Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

89 Pages « < 79 80 81 82 83 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Interview, What to prepare...

views

rsyn
post Feb 1 2018, 07:48 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(limao_air_tebu @ Feb 1 2018, 12:51 PM)
Memories? For me is impossible as My memory not good... and brain went blank even if I had practice.  cry.gif
BTW, what you prepare and how much time you invested to prepare for 1 interview?
Just keep practicing. It will be better after a few interviews. I used to practise for a few days and 1 to 2 hours a day for 1 interview. I started with writing all the answers for all kind of standard questions down and keep improving the answers. I read them out loud in the car or in front of my family and mirror. I keep the same note for many years (more than 10 years) and reuse it for every interviews. Now I don’t practise much, usually just review the skills they look for.

I don’t think I speak very well yet but at least I can self intro for 30 mins confidently.
limao_air_tebu
post Feb 2 2018, 02:11 PM

14 posts

QUOTE(rsyn @ Feb 1 2018, 07:48 PM)
Just keep practicing. It will be better after a few interviews. I used to practise for a few days and 1 to 2 hours a day for 1 interview. I started with writing all the answers for all kind of standard questions down and keep improving the answers. I read them out loud in the car or in front of my family and mirror. I keep the same note for many years (more than 10 years) and reuse it for every interviews. Now I don’t practise much, usually just review the skills they look for.

I don’t think I speak very well yet but at least I can self intro for 30 mins confidently.
Wow.... thx man,...
btw, how you answer tell me about yourself? What to say and what to include and how long it should be? (for both fresh and experience position)
Also, what can you see yourself in 5 years? (so annoying la this question... I dont know what I want also.... XD)
rsyn
post Feb 2 2018, 08:42 PM

22 posts

QUOTE(limao_air_tebu @ Feb 2 2018, 02:11 PM)
Wow.... thx man,...
btw, how you answer tell me about yourself? What to say and what to include and how long it should be? (for both fresh and experience position)
Also, what can you see yourself in 5 years? (so annoying la this question... I dont know what I want also.... XD)
You are welcome bro.

Usually I will lead the interview. I will shape it so that they can ask what I want them to. I will cover most of the standard questions in the self introduction and make a lot of hole/trap for them to ask what I plan, for example

"... I use Angular in my current job too. I witnessed the transition between all versions, from Angular 1 to 2 and now 4. I saw that one of the job requirements is AngularJS, so what version do you guys use here?"

That's a "trap" for interviewer. Depends on how they answer, you will have the chances to say 1 of these:

"Seriously? Angular 1? John, you miss the fun man, how can you not use the bootstrapping and the controller? blablabla How do you guys solve this problem in Angular 1? blablabla"
or
"Perfect! you use the mix of 2 and 4, they are the skills I'm confident with. I recently just complete a website with Angular 4. If you don't mind, I would like to show you some of my work. You can go to this link: blablabla"

Make it a conversation, lead them to where you want them to be rather than answer and full stop.

The most important thing is make friend with them, so that after the ice breaking part, when it's warm enough, you can say something like

"Come on, seriously? 5 years goal? 1 year ago bitcoin was still 1000 and now 18000, 2 year ago when I left my job we were still on Java 7, last I checked it's already 10! We are in the digital world, things changed so fast that what we plan 2~3 years ago are no longer valid now. My goal was to become a COBOL guru when I just graduated but I no one is using it nowadays. 5 years goal? Hmm... I've to start thinking now. I don't even know what I want to eat for lunch (make sure they know it's a joke, if they don't, tell them "i'm just joking"! And make sure it's warm enough to add these "humor" and "lansi" stuffs, if not it will become quite embarrassing). Having say that, I do have a life goal but it's not 5 years, I don't have a time for it, well, it looks more like a jinx than a goal. I'm a Chinese, Chinese culture is inherently more materialistic. There are 3 things that Chinese worship, longevity, good fortune and more money. Yes, MORE MONEY. We are money-centric. To be frank, all our goal evolved from this. Let's look at the standard answers on Google, you do know we can google all this standard questions right (With a smile on the face)? Let's look at each of the "best answers", which one is not indirectly or directly related to money and power? Why we want to work? Why we want to become a CEO? Why we want to become a Photoshop guru? Which one is not indirectly related to money and power? blablabla... In order to achieve this goal, I will have to break them into short term goals... blablabla... "

All these can be googled. Change them to your own answer, be yourself and keep rephrasing and fine tuning it. You will success.
zlancerz
post Feb 6 2018, 08:41 PM

35 posts

i still remember first interview wear so smart and prepare so much but stutter so much coz nervous. well, you get better over times no worry smile.gif
Eulm585
post Feb 21 2018, 03:31 AM

Enthusiast
818 posts

I dont know if this might help anyone. But personally for me. Even if im not looking for a job, every 6 months or so i will go on jobstreet and apply for jobs related to my job scope/career progression and attend one or two of the companies that request for an interview. The reasonning for this
1. The interview session will be a training ground for me so basically learn on how to conduct myself / read what the interviewer us looking for.
2. Able to see the salary range for my skill set.
3. Sometimes, i might get lucky and stumble upon a job that is worth the time.

