Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Nissan Grand Livina Vs Toyota Avanza facelift

designer69
post Mar 11 2012, 11:32 PM, updated 4 years ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

My partner was considering to buy the Toyota Avanza facelift. Kinda disappointed after test driving.

The handling is definitely better than the old version becasue of the EPS, not as bumpy as the old one. The thing is the interior is very cheap-lak... Dashboard using cheap material, seat is very thin and not comfy.

We went to Nissan to test drive Livina after that. Nissan give better discount.
We are looking at 1.6L A/T. Grand Livina definitely has better handling than livina.

What we concern is the air cond. Only bottom blower for second low and no blower for 3rd row. Is the front aircond (the one heading up) enough for 3rd row? Our Malaysia weather wor... We need to use 3rd row everyday for kid. The space to go up to the 3rd row is very small as well... with the kid's big bag...it will be difficult.. (this is why we are still considering Avanza..).

How is the Fuel Consumption for Grand Livina 1.6 for Taman Driving?

Btw..Why does Grand Livina facelift not having any changes for exterior.... Is the design same as the 2007 version?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
conan1
post Mar 11 2012, 11:44 PM

Getting Started

exora cfe ? match with ur criteria..unless u anti-protongg...

btw not sure bout livina...

This post has been edited by conan1: Mar 11 2012, 11:48 PM
+Quote Post
V12Kompressor
post Mar 11 2012, 11:45 PM

No carrots here
Group: Senior Member

Once again,

EPS improves handling?

wadd?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
designer69
post Mar 12 2012, 12:12 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(V12Kompressor @ Mar 11 2012, 11:45 PM)
Once again,

EPS improves handling?

wadd?
Yes, If you are driving the older Avanza, after test driving you will feel the big different.

Added on March 12, 2012, 12:14 am
QUOTE(conan1 @ Mar 11 2012, 11:44 PM)
exora cfe ? match with ur criteria..unless u anti-protongg...

btw not sure bout livina...
sad.gif Don't really have confident toward Protong.......

This post has been edited by designer69: Mar 12 2012, 12:14 AM
+Quote Post
V12Kompressor
post Mar 12 2012, 12:17 AM

No carrots here

of coz big difference, but the handling is still the same, old or new. Because the same bumpy old truck platform is still being used.
+Quote Post
designer69
post Mar 12 2012, 12:29 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(V12Kompressor @ Mar 12 2012, 12:17 AM)
of coz big difference, but the handling is still the same, old or new. Because the same bumpy old truck platform is still being used.
True. Old engine, old platform plus cheaper looking interior.. sigh...

Anyone know more info about Grand Livina? ah, is Livina second value high as Toyota?
+Quote Post
V12Kompressor
post Mar 12 2012, 12:38 AM

No carrots here

I mean the steering feel is different. Hydraulic steering generally offers more feedback and heavier in nature. EPS is light and most of the time it is either underassisted or overassisted. Most people prefer EPS in their Toyota B-segment car/MPV coz those cars never have any handling to begin with in the first place.

This post has been edited by V12Kompressor: Mar 12 2012, 12:38 AM
+Quote Post
Deja Vu
post Mar 12 2012, 07:48 AM

Regular

QUOTE(designer69 @ Mar 11 2012, 11:32 PM)
My partner was considering to buy the Toyota Avanza facelift. Kinda disappointed after test driving.

The handling is definitely better than the old version becasue of the EPS, not as bumpy as the old one. The thing is the interior is very cheap-lak... Dashboard using cheap material, seat is very thin and not comfy.

We are looking at 1.6L A/T. Grand Livina definitely has better handling than livina.

What we concern is the air cond. Only bottom blower for second low and no blower for 3rd row. Is the front aircond (the one heading up) enough for 3rd row? Our Malaysia weather wor... We need to use 3rd row everyday for kid. The space to go up to the 3rd row is very small as well... with the kid's big bag...it will be difficult..  (this is why we are still considering Avanza..).

Btw..Why does Grand Livina facelift not having any changes for exterior.... Is the design same as the 2007 version?
TS,
All current GLs have been facelifted wit a couple of stuff including darker interior shades like d X-gear which withstands dirt much easier than its predecessor.

Handling is definately better for d Nissan from its monocoque platform compared to d Toyota's step-ladder chassis. I hv to agree wit u tat although d new Avanza is a lot of improvement over d old n works perfectly fine as a people carrier, its still s'how crude n ol-tech to all other competitions for its asking price.

