Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

7.1 THX system setup

views

TSJSpec2
post Feb 26 2012, 01:12 PM, updated 13y ago

Getting Started
126 posts

Hi all HT experts,

Is it suitable to setup a 7.1 THX system in 10 x 10ft small room?

Herewith some surround sound speaker setup guide by THX.com as below;

7.1 Surround Sound Speaker System Set Up

Attached Image

A 7.1 surround system has seven discrete audio channels, Left, Right, Center, Left Surround, Right Surround, Left and Right Back, and of course, the Subwoofer.

Front Left & Right Speakers (L & R): Place the Front Left and Right speakers at ear height, producing a 45° angle as viewed from the main seat. This delivers a wide sound stage and precise localization of individual sounds.
Center Channel Speaker ©: Place the Center channel speaker either above or below the display. Then, aim the speaker either up or down to point directly at the listener. If you have a perforated projection screen, center this speaker both horizontally and vertically behind the screen.
Surround Left & Right Speakers (SL & SR): Place the SL & SR speakers between 90° to 110° to each side and 2 feet or higher above the listener. The SL & SR speakers recreate the enveloping sound and intense special effects that you experience in the cinema.
Surround Back Left & Right Speakers (SBL & SBR)*: The SBL & SBR speakers should be the direct firing type and placed together on the back wall. This allows the THX Advanced Speaker Array, or ASA technology to deliver its maximum effect. If the SBL and the SBR speakers can not be placed together, refer to your THX Certified Pre-amplifier or Receiver’s “THX Set Up” menu for alternative configurations.
Subwoofer (Sub): There are a few variations for subwoofer placement, depending on how many subwoofers you have in your room. If you have four subs, place one in the middle of each wall. If you have two, put them in the middle of opposing walls. If you have one, place it in the middle of the front wall.

Dolby® TrueHD Or DTS-HD Master Audio™ Set Up

Attached Image

If you use Dolby® TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio™, your back surround speakers should be separated to produce a 60° angle from the main listening position. In addition, you should go to the “THX Set Up” Menu in your THX Certified AV Receiver/Pre-amp and set the ASA Surround Back Speaker setting to “Apart (greater than 48).”

"But they don advise min room side..."
Any advise from all experts?
icon_question.gif

TSJSpec2
post Feb 26 2012, 01:37 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(DannyOP @ Feb 26 2012, 01:25 PM)
No. Your room is too small.
Bro,Pls advise min room size...
TSJSpec2
post Feb 26 2012, 06:00 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(sonerin @ Feb 26 2012, 04:31 PM)
Anyway a square room is not good for sound
No choice,tis is d oni room can use as ht room.
Do u have any others suggestion for my 10x10 room layout? brows.gif
TSJSpec2
post Feb 26 2012, 11:54 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(Mickey C @ Feb 26 2012, 11:43 PM)
5.1 is the best choice, don't think so much....
5.1 will blow your head off also.... trust me boss...
QUOTE(Will.i.am.Smith @ Feb 26 2012, 11:33 PM)
Can do but there'll be not enough space for the separation and sound stage and everything will come under one sound and they'll sound very busy also..
Well,seen like need leave a small room & move to living room 2 setup with 7.1....
Anyway,thx for ur expert's advised... thumbup.gif
TSJSpec2
post Feb 27 2012, 10:37 AM

Getting Started
126 posts

5.1 system layout...

Attached Image

A 5.1 surround system has five discrete audio channels: Left, Right, Center, Left Surround, Right Surround and the Subwoofer.

Front Left & Right Speakers (L & R): Place the Front Left and Right speakers at ear height, producing a 45° angle as viewed from the main seating position. This delivers a wide sound stage and precise localization of individual sounds.
Center Channel Speaker ©: Place the Center channel speaker either above or below the TV. Then, aim the speaker either up or down to point directly at the listener. If you have a perforated projection screen, center this speaker both horizontally and vertically behind the screen.
Surround Left & Right Speakers (SL & SR): Place the SL & SR speakers between 90° to 110° to each side and 2 feet or higher above the listener.
Subwoofer (Sub): If you have two Subs, put them in the middle of opposing walls. If you have one, place it in the middle of the front wall.

This post has been edited by JSpec2: Feb 27 2012, 10:39 AM
TSJSpec2
post Feb 27 2012, 11:55 AM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(DannyOP @ Feb 27 2012, 11:23 AM)
yes, that's the correct setup for your room, as you know you are not sitting on the wall and your tv also has some space in between. After putting all your equipment you probably have 6-7feet distance between the tv and the sofa. It will be another challenge to tune the system since your room is a perfect square. My previous setup also similar size to your room, and it housed 5 subwoofers to get minimal effect lol

On the other hand you save a lot on screen, max tv screen also around 60inch. 50 will also look huge in the room. My recommendation is to use in wall speakers with in wall subwoofer for each channel.. nice and clean setup.

If you want to know what's the ideal room measurement, read this :-
http://www.rpginc.com/news/library/roomsizer.pdf
Bro,y don u add front height surround?
TSJSpec2
post Feb 28 2012, 07:12 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

Is it side speakers must higher than listener 2 ft o above?
Wat bout rear speakers for 7.1?straight 2 listener?

This post has been edited by JSpec2: Feb 28 2012, 07:14 PM
TSJSpec2
post Feb 28 2012, 09:56 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(htkaki @ Feb 28 2012, 09:46 PM)
There are differing recommendations. Some recommend to have the tweeter of all spkrs at same level while the general and more common is 2ft above ear level.
Side & rear speakers oso 2 ft above listener?
TSJSpec2
post Feb 29 2012, 12:42 AM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(jchong @ Feb 28 2012, 11:34 PM)
What is the J-29 spec?
Yaya...i oso dono wats J-29spec...pls guide!!!
TSJSpec2
post Feb 29 2012, 02:39 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(hokiman @ Feb 29 2012, 10:07 AM)
The problem in a small room is lack of wall space to hang up surrounds/back speakers. When I started off HT, I initially followed the 2' above ear level rules as a guideline. But in the end what I did was to keep on repositioning them at different heights  and listen from the listening position. . The final position is the one that gave me the best full bodied and ballance surround effects smile.gif . That is what I did. My current surrounds is 1' to the back and 2.5' above the ear level. nod.gif
1' to the back??enough d??
TSJSpec2
post Feb 29 2012, 10:34 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

Guys,Herewith a link "The ultimate top 10 blu-ray guide for your home theatre" By B&W.

http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/speakers/to.../#comment-15926

Its time to test ur system... rclxm9.gif rclxm9.gif rclxm9.gif

This post has been edited by JSpec2: Feb 29 2012, 10:35 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0179sec    0.56    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:06 PM