But understand that even though i am not in a hurry for a new job. I do my due diligence in regards to the company / background of company / interviewer if known as if it was the job interview of a lifetime.

bunny65
post Feb 28 2018, 06:53 PM

Casual
332 posts

Had a Skype interview today with an Australian tech company for a graduate position (fresh grad) in Statistics/Data. Lasted approximately an hour.

Here are some of the questions I got (this list is not exhaustive as I could not remember every single detail of the interview blush.gif ):
1. Walk me through your degree. Describe to me what it is, and what you've learned throughout your studies.
1.1 What was the criteria for each scholarship you've received? Is there a bond period involved?
1.2 Why are you pursuing a thesis in something unrelated to statistics?
1.3 What is your thesis about? What makes it interesting? When is it due for submission?

2. What was your most enjoyable subject?
- I mentioned a subject where I did a stats project. She proceeded to ask me details about my project.
2.1. Talk me through your thought process when completing the project.
2.2. What was the project about? What were some of your findings?

3. What subject did you least enjoy out of the rest?

4. Why would you choose a tech company like ours, compared to bigger companies in the finance/commerce industry?

5. What do you have in mind for a typical/first day in the role of a graduate within our company?

6. Describe a scenario where you have been unable to fulfill your tasks by the given dateline.
6.1 How did you feel when you had to speak up to your employer(s) about difficulties in meeting the dateline?

7. Why did you choose to study in Australia? What made you decide on going overseas? Do you miss home?

8. Why mathematics and statistics?

9. Why did you choose to do this (arts/music/irrelevant) subject when it has nothing to do with math/stats?

10. What subjects are you currently taking this semester/session? Please elaborate in detail.

11. Have you ever had to change your personality/the way you work due to employer needs or something similar? If so, why?

12. What programming packages/languages have you picked up over your time in university? Please indicate your level of proficiency in each one.

13. We are looking to fill in this role as soon as possible, will you be able to come over for a couple of days a week while still studying at the university?

14. What are you salary expectations for a graduate role based in Sydney CBD?
- The market rate is currently between AUD50,000-60,000 per annum before tax.

15. Have you applied for any other graduate roles? Do you intend to apply for other companies as well?

16. Please enlighten me on your current visa status and future plans.

17. Any questions for me?
17.1 Would you like me to walk you through the structure of our company and further details with regards to the role you will be given? Hopefully, I will be able to answer any questions you have in mind as I go along.

That's all I can think of for now, the interview was quite challenging and exhausting in my opinion. Fun and enjoyable nonetheless, really grateful to have encountered such a nice and easygoing recruiter. (Tip: tone down your jargon - if the recruiter seems confused with technical terms, try your best to explain in layman terms!!)
Nevertheless, it served as a wonderful experience. Hope this helps smile.gif

Cheers!

This post has been edited by bunny65: Feb 28 2018, 07:04 PM
IXionI
post Mar 1 2018, 11:19 AM

Getting Started
127 posts

I joined food manufacturing company Y (subsidiary company) 1/2 year ago for Quality Control exec (kind of managing role for production department, confirmed right after usual probation period). However, production went hiatus for more than 2 months and the production operators were also relocated to work at other subsidiary companies.
Now, there is no news from upper management for future production.
I feel it’s time to move on to next job because I can’t afford to waste time and keep waiting for something uncertain (there is nothing to do at work because there is no production).

Regarding “Why did you quit your last job question”, is it okay for me to mention this reason of leaving the current job?

bunny65
post Mar 1 2018, 01:46 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(IXionI @ Mar 1 2018, 11:19 AM)
I joined food manufacturing company Y (subsidiary company) 1/2 year ago for Quality Control exec (kind of managing role for production department, confirmed right after usual probation period). However, production went hiatus for more than 2 months and the production operators were also relocated to work at other subsidiary companies.
Now, there is no news from upper management for future production.
I feel it’s time to move on to next job because I can’t afford to waste time and keep waiting for something uncertain (there is nothing to do at work because there is no production).
Regarding “Why did you quit your last job question”, is it okay for me to mention this reason of leaving the current job?
I'd say it's definitely okay to mention this as long as you are not trying to badmouth your current employer/company. Bring it up casually, but avoid dwelling on the negatives since it may reflect badly on your personality and/or attitude.

