Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Fitness Tracking Appliances

views

SUSPS3.Gamer
post May 7 2012, 05:17 AM, updated 12y ago

Getting Started
118 posts

Hi, I am going to start a very serious exercise regime that mainly focuses on jogging and cycling.

I'd like to purchase a fitness tracking device. I was told to check out the Nike+ devices, but have a quick question and am hoping fitness gurus can help me out.

Is there a device out there that works with both jogging AND cycling?

I'm not really sure where to look for these things, so I'd appreciate some help.

I was looking at the Nike+ Fuel Band, but I don't think it works with cycling.

Anyway, brands don't really bother me, I just want something that works with jogging and cycling.

I DON'T have an iPhone or the latest iPod Nano, so I can't use Nike's apps (but it works with the PC too).

I'd need one that works with my PC.

Please help me out here.

I'm in UK for the week, so I have a better chance of finding products here I guess.

EDIT: This Fitbit is very impressive. I'm leaning more towards this now, as it tracks your sleep too (I tend to oversleep, this is like a bonus for me!) Anyone use this before?

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

EDIT 2: There's the Jawbone UP too. Looks cooler, as it vibrates to wake you up at the best time when you have had a good amount of sleep. But it requires an iOS device to function, and I don't have one. Without an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, the Jawbone UP is useless.

This post has been edited by PS3.Gamer: May 7 2012, 03:02 PM
danielmattson
post May 7 2012, 07:42 AM

Regular
1,001 posts

I'm not sure but this sit might help you. - http://www.geekosity.org/2012/04/fit-stay-...tness-apps-ios/
tengster
post May 7 2012, 01:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,612 posts

You didnt mention shoe... You have shoes already?

hmmm...technology is good, but good pair of shoe can allow you to run comfortable and try as much to evade injuries....
myremi
post May 7 2012, 01:47 PM

Regular
1,846 posts

You could try the Polar trackers. If you're in KL, goto Athlete's Circle at Jaya ONE. They are next to CIMB bank. http://www.athletescircle.com/shop/categor...ining-computer/

They are the distributor for Polar brand. They are cheaper than Fitness Concept and you could ask them for a discount off the listed price.

You would have to buy a few devices because you're doing both running and cycling. Depends on whether you're measuring distance or calories.

I bought their Polar Watch and Flowlink to sync to their polarpersonaltrainer.com website to get charts of my progress.
Sky.Live
post May 7 2012, 02:11 PM

Proctected Species
4,383 posts

myremi, long time no see!
can you show me some link how polar website interface is.. erm sort of your workout graphs and data output..

Fitness exercise:
Tracking wise, if you are doing cardio (cycle, run, swim) a stopwatch is usually good enough..

But if you are someone who likes numbers like me: GPS watch comes to play - try getting watch like polar RCX-5, Timex Global trainer, Timex Marathon, Garmin 610 or 910xt etc.

These are GPS recording devices. Usually in a form of watch.. You can use your handphone for that purposes too.

Next it would come to sensors:
For all exercises, Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) is very useful to track your performance.

Running - Footpod, kinda useful when you cant get satellite signal - eg running on trackmill, or a very dense jungle trail. It also record your cadences and distance fairy accurately.

Cycle - cadence/speed sensor - cadence is very useful when you are training, speed requires no further explanation i guess.

Nike band doesn't favour multiple sport as I observe,
SUSPS3.Gamer
post May 7 2012, 03:03 PM

Getting Started
118 posts

QUOTE(danielmattson @ May 7 2012, 07:42 AM)
I'm not sure but this sit might help you. - http://www.geekosity.org/2012/04/fit-stay-...tness-apps-ios/
Actually, I don't have an iOS device. I can't use those. I need a physical tracker.

Added on May 7, 2012, 3:05 pm
QUOTE(tengster @ May 7 2012, 01:28 PM)
You didnt mention shoe... You have shoes already?

hmmm...technology is good, but good pair of shoe can allow you to run comfortable and try as much to evade injuries....
I don't have a shoe yet, no. I'm just going to get a simple running shoe. Will check out Studio R or something? Actually, now that you are at it, where to get proper shoes being sold my salesmen that can give me advice too?

Added on May 7, 2012, 3:09 pm
QUOTE(myremi @ May 7 2012, 01:47 PM)
You could try the Polar trackers. If you're in KL, goto Athlete's Circle at Jaya ONE. They are next to CIMB bank. http://www.athletescircle.com/shop/categor...ining-computer/

They are the distributor for Polar brand. They are cheaper than Fitness Concept and you could ask them for a discount off the listed price.

