but it will not crash anything, except the program that run in realtime priorities, if the program itself is buggy. otherwise just wait until that program is finish. the program also cannot end if it encounter endless loop. also, if it has memory leak, instead of finishing very fast, it will take a lot of time to finish due to usage of swap file/disk. nothing will happen to your mouse click because it's process in "real time" by windows and since windows is too busy running your program, your mouse signal will be drop. your keyboard on the other hand will buffer your keystroke and might make funny noise when its buffer is full. all buffered keystroke will be process when windows manage to have extra slot.

so if you know your program didn't slow down your pc when running in normal priority, it's ok to run it in real time. some program do have option where you can set the priority, but it's better if you fire up task manager, go to process tab and change the priority there. that way, when your windows become unresponsive, you can see at task manager your computer is actually running fine.

you can also use process hacker (http://sourceforge.net/projects/processhacker/) instead of task manager to change priority and monitor you program.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0143sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:16 PM