Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Hand Brake light indicator ON all the time, What else could it mean?

WhatMan
post Feb 14 2012, 05:49 PM

Regular
Group: Senior Member

A friend's Perodua Kancil hand brake light indicator lights up even with the hand brake already release (while driving still light up).

Cannot be the brake not release.

What else could the light mean?

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
eyerule
post Feb 14 2012, 05:55 PM

my cow died, it slipped on a banana skin

brake fluid not enough or time to change brake pads
+Quote Post
WhatMan
post Feb 14 2012, 07:03 PM

Regular

I thought so too but needed to hear from car expert.

The brake pad, its something I never heard off. Can really be detected? sweat.gif
+Quote Post
eyerule
post Feb 14 2012, 08:14 PM

my cow died, it slipped on a banana skin

then go to the workshop and ask an expert la.

brake pad wear off thin oredi of course the light will come out la. brake system leak also will come out the light.
+Quote Post
angrysnail
post Feb 14 2012, 10:02 PM

SuperStars

brake pad wear can't detect coz kancil doesn't have the brake wear sensor..most probably ur handbrake switch is loose or stick..others,just check ur brake fluid reservoir is it empty or not,if leak is not visible try send to shop and open your rear drum, check wheel cylinder for leak..
+Quote Post
Deja Vu
post Feb 15 2012, 08:16 AM

Regular

QUOTE(eyerule @ Feb 14 2012, 08:14 PM)
then go to the workshop and ask an expert la.

brake pad wear off thin oredi of course the light will come out la. brake system leak also will come out the light.
Dude, fitting those sensors r considered as luxury n unnecessary items for a budget compact like a Kancil.

TS,
Most likely ur handbrake release switch or its connection is faulty/loose. Think most mech or accesory shop guys can help u on tis.
+Quote Post
sleepwalker
post Feb 15 2012, 09:15 AM

Need sleep....
Group Icon
Group: Staff

QUOTE(Deja Vu @ Feb 15 2012, 08:16 AM)
Dude, fitting those sensors r considered as luxury n unnecessary items for a budget compact like a Kancil.

TS,
Most likely ur handbrake release switch or its connection is faulty/loose. Think most mech or accesory shop guys can help u on tis.
You don't need sensors on the brake for that. Whenever brake pads wear out, the brake fluid in the reservoir will drop to fill the gap left by the worn out. The fluid level usually drops to min level and this will illuminate the so called 'brake warning' indicator. That indicator has 2 functions, one to tell you when the handbrake is up and the other when the brake fluid is low. This is how people usually associate this warning light with brake wear as it would trigger the low brake fluid warning.

The usual steps would be to check brake fluid level before anything else. If it is low, then check brake pads to see if the low level is caused by worn out pads. If not, then check for leakage. Only if there is nothing wrong with the brake pads/fluid level do you then check for handbrake sensor which seldom fails.
+Quote Post
ryan_hustler
post Feb 15 2012, 10:30 PM

Actum Est

Another possibility is the floater thing in the brake resevoir (Im not sure what its called) if its not floating parallel with the surface, the brake indicator light will be on permanently
+Quote Post
Deja Vu
post Feb 16 2012, 08:07 AM

Regular

QUOTE(sleepwalker @ Feb 15 2012, 09:15 AM)
You don't need sensors on the brake for that. Whenever brake pads wear out, the brake fluid in the reservoir will drop to fill the gap left by the worn out. The fluid level usually drops to min level and this will illuminate the so called 'brake warning' indicator. That indicator has 2 functions, one to tell you when the handbrake is up and the other when the brake fluid is low. This is how people usually associate this warning light with brake wear as it would trigger the low brake fluid warning.

The usual steps would be to check brake fluid level before anything else. If it is low, then check brake pads to see if the low level is caused by worn out pads. If not, then check for leakage. Only if there is nothing wrong with the brake pads/fluid level do you then check for handbrake sensor which seldom fails.
Thx sleepwalker for d explanation.

Yup, I already know tat most cars have tis feature at d resevoir unit itself (even my AE111 Corolla has tis), but there r a couple tat dun coz I cannot recall if my wife's ol 97 660 Kancil's unit has a electrical connector attached to d master pump/resevoir.

This post has been edited by Deja Vu: Feb 16 2012, 08:09 AM
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0611sec    1.72    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 08:09 AM