Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

89 Pages  1 2 3 > »  
RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Update: Ultrabook Discussion, Discuss anything related to ultrabooks!

infernoaswen
post Mar 1 2012, 12:28 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
Group: Senior Member

What makes an ultrabook?

user posted image

List of available ivy bridge ultrabooks:

Asus
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Acer

Lenovo

Dell

Sony

Fujitsu

HP

Toshiba

Samsung

Disclaimer: The above information is gathered from various sources, while deemed to be correct, is not guaranteed thus nobody will be responsible on any outcome caused by it. It is to serve as a guide to readers of this thread.

This post has been edited by infernoaswen: Jun 27 2012, 04:16 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
[PF] T.J.
post Mar 1 2012, 09:14 AM

20k VIP Club

Try Digital Mall or Lowyat Plaza laugh.gif
+Quote Post
flodder
post Mar 1 2012, 09:45 AM

6 batang ab numb addicted with 6 bintang

try Lowyat garages sale / memory drive also can?
+Quote Post
saintmikal
post Mar 1 2012, 10:39 PM

Group: Junior Member

Yes, go to Digital Mall.

Just got mine last week from Wawasan IT.

The book is very sleek - really turns heads!

However, it sucks super big time in the keyboard - it is too shallow and you need to bang the keys like banging an old typewriter - this I am not kidding. On top of it, the mouse jumps like crazy. Just typing this resulted in many errors.

I am now searching for a portable bluetooth keyboard to take the pain out of typing in this super error prone keyboard. Would I recommend it? Well, if you type with 2 fingers and look at the keyboard, I suppose it s ok. Otherwise, stay clear - not worth its weight in gold.
+Quote Post
flodder
post Mar 2 2012, 03:31 AM

6 batang ab numb addicted with 6 bintang

QUOTE(saintmikal @ Mar 1 2012, 10:39 PM)

However, it sucks super big time in the keyboard - it is too shallow and you need to bang the keys like banging an old typewriter - this I am not kidding. On top of it, the mouse jumps like crazy. Just typing this resulted in many errors.

there must something wrong to the keyboard
+Quote Post
infernoaswen
post Mar 2 2012, 09:21 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

QUOTE(saintmikal @ Mar 1 2012, 10:39 PM)
Yes, go to Digital Mall.

Just got mine last week from Wawasan IT.

The book is very sleek - really turns heads!

I am now searching for a portable bluetooth keyboard to take the pain out of typing in this super error prone keyboard. Would I recommend it? Well, if you type with 2 fingers and look at the keyboard, I suppose it s ok. Otherwise, stay clear - not worth its weight in gold.
digital mall got the display set right? i dont want to buy yet...want to try it out first...how it feels like...still collecting money laugh.gif

anyway i tried a few ultrabook...acer is the worst in terms of the keyboard... i feel lenovo keyboard is the best so far (bear in mind i havent try asus yet & i heard its the best ultrabook out there)....toshiba is ok...but the price is crazy & design i dont really like it...

but from my internet research mouse is common problem...they say they will release driver to fix that....& another reason why it jumps is people dont notice but they always accidentally have their thumb or hand on the mouse touchpad....
+Quote Post
[PF] T.J.
post Mar 2 2012, 11:35 PM

20k VIP Club

QUOTE(infernoaswen @ Mar 2 2012, 09:21 PM)
digital mall got the display set right? i dont want to buy yet...want to try it out first...how it feels like...still collecting money  laugh.gif

anyway i tried a few ultrabook...acer is the worst in terms of the keyboard... i feel lenovo keyboard is the best so far (bear in mind i havent try asus yet & i heard its the best ultrabook out there)....toshiba is ok...but the price is crazy & design i dont really like it...

but from my internet research mouse is common problem...they say they will release driver to fix that....& another reason why it jumps is people dont notice but they always accidentally have their thumb or hand on the mouse touchpad....
Based on what I've read, the Toshiba Z830/835 is currently one of the most bang-for-buck laptops out there, and is cheaper than the ZenBook (UX31 of course) laugh.gif But it loses out in built and design...
Tried the HP Folio 13 yet? Its said to be the cheapest ultrabook at the moment (RM2999). Personally I think that the S3 (RM2.6k) is not exactly an ultrabook because of the lack of an SSD, and the screen really wobbles like nobody's business laugh.gif

Regarding the touchpad problem on the ZenBook, it was one of the biggest issues with the ZenBook, a new driver release seemed to have partially solved the problem...
+Quote Post
infernoaswen
post Mar 2 2012, 11:41 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

