Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The Tube/ Tube amp / Hybrid amp club, We roll in tubes man~

views

liquidgal
post Feb 16 2014, 05:47 PM

Enthusiast
809 posts

QUOTE(ezwanzazi @ Feb 7 2014, 08:23 PM)
so for fast music the only option is those solid state? how about bass? cant wait to test them out  rclxm9.gif
If you have listen to enough tube amps, actually you will find that the statement "tube amp is thick in mid, soft and slow" is definitely a misconception.
Tube doesn't mean it is slow. It is very much depends on the sound tuning and inner structure of the amp.
Such as Schiit tube amp is known as US sound, which is very powerful and suitable for fast movement songs, definitely not soft. Can check out the reviews.
Besides that, most of the top range desktop amp is actually using tubes. But it doesn't mean they all suitable for slow, relaxing music.

A lot of people also thought that tube amp or tube DAC is warm and thick sound. In fact, DAC like Aune T1, Musical paradise Mp-D1 is very clean sound and definitely not slow.

Solid state amp can also be thick and warm.
The misconception may due to tube amp is more antique products. Sound tuning from the last century, is more to thick, warm, and with sweet sensation. Just like the sound of the vintage CD players.
Some of the tube amps are still using this kind of sound tuning, so a lot of people thought that products with tubes must be warm, thick and slow.
But look at all the vintage cd players, they are all solid state and not tubes. smile.gif

This post has been edited by liquidgal: Feb 16 2014, 06:05 PM
E1 - AKG
post Feb 16 2014, 07:18 PM

Your personal audio store!
6,347 posts

QUOTE(liquidgal @ Feb 16 2014, 05:47 PM)
If you have listen to enough tube amps, actually you will find that the statement "tube amp is thick in mid, soft and slow" is definitely a misconception.
Tube doesn't mean it is slow. It is very much depends on the sound tuning and inner structure of the amp.
Such as Schiit tube amp is known as US sound, which is very powerful and suitable for fast movement songs, definitely not soft. Can check out the reviews.
Besides that, most of the top range desktop amp is actually using tubes. But it doesn't mean they all suitable for slow, relaxing music.

A lot of people also thought that tube amp or tube DAC is warm and thick sound. In fact, DAC like Aune T1, Musical paradise Mp-D1 is very clean sound and definitely not slow.

Solid state amp can also be thick and warm.
The misconception may due to tube amp is more antique products. Sound tuning from the last century, is more to thick, warm, and with sweet sensation. Just like the sound of the vintage CD players.
Some of the tube amps are still using this kind of sound tuning, so a lot of people thought that products with tubes must be warm, thick and slow.
But look at all the vintage cd players, they are all solid state and not tubes.  smile.gif
sweat.gif
fast tube amps are usually hybrids sweat.gif
liquidgal
post Feb 16 2014, 08:09 PM

Enthusiast
809 posts

QUOTE(E1 - AKG @ Feb 16 2014, 07:18 PM)
sweat.gif
fast tube amps are usually hybrids  sweat.gif
Ray Samuels Audio RCA B-52 tube amp (not hybrid) is known as one of the best amp to drive T1 and HD800. It is transparent and not slow.
Another example is to take Aune T1 and X1 as comparison. T1 as tube DAC and X1 as solid state. But T1 is obviously much cleaner sound than X1 and doesn't sound slow at all as compare to X1. X1 is softer and thicker in sound.

We can't really differentiate tube and solid state unit using fast or slow. Tubes have a lot of characteristic. Some tubes are mean for fast movement and some are slow.
Siemen tubes are known as focusing on details, transparency, and pretty fast in movement.
Mullard tubes are thick in mid, warm and slow.

Fast or slow is depends on the sound tuning and inner design of the DAC or amp.
There are also a lot of solid state dac or amp slower than tube one.
Meridian products is thick, warm, definitely not consider as fast.
Lehmann amp is also thick and slow.

Besides that, different countries will tend to have different characteristic in sound tuning. For example US, German, and England, all have their own characteristic.

As mentioned by a forummer earlier, a lot of high range guitar amp is actually using tubes. It is not possible to use an amp with slow and sticky sound for electric guitar.

Some lower range tube amp, tend to emphasise the "tube sound", purposely design the tube amp to be slow, blur, and not transparent. This may cause misconception also. But all this kind of weakness, won't be found in high range machine.

This post has been edited by liquidgal: Feb 16 2014, 10:53 PM
TheGardener
post Nov 23 2014, 01:17 PM

Getting Started
53 posts

Sifu sifu. Amp + speaker below RM2k. Any recommendation ? Tqtq
yen262
post Nov 24 2014, 03:11 PM

Regular
1,080 posts

QUOTE(TheGardener @ Nov 23 2014, 01:17 PM)
Sifu sifu. Amp + speaker below RM2k. Any recommendation ?  Tqtq
Maverick Audio A1 amp, interested? brows.gif
E1 - AKG
post Nov 24 2014, 03:33 PM

Your personal audio store!
6,347 posts

Cary Audio HH1 hybrid brows.gif

user posted image

TheGardener
post Nov 27 2014, 03:42 PM

Getting Started
53 posts

QUOTE(yen262 @ Nov 24 2014, 04:11 PM)
Maverick Audio A1 amp, interested?  brows.gif
Got the Maverick Audio A1 from Bro Yen. TQVM ya.

