RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> do you think i should do PhD in Malaysia?, no money to cont' study aboard

likimikuku
post Feb 23 2012, 04:33 AM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(zeist @ Feb 22 2012, 10:06 PM)
Meh ain't trolling for sure. Just saying the truth.

How long it gonna take to save up RM400K again? How old are you again?

Good luck.
my degree till MSc total up is less than RM100k... 29 this year biggrin.gif
you sound like you are not happy with what i am doing... is study really that bad??

or you just butthurt that i able to fund my study???
or you think education is waste of money and you haz a sad for me...lol

QUOTE(hwt @ Feb 22 2012, 10:31 PM)
I doubt anyone will pay for a doctoral program.  Many people are able to save thousands/tens of thousands of dollars from financial aid when doing master's.  How can a person survive three to five years without income?  Almost everyone is on some sort of scholarship.  Though a scholarship is more or less guaranteed as long as you are admitted, it is probably worthwhile to note that the amount is tiny.  I read about a top Malaysian student who is enrolled in a Cambridge doctoral program getting 12k GBP a year.  This is an awfully small amount of money.  However, if you think it is fine, then may be you are a suitable candidate. smile.gif
erm.. i am not sure, none of my friend/family had done PhD or offer funding for PhD..
GBP12k is not a small amount dude... drool.gif drool.gif

i will be glad if some Uni offer me a PhD research program...

QUOTE(lopo90 @ Feb 22 2012, 11:01 PM)
Sorry, I thought you were another typical asian mentality person who takes PhD for the pay. Guess I kinda went overboard there rolleyes.gif

Let me make it up to you,

You know that RM 200 voucher the gomen gave?

I really have no use of it and was thinking of giving it to someone else who needs it more then me but I don't really know who to give it to.

Well, I know who to give it to now, I know it isn't much but this will help ease your financial burden in some way. Please accept it.

I'm not trolling you or anything now. I'm serious.

I really think you should have it, let me know ya  wink.gif
dude, now you make me feel like crying.. for offering me help
is alright mang, you keep the 200 voucher...
me all good..

bro hug
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

QUOTE(cassie_90 @ Feb 22 2012, 11:03 PM)
I thought QS fellows earn big bucks..
This post has been edited by likimikuku: Feb 23 2012, 04:33 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
YummyFriedOnions
post Feb 23 2012, 06:08 AM

Group: Junior Member

It's a bit hard to get scholarships to Europe at this time, but you can try around Asia or US.

My friend just got her application for a European research assistant post rejectd. There were 140+ applicants for the same position and she has published tonnes of papers and patents after her Masters when working at a R&D centre.

+Quote Post
XtraSpicy
post Feb 23 2012, 06:19 AM

QUOTE(YummyFriedOnions @ Feb 23 2012, 06:08 AM)
It's a bit hard to get scholarships to Europe at this time, but you can try around Asia or US.

My friend just got her application for a European research assistant post rejectd. There were 140+ applicants for the same position and she has published tonnes of papers and patents after her Masters when working at a R&D centre.
Wow. Is she applying to work in ETH Zurich? Maybe she can try getting a phD and then work from there? Where I am studying basically as long as results are not bad. (strong second upper class), getting a phD position is not very hard. I blame the ministry of defense here for still having a big budget despite all the cuts in cost.

Back to topic. TS, it depends on what you want to work after the phD also I think. If you are not thinking of being a lecturer or a researcher, I think getting a phD in Malaysia is kind of pointless. I definitely cannot do a phD, research is not my cup of tea.
+Quote Post
TSOM
post Feb 23 2012, 06:40 AM

Regular

You're so interested in that field that you want to spend 4 years in it?
+Quote Post
likimikuku
post Feb 23 2012, 06:56 AM

On my way

QUOTE(YummyFriedOnions @ Feb 23 2012, 06:08 AM)

wow.. i am jelly

QUOTE(TSOM @ Feb 23 2012, 06:40 AM)
You're so interested in that field that you want to spend 4 years in it?
i have some question that i want to find out..
+Quote Post
jonchai
post Feb 23 2012, 07:03 AM

Ask me anything

Go for Doctorate of Letters. Get for free.
+Quote Post
YummyFriedOnions
post Feb 23 2012, 07:08 AM

QUOTE(XtraSpicy @ Feb 23 2012, 06:19 AM)
Wow. Is she applying to work in ETH Zurich? Maybe she can try getting a phD and then work from there? Where I am studying basically as long as results are not bad. (strong second upper class), getting a phD position is not very hard. I blame the ministry of defense here for still having a big budget despite all the cuts in cost.
Wow! Sarcasm detected.

