Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What car to buy with RM 200k?, We're looking for a new car in a month.

views

cybermaster98
post Mar 30 2012, 04:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

Go for the new facelifted Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Turbo. OTR price + 55% NCB insurance premium only approx RM 243K. But warranty period only 2 years and parts very expensive.

Added on March 30, 2012, 4:28 pm
QUOTE(wirefly @ Mar 29 2012, 06:37 PM)
My family and i are looking for a new car in a month time with a price RM200k but we don't know which car to get. It doesn't matter a sedan or suv. May be you guys can help me which.. and why. We're looking for a 1.8L and above. so the peugeot 508 is out. We've seen the vw passat and the kia optima.. or course if you're gonna tell me mazda6.. the model's kinda old isn't it. will there we any new car launching in a month plus time?
Difficult question to answer. U gotta provide more details. You also need to have a rough idea of what type of car u looking for. Im sure u must have a rough idea.

This post has been edited by cybermaster98: Mar 30 2012, 04:28 PM
cybermaster98
post Mar 30 2012, 04:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(lowyatter @ Mar 30 2012, 04:15 PM)
VW Passat
- RM185k
- 1.8L engine, 160bhp
- 7 speed DSG Gearbox

http://my.volkswagen.com/vwcms/master_publ...highlights.html
Boring and dull. yawn.gif

Added on March 30, 2012, 4:35 pm
QUOTE(mym123 @ Mar 30 2012, 03:19 PM)
I will vote teana 2.5 .... Excellent NVH, decent executive image and i love the xtonic cvt gearbox.....got built in multimedia gps, front sensor, reverse camera etc.....go and test drive to appreciate it.....i decide on this car after test driving other d segment cars such as camry, accord, sonata.....
But u didnt test Kia Optima? shocking.gif

This post has been edited by cybermaster98: Mar 30 2012, 04:35 PM
cybermaster98
post Mar 30 2012, 05:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(wirefly @ Mar 30 2012, 05:38 PM)
haha, i'm still new i don't know why everyone is calling me ts. haha. it's doesn't have to be a race car like someone mentioned civic type R, a nice comfortable family ride, but of course enough power to go up to cameron highlands as we always take our pets there. i have a harrier but i dare not use it to camerons as it feels too heavy? haha, instead its been the camry all this while.sometimes the 1.6turbo or the 1.8turbo can't really tell apart as some cars are heavier than the other. nobody wants a draggy car. size.. big (passat is still fine), not like the A4, 3-series and the C-class. i kinda like the kia though with all the cool features even if the reverse camera is a bit retarded with the small screen.. but i'm afraid it may look cheap as it is comparatively cheap to the rest. most of all. A NEW CAR, model realeased not long ago. does anyone know anything abt the alfa romeo?
U have way too many criterias. I suggest you narrow down your criteria and list down the 3 most important ones. Then it would be easier. If not we'll be shooting all over the place.
cybermaster98
post Mar 31 2012, 02:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(karyeowl @ Mar 30 2012, 07:35 PM)
Between Kia and Hyundai, I will go for Hyundai. 5yrs - 300,000km warranty
Is it that u dont really know much about cars or ure too lazy to do research? Kia has among the best warranty terms in the market currently. It has 5 years unlimited mileage warranty unlike Hyundai.

Added on March 31, 2012, 2:23 pm
QUOTE(karyeowl @ Mar 30 2012, 05:34 PM)
Kia Optima should be similar to Hyundai Sonata YF. (Kia belongs to Hyundai) Kia is distributed by Naza, and Naza's spare parts are more expensive than Hyundai (Sime Darby's)
Optima is very much different from Sonata la. The only thing similar is the engine and gearbox. The Optima comes with much better specs than even the Sonata 2.4L. Its also 20mm longer than the Sonata (not that it matters anyway).

This post has been edited by cybermaster98: Mar 31 2012, 02:23 PM
cybermaster98
post Mar 31 2012, 05:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(wirefly @ Mar 31 2012, 05:00 PM)
Hey guys, we've recently narrowed down to volkwagon passat or the nissan teana, please do leave your opinions k.. smile.gif
Which Passat u refering to? The 1.8TSFI? If uve narrowed down to only these 2 cars, then my suggestion would be to wait for the upcoming Passat CC 2.0L Turbo. It looks similar to the current Passat 1.8 (which is a negative). But its due for launch in April so im sure u can wait a while.

