Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

104 Pages « < 93 94 95 96 97 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

General LEARNING JAPANESE!, LEARNING JAPANESE!!

views

goldfries
post Aug 17 2015, 06:10 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

I have no problem memorizing Kanji because I'm Chinese ed, just that I have to learn up the "sound" for it. Kanji is like looking at traditional Chinese text to me, however some words carry different meaning, for example 青 in Chinese refers to green but in Japanese refers to blue.

biggrin.gif Now the darndest thing for me is that I know Hiragana but I don't know what they mean. tongue.gif Basically I can read but heck, what on earth does the sentence mean? I could figure things out of there are Kanji around but heck I understand the Kanji but don't know how to read them.

Katakana is ze best!!! flex.gif
kenjixx
post Aug 17 2015, 06:40 PM

my home hero
741 posts

QUOTE(screwed @ Aug 17 2015, 06:05 PM)
Btw, if you are selling second hand magazine or novels, I'd like to buy it smile.gif
Aeon mid valley has a corner sell old magazine and novel for cheap price
-----------------

I had problem memorising... Until now I still not comfortable with my hiragana katakana... I only do simple reading once in a while xD
screwed
post Aug 17 2015, 07:06 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

QUOTE(goldfries @ Aug 17 2015, 06:10 PM)
I have no problem memorizing Kanji because I'm Chinese ed, just that I have to learn up the "sound" for it. Kanji is like looking at traditional Chinese text to me, however some words carry different meaning, for example 青 in Chinese refers to green but in Japanese refers to blue.

biggrin.gif Now the darndest thing for me is that I know Hiragana but I don't know what they mean. tongue.gif Basically I can read but heck, what on earth does the sentence mean? I could figure things out of there are Kanji around but heck I understand the Kanji but don't know how to read them.

Katakana is ze best!!!  flex.gif
I think I can relate to your situation, able to read hiragana but not knowing what it means.
For example, when doing mock exam N4, I encountered alot of words in hiragana. Because I'm so used to reading kanji, some words like せいげんじかん (制限時間 - Time limit) took me a while to understand the meaning, much easier if it is written in kanji.

Hence the reason why I choose to take N3 this year and by pass N4 and N5.

カタカナが苦手ですよ! rclxub.gif

XPAWNED01
post Aug 17 2015, 10:21 PM

Casual
307 posts

QUOTE(screwed @ Aug 17 2015, 06:05 PM)
Btw, if you are selling second hand magazine or novels, I'd like to buy it smile.gif
Sorry. Not really thinking of selling my collection at the moment (Lotsa backlog to read). Though, you can purchase Japanese novels, magazines or manga through Kinokuniya KLCC or kinokuniya malaysia homepage.

QUOTE(kenjixx @ Aug 17 2015, 06:40 PM)
Aeon mid valley has a corner sell old magazine and novel for cheap price
-----------------
didn't aware of that. Tingkat berapa tu?

This post has been edited by XPAWNED01: Aug 17 2015, 10:27 PM
blueric94
post Aug 20 2015, 04:03 AM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(screwed @ Aug 17 2015, 07:06 PM)
I think I can relate to your situation, able to read hiragana but not knowing what it means.
For example, when doing mock exam N4, I encountered alot of words in hiragana. Because I'm so used to reading kanji, some words like せいげんじかん (制限時間 - Time limit)  took me a while to understand the meaning, much easier if it is written in kanji.

Hence the reason why I choose to take N3  this year and by pass N4 and N5.
カタカナが苦手ですよ! rclxub.gif
Ur first problem can only be solved by listening more laugh.gif
riku2replica
post Aug 20 2015, 03:35 PM

Mugi-chan!! 可愛い!!
3,304 posts

QUOTE(screwed @ Aug 17 2015, 07:06 PM)
For example, when doing mock exam N4, I encountered alot of words in hiragana. Because I'm so used to reading kanji, some words like せいげんじかん (制限時間 - Time limit)  took me a while to understand the meaning, much easier if it is written in kanji.

Hence the reason why I choose to take N3  this year and by pass N4 and N5.
カタカナが苦手ですよ! rclxub.gif
Erm, I not sure if it will be fine for you to pass N4. I was suppose to take N3 last year, but I took N4 instead, and surprise... Grammar almost failed me, leaving me unsatisfied. Don't be overconfidence.
screwed
post Aug 24 2015, 05:19 PM

Getting Started
187 posts

QUOTE(riku2replica @ Aug 20 2015, 03:35 PM)
Erm, I not sure if it will be fine for you to pass N4. I was suppose to take N3 last year, but I took N4 instead, and surprise... Grammar almost failed me, leaving me unsatisfied. Don't be overconfidence.
I think I will be just fine with N3 and will take the challenge rclxms.gif
I have social circles of friends that are Japanese and also been getting help from them to improve my grammar, proficiency and vocabs. Should be alright flex.gif

僕は自分の力を信じているから大丈夫です!意思あるところに道あり brows.gif
riku2replica
post Sep 1 2015, 08:29 AM

Mugi-chan!! 可愛い!!
3,304 posts

Please take note:

JLPT DECEMBER 2015 ONLINE REGISTRATION WILL OPEN ON 1ST SEPTEMBER 2015
AND END MIDNIGHT 13TH SEPTEMBER 2015.

oneeleven
post Oct 1 2015, 09:19 PM

Regular
1,515 posts

Japanese (non-teacher) seeking language exchange partner for simple conversation. Partner must have excellent command of standard English.

