Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > 
RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> KPM Bursary (a.k.a JPA), KPM Bursary (a.k.a JPA)

Katekyo hitman
post Apr 26 2013, 12:33 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

any idea how to calculate the grade of a-levels in term of cgpa?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Flame Haze
post Apr 26 2013, 01:14 PM

Casual

QUOTE(OptimusMaximus @ Apr 26 2013, 12:30 PM)
Yea so the competition would be tough isn't it. So let's say bursary students can't get a place in a top 50 uni, or can't get the scholarship, where can they go? Only private uni's?
They die because if they don't get a scholarship, their parents will have to fork out the bucks for their uni fees. I'm not saying you can't get into public uni with A-Level results, but the chances are sweat.gif
+Quote Post
OptimusMaximus
post Apr 26 2013, 01:25 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Flame Haze @ Apr 26 2013, 01:14 PM)
They die because if they don't get a scholarship, their parents will have to fork out the bucks for their uni fees. I'm not saying you can't get into public uni with A-Level results, but the chances are  sweat.gif
Because if even STPM students can't get the course and public uni they want, what's the chances of A-Level students right? But there's PTPTN and cheaper private uni's as backup to those who can't get scholarship
+Quote Post
Katekyo hitman
post Apr 26 2013, 01:46 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Flame Haze @ Apr 26 2013, 01:14 PM)
They die because if they don't get a scholarship, their parents will have to fork out the bucks for their uni fees. I'm not saying you can't get into public uni with A-Level results, but the chances are  sweat.gif
still, study a-levels as a bursary students is better than others. where there's a will, there's a way. jpa isn't the sole organisation which offer scholarships for students.
+Quote Post
OptimusMaximus
post Apr 26 2013, 02:10 PM

On my way

QUOTE(Katekyo hitman @ Apr 26 2013, 01:46 PM)
still, study a-levels as a bursary students is better than others. where there's a will, there's a way. jpa isn't the sole organisation which offer scholarships for students.
Yea, but scholarships after A-Levels is also hard to get
+Quote Post
somebody :)
post Apr 26 2013, 02:57 PM

QUOTE(OptimusMaximus @ Apr 26 2013, 12:30 PM)
Yea so the competition would be tough isn't it. So let's say bursary students can't get a place in a top 50 uni, or can't get the scholarship, where can they go? Only private uni's?
just now i ask the person who is in charge for bursary program in taylor's college.she said if we pass the requirement pointer and already get the place in top 50 uni,,we need to apply for PILN jpa scholarship.for bursary student,,we don't have to follow the interview session.as for the non-bursary student,,they need to follow the procedure which is to undergo interview session in order to get the jpa scholarship

let say if you didn't get the place in the top 50 uni in the world,,it's okay bcos they will still sponsor you for local uni or local private uni for degree program as long u score during the a-level program thumbup.gif

i have confirmed it with them face to face.i hope this will help you guys nod.gif
+Quote Post
Katekyo hitman
post Apr 26 2013, 03:34 PM

Getting Started

smile.gif+Apr 26 2013, 02:57 PM-->
QUOTE(somebody smile.gif @ Apr 26 2013, 02:57 PM)
just now i ask the person who is in charge for bursary program in taylor's college.she said if we pass the requirement pointer and already get the place in top 50 uni,,we need to apply for PILN jpa scholarship.for bursary student,,we don't have to follow the interview session.as for the non-bursary student,,they need to follow the procedure which is to undergo interview session in order to get the jpa scholarship

let say if you didn't get the place in the top 50 uni in the world,,it's okay bcos they will still sponsor you for local uni or local private uni for degree program as long u score during the a-level program thumbup.gif

i have confirmed it with them face to face.i hope this will help you guys nod.gif
so there's no way that they can reject students's application without interviewing them, right? even other students have chance to go through the interview before being rejected. but the authorities say that 'no interview' does not means that students can get scholarship for sure.
tricky hmm.gif
+Quote Post
OptimusMaximus
post Apr 26 2013, 04:58 PM

On my way

smile.gif+Apr 26 2013, 02:57 PM-->
QUOTE(somebody smile.gif @ Apr 26 2013, 02:57 PM)

So that means if u accept the bursary, do A-levels, get a place in a top 50 uni, apply for JPA PILN, confirm can get without interviewing? I don't know if that sounds a bit unfair to those who didn't get the bursary but get equally good results as those with the bursary. Or maybe they got set a quota for bursary and non-bursary students? So that non-bursary students won't be competing with bursary students, but just among the non-bursary students themselves hmm.gif

