Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> is it illegal to carry pocket knife above 3 inches

hackwire
post May 21 2012, 07:01 PM, updated 6y ago

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

what's the legitimate knife length one can carry as pocket knife? is it a crime if u carry more than 3 inches?
entryman
post May 21 2012, 07:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!

I believe its already a crime to be carrying a flick knife.
hackwire
post May 21 2012, 07:21 PM

Look at all my stars!!

pocket knife is not a crime i guess but i think there's a limit to the length of knife one can carry as a pocket knife. if im not mistaken is 3 inches. anyone can seconded this? im not sure yet.
acbc
post May 21 2012, 07:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!

I always carry a Swiss Army pocket knife around... pretty handy. However, don't use while in a bank or any public places with heavy security.
slimey
post May 21 2012, 08:07 PM

a falcon punch can be more dangerous
freezadwar
post May 21 2012, 09:01 PM

:okay:

it is okay to bring a swiss army knife, but the knife only part is a no no. if i am not mistaken
' or 1=1 --
post May 21 2012, 09:16 PM

ayam sadding

no balisongs, no switchblades, no kerambit style blades (claw shaped), no double edged blades or any type of blades that are made as weapons instead of a tool really.
hackwire
post May 21 2012, 09:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(freezadwar @ May 21 2012, 09:01 PM)
it is okay to bring a swiss army knife, but the knife only part is a no no. if i am not mistaken
Got different? Swiss army knife have new model now bout 4 inches long. Pretty tempting especially rescue knife to cut seat belt n glass window breaker for auto accident emergency. This knife is 111 mm n exceeded 3 inches .
Axidrain
post May 21 2012, 09:31 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(hackwire @ May 21 2012, 09:19 PM)
Got different? Swiss army knife have new model now bout 4 inches long. Pretty tempting especially rescue knife to cut seat belt n glass window breaker for auto accident emergency. This knife is 111 mm n exceeded 3 inches .
The rescue tool right? Well it's basically a Swiss army knife so I think it should be alright. But don't quote me on that tho haha! Then again, how often do u get frisked by cops here in Malaysia anyway. And even if u do, it's a rescue tool. Just explain what it is and if they wanna confiscate it just co-operate.
Meis
post May 22 2012, 01:28 AM

Thinker

QUOTE(Axidrain @ May 21 2012, 09:31 PM)
The rescue tool right? Well it's basically a Swiss army knife so I think it should be alright. But don't quote me on that tho haha! Then again, how often do u get frisked by cops here in Malaysia anyway. And even if u do, it's a rescue tool. Just explain what it is and if they wanna confiscate it just co-operate.
+1

better safe than sorry
Polaris
post May 22 2012, 02:52 AM

Trust Fund Baby

Carry a screwdriver instead as a weapon
hackwire
post May 22 2012, 10:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!

screw diver can be dangerous as u may get yourself stab instead.
' or 1=1 --
post May 22 2012, 11:14 AM

ayam sadding

QUOTE(hackwire @ May 22 2012, 10:36 AM)
screw diver can be dangerous as u may get yourself stab instead.
on another note. if you like knives. here's another option, leatherman. i have a squirt ps4 and a leatherman wave. i carry this all the time. sometimes on my belt, most of the time in my pocket. its got locking blades and under 3 inches. pretty sweet. fully stainless steel. and it has 2 blades apart from other tools.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
hackwire
post May 22 2012, 11:22 AM

Look at all my stars!!

it looks cool but i need the saw if i need to cut wood when camping . more over i like the one hand knife opener concept which is quick draw when animal attack.
' or 1=1 --
post May 22 2012, 11:26 AM

ayam sadding

QUOTE(hackwire @ May 22 2012, 11:22 AM)
it looks cool but i need the saw if i need to cut wood when camping . more over i like the one hand knife opener concept which is quick draw when animal attack.
but it does have a saw. :3 i'll just post the rest of my photos here.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
the mini screwdriver bit is interchangeable
user posted image
the main driver bit if u buy the bit kit, will give u an additional 42 different screwdriver types and sizes.
user posted image
user posted image

This post has been edited by ' or 1=1 --: May 22 2012, 11:28 AM
hackwire
post May 22 2012, 11:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!

not bad. how much is yours?
' or 1=1 --
post May 22 2012, 11:29 AM

ayam sadding

QUOTE(hackwire @ May 22 2012, 11:28 AM)
not bad. how much is yours?
there's a guy selling here on the forum for rm280. i got mine for 360 including the sheath and the bit kit.
PrincZe
post May 22 2012, 05:51 PM

Regular

bro, i saw a strand of hair there
trent666
post May 22 2012, 06:50 PM

Casual

I've been doing some research on knives and swords. I've consulted the laws, lawyers and cops.

