5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Working in Hong Kong

views

TSaVexRikuu
post Jan 24 2013, 07:54 PM

Getting Started
231 posts

i brought MYR10K to hongkong to start off the month. but only spend MYR6K before i got my first salary which was 1.5months later cos i started mid month.

rental and deposit really depends on what type of apartment u stay and how u got it. if go thru agent must pay agent fees 0.5-1 month. I'm staying at a service apartment that requires just HKD1K deposit and I went direct so 0 agent fees.

working permit is sponsored by company. my first flight here also sponsored but after that come back Msia is ownself pay so take airasia lol.
mercury8400
post Jan 24 2013, 10:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,703 posts

QUOTE(aVexRikuu @ Jan 23 2013, 10:21 PM)
6 months in hongkong since i came here, alot of what cute_boboi said is damn right. LKF is overrated, im bored of it already.

lunch time is pack like sardin, everybody must share table and squeeze. most of the time i pack back to office eat. order slowly kena scold by waitress. dont know how to order also kena scold. basically you must know what you want to eat and order asap. am getting sick of HK food already, really super alot MSG. miss malaysia food alot.

alot of all the hot chics here are mainly from china, so sometimes hard to tell the diff if they speak english but once they speak chinese then you will know.

transport as said by cute_boboi is super efficient. taxi is generally consider cheap as well for HK standards but you must be brave because all taxi drive like f1 and like rushing home for sex.

rental will cost you at least 1/3 of your salary if not more...

if anybody living in hk and is interested for a game of football, i found this webby casualfootball.net which host football games every week.

lastly, im working for a media company on private equity.
Wow congrats! You survived for 6 months.
I actually worked based in HK for a project suppose for a year but after about 6 months i really cannot tahan.
I asked to be transferred to SG instead.

I cannot stand the working and lifestyle there. Like you say everything is fast paced, packed even on weekends and there is practically no place to relax.
House is small apartment room which just enough to fit a single bed and mini wardrobe with no space to walk. You don't really feel like staying at home most of the time.
Streets are filled with people and jam packed. Restaurants all have long queues and its mighty hard to get a place for lunch/dinner time. Most of the time tarpau.
Bosses and collegue all very stressed and worked up. Politics is heavy.
People in HK wake up early to get to work and stay back late in office coz don't want to go back to their small apartments also want to look good i.e. hardworking.
Winter is nice but summer is hot and humid like hell.
Salary is ok coz i get paid in SGD converted into HKD which is about 6x. But after rent accounts for 1/3 of my salary. The you add food, flight tickets home, entertainment (they like to go pub to drink) etc don't get to save much also....

TSaVexRikuu
post Feb 25 2013, 08:56 PM

Getting Started
231 posts

anybody in hong kong wanna go yumcha / watch epl ? home tv dont have soccer cos need additional subscription..so need to go pubs.
HappyA_Q
post Feb 26 2013, 06:49 AM

Enthusiast
782 posts

I have wanted to work in HK before, but after reading this thread, I don't think I will want to go there... currently on my work assignment to NZ.

Probably too much influences from TVB and its entertainment industry, makes me wanted to try working there. But with small apartment, jam-packed food courts, rushing here and there, this makes life really stressful.

Malaysia possibly is best (put aside its politics issues).
Ixis
post Feb 27 2013, 04:37 AM

Getting Started
64 posts

QUOTE(HappyA_Q @ Feb 26 2013, 06:49 AM)
I have wanted to work in HK before, but after reading this thread, I don't think I will want to go there... currently on my work assignment to NZ.

Probably too much influences from TVB and its entertainment industry, makes me wanted to try working there. But with small apartment, jam-packed food courts, rushing here and there, this makes life really stressful.

