Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Yes Disgrace YTL YES mYprize, The NO WINNER Competition

views

TSjiajilah
post Feb 25 2012, 01:07 AM, updated 13y ago

Casual
381 posts

mYprize is a competition organized by YTL Yes when they launched the Yes 4G network. This is a competition challenges developers from across the world to create unique applications, content or devices that highlight the benefits of YTL Communications’ 4G Network in Malaysia.

Together with the YES products launching, this competition successfully created a buzz in the community with prize over 1 million USD and how YES products are aim to serve the community better!

1. Top Applications: 1st: USD$200,000; 2nd: USD$120,000; 3rd: USD$80,000
2. Top 4G Devices: 1st: USD$200,000; 2nd: USD$120,000; 3rd: USD$80,000
3. Malaysian Only Prize: USD$120,000
4. Top Device Idea: USD$40,000
5. Top Application Idea: USD$40,000

Blogs about this competiton:
http://www.myprize.my/
http://www.ytlcomms.my/EN/innovation_network.aspx
http://ytlwimax.com/2010/01/former-aol-vp-...rize-challenge/
http://www.malaysianwireless.com/2010/01/u...obal-developer/
http://www.ytlesolutions.com/shownews.asp?newsid=50893

To learn more about this competition, search "mYprize" in Google.
You might notice that most of the pages within Yes/mYprize" domain were removed.
However, you can still get some screenshots/wording through Google cache and other website that blog about this event.
The discussion within developers in LinkedIn was deleted as well. (I'm 1 of the participants who successfully make it to 2nd round)

After more than a year delay, I finally received an update from the committee. Guess what, the competition is now ended with "NO WINNER" because "the panel of judges regretfully did not find any submission that met the standard required to win mYprize."

The judges panel:
Ishi Singh from Google Singapore, Head of New Business Development, Associate Director of MIT MediaLabs, Partner of Crosslink Ventures, a Silicon Valley Venture Capitalist, Senior Consultant of Light Reading & Dato’ Badlisham, CEO of MDEC.

I beg your pardon? Did I missed out the clause that the organizer reserved the rights to cancel the competition?
Hundreds over brilliant ideas and prototypes submitted to the competition is now worth USD150 each.

Did you organize this competition just to fulfill your marketing strategy?
Is this how you going to end a competition where all the entrepreneurs put their best effort to participate?
This is very disappointed!

Regards,
KC

The NO WINNER email:

"Firstly, on behalf of YTL Communications, we would like to express our sincere appreciation for your participation in the mYprize Global Developer Challenge.

We are pleased to inform you that based on the effort you have made in the development of the prototype, you will receive a merit award of USD150.00 for your submission entitled “XXXXXXXXXXXXXX“ in the “Apps” category.

mYprize was designed to be an international competition for entrepreneurs and innovators around the world to create the next wave of Mobile Internet applications and devices. Whilst we received a good number of interesting ideas and applications, the panel of judges regretfully did not find any submission that met the standard required to win mYprize.

Thus, in the spirit of encouraging innovation and entrepreneurship, YTL Communications has decided to issue merit awards to a larger pool of notable submissions as we wish to encourage participants like you to keep on innovating.

To facilitate disbursement of your merit award via direct deposit, please reply to this email with your bank account details. We will be sending proof of transfer to your email address.
You are free to take forward your submission without any obligations to YTL Communications.
For payment details and further information, please email us at innovation@yes.my.

Thank you again for your participation!

Sincerely,
mYprize Committee"

This post has been edited by jiajilah: Feb 25 2012, 01:24 AM
quikstep
post Feb 25 2012, 01:11 AM

Casual
413 posts

u sold your rights for usd 150. make sure your invention if used is fully compensated
wKkaY
post Feb 25 2012, 05:28 AM

misutā supākoru
Group Icon
VIP
6,008 posts

Heh that sucks. I guess response wasn't good. There's no killer difference between Yes Wimax and other prevailing mobile broadband networks anyway, so whatever you could implement there can be used on other networks too.
SUSsoundsyst64
post Feb 25 2012, 05:33 AM

I'm No-Longer-Noobs
3,725 posts

YTL might use your invention and sell it without you knowing
TSjiajilah
post Feb 25 2012, 10:15 AM

Casual
381 posts

Their network is another issue. What I concern is how can they "settle" a competition or actually a marketing campaign by just giving out $150 each. So the organizer got bored and have no time and YES launched successfully so they are just like, "Nah, here's $150, let's forget about the competition, thank you for your participation".