Likely arrangement, TT near LRT once a week, one hour each language, no payment. All negotiable.

Interested? Please PM me.
Lyu
post Nov 26 2015, 10:26 AM

Enthusiast
772 posts

Hi I am new here.

This thread is really useful.

Can check with u?
Is "wakaranai" = I don't understand?

Is there any e-books u can recommend for learning?

I tried to converse in Japanese and my friend said I was funny. He told me stop mimicking the character in anime....

Any YouTube video u can suggest in learning Japanese as well?

Thanx in advance
oneeleven
post Dec 6 2015, 11:53 PM

Regular
1,515 posts

Two months, no takers for free conversation practice. What, nobody learning the real language here, just exams?!?

After working with this Japanese person for a while, I believe it would be acceptable to have a typical partner for English as long as they are not practicing broken sentences. I will meet for a few joint practices and help hand over. PM me!
takashishinohara
post Dec 7 2015, 10:46 AM

Swimming Coach, Japanese Language Teacher
524 posts

QUOTE(Lyu @ Nov 26 2015, 11:26 AM)
Hi I am new here.

This thread is really useful.

Can check with u?
Is "wakaranai" = I don't understand?

Is there any e-books u can recommend for learning?

I tried to converse in Japanese and my friend said I was funny. He told me stop mimicking the character in anime....

Any YouTube video u can suggest in learning Japanese as well?

Thanx in advance
Wakarimasen is plain form and wakaranai is polite form

So far i only can recommend minna no nihongo, any other books recommend from other pro?
alchemist321
post Dec 18 2015, 12:41 PM

5 posts

im new here,and this post useful for me,i have to learn more japanese words because it was cool without the anime
Quazacolt
post Dec 18 2015, 02:32 PM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(takashishinohara @ Dec 7 2015, 10:46 AM)
Wakarimasen is plain form and wakaranai is polite form
isn't it the other way around?
Lyu
post Jan 8 2016, 02:10 PM

Enthusiast
772 posts

Hey, do enlighten me.

I saw a post. First sentence is hiragana. Second sentence is katakana.

Y? When I know I should use hiragana or katakana?
airiholic
post Jan 12 2016, 08:35 PM

Getting Started
234 posts

Hiragana for japanese words and sentences.

Katakana
-is for words taken from foreign languages.

-When the entire sentence is katakana, could be to indicate that the speaker speaks japanese with a foreign accent

-onomatopoeia

-When refering to scientific/technical terms

-sometimes to give a 'friendly' feeling. for example, zoos sometimes write the animals name in katakana so kids can read them. instead of 白熊 you might find シロクマ
airiholic
post Jan 12 2016, 09:51 PM

Getting Started
234 posts

WARNING:LONG POST

I'd like to share how I managed to win a 2 week study trip SPONSORED by the Japan foundation. Sponsored flight ticket, accomodation and food. Any money you bring there will be used for entertainment rclxm9.gif . NOTE: I haven't taken the JLPT nor attended any Japanese classes

Each year, the Japan Foundation of Kuala Lumpur hosts a japanese speech competition (日本語弁論大会) When? Follow the JFKL facebook page. Have an idea on what you want to talk about. Something you're passionate about or skilled at. Perhaps about your own experience, or your dreams. Anything at all. Write the rough draft of your script in your native language.

Go to lang-8 and create an account and create a post. translate your script to japanese to the best of your ability. For each post, translate ONLY ONE OR TWO paragraph(s). Make sure to write the include the english script as well in case your japanese is too difficult to understand, japanese people can see what you're trying to say by reading the english text.

This was my the first part of my initial script
誰でも成功者になりたいです。そうなのに、人間たちの中に何人が成功するのために何でもします?誰でもマーク・ザッカーバーグ、 スティーブ”・ジョブズなんての人生の話もう知っていますかもしれません。今日私は多分皆さんが知らない人生の話を話します

本田宗一郎さんは1906年に生まれました。子供の頃、自転車屋でお父さんを手伝いました。中学を卒業しました後、新聞で求人見まして、東京へ引越ししました。東京のアート商会というワクショップで働いていました。車が大好きで、ワクショップで働いていましたけど、めしつかいの仕事をしましたから、車のことを出来ませんでした。

Everyone wants to become successful. But how many people are willing to whatever it takes? Everyone has probably heard the story of Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs. Today, I'm going to tell the life story that you probably never heard before.

