Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Economics PHD or DBA, Course Fees for private Uni in Malaysia

views

cutiepooh
post Jun 26 2012, 10:06 AM

Casual
446 posts

Which one is more better in both working and for the future ,if there is a chance to join and lecture in the Uni/College?
Blofeld
post Jun 26 2012, 09:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

QUOTE(cutiepooh @ Jun 26 2012, 10:06 AM)
Which one is more better in both working and for the future ,if there is a chance to join and lecture in the Uni/College?
If you plan to join the academia, PhD is the better option.

Recently, my institution received a government Form from MOHE for the Dean to fill up the particulars of all of the staff. In one of the questions in the form, the Dean was required to fill in the number of academic staff with PhD qualification. Furthermore, it specifically stated down that those with DBA or coursework doctoral qualifications are not counted. Only those with research based doctoral degrees/PhD are to be included.

I can't remember what's that Form for. I guess it's just some KPI forms for the institution to be sent to MOHE.
cutiepooh
post Jun 27 2012, 10:51 AM

Casual
446 posts

QUOTE(Blofeld @ Jun 26 2012, 09:40 PM)
If you plan to join the academia, PhD is the better option.

Recently, my institution received a government Form from MOHE for the Dean to fill up the particulars of all of the staff. In one of the questions in the form, the Dean was required to fill in the number of academic staff with PhD qualification. Furthermore, it specifically stated down that those with DBA or coursework doctoral qualifications are not counted. Only those with research based doctoral degrees/PhD are to be included.

I can't remember what's that Form for. I guess it's just some KPI forms for the institution to be sent to MOHE.
Thanks for your helpful info wink.gif am also aware that there are limited Uni/College to offer PhD course. I plan to take PhD for better secure purpose, if there is one day I no longer working at my retirement age and it could be my interest for lecturing in Uni smile.gif
Blofeld
post Jun 27 2012, 01:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

QUOTE(cutiepooh @ Jun 27 2012, 10:51 AM)
Thanks for your helpful info wink.gif  am also aware that there are limited Uni/College to offer PhD course. I plan to take PhD for better secure purpose, if there is one day I no longer working at my retirement age and it could be my interest for lecturing in Uni smile.gif
I don't think it is limited. All public universities in Malaysia offer PhDs.
cutiepooh
post Jun 27 2012, 02:04 PM

Casual
446 posts

QUOTE(Blofeld @ Jun 27 2012, 01:14 PM)
I don't think it is limited. All public universities in Malaysia offer PhDs.
Ya I knew Local Uni offers PhD. I prefer more choices and do look for some private Uni laugh.gif
Skyler_Airman
post Jul 2 2012, 06:48 PM

Getting Started
71 posts

Hi there,

I saw on a UCSI University brochure that they offer a DBA course. It said that it will equip you with theory and practical use, aswell as other skills from this programme. Maybe have a look if it isn't on the website.
munhong
post Jul 12 2012, 12:37 AM

9 posts

QUOTE(cutiepooh @ Jun 26 2012, 10:06 AM)
Hi cutiepooh,

To answer your question, if you are 100% certain for an Academic Career, PHD is your choice. DBA might only limits your success in an Academic Environment.

However, to counter argue that statement, the Assistant Professor/Deputy Dean (Business School) from UniRazak holds a DBA degree from Australia. He was recently nominated as the lead writer for the Entrepreneurship Global Report for 2012. (Click here - Dr Roland)

Interms of opportunity and salary scale in the Academic Industry, fresh DBA holders are offer competitive salary.
For example, Swinburne University of Technology (Sarawak) is offering minimum Rm6000 for Doctorate holders (PhD & DBA). (Click here - Swinburne Uni's Salary Scale)
Please note: Taylor's, Monash, Nottingham & Public Universities accept both Doctorate (PhD & DBA) as equal.

All the best. Good luck.

Cheers.

leeboy
post Jul 4 2013, 10:39 AM

Getting Started
52 posts

QUOTE(Mr.Wang @ Apr 16 2012, 07:52 PM)
That might be true. But don't 100% believe what those professors told you. They tend to market their uni and wants more students to enroll, especially private uni.
Sure the more doctorate they can produce, they better they are. Though I'm not sure about the quality of those thesis. I know lecturers from local uni that admitted they don't really expect much from those doing part time doctorate due to their focus on work. And those that ask me a favor to analyze their research are mostly part timers.
I have a friend who just graduated from OUM Engineering PhD programme. The criteria for graduation is very simple: need to have a few journal publications. Not just any journal, but international, cited journals (Thomson, Scopus) etc. He has published 3 journal papers and 3 international conference papers. So now you know the kind of quality expected of their thesis. Even some main stream universities phd grad can't match that. you want proof, just go to here to see their effort in publication (is not exhaustive):
http://academic.research.microsoft.com/Org...sity%20Malaysia
cheahcw2003
post Jul 7 2013, 10:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,379 posts

QUOTE(leeboy @ Jul 4 2013, 10:39 AM)
I have a friend who just graduated from OUM Engineering PhD programme. The criteria for graduation is very simple: need to have a few journal publications. Not just any journal, but international, cited journals (Thomson, Scopus) etc. He has published 3 journal papers and 3 international conference papers. So now you know the kind of quality expected of their thesis. Even some main stream universities phd grad can't match that. you want proof, just go to here to see their effort in publication (is not exhaustive):
http://academic.research.microsoft.com/Org...sity%20Malaysia
University Malaya ( and other 4 research public universities in Msia) are also the same.
For Science stream, at least 2 publications in an ISI ranked journals.
For social Science/ Arts, at least 1 publication in ISI, or 2 publications in Category A/B journals.
lozenges
post Jul 8 2013, 07:56 PM

Getting Started
92 posts

Hi guy, do u noe how much is the fee per semester to further study at um for the field of engineering?
is there any available scholarship to further study at um?

cheahcw2003
post Jul 9 2013, 01:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,379 posts

QUOTE(lozenges @ Jul 8 2013, 07:56 PM)
Hi guy, do u noe how much is the fee per semester to further study at um for the field of engineering?
is there any available scholarship to further study at um?
UM published the fees in their website.
you can get mybrain15 from MOHE or bright spark scholarship from UM. All info available in UM website
desmond~
post Nov 12 2013, 06:59 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

DBA is more suitable for MBA holder !

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0137sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:04 PM