Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> how to setup TP-LINK Access Point, as repeater? (Wireless Problems)

imperialrealcs
post Feb 20 2012, 12:15 AM

IMPERIAL DEATH STAR!
Group: Senior Member

Personal equipment
Modem Router: TP-LINK TD-W8961ND
Access Point: TL-WA901ND
Firewall used: Windows

Problem details
So i was told that getting the WA901ND i can setup repeater mode for my current modem router (root AP).
my modem router was setup using Malaysia channel 9, 20/40hz, and WPA2-PSK with AES encryption as "12345678" without WDS.

at the access point, i choose "Universal Repeater" mode and managed to search the root AP and connect it via MAC address of the device. then i setup the security to follow exactly as the one in root AP. DHCP was disabled by default.

i can see activity in the status page of the repeater but my farthest pc can only get 1~2 bar on the wireless which is the exact same with or without repeater.
besides that, if i turn on the repeater, i cant even manage to online with it unless i turn the repeater off.
i tried deleting the wireless network and reconnect also the same.

can anybody tell me which part am i doing it wrong? thanks alot!
tried consulting TP-LINK customer service but they claim is the repeater problem after a series of step by step configuration with them via email.
however, today after 1 on 1 exchange the problem still persist.

btw, both are using latest firmware available. pls help!

simple layout of my network topology:
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dcheah
post Feb 20 2012, 12:50 PM

Enthusiast

1. Ensure the bridging / repeating mode is connected correctly.

2. Try ping the 1st AP & 2nd AP, if there's reply then all is good.

3. Configure 2nd AP to get DHCP Relay from 1st AP.

4. Check all computer connected are having the IP range & uses the 1st AP as the default gateway.

+Quote Post
kaisam
post Feb 20 2012, 06:38 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(imperialrealcs @ Feb 20 2012, 12:15 AM)
Personal equipment
Modem Router: TP-LINK TD-W8961ND
Access Point: TL-WA901ND
Firewall used: Windows

Problem details
So i was told that getting the WA901ND i can setup repeater mode for my current modem router (root AP).
my modem router was setup using Malaysia channel 9, 20/40hz, and WPA2-PSK with AES encryption as "12345678" without WDS.

at the access point, i choose "Universal Repeater" mode and managed to search the root AP and connect it via MAC address of the device. then i setup the security to follow exactly as the one in root AP. DHCP was disabled by default.

i can see activity in the status page of the repeater but my farthest pc can only get 1~2 bar on the wireless which is the exact same with or without repeater.
besides that, if i turn on the repeater, i cant even manage to online with it unless i turn the repeater off.
i tried deleting the wireless network and reconnect also the same.

can anybody tell me which part am i doing it wrong? thanks alot!
tried consulting TP-LINK customer service but they claim is the repeater problem after a series of step by step configuration with them via email.
however, today after 1 on 1 exchange the problem still persist.

btw, both are using latest firmware available. pls help!

simple layout of my network topology:
Attached Image
IF not my mistake repeater only can use WEP.

WDS then can use WPA or WPA2.

Thank you. nod.gif
+Quote Post
imperialrealcs
post Feb 20 2012, 06:51 PM

IMPERIAL DEATH STAR!

QUOTE(dcheah @ Feb 20 2012, 12:50 PM)
1. Ensure the bridging / repeating mode is connected correctly.

2. Try ping the 1st AP & 2nd AP, if there's reply then all is good.

3. Configure 2nd AP to get DHCP Relay from 1st AP.

4. Check all computer connected are having the IP range & uses the 1st AP as the default gateway.
1. confirm connected. can see my ssid activity in repeater
2. ping both also no problem. but very very slow. if use cmd ping, sometimes will drop connection coz only 1~2bar
3. no such thing as DHCP relay in my repeater. but all the pc can get dhcp

QUOTE(kaisam @ Feb 20 2012, 06:38 PM)
IF not my mistake repeater only can use WEP.

WDS then can use WPA or WPA2.

Thank you.  nod.gif
even if no security also kenot.
+Quote Post
kaisam
post Feb 20 2012, 11:49 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(imperialrealcs @ Feb 20 2012, 06:51 PM)
1. confirm connected. can see my ssid activity in repeater
2. ping both also no problem. but very very slow. if use cmd ping, sometimes will drop connection coz only 1~2bar
3. no such thing as DHCP relay in my repeater. but all the pc can get dhcp
even if no security also kenot.
The repeater function not run properly then the speed is very slow.

The DHCP is provided by AP not by repeater.