But if u ask me, ill say no to both. Passat too dull and boring while the Teana is too uncle looking and specs not impressive.
cybermaster98
post Apr 3 2012, 10:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(|Keantan| @ Apr 3 2012, 12:08 AM)
hey i dont mean to thread-jack but im also looking at a car similar sort of spec ~200k, i was looking at volvo S60 T4. Anyone have any thoughts on the car? I understand that volvo parts are a bit expensive but i'm looking for a safe car like TS, but my bias a bit more sporty. I'm also considering passat too smile.gif i will be commuting approximately every 1-2 weeks from Penang to KL. 
I too considered the S60. It has good specs, good exterior design but poor interior. Plus warranty is the standard 3 yrs. I also had a look at the Audi A4 1.8Turbo but interior not spacious and it has a crap rear middle raised seat which makes it impossible to seat 3 adults at the back. Also had a look at the Merc C200 CGI but at RM 265K, it was too uncle'ish for my taste.

So ive dropped back down to the Kia Optima K5. At only RM 143,888 it has among the best specs around. Beats many 2.4L cars out there. Comfy seats and good mid range power. Plus it comes with 5 years warranty (unlimited mileage) and has the wow factor. Even if i dump it after 5 years, it will be fine as it only cost me sub RM 144K which is about 100K cheaper than the S60.

cybermaster98
post Apr 10 2012, 04:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(wirefly @ Apr 10 2012, 04:41 PM)
yea. K5 had the best gadgets with its price.. But did you notice that the front seat ceiling is tooo lonw and the steering wheel often hits your legs and dashboard is too high too even see the road. Untill today my family and i are still undecided which car to get. sad.gif
Im about 6 feet tall and i never had any problem with the ceiling height or the steering wheel. Have u adjusted the front driver's seat down? Dash board being too high is 1 small issue. No such thing as perfect car. Go for whats important: specs, safety, comfort, handling, price.
cybermaster98
post Apr 10 2012, 04:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(stormlcc @ Apr 10 2012, 04:43 PM)
as i've suggested before, the Ford Mondeo, have you ever test drive it yet?
The only thing that makes the Mondeo stand out among its competitors is its power. But the main drawback is its design. Thats the main reason why the Mondeo's sales have been very poor in Malaysia.
cybermaster98
post Apr 10 2012, 05:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(stormlcc @ Apr 10 2012, 05:02 PM)
Korean cars also resale value bad
it's design is VERY GOOD.  it's the best looking car in it's range.  i don't know about u but 10 out of 10 ppl who saw one in the flesh will say the Mondeo is a really handsome car, pictures doesn't do it justice.  if u don't care about resale value, it's a freaking good car to own
For the extra power, would you pay RM 36K more than say an Optima? I wouldnt for sure. Not sure about the others.

Korean cars resale value will be better than the Mondeo. Resale values are demand driven. When initial sales are very poor, resale values will be equally poor.

Im not sure where u got your 10/10 ppl statistic from but from what ive heard, its the general view that the Mondeo's design has no wow factor especially the rear. How else would you explain the poor sales for the Mondeo? How many units are actually sold monthly?

This post has been edited by cybermaster98: Apr 10 2012, 05:18 PM
cybermaster98
post Apr 10 2012, 05:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(stormlcc @ Apr 10 2012, 05:42 PM)
no offense but i also don't know where u got your "general view", if ppl say the Mondeo has no "wow factor", what about all those toyotas and hondas which are boring to look at and boring to drive?  I know ppl don't buy jap cars for their looks (mostly) but for their resale value, but if u put it aside, there really isn't anything "wow" about jap cars except their incredible boring-ness and a statement that says:" hey i'm already middle aged, have no passion for life anymore, waiting to die, that's why I buy an Altis"

anyway about resale value, u r correct but it's not because of the design, it's because of Malaysian mentality and also bad product branding effect.
Well i dont support the Japs anymore. I think they are taking Malaysians for a ride and we should boycott Toyota and Honda.