The law you need to refer to is CORROSIVE AND EXPLOSIVE SUBSTANCES AND OFFENSIVE WEAPONS ACT 1958

Details here:
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Punishment under SECTION 6 (1):
- Maximum two year jail term and whipping.

My interpretation:
1. The law does not describe how "long" the knife has to be to be considered a dangerous weapon.
2. The law clearly stipulates that balisongs/switchblades (both understood by the law as flick knife) and the gravity knives are illegal.
3. The law clearly stipulates that anything designed to stab or pierce flesh is illegal.
4. Swords of all type are strictly forbidden.
5. Swords or other forbidden items are only legal if they are where they are designed to be - e.g. Sword at a Martial Arts Dojo, Parang at a garden shed instead of your car etc

Conclusion:
1. Penknives/pocketknives, by nature of being small and designed for non-lethal use, are not illegal.
2. Multi-tools are designed to be *multi-tools* and thus the knife was not designed for lethal use.
3. Single-hand operated folding knives are subjective.
- If I were to carry one, I would choose a model that is not designed for stabbing (single-sided blade, includes serrated blade. See sample here.)
- Probably not recommended for our ambigous laws.
4. Cops have the discretion to decide whether your penknife etc is forbidden under this law.
5. Even a baton/T-baton/cota can be considered a weapon.

Additional notes:
1. No. I can't import the sword I wanted.
2. I carry a Leatherman Style CS on my keychain*.
3. I equip a small letter opener in the car for practical reasons.
4. I have two SAKs which I keep at home for home use and they have travelled with me overseas (check-in lugguage).

Hope this helps and I look foward to hearing feedback.

*My keychain is my primary self-defence weapon and I hold it whenever I'm in dodgy places.

This post has been edited by trent666: May 22 2012, 07:02 PM
azbro
post May 22 2012, 08:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!

I wonder if the pepper spray is legal
' or 1=1 --
post May 22 2012, 09:55 PM

ayam sadding

QUOTE(azbro @ May 22 2012, 08:56 PM)
I wonder if the pepper spray is legal
pepper spray is legal smile.gif
hackwire
post May 22 2012, 09:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(trent666 @ May 22 2012, 06:50 PM)
I've been doing some research on knives and swords. I've consulted the laws, lawyers and cops.

The law you need to refer to is CORROSIVE AND EXPLOSIVE SUBSTANCES AND OFFENSIVE WEAPONS ACT 1958

Details here:

My interpretation:
1. The law does not describe how "long" the knife has to be to be considered a dangerous weapon.
2. The law clearly stipulates that balisongs/switchblades (both understood by the law as flick knife) and the gravity knives are illegal.
3. The law clearly stipulates that anything designed to stab or pierce flesh is illegal.
5. Swords or other forbidden items are only legal if they are where they are designed to be - e.g. Sword at a Martial Arts Dojo, Parang at a garden shed instead of your car etc

Conclusion:
1. Penknives/pocketknives, by nature of being small and designed for non-lethal use, are not illegal.
2. Multi-tools are designed to be *multi-tools* and thus the knife was not designed for lethal use.
- If I were to carry one, I would choose a model that is not designed for stabbing (single-sided blade, includes serrated blade. See sample here.)
4. Cops have the discretion to decide whether your penknife etc is forbidden under this law.

Additional notes:
4. I have two SAKs which I keep at home for home use and they have travelled with me overseas (check-in lugguage).

*My keychain is my primary self-defence weapon and I hold it whenever I'm in dodgy places.
nice info. what do u think of this blade in the pocket everyday? it seem safe but also can be use against us by cops interpretation right?
http://www.swissmar.com/can/active/wenger/ranger.htm

Added on May 22, 2012, 9:59 pm
QUOTE(' or 1=1 -- @ May 22 2012, 09:55 PM)
pepper spray is legal smile.gif
only if use for self defense.

