Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [News] Book vouchers abused online, The Star newspaper (30/1/2012)

kmarc
post Jan 30 2012, 04:50 PM

Technology is too slow!
Group Icon
Group: Elite

Don't know whether this is appropriate or not but just thought I post this up since it came out in The Star today.

Book vouchers abused online

PETALING JAYA: A check on an online forum has shown that some students are unaware that it was wrong to sell their 1Malaysia Book Vouchers for cash.

A user on popular online forum Lowyat asked why the conversation thread he had created to sell the voucher had been deleted.

“Is it illegal to buy the 1Malaysia Book Voucher?” he asked.

The website deleted hundreds of threads created to sell or buy the vouchers, leaving users confused.

“For policy reasons, the moderating team has decided that Lowyat.NET will not allow the sale of 1Malaysia book vouchers on this forums.

“The vouchers were given to you by the Government (paid for by other Malaysians) for you to buy academic books, as you are a student and presumably need to purchase such books. They should be used for that purpose,” read a message from a forum administrator. It was reported that a couple from Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM) and two bookstores in Kota Baru have been identified as offering cash for the 1Malaysia book assistance (BB1M) vouchers.

Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Khalid Abu Bakar said police would act once they had obtained enough evidence.

The book assistance, which was tabled during Budget 2012 last year, is aimed at helping students in higher learning institutions and those in Form Six. The vouchers cannot be exchanged for cash.

One of the advertisements previously placed on the website, before it was deleted read: “1Malaysia book voucher. Package includes: 3 x RM50 Price: Offer me your best price. Dealing Method: COD. Location of seller: Gombak”

Many seemed to be unclear about where to obtain the vouchers and what it could be used for.

In JOHOR BARU, Higher Education Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin said out of the 1.3 million students who received the assistance, only a handful were involved in the irresponsible act of selling off their vouchers.

“I advise students to be responsible and use the vouchers appropriately and not abuse the Govern-ment's incentives,” he told reporters after visiting the Pasir Gudang Hospital here yesterday.

Mohamed Khaled said: “Varsity students are an intelligent group who can think for themselves.

“The book vouchers serve to test whether they can use the assistance to benefit their academic future or otherwise.”

SOS : http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=...3633&sec=nation
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RBR
post Jan 30 2012, 05:51 PM

keeping calm..
Group Icon
Group: Forum Admin

Thanks for the link. It appears that our stance to ban it was correct.

And damn, I'm quite proud that my post has been published verbatim in The Star biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
electronicfly
post Jan 30 2012, 10:19 PM

Getting Started
Group Icon
Trade Zone
Group: VIP

I just read the article this evening. Like!
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0467sec    1.61    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 01:07 AM