I dun own a GL, but hv heard nothing but praises from 1.6 n 1.8 owners on its fc against other mini/mid-sized MPV. If its cool-air-to last row passenger for u, only d Avanza n Exora would pamper them.
+Quote Post
littlefire
post Mar 12 2012, 08:38 AM

Getting Started

Bro, if really want to buy Avanza, rather get Alza 1.5L.. Same engine, only different driving layout & management.. FR / FF & VVT-i / DVVT..

Somemore Alza front seat for Auto got the folding arm rest, which a small kid can slide in the middle, making it an unofficial 8 seater.. (But front middle dont have seat belt, so consider illegal laa..)

For 1.6L Livina, my personal view is that.. Is better to get 1.8 CVTC engine, due to my own experience of Nissan SA the bigger cc offered by Nissan is always the best choice due to not underpowered and better FC when fetching full load..
+Quote Post
designer69
post Mar 12 2012, 08:46 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(littlefire @ Mar 12 2012, 08:38 AM)
Bro, if really want to buy Avanza, rather get Alza 1.5L.. Same engine, only different driving layout & management.. FR / FF & VVT-i / DVVT..

Somemore Alza front seat for Auto got the folding arm rest, which a small kid can slide in the middle, making it an unofficial 8 seater.. (But front middle dont have seat belt, so consider illegal laa..)

For 1.6L Livina, my personal view is that.. Is better to get 1.8 CVTC engine, due to my own experience of Nissan SA the bigger cc offered by Nissan is always the best choice due to not underpowered and better FC when fetching full load..
After testing New Avanza, we actually very disappointed with it so i don't think will take Avanza lah. Now thinking to get Grand Livina, Only worry the blower and 3rd row space. Does Livina's 2nd row has the foldable arm rest?
+Quote Post
stormlcc
post Mar 12 2012, 09:20 AM

I can't control my G-FORCE addiction!!!

QUOTE(littlefire @ Mar 12 2012, 08:38 AM)

Alza is CRAP, super tight for a ppl carrier, the last row is totally unusable, underpowered as hell, expensive and not to mention if u put your kids in the back seat, anything that crashes into your back, prepare for a funeral. try out the Exora Bold if u r willing to go local

This post has been edited by stormlcc: Mar 12 2012, 09:21 AM
+Quote Post
watonk
post Mar 12 2012, 09:38 AM

My feeling... u need to test the Exora turbo and Cherry eastar. Those cars were also considered as budget mpv. At least u can make a peaceful choice and not going to be surprised later, riding your fren's Exora for example, finding the car offer more value and cold air.

+Quote Post
littlefire
post Mar 12 2012, 09:52 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(stormlcc @ Mar 12 2012, 10:20 AM)
Alza is CRAP, super tight for a ppl carrier, the last row is totally unusable, underpowered as hell, expensive and not to mention if u put your kids in the back seat, anything that crashes into your back, prepare for a funeral.  try out the Exora Bold if u r willing to go local
Bro, seating behind an Estima also can die also.. If god wants you to go back, no mather what car you drive also can die..

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...0521&sec=nation

"an Bee Ling, 39, stopped his Toyota Estima on the emergency lane at KM181.5 of the expressway near Parit Buntar at about 7am yesterday to answer a phone call.

“Moments later, a Toyota Alphard driven by Mohsein Amran, 34, rammed into the Estima, killing the two back passengers,” Kerian OCPD Supt Mat Fauzi Nayan said."

sweat.gif
+Quote Post
neo1point3
post Mar 12 2012, 09:52 AM

Getting Started

Ts...i suggest you the exora, the one with CFE engine completed the exora line. Damn comfortable too, and good NVH. Accelerate effortlessly from 0 to 90 km/h @ 2500 rpm good for city driving and long distance smile.gif
+Quote Post
turbocharged
post Mar 12 2012, 10:03 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(littlefire @ Mar 12 2012, 09:52 AM)
Bro, seating behind an Estima also can die also.. If god wants you to go back, no mather what car you drive also can die..

"an Bee Ling, 39, stopped his Toyota Estima on the emergency lane at KM181.5 of the expressway near Parit Buntar at about 7am yesterday to answer a phone call.

“Moments later, a Toyota Alphard driven by Mohsein Amran, 34, rammed into the Estima, killing the two back passengers,” Kerian OCPD Supt Mat Fauzi Nayan said."

sweat.gif
OOT

emergency lane......why alphard driving at emergency lane?

and this shows sometimes the law is not entirely life saving.

stop at roadside to pick up a call is also dangerous.
+Quote Post
stormlcc
post Mar 12 2012, 10:08 AM

I can't control my G-FORCE addiction!!!