Gonna try it out tonight and next look for a compatible speaker. rclxm9.gif
yen262
post Nov 28 2014, 10:48 AM

Regular
1,080 posts

QUOTE(TheGardener @ Nov 27 2014, 03:42 PM)
Got the Maverick Audio A1 from Bro Yen. TQVM ya.

Gonna try it out tonight and next look for a compatible speaker.  rclxm9.gif
Thank you rclxms.gif and Enjoy~ nod.gif
Yukieliow
post Nov 28 2014, 12:19 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

i got myself a china tube brand call audio aiqin for rm600+ used.. anyone heard this?

This post has been edited by Yukieliow: Nov 28 2014, 04:37 PM
Rotary7
post Nov 21 2015, 02:15 AM

41 posts

guys...

where do you all buy all these preamp tubes and power tubes?
do you change them by yourselves or send them to technicians?
And... Are they expensive?

mine doesn't need replacement yet... but I'm just looking at the sources on replacement in future...

This post has been edited by Rotary7: Nov 21 2015, 02:50 AM
sonerin
post Nov 21 2015, 07:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,165 posts

What tube you looking for ?
Rotary7
post Nov 21 2015, 07:52 AM

41 posts

Preamp tube 12AX7
Power tube EL84
sonerin
post Nov 21 2015, 10:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,165 posts

You can try some of the shops in amcorp mall
Rotary7
post Nov 21 2015, 12:10 PM

41 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Nov 21 2015, 10:30 AM)
You can try some of the shops in amcorp mall
Ok thanks happy.gif
bsl555
post Nov 21 2015, 02:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,046 posts

My experience is easier sourcing all sorts of choice and buying from Ebay or reputed USA based online tube shops. Of course with our declining currency, its more expensive now and as usual, hifi hobby isn't cheap...sorry about that.
For me I prefer buying online on a need to basis. Lastly do not wholly believe that some highly praised tube will perform the same in your amp. A given tube installed in different stages or wired up with different operating circuitry will yield different performance again, although if you may be lucky it may exhibit a few characteristics of whats been expressed by others who have used it. This is why many tube amp owners roll on with numerous makes of tubes to synergise with the rest of their gear and they personal audio quality desire.

This post has been edited by bsl555: Nov 21 2015, 03:02 PM
Rotary7
post Nov 22 2015, 12:34 AM

41 posts

QUOTE(bsl555 @ Nov 21 2015, 02:57 PM)
My experience is easier sourcing all sorts of choice and buying from Ebay or reputed USA based online tube shops. Of course with our declining currency, its more expensive now and as usual, hifi hobby isn't cheap...sorry about that.
For me I prefer buying online on a need to basis. Lastly do not wholly believe that some highly praised tube will perform the same in your amp. A given tube installed in different stages or wired up with different operating circuitry will yield different performance again, although if you may be lucky it may exhibit a few characteristics of whats been expressed by others who have used it. This is why many tube amp owners roll on with numerous makes of tubes to synergise with the rest of their gear and they personal audio quality desire.
I was thinking of DIY on tube replacement too... despite the fact that sources for tube purchase is quite scarce here... and yea, I was looking at eBay for a great number of choices... but it was just a few minutes ago (now that I'm writing this) that I am deterred to DIY on tube replacement solely for one reason... I don't understand how to bias the power tube... I've read some step-by-step tutorial... but... it's beyond me... can't do it... it's best that I save more money to send it to a qualified technician... didn't know it entails so much hassle to play tube amps... >_<

it's time to look for places to do biasing... O_o
anyway... thanks for the input... happy.gif

This post has been edited by Rotary7: Nov 22 2015, 01:44 AM
wei95
post Jun 22 2019, 01:52 AM

15 posts

can sifu here let me know where can i find a good tube amp repair technician in KL ?
dvorak
post Jul 15 2019, 04:04 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(wei95 @ Jun 22 2019, 01:52 AM)
can sifu here let me know where can i find a good tube amp repair technician in KL ?
Try Mr Oh Sing Her. He may be reached at 012-2060888. He is at OUG
wei95
post Jul 15 2019, 11:29 PM

15 posts

QUOTE(dvorak @ Jul 15 2019, 04:04 PM)
Try Mr Oh Sing Her. He may be reached at 012-2060888. He is at OUG
thanks !
just took back my tube amp and running now!
szecheng
post Jul 31 2019, 04:43 PM

Getting Started
247 posts

user posted image

anyone uses this ?
mine just arrived. i'm new to this tube pre amp thing

14 Pages « < 12 13 14Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0693sec    1.67    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 14th November 2019 - 11:57 PM