Be prepared to answer follow-up questions like (the following list is not exhaustive):
1. Was there anything you could have done to mitigate the problem?
2. What have you learned from this?
etc.

Be confident. It's nice to have an employee who looks forward and plans ahead (in your case, moving on).

Cheers.
SFF
post Mar 2 2018, 01:21 AM

Getting Started
113 posts

Is it rude if we request to reschedule the interview date?
bunny65
post Mar 2 2018, 04:59 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(wildrestark @ Mar 1 2018, 08:42 PM)
i have a question on the day of interview. do you have to bring along your certificates on the day itself?

do you guys do that ? showing the original copy or photocopy ?
I thought having a resume is good enough .
Your best bet? Call them up and ask biggrin.gif

Personally, I'd rather have them on me than not just in case your interviewer(s) wants to verify your claims. Having them organized in a nice clear-folder can show that you have attention to detail, and that you make an effort to go the extra mile.

If you have too many certificates such that it is difficult for you to carry both originals and photocopies, bring your originals. If they want to keep photocopies for themselves, you could provide them the photocopies later (in my case they took the originals and photocopied them with their own photocopier).

Then again, being invited to the interview day itself most probably means that you are already academically qualified such that your certifications/transcripts would no longer be relevant at later stages.

Good luck!

This post has been edited by bunny65: Mar 2 2018, 05:00 PM
sweet_pez
post Mar 2 2018, 05:19 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(SFF @ Mar 2 2018, 01:21 AM)
Is it rude if we request to reschedule the interview date?
It's not, but if possible tell them a good reason for rescheduling. This is better done through email and then follow up with a phone call.
Trait0r
post Mar 3 2018, 06:50 AM

Getting Started
65 posts

Hi I am having sort of a dilemma with an interview appointment. Long story short

1. Applied through jobs apps
2. Company called and interview date was set up. Interview is to be in 1 business day
3. HR said will drop an email on details and stuff needed to be prepared
4. But email wasn't received at all, checked in spam folder too and no emails seen and interview day is approaching
5. Practically called whole day to the HR but no answer
6. Finally a colleague answered the phone and says person in charge is not around and will ask him to call me back
7. It's night time and still no call from HR, no emails too. Only a verbal appointment with no details of who I need to liaise during interview or which floor I need to go to
8. Do i still go to this interview? I know the place and time and that's it. If I do not show up, I'm afraid they would tag me as ffk

This post has been edited by Trait0r: Mar 3 2018, 06:52 AM
Trait0r
post Mar 3 2018, 04:35 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

QUOTE(wildrestark @ Mar 3 2018, 04:28 PM)
Firstly.

How can interview date is setup without time?
Assuming, just the date was setup and HR didn't provide the time. You can just email to the HR concerned that you have call her countless of time to get the time. It's not your fault.
Just email to her to request reschedule in 2 days time. If still no response. move on.
Time was confirmed verbally, just that other details like the application form and stuff was not sent via email. I don't even hv their email because everything was verbally confirmed and that they promised to send further details via email but didn't.

The only mode of contact I have with the person in charge is phone number which nobody answers

This post has been edited by Trait0r: Mar 3 2018, 04:37 PM
Trait0r
post Mar 3 2018, 04:56 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

QUOTE(wildrestark @ Mar 3 2018, 04:38 PM)
then just go on the fixed time, the rest will fall back when face to face. its their fault for not communicating properly. when u r there, u can do it . sometimes , these thing may be too minor only so no big deal. the day u appear superseded this small issu.e

ps. one more thing. it might be a test u never know.

drop an email , give one last call and leave a message to someone, get his name and u r done.
Thanks, ur advice is much appreciated

This post has been edited by Trait0r: Mar 3 2018, 04:57 PM
IXionI
post Mar 5 2018, 12:31 PM

Getting Started
127 posts

QUOTE(bunny65 @ Mar 1 2018, 01:46 PM)
I'd say it's definitely okay to mention this as long as you are not trying to badmouth your current employer/company. Bring it up casually, but avoid dwelling on the negatives since it may reflect badly on your personality and/or attitude.

Be prepared to answer follow-up questions like (the following list is not exhaustive):
1. Was there anything you could have done to mitigate the problem?
2. What have you learned from this?
etc.

Be confident. It's nice to have an employee who looks forward and plans ahead (in your case, moving on).