As for the resale value, the Malaysian mentality stigma affects the Koreans more but how is that Korean makes are doing quite well? The Forte sales has even eclipsed the sales of the Altis. Hyundai Sonata is also doing ok (but still poor compared to other Japs & the Optima). Optima sales are picking up too. 5829 Forte's were sold in 2011 while 2928 Sonata's were sold in that same year.

Do you actually think the Mondeo is doing badly only because of poor branding? I doubt. hmm.gif

This post has been edited by cybermaster98: Apr 10 2012, 05:58 PM
cybermaster98
post Apr 14 2012, 08:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(wirefly @ Apr 13 2012, 11:41 PM)
many of you guys did mention about the kia K5, well.. I've already thought of it, it's out of the picture.. The reason why is because i felt uncomfortable with the car height ceiling and dashboard, i must admit, the K5 is a super nice car, but everything feels cheap.. Like the passat, although the specs are so stupid, like the non memory seats, non auto folding wing mirrors, manual seat adjustmnt.. It felt expensive. Just an example, no offence.. Just my point of view. Everyone differs..
I think the K5 looks more classier than the Passat 1.8. Drive both cars past a roadside restaurant full of ppl and see which car gets the most attention. (i know cuz ive seen it happen). The Passat doesnt have any wow factor and any interest in the car is solely due to the badge and nothing else. It does have a better engine and transmission but i wouldnt wanna drive a car that makes me feel old and dull.

And yes the plastics on the Optima arent top class for sure but which would be more important for you? Top class specs & safety features or a better dashboard? Given a choice, ill go for the specs and in this case the Optima stands head and shoulders above its other D segment competitors.

The Optima has much better specs, a really well designed exterior and its a CBU vs the CKD Passat. On top of it all, the Optima is about RM27K cheaper. So for a 27K cheaper car, i think getting an interior thats slightly cheapo looking isnt too hard to swallow. The Optima also comes with a 5 yr unlimited mileage manufacturer's warranty so the question about durability can be put to rest.

The Optima may not win in all criterias but its generally a better car than most of its competitors for the price you are paying. But then again, for a Korean make to be actually compared to a VW, is a statement by itself dont u think? nod.gif

Btw, after 5 months of detailed analysis across a range of cars and 9 test drives, i finally booked the Kia Optima yesterday.

This post has been edited by cybermaster98: Apr 14 2012, 08:15 AM
cybermaster98
post Apr 14 2012, 01:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(kelvinftg @ Apr 14 2012, 10:23 AM)
Went for a Passat test drive with my friend about a month ago. The CBU Passat is actually the same price as the CKD Passat. The VW in Taman Tun is giving discounts for the 2011 CBU Passat. However, the CKD version is only available few months later.
Huh? What la u saying? The CKD Passat is approx RM170K only. CBU is about RM20K more.
cybermaster98
post Apr 16 2012, 09:21 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,439 posts

QUOTE(kelvinftg @ Apr 14 2012, 05:25 PM)
I'm saying exactly what I'm saying.

Don't look at figures posted on websites and brochures. Ask the Sales Personnel. The 2011 CBU Passat after discount comes very close to the price of the new CKD Passat.

It's ready stock for the CBU, but you got to wait for the CKD.
Yes u meant the 2011 model. If you had reworded your sentence it would have been easier to understand.

For example instead of saying 'the CBU Passat is actually the same price as the CKD Passat. The VW in Taman Tun is giving discounts for the 2011 CBU Passat'

You could have said 'the 2011 CBU Passat is actually the same price as the 2012 CKD Passat after the discounts being offered by VW TTDI'.

Nothing wrong but i understand now. Thanks! Yes i heard about the discounts too when i was looking at the Passat CC. They also sold a 2011 Jetta which was in poor condition. Even with scratches on the car. Interior speaker cover also broken. Car interior quite dirty. Not sure who bought but i heard he only got a 10K discount.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0137sec    0.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:51 PM