You would have to buy a few devices because you're doing both running and cycling. Depends on whether you're measuring distance or calories.

I bought their Polar Watch and Flowlink to sync to their polarpersonaltrainer.com website to get charts of my progress.
Hey, thanks for that website man! The options are plenty, and I think I'll definitely find what I'm looking for from them! Will check out Athlete's Circle too. This is great, thanks again!

Added on May 7, 2012, 3:11 pm
QUOTE(Sky.Live @ May 7 2012, 02:11 PM)
myremi, long time no see!
can you show me some link how polar website interface is.. erm sort of your workout graphs and data output..

Fitness exercise:
Tracking wise, if you are doing cardio (cycle, run, swim) a stopwatch is usually good enough..

But if you are someone who likes numbers like me: GPS watch comes to play - try getting watch like polar RCX-5, Timex Global trainer, Timex Marathon, Garmin 610 or 910xt etc.

These are GPS recording devices. Usually in a form of watch.. You can use your handphone for that purposes too.

Next it would come to sensors:
For all exercises, Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) is very useful to track your performance.

Running - Footpod, kinda useful when you cant get satellite signal - eg running on trackmill, or a very dense jungle trail. It also record your cadences and distance fairy accurately.

Cycle - cadence/speed sensor - cadence is very useful when you are training, speed requires no further explanation i guess.

Nike band doesn't favour multiple sport as I observe,
I'm more concerned about tracking calories and such, not so much interested in the GPS. It seems like I may need more than one device.

This post has been edited by PS3.Gamer: May 7 2012, 03:11 PM
myremi
post May 7 2012, 09:01 PM

Regular
1,846 posts

Hi Sky.Live! I'm around, just not posting as often on LYN forums anymore because of too many trolls. So I pop by once in awhile.

I do more intervals now but mostly at gym to use the cardio machines since I still can't run/jog for long periods. So I do it ala Big Loser Style - incline intervals mostly. smile.gif I use Polar brand since it syncs with most gym equipment so even when I'm travelling, I can use it with other gym equipment. Since I do only gym activities, I chose FT40 although my coach uses the more high-ends one with more features. FT40 was the cheapest gym watch that could sync with polarpersonaltrainer.com. I bought a cheaper one once and it wouldn't sync. sad.gif

Attached Image

I mostly use the watch to check that I hit 1000 kcal done in a 1 hr workout. So I'm mostly training at higher HR to hit that levels. Plus, I go for fitness classes (1 hr) and then 1 hr cardio afterwards. This overview is for one year for my calories to see if there was an increasing trend. I only just started a month back to try to hit 1K kcal workout. Prior to that, it was mostly 400 kcal, then 800 kcal as I got stronger. Plus, with a HRM, it was easy for me to have a target to meet while exercising (I'm lazy).

Attached Image

This one is mostly to remind me whether I've been to the gym as frequent as I should. I try to go 6x a week i.e. 1 hr fitness classes and 1 hr cardio after that. If during weekends, I go for 1 hr weights + 1 hr cardio. I do weights first because when I cardio, my core is not stable anymore. My fitness classes aren't quite aerobics. It's mostly a mixture of different movements and activities. My favourite is Core Iron Muscle which is like Body Pump. I ache for 2 days after that but my muscles are firmer and I like lifting weights. smile.gif The instructor doesn't let us cheat so the ladies are lifting heavy. My target is to lift move frequently and more outside of the fitness classes so that I'm not sore anymore! It may have to be when I can squat pass 17.5 kg.

Attached Image

Training load - to see whether I'm training intensively or not. Because my weight yo-yos, my coach is pushing me hard. >.>

I stop using the footpad because I got lazy to strap it on and tie my shoes tight. Takes me 5 min to tie my shoes coz I'm making it very tight to hold my insoles in and I have very strong pronation so I don't want the shoe to move around while I'm moving fast.

Because of that pronation (I have flat feet that arch on left foot is completely collapsed urgh), I change shoes every 6-8 months (expensive at RM300-400 a pair >.<). With my broad feet, I wear New Balance which I get either in Singapore or KL when I go on my business trips. I didn't buy the NIKE sensor because the NIKE shoes are too small for me. My toenails bleed when I stuck my feet in. So no NIKE sensors. I have one outdoor pair and one indoor pair. Once the back heel portion weakens, I can feel pain near my knees and inner thighs that i know it's time to change. Either that or get new insoles (every 8 months, RM700) which help me heal faster with my slipped disc.