Honda Souichirou was born in 1906. Since he was small, he helped his father at the bicycle shop. After graduating from middle school, he saw an job opening in a newspaper and moved to Tokyo to work. In Tokyo, he worked at a workshop called 'Art Shokai'. Even though he loved cars and worked at a workshop, he couldn't work on cars because he only did menial jobs.

Japanese users will then correct your japanese sentence by sentence. Copy the correct sentences and paste it in a google doc. YES, GOOGLE DOCS. Not word. You'll see why later. Keep posting paragraph by paragraph until you finish your script. again, copy and paste the correct sentences to the google doc.

By now, you should have a complete script in japanese. Although the sentences are correct grammatically, it might not sound natural since we only copy pasted the sentences, which might have been corrected by different users. So how do we make the sentences more natural?

If you have a japanese friend on skype (luckily,I do) CALL (not chat) him and send him the url of the google doc. Ask him to adjust the sentences so it seems more natural and fluid. as he tells you what to change, you can make the changes on the google doc and he will see those adjustments being made in real time. It's like having a native japanese speaker at your side correcting your script!

If you don't have japanese friends on skype, copy and paste the japanes translated script from the google doc into a lang-8 post. Mention that you want it to be corrected so it would sound natural.

After having my text corrected in real time through skype and google docs, my lame script I wrote previously, turned into this masterpiece
「成功者は、例え不運な事態に見舞われても、この試練を乗り越えたら、必ず成功すると考えている。そして、最後まで諦めなかった人間が、成功しているのである」本田宗一郎より

「成功者になりたい」、これは誰もが願うことですが、それを実現させようという意思を持つ人は一体どれくらいいるでしょうか?
今日私は、最後まで諦めなかった人の話をしたいと思います。

本田宗一郎は1906年に生まれました。彼は中学を卒業した後、東京へと引越し、自動車修理工場で働き始めました。

Once you have an awesome script, try reading it out loud. There will be a time limit of 5 minutes (if I'm not mistaken) so see if you can finish the script within 5 minutes. If it's too long, edit unecessary parts out. If its too short, you can read it slower or add some parts.

If you can, get a japanese friend to read the script while you record him. Keep the recording on your phone and listen to it constantly. If you don't have a japanese friend, record yourself reading it. Keep practicing until you memorize the script. Try to minimize any foreign accent.

During the competition, after your speech, you will be given some questions regarding your speech. My speech was titled 'Honda Soichiro and the Power of Dreams' and the 1st question I was given was 'あなたは夢がありますか?' Don't make the same mistake I did and answer with a simple 'はい、あります' Instead, I should've answered 'はい、あります。私の夢は。。。。' I found out later that although my speech was the best, I lost valuable points because of my short answers. Moral: answer the questions in full sentences.

After you step off the stage, don't worry. nothing you do after will change the results. If you manage to make top 3, congrats. You're going to Japan. if not, you can always try again next year.

By 14AW005 <--my id for the study trip biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by airiholic: Jan 12 2016, 09:53 PM
Lyu
post Jan 15 2016, 03:38 PM

Enthusiast
772 posts

QUOTE(airiholic @ Jan 12 2016, 08:35 PM)
Hiragana for japanese words and sentences.
Katakana
-is for words taken from foreign languages.

-When the entire sentence is katakana, could be to indicate that the speaker speaks japanese with a foreign accent

-onomatopoeia

-When refering to scientific/technical terms

-sometimes to give a 'friendly' feeling. for example, zoos sometimes write the animals name in katakana so kids can read them. instead of 白熊 you might find シロクマ
How about y they mixed kanji with hiragana and katakana?

When they should use kanji?
airiholic
post Jan 18 2016, 10:20 AM

Getting Started
234 posts

QUOTE(Lyu @ Jan 15 2016, 03:38 PM)
How about y they mixed kanji with hiragana and katakana?

When they should use kanji?
あの男性はボブです。That guy is Bob.

There's no rule to when you should use kanji. You can write in full hiragana and it's still fine. Certain well known kanjis are written in kanji. Since pretty much the entire japanese population can read 男性, it is written that way instead of だんせい

Greetings are usually written in hiragana instead of kanji。こんにちは instead of 今日は
expressive terms like かわいい/カワイイ are written in kana to express how cute it is wub.gif . 可愛い seems more serious
some companies use katakana for their name; トヨタinstead of 豊田. Some use kanji; 三菱 (mitsubishi)

The more you familiarize yourself with japanese, the more you'll discover the small nuances of the language. It's something you'll learn faster when you discover it for yourself
takashishinohara
post Jan 21 2016, 04:08 PM

Swimming Coach, Japanese Language Teacher
524 posts

100% agreed with what airiholic mentioned.

104 Pages « < 93 94 95 96 97 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0195sec    0.22    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:01 PM