This post has been edited by jiajilah: Feb 25 2012, 10:50 AM
Thirstyhorse
post Feb 25 2012, 11:17 AM

1 posts

"You are free to take forward your submission without any obligations to YTL Communications."

I belief this is lawyer-talk means you still own your own idea. YTL buggers so much money they give you USD 150 for filling out a form. Wish I also put in some stupid idea and now got RM 150 - can go subscriber to their service. Sign up account also need pay RM 50 :(
TSjiajilah
post Feb 25 2012, 11:35 AM

Casual
381 posts

Thirstyhorse, all the participants had put in so much effort for the design, proposal and the working prototype! The total prize money is 1million USD. I'm not saying I'm the winner but I just can't accept they can just cancel the competition with reason "no submission that met the standard required to win".

If this works, in the future all competitions (including those simple slogan competition) can declare their prize money for up to 10 million (WOW!!!) and easily saved the 10 million using the same way, "no slogan met the standard required to win, try again next time".

This post has been edited by jiajilah: Feb 25 2012, 11:36 AM
dark.knight
post Feb 25 2012, 08:31 PM

Getting Started
166 posts

Someone who took part in that competition and didn't win was hired by Yes, another reason they have this sort of competition, hiring.
xaix
post Feb 26 2012, 04:18 AM

32 posts

I participated before joining YTL Communications, i blog about YES 4G, then i got hired by them. Then i got disqualified from myPrize because im an employee. Then i quit YTL Communications. Now i won USD$150 ... LOL
coolboy_kl
post Feb 27 2012, 11:32 AM

Getting Started
64 posts

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

James, here founder of secQ.me (http://secq.me), like you, I have spend countless of hours to build my prototype for the competition, is running perfectly when I presented the application to YTL mgmt team.. at Dec, 2010

They have postpone the announcement again and again since Jan-2011, and since, secQ.me have won of series of intentional awards, including
- Sony Ericsson 2011 Application Awards
- VentureBeat King of Code Awards
- GIST Startup Competiton
- CNBC - secQ.me

Looks, I am not trying to show off here, if the above awards still not up to par with YTL Standards.. wow, they must be looking on Next Twitter/Google/Facebook ideas..

scamboy
post Feb 27 2012, 11:48 AM

Getting Started
228 posts

Guys, I think one developer juz hacked into one of YTL's website. I'm trying to get the details/screenshot.
ericskwek
post Feb 27 2012, 02:27 PM

1 posts

oh

This post has been edited by ericskwek: Feb 27 2012, 02:28 PM
jasonhor
post Feb 27 2012, 05:34 PM

Getting Started
208 posts

Guess what, they even closed up their facebook page.
TSjiajilah
post Feb 27 2012, 05:49 PM

Casual
381 posts

They removed fanpage, Linkin group, related pages within their website etc.
You hit "error page" for all pages within their control.
This is very unprofessional way of handling event.
jasonhor
post Feb 27 2012, 05:58 PM

Getting Started
208 posts

who else got the email? i dont get any email even though i got two entries in the top list.
langsatduke
post Feb 29 2012, 05:30 PM

1 posts

Here is something nice from us devel developers who work tirelessly.. to win the game..

F$#$# YTL,.
May some hackers rot and deface u

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=FYbCgziw

Added on February 29, 2012, 5:31 pmHere is something nice from us devel developers who work tirelessly.. to win the game..