QUOTE(littlefire @ Mar 12 2012, 09:52 AM)

sweat.gif
so true, and so sad

that's why i don't recommend ppl buy hatchback or ppl carrier, buy sedan is safer. once upon a time my mom drove a honda civic eg sedan, a trailer (those huge ones) crashed into her car's back in a traffic light, the trailer's brake failed and is driving at cruising speed (60-70kmph). the car's rear end all crumpled until almost the back seats, the back passengers suffered minor cuts due to broken glass, nothing else. if it was a hatchback or a ppl carrier, i can't imagine what would (surely) happen
+Quote Post
calvin_ng
post Mar 12 2012, 10:12 AM

TeamCity | HCC | Insighters

if you are comparing Grand Livina (low spec 1.6) Vs AVANZA 1.5... just go for Grand Livina... let me tell you why..

1. AVANZA has never gone through any safety rating and this car is not crash worthiness certified.
2. High center of gravity @ AVANZA meaning this car has a high chance of being turtle and a thin A/B/C pillars meaning when the car turn turtle it will collapse and so is your head (too bad)
3. Avanza is not allowed to sell in Singapore due to no safety rating.
4. Nissan Grand Livina is crash certified but it is perform by NCAP China which is 10km lower than standard NCAP but it is certified
5. Grand Livina has lover center of gravity and thicker A/C pillar (I found B pillar is not as thick)
6. It has crumple zone in front and back and high strength steel in the passenger compartment.
7. more quite NVH on grand livina and better interior too.
8. Grand Livina is sell in Taiwan but not Toyota AVANZA (wonder why??)
9. Toyota AVANZA is a cheapo MPV design for 3rd world country... where Grand Livina is to sell as a Asia country...
+Quote Post
r3d2
post Mar 12 2012, 10:14 AM

Getting Started

I bought another Avanza recently after using the first 1.3 for 7 years without facing any problems. It is a convenient people carrier and can seats 7 quite comfortably with good airconditioning. Only drawback is the drive which I think has being improved. By the way Toyota service sucks so I wont be sending my new ones for servicing after the 3 free service.

+Quote Post
turbocharged
post Mar 12 2012, 10:16 AM

Getting Started

grand livina handles better.

and avanza is a van. the name says it all.

grand livina is not a van ( at least doesnt look like one)
+Quote Post
calvin_ng
post Mar 12 2012, 10:18 AM

user posted image

happen to my friend Avanza... 1 vios hit him behind and his avanza just flip over... he is travelling at 90kmh...

see the A/B pillar.... good luck if you drive or buy one... just dont hit or let people hit you
+Quote Post
turbocharged
post Mar 12 2012, 10:32 AM

Getting Started

all those blood
+Quote Post
calvin_ng
post Mar 12 2012, 10:34 AM

A/B pillar collapse so where your head will be... hahaha

the blood is due to the Aircond vent (center overhead vent) it brake and sharp plastic puncture the head... now you know why Grand livina and all those expensive MPV have no overhead aircond vent...

This post has been edited by calvin_ng: Mar 12 2012, 10:34 AM
+Quote Post
kimsim
post Mar 12 2012, 10:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Wah... Blood...

Look like is just only offer the rear aircon vent then you going to buy to avanza sad.gif

The GL even the rear not Aircon but from the front Aircon to be used for 2 bar and facing up and easliy shoot to 3rd row seat at all time.

This post has been edited by kimsim: Mar 12 2012, 10:55 AM
+Quote Post
calvin_ng
post Mar 12 2012, 11:24 AM

People willing to forgo some important safety aspect just because it is a T brand and cheap!!!
+Quote Post
post Mar 12 2012, 11:40 AM

Regular

if accident happen i think what kinda of things also will happen no matter u drive GL or Avanza.... both also milo tin to me.... where Avanza is the worst milo tin.

I dun think any MPV is safe when accident happen. VW sharan also will die. Unless u drive a US Army type Humvee
+Quote Post
kimsim
post Mar 12 2012, 12:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Aiyah buy Hummer or Toyota land cruiser V12 lah.
+Quote Post
neo1point3
post Mar 12 2012, 12:31 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(0300078 @ Mar 12 2012, 11:40 AM)
if accident happen i think what kinda of things also will happen no matter u drive GL or Avanza.... both also milo tin to me.... where Avanza is the worst milo tin.