U can try universal repeater.

If still can't. Maybe u can try WDS, more easy to configure and success.

Thank you. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by kaisam: Feb 20 2012, 11:53 PM
+Quote Post
coolstore
post Feb 21 2012, 06:03 PM

On my way

G class repeater mode support WEP encryption, N class already can support all newer WPA/WPA2.

so can try:
1) different encryption mode - let say no auto mode, choose fixed WPA2-xxx sth.

2) back to use WDS, then 901ND choose normal repeater mode, not universal repeater.

** in fact, heard 901ND this models got lots of problems compared to others.
+Quote Post
imperialrealcs
post Feb 21 2012, 06:35 PM

IMPERIAL DEATH STAR!

QUOTE(coolstore @ Feb 21 2012, 06:03 PM)
G class repeater mode support WEP encryption, N class already can support all newer WPA/WPA2.

so can try:
1) different encryption mode - let say no auto mode, choose fixed WPA2-xxx sth.

2) back to use WDS, then 901ND choose normal repeater mode, not universal repeater.

** in fact, heard 901ND this models got lots of problems compared to others.
i never use auto mode in any config.
all awhile using wpa2psk AES. but i tried with WEP also no luck.

with or without WDS also cant. i tried with other root ap also cant. headache
+Quote Post
kaisam
post Feb 21 2012, 08:44 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(imperialrealcs @ Feb 21 2012, 06:35 PM)

If ur model is tl-wa901nd v1 then can try dd-wrt then i think can use repeater mode.

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V...k_tl-wa901ndv1/

Thank you. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
coolstore
post Feb 24 2012, 12:05 PM

On my way

go to their service center, let the personnel diagnose on the spot. the version of product is also important.

such as 841nd v7 is good, the coming 841nd v8 get xxx by foreigners bcoz RAM drop half! and different chipset.
+Quote Post
soonwai
post Feb 25 2012, 02:27 PM

Why not use WDS?

I just setup with 2 x WR841ND like this. Works perfect.

(WR841ND#1) <-------------WDS--> (WR841ND#2)

#1 is router to UniFi
I use 2 different SSIDs, monkey1 & monkey2, so I know which one I'm connecting to.
+Quote Post
xelamil
post Feb 26 2012, 12:43 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(imperialrealcs @ Feb 21 2012, 06:35 PM)

I use the same model of AP.

My setup...
Universal Repeater mode, Channel 11, static IP.

Main modem router is the b/g Riger router/modem from TM. So limited to WEP with preshared key selected.

Not all my devices work with the AP. For some unknown reason, my dm1 laptop just won't connect to the AP.

+Quote Post
heliora
post Feb 27 2012, 05:12 AM

Getting Started

ok i just went through the frustration of spending a good 5 hours to configure my wireless repeater while coming across this timely thread, not sure if my experience will help but i'll just share it anyway to vent

mine's also TL-WA901ND, in essence i made the mistake of first choosing repeater mode instead of universal repeater, and subsequently turning to dynamic IP for the repeater which i think is irrelevant, and then did not set the wireless security setting up for the repeater to be the same as the router's, thinking they're separate

in the end i got it to work after the following settings:
- changing the static IP of the repeater to the same subnet as the router's, and make sure it's within the DHCP range of the router's
- not sure if it matters but put in the router's IP address in the repeater's settings
- chose universal repeater mode
- keyed the router's WPA key into the repeater's settings
- connect to the router's SSID

and voila, it works now

i think the first step you have to do is make sure the repeater is connected to the router by doing the diagnostic under system tools in the repeater and ping the router from the repeater, if it times out then something above is wrong
+Quote Post
imperialrealcs
post Feb 27 2012, 09:44 PM

IMPERIAL DEATH STAR!

QUOTE(soonwai @ Feb 25 2012, 02:27 PM)
Why not use WDS?

I just setup with 2 x WR841ND like this. Works perfect.

(WR841ND#1) <-------------WDS--> (WR841ND#2)

#1 is router to UniFi
I use 2 different SSIDs, monkey1 & monkey2, so I know which one I'm connecting to.
so ur repeater was managed as an access point instead of universal repeater mode am i correct?