+Quote Post
post Apr 26 2013, 05:12 PM

QUOTE(OptimusMaximus @ Apr 26 2013, 04:58 PM)
So that means if u accept the bursary, do A-levels, get a place in a top 50 uni, apply for JPA PILN, confirm can get without interviewing? I don't know if that sounds a bit unfair to those who didn't get the bursary but get equally good results as those with the bursary. Or maybe they got set a quota for bursary and non-bursary students? So that non-bursary students won't be competing with bursary students, but just among the non-bursary students themselves  hmm.gif
that's what they told me just now.sorry if misunderstood about that but i'm sure i understand their explanation clearly. about the bursary and non-bursary student,,i have no comment.that one it would be better if you ask them yourself smile.gif then if u got the answer,,share with us smile.gif

+Quote Post
post Apr 26 2013, 05:24 PM

QUOTE(Katekyo hitman @ Apr 26 2013, 03:34 PM)
so there's no way that they can reject students's application without interviewing them, right? even other students have chance to go through the interview before being rejected. but the authorities say that 'no interview' does not means that students can get scholarship for sure.
tricky hmm.gif
ohh i forgot one thing,,they said it would be better if u apply other than jpa as well.i think what they meant by that was just like what u said..there'll be no interview session but doesn't mean u will get the scholarship for sure.we can try getting scholarship from other organisation as well.but i think the bursary student has a higher chance of getting the scholarship..i'm not sure about this.if u can ask them yourself,it would be better smile.gif don't forget to share it with me once u know the answer already
+Quote Post
Katekyo hitman
post Apr 26 2013, 05:30 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(OptimusMaximus @ Apr 26 2013, 04:58 PM)
So that means if u accept the bursary, do A-levels, get a place in a top 50 uni, apply for JPA PILN, confirm can get without interviewing? I don't know if that sounds a bit unfair to those who didn't get the bursary but get equally good results as those with the bursary. Or maybe they got set a quota for bursary and non-bursary students? So that non-bursary students won't be competing with bursary students, but just among the non-bursary students themselves  hmm.gif
I don't think that they will set such quota. Because it is already mentioned that bursary students have priority over non-bursary students. But nobody know what jpa is thinking as they can change their policy anytime. sweat.gif
+Quote Post
Katekyo hitman
post Apr 26 2013, 05:32 PM

Getting Started

smile.gif+Apr 26 2013, 05:24 PM-->
QUOTE(somebody smile.gif @ Apr 26 2013, 05:24 PM)
ohh i forgot one thing,,they said it would be better if u apply other than jpa as well.i think what they meant by that was just like what u said..there'll be no interview session but doesn't mean u will get the scholarship for sure.we can try getting scholarship from other organisation as well.but i think the bursary student has a higher chance of getting the scholarship..i'm not sure about this.if u can ask them yourself,it would be better smile.gif don't forget to share it with me once u know the answer already
What I written above is what they told me lor tongue.gif even jpa people-in-charge cannot confirm that with me.
+Quote Post
OptimusMaximus
post Apr 26 2013, 05:39 PM

On my way

QUOTE(Katekyo hitman @ Apr 26 2013, 05:30 PM)
I don't think that they will set such quota. Because it is already mentioned that bursary students have priority over non-bursary students. But nobody know what jpa is thinking as they can change their policy anytime. sweat.gif
Oh it's mentioned that bursary students have priority over non-bursary students? How can la? tongue.gif What if those non-bursary students might be working twice as hard and might get even better results than a bursary student in pre-u?
+Quote Post
Katekyo hitman
post Apr 26 2013, 05:44 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(OptimusMaximus @ Apr 26 2013, 05:39 PM)
Oh it's mentioned that bursary students have priority over non-bursary students? How can la?  tongue.gif What if those non-bursary students might be working twice as hard and might get even better results than a bursary student in pre-u?
If you do really well, u should not be worried. Because not every bursary student study overseas and the number of them will not exceed the number of piln offered. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
jin123
post Apr 27 2013, 10:52 PM

QUOTE(Flame Haze @ Apr 26 2013, 12:36 AM)
Bursary students, if you are able to get placement in the top 50 universities for your respective field according to the Times ranking using your A-Levels results, you can apply for scholarship by JPA under their PILN programme (not so sure about the name, doesn't matter). However, this scholarship isn't given automatically like the bursary, you have multiple interview sessions to go through while JPA pick out selected candidates for the scholarship. Remember, there are just so many students who can get into the top 50 universities every year, plus this scholarship isn't only for bursary students, normal students who didn't get the bursary can also apply, so the competition is going to be really tough.
I had seen you post in many education stuff and I wish to ask for some advice here .
I am a bursary receiver and I get the offer from matriculation .
The course that I want to pursue is medicine .
What will you suggest me to continue my study , a level or matriculation ?
1. A level .
If I take a level , there r only 4 universities in uk take i can enrol in in order to get scholarship piln .
If i enrol in local IPTS , is the probability high 4 me to get the pidn since the course i wish to pursue is medic?