I currently 30 years old liao !! Still got chance go NZ working there ?? May i know how much they paid per month ??

hmm.gif
w33wawa
post Feb 27 2013, 02:35 PM

Getting Started
148 posts

QUOTE(aVexRikuu @ Jan 24 2013, 07:54 PM)
i brought MYR10K to hongkong to start off the month. but only spend MYR6K before i got my first salary which was 1.5months later cos i started mid month.

rental and deposit really depends on what type of apartment u stay and how u got it. if go thru agent must pay agent fees 0.5-1 month. I'm staying at a service apartment that requires just HKD1K deposit and I went direct so 0 agent fees.

working permit is sponsored by company. my first flight here also sponsored but after that come back Msia is ownself pay so take airasia lol.
Thanks for your reply, by the way, what is ur industry and position u working in HK?
How u get the Jobs in HK?Do you apply for it in Msia or your Malaysia Company relocate u there?

Currently considering various destination to work oversea to obtain different experience.
Which countries is expat friendly and easier to get job, other than Singapore.

wsnbhr
post Feb 27 2013, 03:40 PM

15 posts

dont be deter by the postings.if you are a professional you will be paid 4x your wage in malaysia with taxes at 16.5%,however,if its not a managerial or senior posting,then perhaps the small aparment with cramped quarters do apply and one will be struggling to make ends meet etc!!!!!
your QUALITY OF LIFE will definitely be better than KL,you will be able to live fairly comfortably in Hk with your paycheque
as for the crowd etc its A BIT EXGGERATED -hk is renown for her efficiency not without reasons.yes indeed its fast pace -but nothing out of the ordinary for a city with 8 million inhabitants,well if you have live and worked in NY or tokyo u will know what i mean.
more importantly,in Hk theres little or no discrimination,rule of the law,meritocracy and the opportunity to 'hit' the pinnacle of your career if you are GOOD AND BRILLIANT

cute_boboi
post Feb 27 2013, 05:55 PM

° 忍 °
6,416 posts

6 months in hongkong since i came here, alot of what cute_boboi said is damn right. LKF is overrated, im bored of it already.

lunch time is pack like sardin, everybody must share table and squeeze. most of the time i pack back to office eat. order slowly kena scold by waitress. dont know how to order also kena scold. basically you must know what you want to eat and order asap. am getting sick of HK food already, really super alot MSG. miss malaysia food alot.

alot of all the hot chics here are mainly from china, so sometimes hard to tell the diff if they speak english but once they speak chinese then you will know.

transport as said by cute_boboi is super efficient. taxi is generally consider cheap as well for HK standards but you must be brave because all taxi drive like f1 and like rushing home for sex.

rental will cost you at least 1/3 of your salary if not more...

if anybody living in hk and is interested for a game of football, i found this webby casualfootball.net which host football games every week.

lastly, im working for a media company on private equity.
LOL laugh.gif Congrats, you are blending in well ... I forgot about the food ordering, yeah. Don't go in (stand further away) until you make up your mind what you want to eat/order.
Once you sit down, especially peak hour lunchtime, must place order ASAP. Delay like 10 seconds, they'll walk away or scold you. This is for those normal Chinese restaurant (roast pork, mee, rice).

Nicer (read: more expensive) restaurant will give more leeway tongue.gif But a dim sum table for 10 people, can cost us HKD1200-1800 per table.

Taxi is cheap, only for short distance.
I tried from airport to HK island, ~HKD400 sweat.gif
From Shatin to island, using east-tunnel to pickup a friend, also HKD350+ sweat.gif
Nowadays I take Airport Express all the way to Central, before switch to taxi.

QUOTE(aVexRikuu @ Feb 25 2013, 08:56 PM)
anybody in hong kong wanna go yumcha / watch epl ? home tv dont have soccer cos need additional subscription..so need to go pubs.
Going HK again next week icon_idea.gif but I don't follow EPL tongue.gif

You have to spend like 1-2 weeks there, people watching everyday. Start early like 8-9am, grab a cup of coffee, and stand at MTR / roadside in CBD area. See how they walk, move, interact, etc. Move around with them...

Then proceed to wet-market and continue people watching. Normally have 50% discount for dim-sum in non-peak weekday hours, e.g. 9am-11am

12pm, start watch people again for the lunch crowd until 2pm+

2-5pm go watch people loading/unloading, market people, or nannies/mommy fetching kids from school.

5pm onwards, proceed back to MTR, roads, watch people again. How they rush to go home, change trains, etc. Talk, smoke, walk, etc.