She's applying for a very specific area. Not sure what's the research is like in ETH for her area, but she applied for a uni in Sweden.

Singapore seems to like her, though. So I think she'll be heading down south.

+Quote Post
XtraSpicy
post Feb 23 2012, 07:30 AM

QUOTE(YummyFriedOnions @ Feb 23 2012, 07:08 AM)
Wow! Sarcasm detected.

She's applying for a very specific area. Not sure what's the research is like in ETH for her area, but she applied for a uni in Sweden.

Singapore seems to like her, though. So I think she'll be heading down south.
No really. What I said is nothing less than the truth and I dont mean to be sarcastic. I have received emails from professors (the email are directed to everyone in the final year, saying there are many slots available in phD and if anyone is interested, they are willing to have a meeting and see where it goes.) My uni though is very good in radar research, hence the funding from ministry of defense. Yesterday, in my master level course, my lecturer just casually brought over in a conversation that he gives lectures to people in NATO very regularly. Everyone was like WTF. Then again, he is really crazy about radar.

Check out: http://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/staff/academic/hgriffit#

Some of my friend even did phD from a BEng degree, and from what I know their result are good but not amazing.

I say phD is easy to get, doesnt mean everyone can do it. Definitely not me. I am already sick of my final year project.

This post has been edited by XtraSpicy: Feb 23 2012, 07:34 AM
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Feb 23 2012, 09:19 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

QUOTE(likimikuku @ Feb 22 2012, 12:40 PM)
oh... i miss wan tak hor
lol... too late..
how to vroom vroom with them
azarimy didnt get scholarship from UK la.. he got it from Uitm.. is a bond or something...
in Uitm... he is bond with UITM
for real??
why?? that my dream... because a kid is retard... then no need study? me rant  mad.gif  mad.gif
UiTM? piss off.

UTM ler.
+Quote Post
likimikuku
post Feb 23 2012, 05:34 PM

On my way

QUOTE(azarimy @ Feb 23 2012, 09:19 AM)
UiTM? piss off.

UTM ler.
sorry lo...
wei... me want apply for PhD...do UTM still send ppl to Sheffield Uni/Sheffield Hallam??
+Quote Post
yellownblack
post Feb 23 2012, 05:45 PM

QUOTE(likimikuku @ Feb 23 2012, 04:33 AM)
my degree till MSc total up is less than RM100k... 29 this year biggrin.gif
you sound like you are not happy with what i am doing... is study really that bad??

or you just butthurt that i able to fund my study???
or you think education is waste of money and you haz a sad for me...lol
erm.. i am not sure, none of my friend/family had done PhD or offer funding for PhD..
GBP12k is not a small amount dude... drool.gif  drool.gif
Dude if your heart is really for then go for it..some people just look at the monetary aspect of it...but really its better to spend money to fulfill your dreams than to save and later live a life of regret...If there is a will, there is a way but I don't think you should do PHD in Malaysia lah...Last time when when I was in Uni..my professor said where you do your undergraduate degreee is not so important but graduate degree different story ....

+Quote Post
elven88
post Feb 23 2012, 07:44 PM

QUOTE(likimikuku @ Feb 22 2012, 09:03 PM)
hi guys,

i just finish my MSc, now considering to go for PhD...
but i have no money to do it aboard...cause i used up all my saving for my MSc in UK

any other choices??

or should i just go tanam jagung??

pls guys... i have no friend to ask... pls help me...

me 4everalone... and poorfag
u go work la. y wan tanam jagung. if u go do phd later come back malaysia no guarantee can get job.
+Quote Post
Catoblepas
post Feb 23 2012, 07:53 PM

So you wanna become professor in University ?
If not , not encourage further study la, kinda waste money.