2. Matriculation
I heard that almost all chinese score cgpa 4 . What make me different from others in order to get the course i want in IPTA ? Have you heard before that anybody scoring cgpa4 dun secure a place in local uni ?

Your advice is really appreciated .
Thank you .
+Quote Post
Flame Haze
post Apr 27 2013, 11:54 PM

Casual

I'll just list out the pros and cons, I am NOT suggesting because it's your decision and not my responsibility. sweat.gif

Matric
-easier and faster than A-Levels
-you should be able to do fine in Matric
-Given a bit of luck, you should be able to secure a place in medics in one of the public unis. The competition is still there.

A-Levels
-harder than matric, but of course you gain a lot more knowledge
-harder to get good results than matric
-if you're aiming for UK, there're only 6 unis you can go to, if we exclude Oxbridge, there are 4 left. Competition is going to be DAMN stiff
-you'll have lot more work to do. You'll have to take AS, A2, IELTS, do research on the universities you want to go, take whatever extra exams they require for medicine, write out a good personal statement, be quite active in cocurricular activities.
-the PILN scholarship isn't guaranteed, there's an element of risk if they suddenly change their policy. Can you afford the fees? Of course, there're a lot more of scholarships out there.

QUOTE(jin123 @ Apr 27 2013, 10:52 PM)

2. Matriculation
I heard that almost all chinese score cgpa 4 . What make me different from others in order to get the course i want in IPTA ? Have you heard before that anybody scoring cgpa4 dun secure a place in local uni ?

As you said, there's nothing different from you with the other guys securing cgpa 4.0. You'll need some luck to get your ideal course. So far I haven't heard of anyone with cgpa 4.0 failing to get into local uni, but failing to get their ideal choice of course, especially those more competitive ones, YES.

Are you that dead set on UK? Cause it's going to be hard work. If you decide to take A-Levels, why not consider Australia unis? You'll have more choice, and Aus unis normally require less than UK unis. Less work and Aus unis aren't bad.
+Quote Post
OptimusMaximus
post Apr 28 2013, 02:16 PM

On my way

QUOTE(Flame Haze @ Apr 27 2013, 11:54 PM)
Are you that dead set on UK? Cause it's going to be hard work. If you decide to take A-Levels, why not consider Australia unis? You'll have more choice, and Aus unis normally require less than UK unis. Less work and Aus unis aren't bad.
Hey ask u something about the bursary. If someone doesn't get matrics the normal way, he can still go for matrics through the bursary right? I was just replying in a thread here and there were like two ppl who I assume didn't know that they can still pick matrics through the bursary. Or must they get accepted to a matrics place first? Then what's the point of the bursary for?

And Aus uni's cost less than UK uni's? Are u sure? hmm.gif How about the entry requirements?

+Quote Post
Flame Haze
post Apr 28 2013, 02:34 PM

Casual

QUOTE(OptimusMaximus @ Apr 28 2013, 02:16 PM)
Hey ask u something about the bursary. If someone doesn't get matrics the normal way, he can still go for matrics through the bursary right? I was just replying in a thread here and there were like two ppl who I assume didn't know that they can still pick matrics through the bursary. Or must they get accepted to a matrics place first? Then what's the point of the bursary for?

And Aus uni's cost less than UK uni's? Are u sure?  hmm.gif How about the entry requirements?
Saw the thread, I'm not so sure about the matrics thing. sweat.gif But I think you have to get an offer from matrics before you take the bursary for it, makes more sense. Matrics isn't so free btw. smile.gif

No I never said Aus unis cost less, it just meant that he'll have more choice, and Aus unis normally just look at your results and doesn't require a reference from your teachers and neither a CV. Less work lol.
+Quote Post
OptimusMaximus
post Apr 28 2013, 05:18 PM

On my way

QUOTE(Flame Haze @ Apr 28 2013, 02:34 PM)
Saw the thread, I'm not so sure about the matrics thing.  sweat.gif But I think you have to get an offer from matrics before you take the bursary for it, makes more sense. Matrics isn't so free btw.  smile.gif

No I never said Aus unis cost less, it just meant that he'll have more choice, and Aus unis normally just look at your results and doesn't require a reference from your teachers and neither a CV. Less work lol.
Eh really? So Aus uni's normally just want good results only? Do they look at koko too?
+Quote Post
Flame Haze
post Apr 28 2013, 05:46 PM

Casual

QUOTE(OptimusMaximus @ Apr 28 2013, 05:18 PM)
Eh really? So Aus uni's normally just want good results only? Do they look at koko too?
I'm not sure, but since they're not looking at your CV or references, how are they going to know bout your koko? blink.gif Better check out on the websites of the unis you want to apply for.

The problem is, applying for UK unis are limited to 5 choices, while for Aus unis, you can spam away your applications. biggrin.gif Too bad applications aren't free, there's a charge. sweat.gif
+Quote Post

4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0413sec    2.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 04:05 PM