QUOTE(PF T.J. @ Mar 2 2012, 11:35 PM)
Based on what I've read, the Toshiba Z830/835 is currently one of the most bang-for-buck laptops out there, and is cheaper than the ZenBook (UX31 of course) laugh.gif But it loses out in built and design...
Tried the HP Folio 13 yet? Its said to be the cheapest ultrabook at the moment (RM2999). Personally I think that the S3 (RM2.6k) is not exactly an ultrabook because of the lack of an SSD, and the screen really wobbles like nobody's business laugh.gif

Regarding the touchpad problem on the ZenBook, it was one of the biggest issues with the ZenBook, a new driver release seemed to have partially solved the problem...
>4k is a bit too much for me haha....havent try the folio yet....also couldnt find any display unit....will search at digital mall tho....want to try the dell xps 13 also...they just recently released that...but not sure if come to malaysia already or not laugh.gif
+Quote Post
[PF] T.J.
post Mar 2 2012, 11:44 PM

20k VIP Club

QUOTE(infernoaswen @ Mar 2 2012, 11:41 PM)
>4k is a bit too much for me haha....havent try the folio yet....also couldnt find any display unit....will search at digital mall tho....want to try the dell xps 13 also...they just recently released that...but not sure if come to malaysia already or not  laugh.gif
One variant of the Z830 is less than RM4k:
Toshiba Portégé Z830-1000U, i5-2467M + Intel HD3000 + 128GB SSD@RM3799[1.12kg], W7HP, 6GB

The last time I went to Digital Mall, there was a HP Folio 13 in the All IT Hypermart..
As for the Dell XPS 13, devour said he had attended a preview on the unit... so you can expect it to come in a couple of weeks I guess hmm.gif

Some issues on the XPS 13 according to a review is the below average battery life as well as the constant fan noise...
+Quote Post
infernoaswen
post Mar 2 2012, 11:51 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

QUOTE(PF T.J. @ Mar 2 2012, 11:44 PM)
One variant of the Z830 is less than RM4k:
Toshiba Portégé Z830-1000U, i5-2467M + Intel HD3000 + 128GB SSD@RM3799[1.12kg], W7HP, 6GB

The last time I went to Digital Mall, there was a HP Folio 13 in the All IT Hypermart..
As for the Dell XPS 13, devour said he had attended a preview on the unit... so you can expect it to come in a couple of weeks I guess hmm.gif

Some issues on the XPS 13 according to a review is the below average battery life as well as the constant fan noise...
ooo...havent really read up reviews for xps 13 yet....but carbon fiber + backlight keyboard sure sounds sexy! brows.gif
+Quote Post
[PF] T.J.
post Mar 3 2012, 12:08 AM

20k VIP Club

QUOTE(infernoaswen @ Mar 2 2012, 11:51 PM)
ooo...havent really read up reviews for xps 13 yet....but carbon fiber + backlight keyboard sure sounds sexy!  brows.gif
.....and super expensive too!! cry.gif cry.gif

Here are some of the available reviews bro brows.gif
You'll love it:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400986,00.asp
http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Dell-XPS-13...-Review/?page=1
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/de...ps-13-2012.aspx
+Quote Post
infernoaswen
post Mar 3 2012, 10:15 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

QUOTE(PF T.J. @ Mar 3 2012, 12:08 AM)
laugh.gif thanks bro....will read it... biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
saintmikal
post Mar 3 2012, 11:38 AM

Yes, I agree, the Lenovo U300 is the best keyboard by far...

But the UX 31 wins (compared to most other ultrabooks) on:-

1. Design
2. Speed of wake up
3. Stamina - 6-7 hours on battery life (already tested)
4. SD card slot
5. Speed of connectivity - I am using a bluetooth mouse and it connects the moment I flip the lid open1

The UX 31 sucks big time on:-

1. Keyboard (cannot stress this enough - I am now sourcing for a Bluetooth keyboard to resolve the lack of feedback issues and the super hyper mega slow like a bloody duck registration of keystrokes)
2. Mousepad (I am already on the improved Elan version - still very icky - no matter what they say)

I bought the cheaper version of i5 instead of i7 at a price of RM 3,400.

My advice is if you do buy, be prepared to fork out another RM 400-500 for a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to eliminate these two "unsolvable" issues.

As in anything, you cannot have everything. My only wish is that for this price, one would expect it to be almost perfect.

Snapshot rating (out of 10)

Design - 10
Portability - 10
Connectivity - 9
Usability - 5

Overall rating - 6 (pass, barely - if not for the huge price tag, it would be total failure)

This post has been edited by saintmikal: Mar 3 2012, 11:40 AM
+Quote Post
plateau
post Mar 4 2012, 01:56 PM

Don't Touch My Stars™

I would recommend the hp folio 13. Why? Because of all the good reviews it received and i bought it haha. It's true that the keyboard on the hp is pretty good, unlike the ux31. The mouse is not too bad as well. 2 finger scrolling is quite good and i don't have to use an external mouse for that. You don't need to fork out extra money to get an external keyboard and mouse with the folio.