Catoblepas
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Feb 23 2012, 09:03 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE(likimikuku @ Feb 23 2012, 09:34 AM)
sorry lo...
wei... me want apply for PhD...do UTM still send ppl to Sheffield Uni/Sheffield Hallam??
nobody's gonna send u to sheffield hallam laa wei. if u're going to SHU, might as well just study in malaysia.
+Quote Post
likimikuku
post Feb 23 2012, 11:27 PM

On my way

QUOTE(yellownblack @ Feb 23 2012, 05:45 PM)
Dude if your heart is really for then go for it..some people just look at the monetary aspect of it...but really its better to spend money to fulfill your dreams than to save and later live a life of regret...If there is a will, there is a way but I don't think you should do PHD in Malaysia lah...Last time when when I was in Uni..my professor said where you do your undergraduate degreee is not so important but graduate degree different story ....
aiyo... me result not that good and dun think i have chance to apply for scholarship to fund my PhD aboard... so local is my only choice... cry.gif

QUOTE(elven88 @ Feb 23 2012, 07:44 PM)
u go work la. y wan tanam jagung. if u go do phd later come back malaysia no guarantee can get job.
i was thinking to go for academic ma...
so... PhD is needed..

QUOTE(Catoblepas @ Feb 23 2012, 07:53 PM)
So you wanna become professor in University ?
If not , not encourage further study la, kinda waste money.

Catoblepas
i just want to become lecturer in uni.. smile.gif

QUOTE(azarimy @ Feb 23 2012, 09:03 PM)
nobody's gonna send u to sheffield hallam laa wei. if u're going to SHU, might as well just study in malaysia.
you not from Sheffield Uni meh??
last time UTM sent you there what ??

+Quote Post
azarimy
post Feb 25 2012, 12:10 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE(likimikuku @ Feb 23 2012, 03:27 PM)
aiyo... me result not that good and dun think i have chance to apply for scholarship to fund my PhD aboard... so local is my only choice... cry.gif
i was thinking to go for academic ma...
so... PhD is needed..
i just want to become lecturer in uni..  smile.gif
you not from Sheffield Uni meh??
last time UTM sent you there what ??
this is the common misconception. people thought University of Sheffield (UoS) and Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) are the same. actually, it's NOT.

the top world ranking university is University of Sheffield. SHU on the other hand is not in most world ranking, somewhere along the line of malaysian universities. hence SHU is not in JPA's list of 4 star universities, let alone 5 star. which explains where no malaysian sponsored students end up there.

there are still many malaysians end up in SHU though. mostly bcoz of twinning programmes from some colleges in malaysia, and the illusion that they're going to graduate from a world class university. sadly not.
+Quote Post
popcorn513
post Feb 25 2012, 12:16 AM

☆(≡ω≡.)☆

QUOTE(Irzani @ Feb 22 2012, 08:08 PM)
ayam no go abroad .. ayam no moneh ... all 80K moneh stuck in stock market ...  cry.gif  cry.gif  cry.gif
I just pull out all cash from KLSE, prepare those money for further study rclxms.gif

Added on February 25, 2012, 12:20 amTs why not find a job in uk and collect the money for further study again?

This post has been edited by popcorn513: Feb 25 2012, 12:20 AM
+Quote Post
likimikuku
post Feb 25 2012, 12:36 AM

On my way

QUOTE(azarimy @ Feb 25 2012, 12:10 AM)
this is the common misconception. people thought University of Sheffield (UoS) and Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) are the same. actually, it's NOT.

the top world ranking university is University of Sheffield. SHU on the other hand is not in most world ranking, somewhere along the line of malaysian universities. hence SHU is not in JPA's list of 4 star universities, let alone 5 star. which explains where no malaysian sponsored students end up there.

there are still many malaysians end up in SHU though. mostly bcoz of twinning programmes from some colleges in malaysia, and the illusion that they're going to graduate from a world class university. sadly not.
ok... did i make you confuse... anyway, not important..
i reframe my question... did UTM send you to Uni of Sheffield??on a bond or some program??
if so, do they still offer this program??

QUOTE(popcorn513 @ Feb 25 2012, 12:16 AM)
I just pull out all cash from KLSE, prepare those money for further study rclxms.gif

Added on February 25, 2012, 12:20 amTs why not find a job in uk and collect the money for further study again?
UK pay is too damn low... and i dun think i will find a job that i want..
plus.. if i want earn big money.. i will go back to work in africa or dubai
+Quote Post
Irzani
post Feb 25 2012, 08:41 AM

Just you know why .. why u and i ...

QUOTE(popcorn513 @ Feb 25 2012, 12:16 AM)
Real man notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
+Quote Post
fiqir
post Feb 25 2012, 08:56 AM

QUOTE(likimikuku @ Feb 22 2012, 08:27 PM)
me yellow man.. and my result is not that gooding... plus, they will not apply visa for me...
not gooding result. re-take other MSC course .score better mark this time. smile.gif
+Quote Post

5 Pages « < 2 3 4 5 >
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0892sec    2.11    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 01:38 PM