This post has been edited by hackwire: May 22 2012, 09:59 PM
low7
post May 23 2012, 01:36 AM

Getting Started

I remember reading in the newspaper last time, there was a guy who got arrested for caring a penknife. He said it was just for his own protection but the police said it's illegal to carry those things around.
hackwire
post May 23 2012, 11:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!

that's the reason why we need to discuss this matter and learn what's our right . according to trent666, it's legal since Swiss Army Knife is not the gravity knife or any dangerous blade . a pencil can be a stab knife to , can tell the polis also what different does it make . I suppose the polis don't know the law as stipulated out by trent666. under which ordinance, tell the polis that it's illegal?
arif85124
post May 24 2012, 11:01 AM

i always have swiss knife under my motorcycle seat, i don't bring it around in my pocket. is it legal?
hackwire
post May 24 2012, 01:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(arif85124 @ May 24 2012, 11:01 AM)
i always have swiss knife under my motorcycle seat, i don't bring it around in my pocket. is it legal?
according to law , nope.
alienfighter
post May 24 2012, 02:16 PM

On my way

QUOTE(hackwire @ May 22 2012, 09:58 PM)
nice info. what do u think of this blade in the pocket everyday? it seem safe but also can be use against us by cops interpretation right?
http://www.swissmar.com/can/active/wenger/ranger.htm

Added on May 22, 2012, 9:59 pm
only if use for self defense.
good info, i just wondering about this topic, to consider myself to bring any kind of weapon for family protection...
i got the baton/cota in my car, that just to big n heavy to bring along while walking....

later i wanna buy besball bat n store inside my home for protection...
hackwire
post May 24 2012, 03:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(alienfighter @ May 24 2012, 02:16 PM)
good info, i just wondering about this topic, to consider myself to bring any kind of weapon for family protection...
i got the baton/cota in my car, that just to big n heavy to bring along while walking....

later i wanna buy besball bat n store inside my home for protection...
i have pepper spray in the car and home but there's a problem with it. Instead of paralyzing the criminal action with pepper spray, it may provoke them further if the aggressor overcame the stink. I noticed the Bersih Video and many who got sprayed are still able to run around and not cripple on the spot. i begin to doubt pepper spray.

having a baton or baseball bat is not a total solution in combating a criminal who has a better weapon grade like parang or machete. u will only provoke them . if your weapon is not great don't even take it out.
alienfighter
post May 24 2012, 04:54 PM

On my way

QUOTE(hackwire @ May 24 2012, 03:12 PM)
i have pepper spray in the car and home but there's a problem with it. Instead of paralyzing the criminal action with pepper spray, it may provoke them further if the aggressor overcame the stink. I noticed the Bersih Video and many who got sprayed are still able to run around and not cripple on the spot. i begin to doubt pepper spray.

having a baton or baseball bat is not a total solution in combating a criminal who has a better weapon grade like parang or machete. u will only provoke them . if your weapon is not great don't even take it out.
i aware that, if we realize that our weapon can't compare to them, better don't try...
for me, the baton/baseball bat is a "at least" weapon to protect yourself..

my friend even store golf club in his car... hahhaa
vexus
post May 26 2012, 09:07 AM

Master of Eatery & Sleeping

use knife kill robber
chefjazzy
post May 27 2012, 04:42 PM

Group: Newbie

i always carry a paring knife with me and a 9inch chef knife as it in my bag the whole time.
mabaw
post May 28 2012, 05:07 PM

Getting Started

my experience or rather my dad n i
at this 1 time when i'm around 8/9 we got stop by police officer near the border.they check our car n when they ask us to step out for them to search the whole car my dad told them that we carry a parang right below the driver's seat.when ask why dad said something like this.
kreta bagi bini bawak, takut jugak dia bawa kreta balik malam sorang.
they police officer let us go.
Therapy88
post May 28 2012, 05:15 PM

Getting Started

once i travel with my bro n family, got roadblock then police saw the parang under the seat.. the police just told "sorok skit bang, sarung jgn lupa". if family car i think they also give consideration a bit..
hackwire
post May 30 2012, 11:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!

the problem with people carrying weapon like parang in the car is that when encounter with a welding robber, do they know how to use the parang or not. according to expert, most victim were murdered either by their own weapon or provoke the robber to kill them faster than they thought.

saladin7
post May 31 2012, 02:13 PM

Getting Started

How about kitchen knife. It is design to cut meat or fruits not to stab. Is it legal to bring it along?

This post has been edited by saladin7: May 31 2012, 02:14 PM
hackwire
post Jun 1 2012, 10:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!

yes understood. a knife has it purposes also. so bringing the knife that suit the objective has a solid ground to prove its purpose. a multi tool knife for urban and outdoor carry different message. so i guess , we don't want to get caught carrying some of the outdoor huge knife and tell the officer that your purpose of carrying this knife is to cut wood or safety belt.
yilian
post Jun 1 2012, 10:52 AM

legal lah, kalau " pisau mainan" (toy) rclxm9.gif brows.gif
trent666
post Sep 21 2012, 03:31 AM

Casual

Sorry for my long abscence from this thread. I've spoken to policemen and lawyers before on this topic and in conclusion, the application of the law in this country is, at best, inconsistent.