QUOTE(heliora @ Feb 27 2012, 05:12 AM)
ok i just went through the frustration of spending a good 5 hours to configure my wireless repeater while coming across this timely thread, not sure if my experience will help but i'll just share it anyway to vent

mine's also TL-WA901ND, in essence i made the mistake of first choosing repeater mode instead of universal repeater, and subsequently turning to dynamic IP for the repeater which i think is irrelevant, and then did not set the wireless security setting up for the repeater to be the same as the router's, thinking they're separate

in the end i got it to work after the following settings:
- changing the static IP of the repeater to the same subnet as the router's, and make sure it's within the DHCP range of the router's
- not sure if it matters but put in the router's IP address in the repeater's settings
- chose universal repeater mode
- keyed the router's WPA key into the repeater's settings
- connect to the router's SSID

and voila, it works now

i think the first step you have to do is make sure the repeater is connected to the router by doing the diagnostic under system tools in the repeater and ping the router from the repeater, if it times out then something above is wrong
how to do so? put in the default gateway under LAN in repeater?
+Quote Post
soonwai
post Feb 28 2012, 12:20 AM

QUOTE(imperialrealcs @ Feb 27 2012, 09:44 PM)
so ur repeater was managed as an access point instead of universal repeater mode am i correct?
The terminology is a bit of a grey area.

The WR841ND is primarily a router, a wifi router, so it is also a wireless access point. It doesn't have all the features of the TPLink wireless access points models. There is only one option for repeater function and that is WDS. In other TPLink models, what is called the "Repeater" function is also WDS. WDS only works with other wifi routers/access points that have WDS. "Universal Repeater" mode works with any wifi routers/access points, without the need for WDS. I've tried it once with WR701N connecting to a DLink wifi router but it was very unreliable.

I prefer using WDS because it's easier to troubleshoot, the main wifi router and the access point running WDS can have different SSIDs so you can ensure that you're connecting to the stronger one.

In universal repeater mode, I think SSID must be the same. Sometimes the PC will connect to one or the other and you'd only have 2 bars when you should be having 5. Only way to check is to see which BSSID you're connecting to.

When you start setting it up whether you're using WDS or Universal Repeater, my suggestion is to disable any encryption. Once you have everything running OK then you can enable encryption.

This post has been edited by soonwai: Feb 28 2012, 12:22 AM
+Quote Post
heliora
post Feb 28 2012, 01:17 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(imperialrealcs @ Feb 27 2012, 09:44 PM)
how to do so? put in the default gateway under LAN in repeater?
as per the attached screenshot, think you probably woulda entered that already

after setting up the wireless repeater, the internet connection became really slow this morning, and also my laptop couldn't connect to it later in the evening, both occasions the repeater had to be rebooted and things went back to normal

not sure if it's the instability of the repeater or just a one-off glitch, will see how it goes

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
soonwai
post Feb 29 2012, 11:19 AM

QUOTE(heliora @ Feb 28 2012, 01:17 AM)
as per the attached screenshot, think you probably woulda entered that already
after setting up the wireless repeater, the internet connection became really slow this morning, and also my laptop couldn't connect to it later in the evening, both occasions the repeater had to be rebooted and things went back to normal

not sure if it's the instability of the repeater or just a one-off glitch, will see how it goes
That's exactly the problem I had when I was using Universal Repeater from my TPlink to a DLink router. So far with WDS with 2 identical routers, it has been OK. Time will tell.
+Quote Post
heliora10
post Feb 29 2012, 11:16 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(soonwai @ Feb 29 2012, 11:19 AM)
That's exactly the problem I had when I was using Universal Repeater from my TPlink to a DLink router. So far with WDS with 2 identical routers, it has been OK. Time will tell.
you have the exact same problem? lol shit

ya i'm connecting the TL-WA901ND to the default Unifi Dlink router, and the connection just shut off earlier, couldn't connect to the repeater and had to reboot again

sigh what to do now, live with it and reboot every now and then? or set it up like yours, which means i'll have to spend money again..is there a way to automate the rebooting process? like every 6 hours or something
+Quote Post
soonwai
post Mar 1 2012, 12:32 AM

QUOTE(heliora10 @ Feb 29 2012, 11:16 PM)
you have the exact same problem? lol shit

ya i'm connecting the TL-WA901ND to the default Unifi Dlink router, and the connection just shut off earlier, couldn't connect to the repeater and had to reboot again

sigh what to do now, live with it and reboot every now and then? or set it up like yours, which means i'll have to spend money again..is there a way to automate the rebooting process? like every 6 hours or something
I think what is happening is that the TPLink is losing connection to the DLink. How strong is the signal at the location of TPLink? Maybe put a bit closer to the DLink. Worth trying. Are they all on the same floor?
+Quote Post
heliora10
post Mar 1 2012, 01:48 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(soonwai @ Mar 1 2012, 12:32 AM)
I think what is happening is that the TPLink is losing connection to the DLink. How strong is the signal at the location of TPLink? Maybe put a bit closer to the DLink. Worth trying. Are they all on the same floor?
D-Link says it's 76% signal at TP-Link, with a rate of 243? i'm not too sure what that means but 76% sounds good enough.