I dun think any MPV is safe when accident happen. VW sharan also will die. Unless u drive a US Army type Humvee
If like that better walk....coz every car does not act like tank

We suggest TS MPV that reduce fatal risk... e.g.
1) A vios hit avanza from behind.. > avanza terbalik, A and B pillar also dent so badly that will injured passenger and driver head.

2) A vios hit GL from behind... > GL may not terbalik, the A and B pillar I believe stronger than the avanza

But anyway in terms of safety between Avanza, GL, and Exora... i think like this Exora> GL > Avanza (worst)

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Exora vs Avanza
user posted image
+Quote Post
sct
post Mar 12 2012, 12:58 PM

Which car accident rollover @ 90kmh dont hv blood? important thing is the passengers ok or not. I bet they survived, right?
Avanza has GOA body, shared platform with Rush / Terios which is on sale at Singapore.Y Avanza not there? pure commercial reason,instead of "not allowed". Sos pls if u insists.
Nobody deny fact that Avanza is a cheap but DECENT people mover. 1.3M brand new at 64k with 2nd-blower + full-7 capability,where to find? u 1 more refinement pay more la.simple.
+Quote Post
designer69
post Mar 12 2012, 01:48 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(sct @ Mar 12 2012, 12:58 PM)
Which car accident rollover @ 90kmh dont hv blood? important thing is the passengers ok or not. I bet they survived, right?
Avanza has GOA body, shared platform with Rush / Terios which is on sale at Singapore.Y Avanza not there? pure commercial reason,instead of "not allowed". Sos pls if u insists.
Nobody deny fact that Avanza is a cheap but DECENT people mover. 1.3M brand new at 64k with 2nd-blower + full-7 capability,where to find? u 1 more refinement pay more la.simple.
Agree with you. That is why my partner was thinking to get a new Avanza to replace her old Avanza. too bad the new Avanza use really bad material for interior and the seats. Emm... The one she driving is much better.

Again, now only worry about the air cod and space..well I got safety discussion instead, thanks for the extra info. smile.gif

This post has been edited by designer69: Mar 12 2012, 01:49 PM
+Quote Post
turbocharged
post Mar 12 2012, 01:52 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(designer69 @ Mar 12 2012, 01:48 PM)
Agree with you. That is why my partner was thinking to get a new Avanza to replace her old Avanza. too bad the new Avanza use really bad material for interior and the seats. Emm... The one she driving is much better.

Again, now only worry about the air cod and space..well I got safety discussion instead, thanks for the extra info. smile.gif
last time ppl bought avanza cos there is no cheaper toyota.

now, 8 years later, ppl has more choice already.
+Quote Post
calvin_ng
post Mar 12 2012, 02:06 PM

When A pillar collapse it is bad. This prevent door from opening which passenger will be trapped worst B pillar collapse which is the strongest part of the car this pillar is the only hard metal beam that protect against T-Bone colission. If B pillar is so weak the safety aspect of this car is in question
+Quote Post
iSpace
post Mar 12 2012, 02:16 PM

Group: New Member

QUOTE(calvin_ng @ Mar 12 2012, 10:18 AM)
user posted image

happen to my friend Avanza... 1 vios hit him behind and his avanza just flip over... he is travelling at 90kmh...

see the A/B pillar.... good luck if you drive or buy one... just dont hit or let people hit you
Hi my advise is better dont buy avanza.. Although im driving toyota also but have to admit avanza is really not safe. In penang jelutong expressway, ive seen 2 times of flip turtle avanza. My dad saw once. The rest i dont know how..
Reported from a avanza driver which he is one of my dad's fren that his avanza flipped 45% angle once when travelling at 80kmh and his avanza tyre suddenly pancit.. Kancil > avanza

Any other 7 seaters but not this killer car.. If u want fetch kid better buy other unless those taukeh bought for their worker to fetch stocks
+Quote Post
kimsim
post Mar 12 2012, 02:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(neo1point3 @ Mar 12 2012, 12:31 PM)
If like that better walk....coz every car does not act like tank

We suggest TS MPV that reduce fatal risk... e.g.
1) A vios hit avanza from behind.. > avanza terbalik, A and B pillar also dent so badly that will injured passenger and driver head.

2) A vios hit GL from behind... > GL may not terbalik, the A and B pillar I believe stronger than the avanza

But anyway in terms of safety between Avanza, GL, and Exora... i think like this Exora> GL > Avanza (worst)

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Exora vs Avanza
user posted image
The youtube Any compatible to open from iPhone?

