Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Gingivitis Problem, any alternative way to cure them ?

views

TSZhen-Wei-10
post Jan 8 2012, 01:25 AM, updated 13y ago

Enthusiast
946 posts

Hi,
Last week, I met dentist,
and he said, my gum currently under minor gum infected otherwise known as Gingivitis.

So, the dentist charged me RM30 for Anti-Biotic and two more pills.

I would like to know, is there any alternative way to help cure Ginvintis?

I wonder. Listerine (Anti-Septic) and warm salted-water can help my situation? icon_question.gif

any else? icon_question.gif

Additional information and detail :

My teeth kind of lossy sometimes but I didn't feel any pain when I'm eating. blush.gif

Anyway, I'm kind of weird here. I asked my dad to check whether my teeth seriously lossy or something, but my dad said.

"I can't feel anything lossy up there. Everything fined"

I used to brush my teeth with Colgate as my daily routine,

morning before I go to school, noon right after I have my lunch, night before I sleep, followed by Listeriene original. smile.gif

So yeah, back to the problem. Any other way to cure ginvintis? icon_question.gif

I appreciate any reply and answers notworthy.gif

And Sorry for my suck-ish English sweat.gif
Tamsin
post Jan 8 2012, 08:40 AM

On my way
553 posts

It is a gum disease but if not treated soon , it can affect your teeth . Listerine will help if gargled properly , not sure bout salt-water though but the potassium inside should help . Other than that , guess you have to take good oral care and brush your teeth frequently .

Just my 2 cents
TSZhen-Wei-10
post Jan 8 2012, 02:31 PM

Enthusiast
946 posts

QUOTE(Tamsin @ Jan 8 2012, 08:40 AM)
It is a gum disease but if not treated soon , it can affect your teeth . Listerine will help if gargled properly , not sure bout salt-water though but the potassium inside should help . Other than that , guess you have to take good oral care and brush your teeth frequently .

Just my 2 cents
ya, thanks for your reply,

i seriously take care about these kind of thing cry.gif

but, some people said, Listerine only for preventing but when the gum swollen, listerine couldn't help anymore but salted-water can help. icon_question.gif

is this true?
dkk
post Jan 8 2012, 08:50 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
11,400 posts

1. is there a reason you so not want to use the antibiotic?

The gums are swollen. Does that not indicate that the bacteria is *IN* the gums rather than just resting on the surface? Gargling with listerine/salt water will only get rid of whatever is on the surface.

2. you may brush everyday, but are you brushing effectively? Are you reaching all the necessary parts? Do you clean your tongue as well?

Did you remember, when you were in primary school, did a few nurse/doctor/dentist come and demonstrate? iinm, they do this at every school.

3. do you use one of those extra soft tooth brushes? I was trying to buy a "hard", and most shops only carry "soft". There were also lots of "extra soft". "medium" was very rare. I had to go to 5 different places before I found a "hard".

Might be different for each person. I don't know about you, but soft brushes just don't work for me. I brush with the soft tooth brush, check immediately after (scrape the surface of the teeth with a toothpick), and see that the food is still stuck there. Maybe the soft brushes may work, but they hav eto be change very frequently. Mine was only 2 weeks old.

4. clean your mouth after every meal, snack, and any drink that is not just plain water. If you don't brush, do wash your mouth with some plain water.
SUSedge85
post Jan 14 2012, 03:28 PM

hepi hepi goyang bersama
1,299 posts

To 'cure' gingivitis, first step is to go for scaling. This is to get rid of calculus around the neck of your tooth. Do this at least once a year.

Secondly, you must maintain good and consistent oral hygiene. Brushing twice daily is sufficient. More importantly, effective brushing. Look up youtube to learn how.

I would suggest using soft toothbrush. If you use too much force when brushing, it may lead to abrasion of the neck of the tooth, causing even more problems in future.

Floss after meals.

Do you smoke?

Gingivitis will eventually develop into periodontitis. This is when your gums start to recede and tooth becomes loose!

TSZhen-Wei-10
post Jan 14 2012, 06:04 PM

Enthusiast
946 posts

Done scalling just now..

I do brush my teeth 3 times a day followed by listerine.

I do rinse normal water after eat - as dentist said -

And i do floss with prodental floss kit.

But my anti-biotic finished. I took two times from dentist which 1 box contais 6 pills.

And i do not smoke, i'm still a student (15 teen) and My family don't allow me and i don't even tend to smoke in my life.

I take seriously about my hygine anyway.

This post has been edited by Zhen-Wei-10: Jan 14 2012, 06:07 PM
SUSedge85
post Jan 14 2012, 07:28 PM

hepi hepi goyang bersama
1,299 posts

QUOTE(Zhen-Wei-10 @ Jan 14 2012, 06:04 PM)
Done scalling just now..

I do brush my teeth 3 times a day followed by listerine.

I do rinse normal water after eat - as dentist said -

And i do floss with prodental floss kit.

But my anti-biotic finished. I took two times from dentist which 1 box contais 6 pills.

And i do not smoke, i'm still a student (15 teen) and My family don't allow me and i don't even tend to smoke in my life.

I take seriously about my hygine anyway.
If I remember correctly, it is due to your age (adolescence) causing hormonal imbalance, resulting in increased blood flow to your gums. And because of this, your gums may be more sensitive to irritation. Also maybe your body immune response is slightly altered. As you age, those swellings will be less frequent provided you maintain that consistent oral hygiene. Don't worry too much ok?

Pretty much the same reason why pregnant women have very high incidence of periodontal disease.