they're on different floors, that's why i put a repeater cause the signal can't really reach my room on the second floor

will see how long i can connect to it before the connection goes to shit, it's been 2 hours already
+Quote Post
soonwai
post Mar 3 2012, 01:10 AM

QUOTE(heliora10 @ Mar 1 2012, 01:48 AM)
D-Link says it's 76% signal at TP-Link, with a rate of 243? i'm not too sure what that means but 76% sounds good enough.

they're on different floors, that's why i put a repeater cause the signal can't really reach my room on the second floor

will see how long i can connect to it before the connection goes to shit, it's been 2 hours already
Dunno what the 76% means. Put a bit closer to the downstairs router, and see how lor.

How's it going so far?
+Quote Post
heliora10
post Mar 3 2012, 11:55 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(soonwai @ Mar 3 2012, 01:10 AM)
Dunno what the 76% means. Put a bit closer to the downstairs router, and see how lor.

How's it going so far?
the connection has timed out before according to my sis, but i started using from last night and it's still ok until now
zz perhaps it's the different brands that's causing this instability, don't know man if it keeps going off like this might have to change to your setup, will monitor for another 1-2 weeks first, in the mean time can always reboot the repeater which is a bit mafan but still bearable

This post has been edited by heliora10: Mar 3 2012, 11:55 AM
+Quote Post
soonwai
post Mar 5 2012, 08:23 PM

I think you're right about the different brands. Don't have any scientific evidence but for me DLink + TPLink = disaster. Now TPLink + TPLink = wifi bliss.
+Quote Post
heliora10
post Mar 6 2012, 10:03 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(soonwai @ Mar 5 2012, 08:23 PM)
I think you're right about the different brands. Don't have any scientific evidence but for me DLink + TPLink = disaster. Now TPLink + TPLink = wifi bliss.
ya man i think it's disaster zz, sometimes even after rebooting the internet is extremely slow, even if i connect to the base DLink router wtf (or maybe i didn't and was still connected to the TP-Link repeater? don't know man zz)

did you change the default Unifi DLink router to TP-Link? if so how'd you do it?
if this persists imma do that
+Quote Post
soonwai
post Mar 7 2012, 01:30 AM

QUOTE(heliora10 @ Mar 6 2012, 10:03 PM)
ya man i think it's disaster zz, sometimes even after rebooting the internet is extremely slow, even if i connect to the base DLink router wtf (or maybe i didn't and was still connected to the TP-Link repeater? don't know man zz)

did you change the default Unifi DLink router to TP-Link? if so how'd you do it?
if this persists imma do that
The 2 x TPLink WR841ND is actually in my uncle's house and yes, I replaced the DIR-615 with one of them. All you need is the UniFi firmware which can be downloaded from klseet.com or if you're buying from Low Yat, just pop by the TPLink service center and have them flash it for you. Just flash the one that will be the router.

In my own house, I'm using Mikrotik RB750GL as my router (replaces the DIR-615) and Airport Extreme for my WiFi. This is enough to cover my whole house, 20 x 70, both floors except one spot in the opposite corner. Both router and airport are in the backroom on the 1st floor.

I also tested the WR841ND in my house and it actually gave slightly better range than my Airport Extreme.

Perhaps what you can do is try one WR841ND first and see if it can cover your house.
+Quote Post
heliora10
post Mar 26 2012, 07:14 PM

Getting Started

ok been busy and bearing with my setup for almost 3 weeks, what i found out is whenever the connection to the wireless repeater goes to shit it's the Unifi Dlink router that i have to restart to make it work again...

so ya maybe i should find a way to remotely restart it or get it to do so automatically on a fixed schedule lol
+Quote Post
johnlth93
post Mar 27 2012, 09:36 AM

