Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Wireless Problems Unable to connect to WIFI on Windows 7, TM-DLINK DSL-2640B wifi modem router

views

TSgenzi0401
post Mar 15 2012, 10:06 PM, updated 13y ago

Getting Started
243 posts

Broadband provider
ISP/package: 4Mbps Streamyx

Personal equipment
Modem: DSL-2640B
Router: DSL-2640B
Firewall used: -

I had just upgraded my Streamyx to 4Mbps today. From the package which I subscribed, I get myself a free TM DLINK DSL-2640B modem wifi router.

As I setup the connection, everything was so smooth and get connected to internet. I used a desktop computer with Windows XP to do the setup with WEP wireless security at first.

Then later I change the wireless security to WPA2 and try connect to the wifi using my Windows 7 laptop. Strangely, the the laptop cannot connect to the wireless network. Showing unable to connect to the network. So I tried out many methods like disable/enable the wifi adapter, turn on/off modem, restart laptop and even try connect using my brother's windows 7 laptop but also FAILED.

I noticed my laptop wifi adapting showing these : attempting to authenticate. What is this?
I never come across with such a problem. Windows XP can get connected to the wifi easily but not windows 7.

I try switched to WPA, failed and to WEP again also failed.

Anybody know what is the problem?
Wyldemdd
post Mar 15 2012, 10:22 PM

Getting Started
151 posts

QUOTE(genzi0401 @ Mar 15 2012, 10:06 PM)
Broadband provider
ISP/package: 4Mbps Streamyx

Personal equipment
Modem: DSL-2640B
Router: DSL-2640B
Firewall used: -

I had just upgraded my Streamyx to 4Mbps today. From the package which I subscribed, I get myself a free TM DLINK DSL-2640B modem wifi router.

As I setup the connection, everything was so smooth and get connected to internet. I used a desktop computer with Windows XP to do the setup with WEP wireless security at first.

Then later I change the wireless security to WPA2 and try connect to the wifi using my Windows 7 laptop. Strangely, the the laptop cannot connect to the wireless network. Showing unable to connect to the network. So I tried out many methods like disable/enable the wifi adapter, turn on/off modem, restart laptop and even try connect using my brother's windows 7 laptop but also FAILED.

I noticed my laptop wifi adapting showing these : attempting to authenticate. What is this?
I never come across with such a problem. Windows XP can get connected to the wifi easily but not windows 7.

I try switched to WPA, failed and to WEP again also failed.

Anybody know what is the problem?
You can try this method :

(1) Go to Control Panel, then Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center.

(2) Click Manage Wireless Networks in the upper left portion of the window.

(3) If your computer is new, then just click "Add." If not, then click "Add," go through the steps below and then choose the new network as your active network.

(4) Select "Manually create a network profile."

(5) Complete the form in the next window, including your network SSID, encryption type, encryption key, etc. Select the option to conect automatically.

(6) Save. It should say "Network Successfully Added." Try and browse the internet. smile.gif

TSgenzi0401
post Mar 15 2012, 10:31 PM

Getting Started
243 posts

Tried ady.
and still cannot connect.
Wyldemdd
post Mar 16 2012, 01:17 PM

Getting Started
151 posts

QUOTE(genzi0401 @ Mar 15 2012, 10:31 PM)
Tried ady.
and still cannot connect.

Hmm....then the best next thing to do is to hard reset the modem router and configure from scratch.Don't alter any setting at wireless especially the transfer rate and mode.
johnlth93
post Mar 16 2012, 03:23 PM

Regular
1,162 posts

u should remove the wep profile 1st
then i recommend to flash SEA firmware like i does
then restore default n use the setup wizard
in the wizard u'll have wpa2 option to setup ur wifi

This post has been edited by johnlth93: Mar 16 2012, 03:24 PM
mamadox
post Mar 16 2012, 05:13 PM

Getting Started
227 posts

Have you try remove the password (open network) and try to connect using windosws 7 ?

I also have similar problem with u before.

This post has been edited by mamadox: Mar 16 2012, 05:14 PM
game333
post Mar 17 2012, 03:48 AM

Casual
388 posts

Okay, just click the "Trouble Shooting" that shown on the "failure page".

Windows 7 is much more update than XP, it will guide you thru.
nicky1112001
post Apr 24 2012, 04:50 PM

Getting Started
219 posts

i have the same problem with u...any idea how to solve it?i buying 2 same model of this to try also still same problem coming out....any idea how to solve it?
dawood
post Apr 25 2012, 09:51 PM

On my way
529 posts

In order to test if wireless adapter in win7 laptop works well with modem router, you can configure open network (no wireless encryption) on modem router temporary, after that connect to it with your laptop.

If it works, probably you did not configure wireless encryption correctly on modem router or laptop.

If you need more ideas, take a look on this wireless network troubleshooting tips article.

Hope this helps.
fingertip
post May 14 2012, 02:00 AM

7 posts

hmm your laptop and your bro's using windows 7 starter edition or home premium? in my experience anything below professional is not so "network friendly"..i dont know y so dont ask me bout it. But my bro using windows 7 starter also had this prob before..u can try this:

wireless settings > wireless basic:
enable wireless
visibility status:visible

wireless settings > wireless security
security mode : WEP
Authentication : Open (i believe this is the problem..somehow if i change it to "shared key" my bro's notebook cant log in to the network)

or

make sure your wireless network adapter security settings is the same with the router settings.

e.g [router] WEP;Authentication:OPEN ----> [laptop] WEP;Authentication:Open

- To setup your network adapter
Control panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings (on the left side)
Double click your wireless adapter > wireless properties > security
change the setup according to what u set in your router.

I hope this will solve your problem. gud luck

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0137sec    1.04    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 01:03 PM