One thing about HRM monitors, the batteries are probably good for 6-12 months before you need to change them. RM50 for the watch and sensor. Also, if your strap breaks, just pay about RM90 (I think) to Athlete's Circle and they will replace it for you. If you're living out of KL, can poslaju it to them and pay RM10 courier fee that they will send it back to you. Goto the shop and try out a HRM. I think their renovations would have finish and they usually have a treadmill for you to try it out.

Bear in mind that I'm not a normal person though and I hate pain. So I dealt with the pain so that I can be strong to exercise.
Sky.Live
post May 8 2012, 11:51 AM

Proctected Species
4,383 posts

QUOTE(myremi @ May 7 2012, 09:01 PM)
Hi Sky.Live! I'm around, just not posting as often on LYN forums anymore because of too many trolls. So I pop by once in awhile.

I do more intervals now but mostly at gym to use the cardio machines since I still can't run/jog for long periods. So I do it ala Big Loser Style - incline intervals mostly. smile.gif I use Polar brand since it syncs with most gym equipment so even when I'm travelling, I can use it with other gym equipment. Since I do only gym activities, I chose FT40 although my coach uses the more high-ends one with more features. FT40 was the cheapest gym watch that could sync with polarpersonaltrainer.com. I bought a cheaper one once and it wouldn't sync. sad.gif

Attached Image

I mostly use the watch to check that I hit 1000 kcal done in a 1 hr workout. So I'm mostly training at higher HR to hit that levels. Plus, I go for fitness classes (1 hr) and then 1 hr cardio afterwards. This overview is for one year for my calories to see if there was an increasing trend. I only just started a month back to try to hit 1K kcal workout. Prior to that, it was mostly 400 kcal, then 800 kcal as I got stronger. Plus, with a HRM, it was easy for me to have a target to meet while exercising (I'm lazy).

Attached Image

This one is mostly to remind me whether I've been to the gym as frequent as I should. I try to go 6x a week i.e. 1 hr fitness classes and 1 hr cardio after that. If during weekends, I go for 1 hr weights + 1 hr cardio. I do weights first because when I cardio, my core is not stable anymore. My fitness classes aren't quite aerobics. It's mostly a mixture of different movements and activities. My favourite is Core Iron Muscle which is like Body Pump. I ache for 2 days after that but my muscles are firmer and I like lifting weights. smile.gif The instructor doesn't let us cheat so the ladies are lifting heavy. My target is to lift move frequently and more outside of the fitness classes so that I'm not sore anymore! It may have to be when I can squat pass 17.5 kg.

Attached Image

Training load - to see whether I'm training intensively or not. Because my weight yo-yos, my coach is pushing me hard. >.>

I stop using the footpad because I got lazy to strap it on and tie my shoes tight. Takes me 5 min to tie my shoes coz I'm making it very tight to hold my insoles in  and I have very strong pronation so I don't want the shoe to move around while I'm moving fast.

Because of that pronation (I have flat feet that arch on left foot is completely collapsed urgh), I change shoes every 6-8 months (expensive at RM300-400 a pair >.<). With my broad feet, I wear New Balance which I get either in Singapore or KL when I go on my business trips. I didn't buy the NIKE sensor because the NIKE shoes are too small for me. My toenails bleed when I stuck my feet in. So no NIKE sensors. I have one outdoor pair and one indoor pair. Once the back heel portion weakens, I can feel pain near my knees and inner thighs that i know it's time to change. Either that or get new insoles (every 8 months, RM700) which help me heal faster with my slipped disc.

One thing about HRM monitors, the batteries are probably good for 6-12 months before you need to change them. RM50 for the watch and sensor. Also, if your strap breaks, just pay about RM90 (I think) to Athlete's Circle and they will replace it for you. If you're living out of KL, can poslaju it to them and pay RM10 courier fee that they will send it back to you. Goto the shop and try out a HRM. I think their renovations would have finish and they usually have a treadmill for you to try it out.

Bear in mind that I'm not a normal person though and I hate pain. So I dealt with the pain so that I can be strong to exercise.
Good to see you again, remember back then it's how I started my fitness thingy. I sort of abandoned the eat healthy thingy - food craving.. now stuck in the you cant out-train a bad diet. Gain back the weight I lost, but recently just manage to loose it again.

Still hates gym and treadmill so I am doing everything outdoor, hiking, running, swimming, cycling.. Need to start incorporating strength training soon, it's holding back my performance due to lack of strength on longer distance. I felt completely out of strength during my 6.5km swim last week. Thinking of going free body or a simple dumbell at home for a start.

