Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> road construction cost

views

cute_boboi
post Apr 19 2012, 05:19 PM

° 忍 °
6,416 posts

Most people only see the road surface. The cost of road varies.

It starts with type of road, for small vehicle, large lorries, etc. The heavier load, will require more cost.

Then earth/geology study of the soil. If it is soft soil (tanah mendap) like those around batu pahat area where PLUS highway is built, a lot of piling and pre-earth work needs to be done. Otherwise, the highway will be wavy/bouncy like the portion near Nibong Tebal there.

This is assuming flat road, and not hill terrain like Simpang Pulai -> Kg. Raja. This type of terrain will increase the cost by 300-500%

If need to dig tunnel, expect even more doh.gif

If need bridge, also extra cost. Ever play sim-city ?

ok, back to road. Most will have seen how a road is made.
First, sub-terrain/piling/netting/etc.
Then, rocks/stones as the bottom foundation
Then, big sands/stones
Then, small sands/stones
Then first layer of surface .
Normally will add 2nd layer of surface.

Each layer will need steam-roller to press it.

Then painting the road lines with light reflective paint, not your usual dulux/ici weather-bond, which 1 big tin is >RM100 already, can't even paint 1km.
Then the guard rails, lightings (if any, add-in wiring cost), sign boards, etc.

The above are simplified summary of road works.

Therefore, each km costing RM1m , actually may not be expensive.

cute_boboi
post Apr 27 2012, 07:42 PM

° 忍 °
6,416 posts

QUOTE(Awakened_Angel @ Apr 21 2012, 10:47 AM)
thank you for your info
infact most paint manufacturer has this it is RoadLine paint(both reflective & non reflective) bout RM 90.00 per 5L
guardrail about RM 150 per meter for material only

street lighting is about Rm 300-500 per pole

all excluding
1) telecommunication pipe & cable
2) water reticulation

Added on April 21, 2012, 10:49 am
I am not familiar with infrastructure
Road paint, normally buy in big drums.

guard rail, street light, those are material cost.
Not yet include installation & testing cost, labour cost, transportation.
Imagine install guard rail / pole for a section of 10km road only, at a far away place in Bukit Mertajam, when your base is in KL. How much diesel price for lorry to go there using trunk road (assuming you don't even pay for toll highway) ?
How much is the cost for the tractor to dig/drill a hole to "plant" all these poles ?
Multiple person of labour cost ? This is not rubber tapping, you need many people just to plant few poles.
If wiring, imagine digging the entire stretch to plant the wires, ducting/tubes/pipes/ etc. Electrician cost, chargeman cost to connect to substation.
Then before you do SAT/handover, rat/animal bites the trunking biggrin.gif or some dogs/cows start digging around the loosen earth and the poles fell down/slanting.
Or flooding/landslide/earth movement which makes your equipment fail/faulty.
Or other contractors start planting trees (read: dig hole) and cut your electric/fibre/communication cable into multiple sections biggrin.gif

A simple math is the full cost is 3-5x the material cost, base on average material type. Not on high-tech stuff.

QUOTE(Pegasus88 @ Apr 21 2012, 05:39 PM)
may i ask how does road piling works ? concrete pile all the way ? then how is the pile cap ?
Pile somewhat similiar as in constructing buildings of about few storeys type. Not those super-structure piling.
Then put concrete slabs or with nettings.
Otherwise, depending on soil, whole concrete slab may just sink/disappear into the muddy ground.
If muddy too deep, all the piles will disappear without even the need to pile it tongue.gif Hence initial earthwork study is very important and the report from geologist, to determine the alignment of the road.

QUOTE(Jo_da48 @ Apr 24 2012, 08:10 PM)
add on question.
What will be the expected cost of only lay in front of house? the area after tiles and public road?
Actual cost including material, transport, small machinery and labour is cheap. Those bangla RM200-300 is more than enough (hint hint: some of the costs are FREE to them). They are giving you a thin <1 inch layer only.

To compare, the top-most layer of tarred-road on PLUS/East coast/etc highway ... is 6-10 inches thick. 1 lorry, can only pave about 30-60 metres length. Imagine if kilometres.
Imagine the several bottom layers... how thick ? at least 1-2 metres of rocks, sands, aggregate, gravel, whatever they call it.

QUOTE(Pegasus88 @ Apr 24 2012, 08:56 PM)
Refering to the question of Jo_da48, who can i ask for a little asphalt pavement in front of my house ? possible to compact the asphalt on my concrete slab ?
The asphalt must be thick enough, i.e at least >2 inches thick, and most bangla (sorry, not racist here, but so far I did not see any other races doing it, or even aliens) will not give you that much, or they will ask for higher payment. And the proper method, is to actually hack the whole ground at least 1 inch deep, to spray the tar before laying the asphalt and compacting it. This will give a seamless roll on and roll off instead of a hump, and thick enough.
A thin 1 inch layer, the asphalt will easily break into pieces or form holes in it, especially when you twist and turn the car tyres at that spot.

My advise is, in order or higher cost, either:
(i) just leave it as concrete
(ii) just tar it, and repeat every 1-3 years.
(iii) tile it with heavy-duty tiles
(iv) re-concrete it to Ikea parking type, but may not suit for outdoor under the sun/rain.
(v) hack the ground (while renovating) and tar it properly, it'll last a good 5-10 years (or more) if done properly (with steam roller tongue.gif ).

My general summary 2 cents above. I may not be correct.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0135sec    0.23    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:55 AM