Remember, over zealous brushing will cause more harm than good. =)

TSZhen-Wei-10
post Jan 14 2012, 07:57 PM

Enthusiast
946 posts

QUOTE(edge85 @ Jan 14 2012, 07:28 PM)
If I remember correctly, it is due to your age (adolescence) causing hormonal imbalance, resulting in increased blood flow to your gums. And because of this, your gums may be more sensitive to irritation. Also maybe your body immune response is slightly altered. As you age, those swellings will be less frequent provided you maintain that consistent oral hygiene. Don't worry too much ok?

Pretty much the same reason why pregnant women have very high incidence of periodontal disease.

Remember, over zealous brushing will cause more harm than good. =)
Thanks for the informative and helpful statement notworthy.gif

I damn scared for these kind of stuff, Dental procedure is pretty much my worst nightmare blush.gif

Currently i use Himalaya Tooth and Gum Correction Toothpaste smile.gif

I heard that Himalaya's toothpaste were using 100% Herbal and natural internally, which cause no side effect and I also heard that Himalaya are somehow better than Colgate Total

So i stop using Colgate as Colgate don't repair Gum problem but Himalaya does sweat.gif
SUSedge85
post Jan 15 2012, 08:36 AM

hepi hepi goyang bersama
1,299 posts

on the other hand, i would highly recommend that you stop using that toothpaste as it does not contain any fluoride.

improving gum health, at the expense of tooth decay? would you gamble that?
TSZhen-Wei-10
post Jan 15 2012, 12:22 PM

Enthusiast
946 posts

Himalaya can fix both tooth decay and gum problem too.

And what toothpaste doesn't contains floride? I can't find it
careyluv
post Jan 16 2012, 06:26 AM

Getting Started
77 posts

Many years ago, i've bleeding gums. Everytime i eat, i can clearly c blood on the food especially while eating white bread. Went to c the dentist, n he said i've gingivitis. This dentist is very expensive, u can c all his client is Dato' or Tan Sri. I dunno any other good dentist at that time, so just followed ppl's advise and went to c this dentist.

He charged me around rm800 (that's like more than 6 yrs ago), do some procedure twice (i forgot what procedure it is). After that, no more bleeding gum till now. Now this dentist already move to more expensive place in KL, n surely everything will be more pricier.

I give u the contact No and also new address, u can contact them for more info. Drs Chai and Partners Dental Surgeons, Unit G-3A&B (Grd Flr), Wisma UOA 2, 21 Jln Pinang, 50450, KL. Ph No: 03-20726899/ 20708836. The one treating me last time is Dr Raymond Chai, i think is the son. I said he's good coz he did solve my problem last time.
tchtax
post Jan 16 2012, 12:36 PM

On my way
638 posts

Used to have bleeding gums. After taking CoQ10 and Vitamin C regularly , stopped the bleeding in it's tracks with healthier gums.
TSZhen-Wei-10
post Jan 16 2012, 03:42 PM

Enthusiast
946 posts

QUOTE(careyluv @ Jan 16 2012, 06:26 AM)
Many years ago, i've bleeding gums. Everytime i eat, i can clearly c blood on the food especially while eating white bread. Went to c the dentist, n he said i've gingivitis. This dentist is very expensive, u can c all his client is Dato' or Tan Sri. I dunno any other good dentist at that time, so just followed ppl's advise and went to c this dentist.

He charged me around rm800 (that's like more than 6 yrs ago), do some procedure twice (i forgot what procedure it is). After that, no more bleeding gum till now. Now this dentist already move to more expensive place in KL, n surely everything will be more pricier.

I give u the contact No and also new address, u can contact them for more info. Drs Chai and Partners Dental Surgeons, Unit G-3A&B (Grd Flr), Wisma UOA 2, 21 Jln Pinang, 50450, KL. Ph No: 03-20726899/ 20708836. The one treating me last time is Dr Raymond Chai, i think is the son. I said he's good coz he did solve my problem last time.
Kind of weird here, my gum doesn't bleeding whenever i eating, any food and drinks, my gum looks so normal.

but, whenever i brush my teeth (Colgate 360' MaxWhite - Soft Type), little/minor bleed appeared from "Inside" of my gum.

same goes whenever i rinse with listerine smile.gif

and i just don't get it. Why i doesn't feel any pain in the gum, even when i eat.
SUSedge85
post Jan 16 2012, 08:58 PM

hepi hepi goyang bersama
1,299 posts

QUOTE(Zhen-Wei-10 @ Jan 16 2012, 03:42 PM)
Kind of weird here, my gum doesn't bleeding whenever i eating, any food and drinks, my gum looks so normal.

but, whenever i brush my teeth (Colgate 360' MaxWhite - Soft Type), little/minor bleed appeared from "Inside" of my gum.

same goes whenever i rinse with listerine  smile.gif
and i just don't get it. Why i doesn't feel any pain in the gum, even when i eat.
just mild inflammation of the gums, surely no pain.
DrBarbarian
post Jan 17 2012, 09:42 AM

Darren's Daddy
869 posts

huh?? gingivitis and your doc prescribed you antibiotic??? *shake head*

you will need to have scaling done by your dentist..... on your part, you will need to brush well enough and use floss..... dun bother with oral rinse.....
mrPOTATO
post Jan 17 2012, 03:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,113 posts

Yup, scaling & flossing is good. I had gingivitis too. Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) gargle after brushing b4 going to zz. Oil pulling kills bacteria. Google them..
chrisshim
post Jun 17 2021, 01:15 PM

11 posts

Gum bleeding most likely caused by plaque and tartar. Scaling and polishing is first step and most effective step. If you suffer more severe form of gum problem, then might need periodontal treatment. Read more about gum disease here

https://smiledentallounge.com/gum-disease/
BL98
post Aug 4 2021, 01:08 AM

Casual
459 posts

gargle with listerin

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0167sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:18 AM