What exercise are you doing as you are recording that? so much spikes or HR zone, looks like lifting to me. on HR i wonder if I should change my HR straps, I have been experiencing some HR spikes during my runs. kinda shocked when i do post analysis on my run (I know my condition is not well before the run but that's the scariest heart rate zone I ever encountered)

On the polar interface, it looks sophisticated and well analysed. I am interested to get Polar RCX5 actually but it doesn't seems to be really popular around compare to Garmin.

myremi
post May 8 2012, 01:27 PM

Regular
1,846 posts

Lifting doesn't give me spikes. The spikes are the total for each workout session, not the intervals lah! The reason for the spikes is because the graphs are based on date & time.

It's very hard for my HR to go past 150 bpm after a week of training. Have to push myself hard or attend the fitness classes. Even some of the cardio classes where I used to be 160 bpm, are now at 140-160 bpm unless I start jumping. Then it moves.

I don't have the discipline to do circuit training with strength so what I do is :
-go for "Core Iron Muscle" classes which are equivalent to the Les Mis Body Pump classes. Less weight, more reps and you'll experience DOM effect for the next two days if you're lifting hard and in good form. Hard as in that enough repetitions is making you tired. I started with 20 lbs. One time, she got us to squat while trying to balance on a reebok core board and my stomach was whack for the next few days.
-every alternate day, I do strength training on my own based on a plan that my coach sets for me. 2 exercises each for arms, abdominals and legs. These trainings are mostly functional where I'm working my core at the same time i.e. a lot of balancing work while lifting.

Hiking works as long as you push yourself hard and do a lot of lunging / big strides. If you do a lot of the primal movements, you should be fine. These are the exercises that you'll find will naturally strengthen your body and by the natives in Sabah & Sarawak are so much stronger than the gym goers even though they are lean. http://functionaltrainer.co.za/blog/?p=21

For HRM, it's up to you. Why I went with Polar -> a lot of gym equipment could interface with it easily. Plus, it was one of the more established HRM around although Suunto is also moving up in the market. Garmin started as a GPS sensor, I think and it seemed more pricey. I didn't need GPS because location tracking wasn't for me. I was more interested in reaching the 80% HR region and total calories.

For HR spikes, my coach said that as long as I don't hit 200 bpm, I should be fine. So when I don't exercise for a week, my HR can hit 172-175 but after a week of frequent training, it's down to 140-150 bpm.

Added on May 8, 2012, 1:30 pmAs for weight, hmm..... I find that I have more muscles now so I have a better body shape compared to before. Haha! That's why can change profile picture now. >.>

But at times, I'm also lazy so my body can also go whack. I find that I need to change my exercises to new ones to keep my interest going in the gym. At the same time, I suffer from extreme heaty-ness that I still haven't quite figure out a way to cool down my body after all these intensive training.

You should have seen the pictures of when I went for kuat-suah. Looked like I was an abuse victim but in reality, it was from the scrapping and cupping. Too much internal heat buildup over the years since young. I'm probably due for another one because got sick yesterday with giddiness.

This post has been edited by myremi: May 8 2012, 01:30 PM
Sky.Live
post May 8 2012, 01:39 PM

Proctected Species
4,383 posts

QUOTE(myremi @ May 8 2012, 01:27 PM)
Lifting doesn't give me spikes. The spikes are the total for each workout session, not the intervals lah! The reason for the spikes is because the graphs are based on date & time.

It's very hard for my HR to go past 150 bpm after a week of training. Have to push myself hard or attend the fitness classes. Even some of the cardio classes where I used to be 160 bpm, are now at 140-160 bpm unless I start jumping. Then it moves.

I don't have the discipline to do circuit training with strength so what I do is :
-go for "Core Iron Muscle" classes which are equivalent to the Les Mis Body Pump classes. Less weight, more reps and you'll experience DOM effect for the next two days if you're lifting hard and in good form. Hard as in that enough repetitions is making you tired. I started with 20 lbs. One time, she got us to squat while trying to balance on a reebok core board and my stomach was whack for the next few days.
-every alternate day, I do strength training on my own based on a plan that my coach sets for me. 2 exercises each for arms, abdominals and legs. These trainings are mostly functional where I'm working my core at the same time i.e. a lot of balancing work while lifting.