The fellows patrolling the streets and manning roadblocks range from the constables fresh out of Pulapol up until a Sergeant and the occasional Sergeant Major and Sub-Inspector out for... erm... fresh air.

So don't expect these people to know the exact details or nuances of the law or even the existence of a particular law, which I've experienced first hand before (non-knife related case. Don't worry, I was never charged. I'm innocent tongue.gif).

Ultimately, a lot will depend on how you explain during your 112 statement that the knife you are carrying was not designed, nor do you intend it, for lethal use.

Now, as pointed out by Low7, the SELF DEFENCE plea did not work in court. This is because there is no provisions in the CORROSIVE AND EXPLOSIVE SUBSTANCES AND OFFENSIVE WEAPONS ACT 1958, he should have explained that it was for work purposes and the judge would have to set him free.

Hackwire: I will not carry the Wenger Ranger. Long blade, pointed tip and single-handed operation does not help your case when you are in court.

The funny thing about criminal court is that: As the accused, the only thing you need to prove to the court is REASONABLE DOUBT. If your job requires you to cut boxes, carrying a pen knife is perfectly acceptable. If you are a sushi chef, you can explain that you need to bring the knife home for sharpening. I'm an angler. I always have a fishing rod in my boot. My leatherman's main purpose is to cut fishing line smile.gif

---

KEEPING WEAPONS IN YOUR CAR

As pointed out by some of you, yes, the police seem to turn a blind eye to the parangs, baseball bats and batons in a car. But not all the time. As mentioned by the others, there was reasons for this - "family car" etc. If it was a car with dodgy looking ahbengs/rajus/alis, it might be a different story.

I have a friend who keeps a bat in the car while my relative keeps a large screwdriver with a nicely homemade holder at the drivers seat. They have both been searched, but they were released after a few questions by the side of the road.

I conclude, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the police have reasons to believe that the two examples above do not have any illegitimate use of the items.

---

FINAL THOUGHTS

I'm keen on Benchmade and Spyderco. Problem is, they look really "ganas" and I don't think it can be part of my EDC.

Cheers!

This post has been edited by trent666: Sep 21 2012, 03:34 AM
myva
post Sep 21 2012, 09:55 AM

i use to have multipurpose pocket knnfe , my parents disilke i have, when i put didnt notice they took away like nothing happen
Mech Warrior 6
post Sep 21 2012, 04:29 PM

Casual

QUOTE(hackwire @ May 24 2012, 03:12 PM)

the pepper spray u have might be pirated goods.
try to get 1 from watson..or some other reputable self defense shop.
the 1 from watson, trust me, will put u down on bended knees even if you so much as take a sniff from 0.5mtr apart..
u can try experimenting it..
so long as it hit that person's face or upper body parts, there is NO way he can still stand.
The best way is to try it on urself. else i am jst a keyboard wrrior...
mengfart
post Sep 21 2012, 11:48 PM

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff Me Mana Kotol

Aiya.. cops in msia can catch you whenever they want la..

too thirsty for water jor.
tatsuhirohayashi
post Oct 3 2012, 11:31 PM

Details here:

My interpretation:

Conclusion:

Additional notes:

Once I was remanded for this stupid law. Why stupid? Because the police are given the rights to frisk you or simply check your transportations for "dangerous items" based on "suspicions" without a warrant. They wasted my time and energy just because I came back from a camping trip and forgot to stash my knife safely at home. They tried connecting me to the nearest reported cases involving knives as a weapon, and lucky thing there was no reported cases nearby the area I was in. They could've bring me to sessions court the next day and charge me straight on as there was no other cases to tie me on but they decided to ask the judge for a 7 day remand. Also lucky thing I asked for shorter remand times as I was still in college that time, so the judge gave the police 4 days to "investigate". They were supposed to put me through drug tests but it didn't happen, just a short harmless interrogation and fingerprinting. But what upsets me was the 4 + 1 days of being held in the holding cell with nothing to do. If I were to be remanded for 7 days boy I'd attempt to hang myself for going insane. Jails can make a person insane by making them stare into endless voids not knowing what day or what time it is outside.

As I got out, my bail was set to RM1.6k. Took me two friggin' years to clear off my case, luckily I had a lawyer who was willing to represent me pro-bono. One lawyer in PJ who advertises himself around the PJ Sessions Court as "Elvis Malaysia" was a legal "crack-lawyer" who charges damn expensively - to open up my file he wanted to charge me RM5k, not worth it at all for a small stupid case involving knives.