Anyways, don't take my word for it, check out the reviews from these sites :-
- http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-folio-1...=topProds;prod2
- http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/3/2677280/hp-folio-13-review
- http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399370,00.asp
- http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?...io+13+ultrabook

Alot of reviewers give it the best value for ultrabook and gave it an editors choice. Check out the reviews and do more research for yourself if you don't believe me.

This post has been edited by plateau: Mar 4 2012, 01:58 PM
+Quote Post
infernoaswen
post Mar 4 2012, 02:02 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

actually ux31 had my attention but after reading the thread about asus bad after sales thread (the asus warranty thread) now i have second thoughts about it laugh.gif

will surely check out the folio 13...my previous laptop was also a hp laptop...only thing i dont like about hp is their internal design is so damn complicated....want to take it apart & clean the cpu fans are so difficult! doh.gif

Added on March 4, 2012, 4:41 pmok i looked through some youtube videos online already....the hp folio looks fugly & i hate the glossy screen...my previous hp laptop also had the glossy screen & its really annoying (dont know why hp still using glossy screen)...plus its quite thick & heavy compare to the others....

only lenovo, dell & asus have my greatest attention right now....(oh ya i forget to mention the other day when i tried the toshiba, i feel like their keyboard keys is quite cramp)....just my opinion laugh.gif

This post has been edited by infernoaswen: Mar 4 2012, 04:41 PM
+Quote Post
saintmikal
post Mar 5 2012, 07:02 AM

An ultrabook is suppose to look great and work great - due to the much higher capital outlay compared to others.

I suggest you wait first= I should have waited but my I am now paying for the lack of patience.

On another positive, the UX31 has by far the best screen to date among all ultrabooks because of the 1600x900 resolution - again if they could only improve the keyboard, it definitely will be a MBA killer...
+Quote Post
[PF] T.J.
post Mar 5 2012, 09:26 AM

20k VIP Club

Hoho, the review on the HP Folio 13 is out:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Fol...ok.70750.0.html

Looks great, summary:

Pro

Contra

I guess the Folio 13 is better than the Portege Z830/835 now nod.gif

Added on March 5, 2012, 9:28 am
QUOTE(saintmikal @ Mar 5 2012, 07:02 AM)
An ultrabook is suppose to look great and work great - due to the much higher capital outlay compared to others.

I suggest you wait first= I should have waited but my I am now paying for the lack of patience.

On another positive, the UX31 has by far the best screen to date among all ultrabooks because of the 1600x900 resolution - again if they could only improve the keyboard, it definitely will be a MBA killer...
Imho, having higher resolution doesn't mean its better o hmm.gif
Summore its a 13" notebook...
Its not easy to click on stuffs even on my 14" notebook with HD+ resolution sad.gif But its nice when reading stuffs though~

This post has been edited by [PF] T.J.: Mar 5 2012, 09:28 AM
+Quote Post
saintmikal
post Mar 5 2012, 09:31 AM

Don't read too much into those reviews - they have to say good stuff.

However, notice the way they "cushion" the bad stuff?

So, the best is still to do your own and buy on the points that you want to buy on...much like tackling a girl.

Do you get one who is beautiful but pretty much less useless in everything else or one who cooks, irons, sew, washes but is just a plain Jane?
+Quote Post
AlexLai
post Mar 5 2012, 10:32 AM

"It is iVantage-ous to know an iVantage"

Folio 13 review: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Fol...ok.70750.0.html
+Quote Post
Racerx
post Mar 5 2012, 02:09 PM

Tell Your World

QUOTE(infernoaswen @ Mar 4 2012, 02:02 PM)
actually ux31 had my attention but after reading the thread about asus bad after sales thread (the asus warranty thread) now i have second thoughts about it  laugh.gif

will surely check out the folio 13...my previous laptop was also a hp laptop...only thing i dont like about hp is their internal design is so damn complicated....want to take it apart & clean the cpu fans are so difficult!  doh.gif

Added on March 4, 2012, 4:41 pmok i looked through some youtube videos online already....the hp folio looks fugly & i hate the glossy screen...my previous hp laptop also had the glossy screen & its really annoying (dont know why hp still using glossy screen)...plus its quite thick & heavy compare to the others....

only lenovo, dell & asus have my greatest attention right now....(oh ya i forget to mention the other day when i tried the toshiba, i feel like their keyboard keys is quite cramp)....just my opinion  laugh.gif
Why don't you just get the MBA instead and put Windows on it?The 13' model is RM3849 at their education store,not that much more compared to the RM3499 UX31 .The touchpad and keyboard of the seems to be the best among the Ultrabooks available today so you shouldn't have to resort to buying an external mouse and keyboard .
+Quote Post

89 Pages  1 2 3 > » 
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0690sec    0.31    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 05:01 AM