Hiking works as long as you push yourself hard and do a lot of lunging / big strides. If you do a lot of the primal movements, you should be fine. These are the exercises that you'll find will naturally strengthen your body and by the natives in Sabah & Sarawak are so much stronger than the gym goers even though they are lean. http://functionaltrainer.co.za/blog/?p=21

For HRM, it's up to you. Why I went with Polar -> a lot of gym equipment could interface with it easily. Plus, it was one of the more established HRM around although Suunto is also moving up in the market. Garmin started as a GPS sensor, I think and it seemed more pricey. I didn't need GPS because location tracking wasn't for me. I was more interested in reaching the 80% HR region and total calories.

For HR spikes, my coach said that as long as I don't hit 200 bpm, I should be fine. So when I don't exercise for a week, my HR can hit 172-175 but after a week of frequent training, it's down to 140-150 bpm.

Added on May 8, 2012, 1:30 pmAs for weight, hmm..... I find that I have more muscles now so I have a better body shape compared to before. Haha! That's why can change profile picture now. >.>

But at times, I'm also lazy so my body can also go whack. I find that I need to change my exercises to new ones to keep my interest going in the gym. At the same time, I suffer from extreme heaty-ness that I still haven't quite figure out a way to cool down my body after all these intensive training.

You should have seen the pictures of when I went for kuat-suah. Looked like I was an abuse victim but in reality, it was from the scrapping and cupping. Too much internal heat buildup over the years since young. I'm probably due for another one because got sick yesterday with giddiness.
Heard it great for your story, i uploaded my ENR run's workout, don't freak out when you see the graphs. 214 max hr haha..
Attached Image
Link: Energiser 2012 15.5km run

By the way, don't do hiking with big strides, hurts your knee a lot. Keep it baby steps, cadence is the key, be it cycling running, swimming is different tho.

my weight hmm, not much differences from 2 years ago.. but body fat used to be 33% now sub 25%, still high for a men but looking forward for more in near future. BP on the high side tho.

Going into sport massage, which is my first massage in life it's like 2 hours of torture chamber.

myremi
post May 9 2012, 11:29 AM

Regular
1,846 posts

Hee hee! Then you're like an elite athlete now. smile.gif Me, I have a history of high blood pressure so I'm careful not to go overboard.

Hiking in big strides - when the terrain warrants it. If your knee is hurting, are you sure it's your kneecap or IT band? I found that as I gain more flexibility, my knees ache a hell lot less. But to get more flexible, it was letting go of a lot of worries and anger with a lot of stretching exercises.

Added on May 9, 2012, 11:32 amAbout knee pain and hamstrings, my coach mentioned yesterday that it takes a very long time for them to relax after a back injury. I'm nearly able to bend and touch my toes now and I don't ever remember being able to do that even as a child!

This post has been edited by myremi: May 9 2012, 11:32 AM
aaronpang
post May 9 2012, 12:40 PM

Cat Exterminator
1,973 posts

QUOTE(PS3.Gamer @ May 7 2012, 05:17 AM)
Hi, I am going to start a very serious exercise regime that mainly focuses on jogging and cycling.

I'd like to purchase a fitness tracking device. I was told to check out the Nike+ devices, but have a quick question and am hoping fitness gurus can help me out.

Is there a device out there that works with both jogging AND cycling?

Just sharing I'm using a Garmin FR 610 for fitness tracking. It has modes for both Running and Cycling thumbup.gif

Expect to pay under RM1200, Garmin 610 also compatible with devices that supports ANT+

Adidas MiCoach Foot pod
Bicycle Cadence Sensor
Weight Scales
Heart Rate Monitors
etc...

Check here for a list of compatible devices.

http://www.aeco.com.my/forerunner-610.html

user posted image

It's small and easy to use. Since I jog outside mostly at night the back-light is very handy.

For a more in-depth review of the Garmin FR610 and other sport watches check out the following blog

DC Rainmaker

Hope this helps!

This post has been edited by aaronpang: May 9 2012, 12:45 PM
munlok30
post Jun 28 2016, 01:54 PM

PinkyBoyDays
1,073 posts

Hello =p

borrow your thread since it is related to my topic

good afternoon guys ~

can you suggest me a local fitness tracker which can track BLOOD PRESSURE as well ??

any brand and any model ... price lower is better =p ..

kindly tag me back if you know .
helven
post Jun 29 2016, 05:34 PM

Doko Online
919 posts

QUOTE(munlok30 @ Jun 28 2016, 01:54 PM)
Hello =p

borrow your thread since it is related to my topic

good afternoon guys ~

can you suggest me a local fitness tracker which can track BLOOD PRESSURE as well ??

any brand and any model ... price lower is better =p ..

kindly tag me back if you know .
The necromancer power is so strong I cant even breath thumbsup.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0145sec    0.42    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:19 PM