Cheers.
Thanks for your advice smile.gif
bunny65
post Mar 5 2018, 06:21 PM

Casual
332 posts

Following-up from my last interview - I passed the Skype interview (post #1610)!! rclxms.gif

Two days after the Skype call, the recruiter scheduled me for an in-person interview with the company founders, CTO and (potential) team leader. Started today at 10AM and lasted approximately an hour and a half.

The first part of the interview involved only the CTO and team leader. Some of the questions they asked were repetitive of what I was asked during the Skype call since they weren't involved in the first interview. Some questions (couldn't remember them all, sorry!):
- We want to look at why some people ignore jobs that are offered to them through our platform. With all the data we have, what would you consider for analysis and how?
- In the US, users tend to indicate that they are willing to travel up to 30 miles for work. What do you think the actual median is? (surprisingly, it was 3.5 miles!!!)
- We do not expect you to have any programming/database background as a maths/stats grad. Would you enlighten us as to whether or not you have any intentions of learning how to program?
- As a statistician, would you prefer to work solely on the analysis of data, or does 50% programming + 50% statistics sound like something you would consider? Which would you prefer? (Interviewer says that it's okay to choose the former, but the 'right' answer is the latter!!!)
- Please describe to us, if any, a situation where you have been unable to meet a dateline. What was your response? How did you feel about it?
- Why did you choose to apply for our company?
- Why have you withdrawn from some of your subjects?
- (Note: I am learning Python on my own) How/Which website do you use for your Python self-study? Did you find it difficult?
- What was your favourite subject?
- This role involves a lot of team work, as well as going off on your own to do even more work. Describe to me how you function in a team setting.
- How was your commute? Do you drive? Did you catch the train or the bus?

I asked the following questions:
1. Since I still have a few months before graduating, are there any external skills I should start working on before jumping into employment? (Note this excludes subjects that I have already/am currently undertaking at university - they gave me a list of programming languages and packages to look up, and encouraged me to prioritize learning SQL)
2. Could you describe to me what a typical work day would be like for an employee in the data team?
3. What makes your company stand out from the rest of your competitors in the same market, and why?

I met with the company founders for a short 15 minutes chat:
- Have you applied for any other companies? If yes, which ones? Westpac banking? The Big 4?
- What made you apply to us in the first place?
- What do you want to be eventually at the top of your career? A teacher? A manager?
- Would you prefer to work solely on the analysis of data, or does 50% programming + 50% statistics sound like something you would consider? Which would you prefer? (Note here that I've been asked this question before! In fact, one of the founders mentioned the importance of self-resilience after my response - a.k.a. not relying on others to do the work for you.)
- I see that you are from Malaysia, has Australian education been more difficult or easier in your opinion?
- Since coming to Australia, what differences have you noticed from our education system compared to Malaysia?
- In Malaysia, would you consider yourself to be in the Top 1%? Top 10%? Top 25%? Where do you think you stand?
- If we give your thesis supervisor a call, how would he/she describe you?

Phew! Honestly, I was extremely nervous before the interview that I could not sleep the night before! The recruiter from my Skype interview met up with me, reassuring me that the people I spoke to were some of the nicest people and that conversation would be casual (NOT!!!). In all honesty, this interview has been extremely eye-opening and thought provoking.

Hopefully, this would help someone looking for a fresh grad position in the field of maths/stats/data.

P.S. They are looking to hire software and/or database developers (valid Australian working rights only)! Hit me up if you're interested smile.gif

skyshooter123
post Mar 14 2018, 01:49 AM

1 posts

Anyone get interviewed by Texas instrument before for intern? Like what kind of questions to expect.
sweet_pez
post Mar 14 2018, 09:50 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(skyshooter123 @ Mar 14 2018, 01:49 AM)
Anyone get interviewed by Texas instrument before for intern? Like what kind of questions to expect.
Read this thread from Page 1 post #1 until page 85 post #1697 and I'm sure you will ace your interview.

Also read this https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/158449 from page #1 to page #97. You will certainly double ace it.

Now, don't be lazy and expect to be spoonfed when all the answers are already here. Do this again and I'll delete your thread without hesitation next time.
DozeMeWithTea
post Mar 14 2018, 09:58 AM

Getting Started
106 posts

What's the best way to answer employer when I only went halfway through my diploma or degree or Master.

Don't know how to answer.
sweet_pez
post Mar 14 2018, 10:07 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(DozeMeWithTea @ Mar 14 2018, 09:58 AM)
What's the best way to answer employer when I only went halfway through my diploma or degree or Master.

Don't know how to answer.
Just be honest. There isn't a model answer for circumstantial questions. And if you lie, be sure it'll bite you in the back one day.

89 Pages « < 79 80 81 82 83 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0218sec    0.18    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:36 PM