Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Asus U46SV vs Toshiba Satellite L745, which one is better

fa-tin
post Jan 26 2012, 08:48 AM, updated 4 years ago

Group: Junior Member

hello everyone,
need your recommendation in choosing the right laptop for my use... so based on my survey, the shortlisted laptops comes to;

1) Asus U46SV
- Intel i5-2430 2.3GHz
- 4GB RAM
- 640GB HDD
- NVIDIA GT540M 1GB VRAM
- 2.25kg

2) Toshiba Satellite L745
- Intel i5-2430 2.4GHz with Turbo boost
- 4GB RAM
- 640GB SATA HDD with shock absorber
- NVIDIA GT525M 1GB VRAM
- 2.14kg

my requirements are;
- budget not more than RM3000
- i will use it a lot in engineering design & analysis purposes (CAD drawings, finite elements analysis, fluid dynamic analysis etc...)
- maybe i will upgrade the RAM to 8GB
- and also upgrade the graphic card to 2GB

so;
a) which one is better?
b) is it possible to upgrade the graphic card to NVIDIA GT540 2GB for both of the models?
c) how much the cost for upgrading the RAM and graphic card?
d) is there any significant different for processor with or without Turbo Boost?
e) is there any different for both hard disk? (SATA...? Shock absorber....?)

p/s: anyone can suggest me where to find the pirate cd's for software solidworks, NX, Msc Patran-Nastran, Fluent...? tongue.gif

thanks...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Scud_eSpade
post Jan 26 2012, 08:29 PM

Casual

U46 speaker turn me off
+Quote Post
lumbalari
post Jan 27 2012, 12:23 AM

Getting Started

u46sv is better
- aluminium design
- has better GPU (GT540M)

This post has been edited by lumbalari: Jan 27 2012, 12:24 AM
+Quote Post
jorakman
post Jan 27 2012, 10:07 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(fa-tin @ Jan 26 2012, 08:48 AM)
hello everyone,
need your recommendation in choosing the right laptop for my use... so based on my survey, the shortlisted laptops comes to;

1)  Asus U46SV
    - Intel i5-2430 2.3GHz
    - 4GB RAM
    - 640GB HDD
    - NVIDIA GT540M 1GB VRAM
    - 2.25kg

- Intel i5-2430 2.4GHz with Turbo boost
    - 4GB RAM
    - 640GB SATA HDD with shock absorber
    - NVIDIA GT525M 1GB VRAM
    - 2.14kg

my requirements are;
- i will use it a lot in engineering design & analysis purposes (CAD drawings, finite elements analysis, fluid dynamic analysis etc...)

so;
a) which one is better?
b) is it possible to upgrade the graphic card to NVIDIA GT540 2GB for both of the models?
d) is there any significant different for processor with or without Turbo Boost?

p/s: anyone can suggest me where to find the pirate cd's for software solidworks, NX, Msc Patran-Nastran, Fluent...?  tongue.gif

thanks...
a) I just bought asus a series. So far so good. I think asus laptop is good quality. Previously i own a Toshiba laptop. except the battery, It is almost 4 years now and it is still running strong. Never have any problem. Soon i think i need to clear its heat sink.

b) I am not sure it is possible or not. Pls correct me if i am wrong. Some people use external GPU kit. Anyway, higher GPU RAM brings higher resolution. Unless ur laptop monitor is large inch or u output the video to TV most of time, I think 1GB RAM is enough.

c) I think if you are going to use the laptop to run simulation RAM is more important. 2GB RAM is around RM40. 4GB RAM is around RM68. You can check the price list at the shop to get the exact price. Always ask for discount. Make sure u test the RAM. People might sell the defect RAM to you. The GPU for this 2 models 540m and 525m performance wise it is quite a huge difference. 540m is superior than 525m. 525m is considered entry level.

d) I think for the 2 laptop models they are using same processor, I5 2430m with Turbo Boost 3.0 Ghz. Thus no difference in terms of processor performance for the 2 models. Turbo Boost is a feature where processor will run at higher speed than its base speed (2.4Ghz) when it is needed (depends on the OS). You can know more from this link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/arc...technology.html

e) Hard disk wise, for me it depends on your need. For example if u always bring around ur laptop and work in tough environment, shock absorber probably is a great feature u need. Else if u always work at office or home, u x bring the laptop around, i don't think u need it, since 2.5' hard disk is not so shock sensitive. SATA is the connector between the hard disk and the motherboard of the laptop.

Make sure u check the laptop carefully. Check their build quality, speaker. Check their warranty. For me i probably will go for Asus. Once u purchase, don't rush to register the international warranty. Test the laptop (keyboard, speaker,exterior, etc) kao kao. Keep the box and resit. If there is anything wrong with the laptop, within 7 days u may do 1 to 1 exchange. (most of shop can, ask the reseller first). But if u already register international warranty u cannot 1-1 exchange, since the laptop has been registered and the shop cannot re-sell the laptop. Also, for new laptop it has seal on the box. Make sure u are there watching the reseller unseal ur laptop and upgrade the RAM for u Better not leave for them to upgrade ur laptop. U never know.

Just my 2 cent. Pls correct if i am wrong. Happy new year !! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
[PF] T.J.
post Jan 27 2012, 10:15 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Group: Elite

QUOTE(fa-tin @ Jan 26 2012, 08:48 AM)
hello everyone,

1)  Asus U46SV
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

my requirements are;

so;
a) which one is better?

p/s: anyone can suggest me where to find the pirate cd's for software solidworks, NX, Msc Patran-Nastran, Fluent...?  tongue.gif

thanks...
The Asus U46 is only 2.14kg brows.gif
And the Toshiba L745 has a new variant with i5-2450M at RM2349

Anyway, here are some other alternatives for you:

a) Both are more or less similar in terms of CPU, but the GPU in the Asus is better. It all depends on whether your programs relies on CPU/GPU more
b) Not upgradable unfortunately
c) 4GB RAM is around RM60-70 iinm... GPU upgrades are only possible in high-end gaming laptops
d) Programs that utilizes TurboBoost will see faster performance, and also higher heat brows.gif
e) HDD with shock absorbers will retract the HDD into a safe position whenever the laptop detects free-fall situations, thus protecting your data. Personally I feel that HDD speed (7,200rpm if possible) is the deciding factor for me though tongue.gif

p/s: we're not allowed to ask that kind of questions here yo, later get banned haha

+Quote Post
fa-tin
post Jan 27 2012, 10:47 AM

QUOTE(PF T.J. @ Jan 27 2012, 10:15 AM)
p/s: we're not allowed to ask that kind of questions here yo, later get banned haha
oppss....sorry....haha tongue.gif

thanks anyway for all the suggestion...

+Quote Post
IvanWong1989
post Jan 27 2012, 12:29 PM

!StringTheory!
Group: Senior Member

haha.. trust me those programs u use?

CPU intensive.... haha.... and if ur modelings are big... complicated... eat RAM also.. =P

+Quote Post
fa-tin
post Jan 27 2012, 04:48 PM

QUOTE(IvanWong1989 @ Jan 27 2012, 12:29 PM)
haha.. trust me those programs u use?

CPU intensive.... haha.... and if ur modelings are big... complicated... eat RAM also.. =P
yeah right...that's why at my office, we use really big & bulky 16-17" mobile workstation for that purposes...but this laptop i'm looking for is for my personal use + little bit designing works... and that's also the reason for me to upgrade to 8GB RAM...
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1212sec    2.95    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd May 2015 - 07:52 PM