F$#$# YTL,.
May some hackers rot and deface u

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=FYbCgziw

This post has been edited by langsatduke: Feb 29 2012, 05:31 PM
colin83
post Mar 11 2012, 01:22 PM

Getting Started
130 posts

YTL stole ideal and they implement the project by themself.. in return giving back $usd 150... wtf

Added on March 11, 2012, 1:33 pmcall them or flood their email account..

[Administrative Contact Code] CKEY0000022263
Kenny Tham
YTL Communications Sdn Bhd
8th. Floor, One Oriental Place,
No.1, Jalan Hang Lekiu,
50100 Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
Malaysia
dnsadmin@ytlcomms.my
(Tel) 603-20278888
(Fax) -

i [Billing Contact Code] CKEY0000015256
Ang Chu San
8th Floor, One Oriental Place,
No.1, Jalan Hang Lekiu,
50100 Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
Malaysia
chusan.ang@ytlcomms.my
(Tel) 603-20278864
(Fax) -

j [Technical Contact Code] CKEY0000022264
Kenny Tham
8th. Floor, One Oriental Place,
No.1, Jalan Hang Lekiu,
50100 Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
Malaysia
dnsadmin@ytlcomms.my
(Tel) 603-20278888
(Fax) -

This post has been edited by colin83: Mar 11 2012, 01:35 PM
warlords07
post Mar 11 2012, 03:39 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(quikstep @ Feb 25 2012, 01:11 AM)
u sold your rights for usd 150. make sure your invention if used is fully compensated
*development. Semantics matter here.
coolboy_kl
post Mar 12 2012, 06:00 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

My Friend who idea has shortlisted as well, have talk to few people in charge..

-------------------------------------------------------
So Finally met 2 people, the meeting was in mid valley out of their office as their was some logistics conflict within the management there so I think the concerned side wanted to meet me. I raised the questions on why they never got back to the developers and what the ridiculous letter was all about meeting standards when no standards were defined by YTL and how such a move will surely affect their brand and lose developers support. After voicing out the frustration on mine and everyone's behalf.,

Below is exactly what they said

1.We acknowledge what has happened, and we wish we could go back and change this but unfortunately we cannot.

2, we are a new team that came and we have come to know only recently about all these problems once the letter was recently sent out and based on everyone's reply is why we wanted to meet with someone regarding all this as we are new and want to know the whole story.

3. From a marketing point view, we need developers to be part of us but YES cannot issue a myprize competition because of the delay and what has happened.

4.At current stage we cannot fund ideas or fund any developing/in development apps.

5.There is business strategy that we definitely cannot disclose at the moment on what Yes 4G is going to do or what their intentions are.

6.We want to support developers but some things have gone wrong and we are trying to fix it.
-------------------------------------------------------
After this much was said, I understood some things but anyway the meeting was supposed to be beneficial to us developers so I suggested something and they have an interest in it.

1.I asked them to build a market place on the Yes.my Portal. This market place will atleast allow us developers to put up our apps.They agreed to this but they need to select the apps as making it free flow would not get them permission to do so.

2.They want to know how what we have in mind to monetize those apps if a marketplace can be build.will the revenue come from customers downloading or advertisements. Probably some ways to select the winning app from a selection of apps and preload them on their devices they partner their service with

3.They can mentor us developers and hold our hand to lead us on how to probably make the apps more 4G characteristic if needed, and if possible provide recommendation on other ISP's if product needs to diversify

4.They will not tie our apps down to the Yes ISP only.

So this is the suggestion they have asked me to take to all you guys.

But whatever they said at the meeting today they still have to take this matter to the executive management in YEs 4G next week itself to see what their answer is.So again it all depends on that and they will contact me to discuss.

Anyway I don't think this meeting was as fruitful
-----------------------------------------------------------------

game333
post Mar 14 2012, 12:55 PM

Casual
388 posts

QUOTE(dark.knight @ Feb 25 2012, 08:31 PM)
Someone who took part in that competition and didn't win was hired by Yes, another reason they have this sort of competition, hiring.
Why is this said so? Curious... blink.gif

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0185sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:01 PM