Thanks
+Quote Post
sct
post Mar 12 2012, 04:00 PM

QUOTE(designer69 @ Mar 12 2012, 02:48 PM)

U must know wats ur priority as they r on different route: avz decent people carrier,GL comfort 5+2 rider.I oso don agree avz>70k,overprice.4 tat money top-up a bit to get GL is a more logical choice.
+Quote Post
Eiraku
post Mar 12 2012, 04:04 PM

Geeking since 1985!

Avanza frontal crash = get ready to jump into the back seat to get out as the front door is as good as gone. Personal experience.

Oh and be prepared to write it off permenantly. Don't want to complain more because IT DID save me from any serious injuries, even sans airbags. Though it's safe to say that this is a one crash bye bye car.

But after getting my first batch Avz first hand at around 50k, 70k is crazy. Better buy livina or even exora lidat.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Mar 12 2012, 04:26 PM
+Quote Post
kadajawi
post Mar 12 2012, 10:59 PM

Casual

QUOTE(designer69 @ Mar 11 2012, 11:32 PM)

What we concern is the air cond. Only bottom blower for second low and no blower for 3rd row. Is the front aircond (the one heading up) enough for 3rd row? Our Malaysia weather wor... We need to use 3rd row everyday for kid. The space to go up to the 3rd row is very small as well... with the kid's big bag...it will be difficult..  (this is why we are still considering Avanza..).

The Chinese have crash tested the Avanza. It scored an amazing 3 stars, same rating as the Persona and many cheap and lousy Chinese cars. biggrin.gif And the C-NCAP is rather harmless, testing at low speeds, it is easier to achieve a good rating there, so probably in EuroNCAP it should get 1 or 2 stars. Which is really extremely rubbish. Only buy the Avanza if you want to die, the Exora should be a much safer car (supposed to get 4 stars in EuroNCAP, if they were to test it).

The handling shouldn't be improved due to the EPS, normally hydraulic ones are better in terms of feel. BMW and Porsche owners are complaining about the switch to EPS, as far as I recall. Perhaps Toyota has fiddled with the suspension.

Chery Eastar I don't trust. They don't even manage to attach the brand name and model name properly... how good will the rest be?

@calvin_ng: As I mentioned the Avanza did undergo crashtests, but it performed very poor. You have to search for the Daihatsu Xenia or so, as that is the name it is sold under in China.

The Kangoo is a way better car than the Avanza, and the Kangoo II should be beating all of these ASEAN people movers. Space, safety, handling, ...

People think it's a T, it must be safe.

Of course the Touran and Sharan are safe. Try to topple over a Touran with spirited driving... I wouldn't be surprised if a Vios flips before the Touran. Sharan maybe a bit easier, but probably not. Both of these cars also have ESP, so that it will be even harder to flip them.
Where is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz22NuXAFXY not safe?

Humvee you'll probably die though. Nothing to protect you from hitting the steering wheel hard. Very, very hard. Of course perhaps you just drive through the other vehicle, lol.

Obviously you will always find a crash that will kill you, in any car. But under the same conditions a Sharan will let you get out of the crash relatively ok where in an Avanza they will carry you away in a bag. All you can do is to care about safety and get the one that protect you as much as your budget allows. Don't let things like resale value get in the way.

Also do you think the resale value of the Avanza will stay as high as it is when less and less people buy them and it gets less and less popular? People realize it is a dangerous milo tin and that there are better options around. And then...? Things and opinions can change. Soon there should be ASEAN NCAP, EuroNCAP changed things a lot in Europe, so who knows what ASEAN NCAP will do to the ASEAN countries. What if the Avanza gets tested and it gets public how awful it is compared to the Exora?

wow, thanks for the crash test vids neo1point3. Remember that C-NCAP tests at low speeds, compared to EuroNCAP. Any chance you can also find the video for the Xenia/Avanza?

The Kangoo cost around 70k when it was still on sale. With 4 stars EuroNCAP rating (though back then they weren't as strict as they are now, but still much stricter than C-NCAP), you can easily seat 7 adults as long as they aren't too tall (long legs are an issue, the rest isn't), it is practical, corners decently yet isn't too uncomfortable. NHV is also reasonable. FC (high) and performance (poor) isn't, but maintenance isn't a big issue, especially considering it is a conti. I still think apart from the Exora all the new MPVs shouldn't be able to compete. People didn't buy it though...

70k is overpriced as at that sort of money you can get an Exora. You must be mad to take the Avanza.
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1621sec    3.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2015 - 05:25 PM