7-9pm, proceed to shopping areas, restaurants for dinner...

10pm+ go drinking/pub to watch more people.

If you have 6th sense on people watching, you can learn a lot, fast.

QUOTE(wsnbhr @ Feb 27 2013, 03:40 PM)
dont be deter by the postings.if you are a professional you will be paid 4x your wage in malaysia with taxes at 16.5%,however,if its not a managerial or senior posting,then perhaps the small aparment with cramped quarters do apply and one will be struggling to make ends meet etc!!!!!
your QUALITY OF LIFE  will definitely be better than KL,you will be able to live fairly comfortably in Hk with your paycheque
as for the crowd etc its  A BIT EXGGERATED -hk is renown for her efficiency not without reasons.yes indeed its  fast pace -but nothing out of the ordinary for a city with 8 million inhabitants,well if you have live and worked in NY or tokyo u will know what i mean.
more importantly,in Hk theres little or no discrimination,rule of the law,meritocracy and the opportunity to 'hit' the pinnacle of your career if you are GOOD AND BRILLIANT
True. For the rest, try to think from both sides and use own judgement as an adult.
What I've posted, are just some realities (IMHO) to bring people back to ground.

Your wage in HK must be high, otherwise, don't bother.

There are pros & cons of working in HK vs MY. Depends on how well a person can adapt to it.

For me, I can live there, just that I won't be doing all the tourist stuff all the time... icon_rolleyes.gif

cute_boboi
post Feb 27 2013, 06:00 PM

° 忍 °
6,416 posts

Add on: Regarding the F1 taxi drivers, it's the Toyota Crown? that have good pickup (low gear ratio).
Wait till you goto Manila, Bangkok, Jakarta during jam... it'll make HK taxi drivers like F3 drivers only tongue.gif

wsnbhr
post Feb 27 2013, 07:47 PM

15 posts

The roads are narrowed and over steep slopes in hk island.i don't think you can drive like a hyacinth as in Malaysia.most roads in the city have a speed limit of only 40km/hr in addition ,breaking /violating traffic rules not only carries a fine but also entails mandatory 'points' deduction which on accumulating 15 points(eg severe penalty for not stopping when the traffic junction light is red with 9 points deducted ,3 points for any vehicle in the yellow box-both offences are not uncommon in kl and committed with impunity and regularity that its trated as a norm here)will be automatically disqualified or suspended
from driving for 6 months

This post has been edited by wsnbhr: Feb 27 2013, 08:25 PM
cute_boboi
post Feb 28 2013, 11:39 AM

° 忍 °
6,416 posts

QUOTE(wsnbhr @ Feb 27 2013, 07:47 PM)
The roads are narrowed and over steep slopes in hk island.i don't think you can drive like a hyacinth as in Malaysia.most roads in the city have a speed limit of only 40km/hr in addition ,breaking /violating traffic rules not only carries a fine but also entails mandatory 'points' deduction which on accumulating 15 points(eg severe penalty for not stopping when the traffic junction light is red with 9 points deducted ,3 points for any vehicle in the yellow box-both offences are not uncommon in kl and committed with impunity and regularity that its trated as a norm here)will be automatically disqualified or suspended
from driving for 6 months
I think unlikely anyone will drive over there, unless they are high-rank expat, or high-income/net-worth.
My office parking costs like HKD4-6k per month. Not yet count parking at home.
A full tank of petrol for MPV, about HKD800-1000. sweat.gif
Also, driving in the city, is like driving in SG. Before reach 3rd/4th gear, already need to brake to slow down/stop at the next traffic light rclxub.gif
Expensive/super-cars (falali, aston martin, lambo, etc.) are very common in Central/island. Can hear they rev-rev, then stuck in jam tongue.gif

Yes, there are some freeways/tollways/outskirt roads that is smoother to drive.
Please forget about watching too much Jackie Chan's 霹靂火 (Thunderbolt) tongue.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

OT: The reason for public driving apathy in Malaysia, is due to LACK of ENFORCEMENT.
No one cares, no one catches, so when I drive in Malaysia, I also break the rules like stop in yellow-box. If I don't do that, forever I won't be able to cross the junction during peak hour traffic jam and get horn by cars at the back.