However, being a free-man again I would like to address how stupid are our outdated laws. Fine, bringing knives to public areas should go on as an offense but to give authorities the rights to search you and your property under mere suspicions without a warrant? I don't wanna come back to this country anymore, and if the govt wants to take away my citizenship I'd say go ahead, I don't like your political ideals and lifestyles anyways.
conxtion
post Oct 4 2012, 11:59 AM

Getting Started

Just to put things in perspective, pepper spray is used in US to defend against bears.
Czz
post Jan 5 2015, 10:52 AM

QUOTE(conxtion @ Oct 4 2012, 11:59 AM)
Just to put things in perspective, pepper spray is used in US to defend against bears.
Pepper spray and bear spray are two different things, as pepper spray is usually ranged at 10 feet is pocket sized while bear spray is rated with much more stopping power, ranged at around 30 feet and is not pocket sized and usually requires a belt hoster.

In the US, bear spray is usually only legal for carry in state parks with high risks of bear attacks, which is not a lot of them with the Northern states and Alaska being the exceptions; while pepper spray is legal to carry in most places as a self-defense tool (laws vary by states, counties and cities). For example, it is illegal to carry pepper spray in New York City, but in some other cities in the state of New York, it is legal to carry.

Knife laws vary too by state, county, and city laws and regulations (most of the times institution policies too, for e.g., university institutions). If you're interested in learning but these, just Google "knife laws by states in US" or "pepper spray laws by states" or even "gun laws by states".

I've lived in JB for 17 years growing up, near KL for bout 2 years before furthering my studies in the US. What I've been taught and what I've learn to stay safe or not to get slashed, stabbed or shot is, don't go out after dark, if you have to, avoid quite places, stay in busy areas. Avoid driving in quite, less traveled roads.

I carry a pocket knife while travelling in the US, but it's more of a convenience as a multi-purpose tool rather than a self-defense tool. You know what they say, "don't bring a knife to a gun fight". Yes, most of my friends in the US keep a gun in their glove box, and yes, it is legal in most places to do so. In the state of Indiana, "stand your ground" law does exist, that means if someone charges in your direction or continues approaching youeven if you've warn them not to, if you so feel like your safety has been threatened, you have committed no crime if you shoot the person dead with self-defense as the main reason. But of course, not a crime doesn't mean no consequences, you'll still be arrested and get a trial in court and it's ultimately up to the juries to determine if you're guilty. For those of you that didn't know, this might come as a cultural shock to you, I know it did to me when I first learned bout it.

Why am I telling you these? There's a lot of media influences from the US, particularly Hollywood, and the internet. The 3-inch blade law is not applicable in Malaysia, but it is applicable to most of the states in the US. Be aware of your rights and how far the extend of laws protects you from it. Know your surroundings and the culture. There's much more corruption in M'sia than there is in the US, that includes the peace officers and police officers. I wouldn't worry much while travelling in the US as the police there are very efficient and effective, with a few cities like Cleveland in Ohio, Gary in Indiana and Detroit, Michigan as exceptions. When I do need to visit places like Gary or Detroit, I just think of myself being back in JB, avoid dark alleys, keep your distance from passers-by, etc.

In conclusion, know your surroundings and local culture. Local as in by cities and regions, not nation. As like crime rate in JB is different from in George Town. Research in advance places you're planning on visiting, travel smart, as your head is your best weapon. Only fight if you can't avoid. That being avoid getting into a situation that would threaten your safety first, run if you could to avoid a fight, only attack if you have no other choice, and run at the first chance you get.

PS: For those of you that doesn't know how to use a pepper spray as I've read from the threads above, it's spray to disable your attacker and run at first chance, NOT spray and stay to see what happens next. Using a pepper spray is only giving yourself a headstart running away from danger.
VanishS
post Jan 5 2015, 12:44 PM

Getting Started

A fist is well within the law.
LingLingFat
post Jan 6 2015, 12:53 AM

Getting Started

i carry a butterfly multitool with me

the kind SWAT uses
TimesOfTrouble
post Apr 28 2017, 05:43 PM

As a former boy scout I am deeply interested in getting one of these pocket knives to use in the wilderness.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bomber...kni/description

Can this one pass kastam? If bole I want to buy it even if I can't carry it around the street, I plan to bring it with me whenever I go jungle trekking wif mai frens.

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1507sec    3.99    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 07:11 PM