Enthusiast

use it as WAP and it works 100%
u using wired connection between ur main ap n repeater right?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point
just read the essential parts, they works the same
+Quote Post
heliora10
post Mar 28 2012, 06:01 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(johnlth93 @ Mar 27 2012, 09:36 AM)
use it as WAP and it works 100%
u using wired connection between ur main ap n repeater right?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point
just read the essential parts, they works the same
no it's a wireless connection between the router and repeater
can make it act as an ap wirelessly? if so would it make a difference? really don't know, maybe i'll try it out
+Quote Post
johnlth93
post Mar 29 2012, 09:30 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(heliora10 @ Mar 28 2012, 06:01 PM)
no it's a wireless connection between the router and repeater
can make it act as an ap wirelessly? if so would it make a difference? really don't know, maybe i'll try it out
what repeater r u using?
+Quote Post
heliora10
post Apr 3 2012, 01:52 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(johnlth93 @ Mar 29 2012, 09:30 AM)
what repeater r u using?
TL-WA901ND
+Quote Post
johnlth93
post Apr 3 2012, 02:11 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(heliora10 @ Apr 3 2012, 01:52 AM)
TL-WA901ND
since WA901ND can ddwrt
i suggest got for it
since the wireless bridge is on it
not sure if WA901ND got it by default but ddwrt yes for sure, used b4

my own experience is wireless not so stable got packet loss in my case
but its up to you la
+Quote Post
imperialrealcs
post Apr 5 2012, 05:10 PM

IMPERIAL DEATH STAR!

QUOTE(johnlth93 @ Apr 3 2012, 02:11 PM)
since WA901ND can ddwrt
i suggest got for it
since the wireless bridge is on it
not sure if WA901ND got it by default but ddwrt yes for sure, used b4

my own experience is wireless not so stable got packet loss in my case
but its up to you la
in WA901ND, there was this bridge with AP option but the encryption limited to WEP only.

anyway, is it normal if those pc access from repeater are slower in term of internet speed?
+Quote Post
johnlth93
post Apr 6 2012, 01:41 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(imperialrealcs @ Apr 5 2012, 05:10 PM)
in WA901ND, there was this bridge with AP option but the encryption limited to WEP only.

anyway, is it normal if those pc access from repeater are slower in term of internet speed?
if everything is setup properly
there should be not much different from accessing to repeater or main router
+Quote Post
cannavaro
post Apr 6 2012, 03:43 PM

CATTENACIO

QUOTE(imperialrealcs @ Apr 5 2012, 05:10 PM)

Yes it IS normal. Repeater will halve the bandwidth.

from ddwrt:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Universal_Wireless_Repeater
Also take note of the fact that all repeaters, including this Universal Wireless Repeater mode, will sacrifice half of the bandwidth available from the primary router for clients wirelessly connected to the repeater. This is a result of the repeater taking turns talking to not just one partner, but to two, and having to relay the traffic between them. As long as your bandwidth requirements are within this halved bandwidth amount there will be little or no reduction in "speed".

Added on April 6, 2012, 3:47 pm
QUOTE(johnlth93 @ Apr 6 2012, 01:41 PM)
if everything is setup properly
there should be not much different from accessing to repeater or main router
The difference is huge. It's like getting VIP10 speed when you are on VIP20.

This post has been edited by cannavaro: Apr 6 2012, 03:47 PM
+Quote Post
imperialrealcs
post Apr 7 2012, 11:30 AM

IMPERIAL DEATH STAR!

QUOTE(cannavaro @ Apr 6 2012, 03:43 PM)
Yes it IS normal. Repeater will halve the bandwidth.

from ddwrt:

Added on April 6, 2012, 3:47 pm
The difference is huge. It's like getting VIP10 speed when you are on VIP20.
was there any setup that wont sacrifice the bandwidth?
+Quote Post
cannavaro
post Apr 8 2012, 06:18 PM

CATTENACIO

QUOTE(imperialrealcs @ Apr 7 2012, 11:30 AM)
was there any setup that wont sacrifice the bandwidth?
Yes. Connect the 'repeater' to the gateway with an ethernet cable. laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
imperialrealcs
post Apr 9 2012, 12:02 AM

IMPERIAL DEATH STAR!

QUOTE(cannavaro @ Apr 8 2012, 06:18 PM)
Yes. Connect the 'repeater' to the gateway with an ethernet cable.  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
lol not a good way but thanks smile.gif
+Quote Post
dopp
post May 10 2012, 08:28 AM

Regular

I wish to set a WPA or WPA2 password, but it prompts for radius server ip, i dont have Radius Server..

So i just put the AP ip address?
+Quote Post
janjooa
post Oct 7 2012, 06:25 AM

Group: New Member

Hi I am having the same prob with my tplink 901, did you find a fix??? have to restart every few hours! my router is a Billion 7800n

many thanks
Kash
+Quote Post
generalhwh
post Oct 22 2012, 10:06 PM

Getting Started

can this work for TD-W8901G?