wsnbhr
post Feb 28 2013, 12:34 PM

15 posts

its not expensive to own a car in HK for many of us who has been working for a while here.what is 4k for a parking space when a 1000 sq ft apartment cost 15-20 million-small change to a lot of people and a parking lot going for 1 million

it is one's earning power that will decide/determines the quality of life in Hk.forget about the expat in HK -they are not as well off as you would like to believe-they would be staying in a 300 sq ft apartment with their income if not for the generosity of their companies providing 30-50k for rental.i know of a german finacial manager who is only drawing a salary of 50k but staying in an apartment at 50k/month

This post has been edited by wsnbhr: Feb 28 2013, 12:42 PM
wsnbhr
post Feb 28 2013, 01:00 PM

15 posts

i stumbled upon this forum and would like to share my experience of living and working in HK after been here for nearly 30 years

in hk one must endeavour to learn or improved ones' spoken cantonese in order to assimilate into the community.forget about english -its only widely used by most organisations before 1997 and in the workplace
rule no1=be proficient in the cantonese language and of course the indispensable putonghua with the deluge of visitors and thus business opportunity from mainland china

This post has been edited by wsnbhr: Feb 28 2013, 01:09 PM
Quasi-Suave
post Feb 28 2013, 01:19 PM

Casual
322 posts

QUOTE(wsnbhr @ Feb 28 2013, 01:00 PM)
i stumbled upon this forum and would like to share my experience of living and working in HK after been here for nearly 30 years

in hk one must endeavour to learn or improved ones' spoken cantonese in order to assimilate into the community.forget about english -its only widely used by most organisations before 1997 and in the workplace
rule no1=be proficient in the cantonese language and of course the indispensable putonghua with the deluge of visitors and thus business opportunity from mainland china
Pls share more with us. What did you do in HK?
sense75
post Feb 28 2013, 02:32 PM

Life must go on...
659 posts

last time thinking to work at HK and compare the the living cost and paid in SG and MY and make conclusion that better choose SG if want to work overseas as SG paid almost the same but living cost is better a bit and the balik kampung cost also cheaper.. just my 2 cents
wsnbhr
post Feb 28 2013, 02:46 PM

15 posts

i am in the financial industry
as for personal accomplishment and lifestyle i wish to keep it private

wsnbhr
post Feb 28 2013, 03:17 PM

15 posts

QUOTE(sense75 @ Feb 28 2013, 02:32 PM)
last time thinking to work at HK and compare the the living cost and paid in SG and MY and make conclusion that better choose SG if want to work overseas as SG paid almost the same but living cost is better a bit and the balik kampung cost also cheaper.. just my 2 cents
i do not know about the wage structure in singapore now-presumably the pay should be about the same in the 2 city states
as for the quality of life i think both are not unsimilar
one big difference is that laowei/caucasians are still in abundance in singapore where post 97 we see more brilliant and smart mainland chinese in hk instead

Quasi-Suave
post Feb 28 2013, 05:04 PM

Casual
322 posts

QUOTE(wsnbhr @ Feb 28 2013, 02:46 PM)
i am in the financial industry
as for personal accomplishment and lifestyle i wish to keep it private
I presume you either retired or semi retired. When did you work last (in HK) and how was the working culture like?
wsnbhr
post Feb 28 2013, 06:44 PM

15 posts

in hk only one golden rule or work ethics-work hard and play hard
Make the $ and enjoy your life
If you can afford it flaunt it
Money not spend is not money
deodorant
post Feb 28 2013, 06:53 PM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

QUOTE(sense75 @ Feb 28 2013, 02:32 PM)

QUOTE(wsnbhr @ Feb 28 2013, 03:17 PM)
i do not know about the wage structure in singapore now-presumably the pay should be about the same in the 2 city states

According to the 2011 edition of UBS'es price - earnings report, SG wage levels are higher by 1.7% and prices including rent higher by 15.4%. That was 2 years ago, though ... not sure how wage levels and prices have risen/fallen in either city since then.

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0212sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:31 AM