Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Huawei HG8240 GPON/EPON FTTH ONU, Alt solution to use non-VLAN Router

thankyou
post Dec 15 2011, 05:16 AM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

Just gotten this ONU for testing purpose as I was wondering, are we able to use our own router by setting up a bridge mode on this ONU.

Just an idea about the ONU

HG8240 suppose to replace the HG850a which supposely at the EOP (End of Production) @ 30th June 2011
user posted image

The unit is actually almost identical as HG850a
user posted image
user posted image

BBU port for the battery pack incase of power outage & reset button (Important!)
user posted image
user posted image

A fresh login page
user posted image

Sample of WAN configuration
user posted image

Okay, now you may ask "why do I need this ONU instead of the one provided by TM"?
- As you know Unifi equipments cover with only 1 year warranty. So, chances are, they gonna charge you for a sky high fee for ONU replacement. Actually you can get the Huawei HG850a/HG8240 ONU at a resonable price from online source.
- You can use any router which does not require any VLAN Tagging

Prerequisite
--------------
1) You must be the owner of TM branded HG850a. As far as I understand, ONU is dependent at OLT. if your area covers with Huawei OLT then it should be safe. I cannot guarantee it will work for those early Unifi adopters who are using FiberHome ONU.
2) It is a MUST to obtain the PON password from existing HG850a. Although TM blocks the access to ONU interaces but it is still possible to grab the configuration XML. You won't able to establish the FTTH link if you do not have PON Password. Certain OLT does not require PON password to establish the link... again, it's area dependent.
3) SIP VOIP account information.

Features that confirmed working
-------------------------------------
1) To able to use own router without VLAN capability.
2) VOIP is working as expect. Unfortunately the HG8240 version I have does not support SIP! It uses H.248 as VOIP.

Feature that has not been done
-------------------------------------
1) IPTV. After spending hours on looking at it without a solution at 3++AM.. I really have to stop... IPTV requires IGMPv3 enable in order to view the content however, whenever I tries to enable IGMP on VLAN600, it always prompt me with "Conflict with the WAN global IGMP"...

This should be a good solution for SME as IPTV is not needed and enterprise firewall can directly connect to the ONU without needing an extra device.

I am willingly to loan to any of you who are interested in 'investigate' more on IPTV side to make it working. If IPTV is working then perhaps, this will be one of the best solution around for everyone...

*Note: I'm not selling any of the product here... its just purely based on my personal interest to find out more solution...

This post has been edited by thankyou: Dec 15 2011, 05:17 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
izzat80
post Dec 15 2011, 09:33 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

nice work bro

if tm is using huawi at exchange then best to use hawi right... same chipset and everything

heh i remember when i saw all the ports on the tall white vdsl box WHY tm dont make that box do all? why need two? it must be just software limit...

then wonder maybe becoz some r vdsl and some fiber.... so they just make standard router for all and then the modem (vdsl or fiber) just connect as modem and provide the phone.....

this one u got how much?

icon_rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
thankyou
post Dec 15 2011, 11:16 AM

On my way

Errrm... I'm not too sure about the decision made by TM to have everything connect over router... Perhaps there might be some limitation on the Huawei ONU?

the unit is actually RM180++ only... but the shipping from China is quite expensive... so the more unit... the cheaper it is... Total damage is about RM280...
+Quote Post
WaCKy-Angel
post Dec 15 2011, 11:21 AM

PeACe~~

Bro but AFAIK the GPON are Unifi's property and IINM its warranty are "lifetime".

Because if you read the "termination" clause, it says the GPON must be returned to Unifi, and the rest of the hardwares aka router, dect phone, and the IPTV need not return because it belongs to customers
+Quote Post
WaCKy-Angel
post Dec 15 2011, 11:23 AM

PeACe~~

Anyhow, this thing only available at China?
Which shop/location sells it?

I might able to get some when my dad's China friend comes to KL..
Btw its not taxable is it? Computer hardwares are tax exempted no?
+Quote Post
thankyou
post Dec 15 2011, 11:35 AM

On my way

I don't know bro... I did not get tax because the total cost was not more than RM300...

I bought it from this website:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/48499...holesalers.html

Not too sure if we can find it at retail store or not... The unit seems to ship from Beijing... but you have to make sure to look for SIP Version... H248 version will not work for Unifi VOIP...

If i'm not mistaken, networking products are taxable...

This post has been edited by thankyou: Dec 15 2011, 11:36 AM
+Quote Post
iipohbee
post Dec 15 2011, 11:39 AM

On my way

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Dec 15 2011, 11:23 AM)
Anyhow, this thing only available at China?
Which shop/location sells it?

I might able to get some when my dad's China friend comes to KL..
Btw its not taxable is it? Computer hardwares are tax exempted no?
If what you say is true and TM insists on retaining ownership of the ONU, it means there's a serious security backdoor with their GPON network.

Anyways, you can view the many models that China dealers are flooding the market with. Some sell them expensive and some sell them cheap.Most quote in USD currency.

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/208276/...6/GPON-ONU.html

The Fibrehome unit is one of the cheapest models we have in the market.

Note that Telkom Indonesia is already using the ZTE ZXA10 for their Groovia FTTH service:

user posted image

Added on December 15, 2011, 11:43 am
QUOTE(thankyou @ Dec 15 2011, 11:35 AM)
I don't know bro... I did not get tax because the total cost was not more than RM300...

I bought it from this website:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/48499...holesalers.html

Not too sure if we can find it at retail store or not... The unit seems to ship from Beijing... but you have to make sure to look for SIP Version... H248 version will not work for Unifi VOIP...

If i'm not mistaken, networking products are taxable...
Looks like you beat me to it when showing the link.

But for the price a little expensive. Try Taobao. There are also some China runners based in Singapore where you can get from them with similar price and save on freight cost. some throwing prices as low as USD30-40 only..

Those order in large bulks such as TM get them for even lower prices in sub USD20 per unit..
Imagine the profit them make.

Chinamen will undercut your prices to near unprofitable margins just to get the deal through. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by iipohbee: Dec 15 2011, 11:43 AM
+Quote Post
thankyou
post Dec 15 2011, 11:58 AM

On my way

WaCKy-Angel: I had asked for the warehouse address in Bejing if you are interested to get it directly:

北京市,海淀区,中关村北二街,水清木华园,6号楼,B102。
Phone: +86 13146361816

iipohbee: Yes, I saw that ZTE model as well... but I'm not too sure if it is compatible with Huawei OLT?

http://ann.dj/HG8240/P1090681-Masked.jpg
I have attached a sample of the configuration from TM Unifi... as you can see, they actually match the OLT with ONU unit... let me bring this Huawei ONU to a friend house who are still using FiberHome...

Yes... no doubt it is a lil expensive... All the 'damage' I have to absorb are purely based on interest... heading on to Taobao to check it out!

Cheers~

+Quote Post
WaCKy-Angel
post Dec 15 2011, 12:26 PM

PeACe~~

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

http://www.unifi.my/unifi/index.php?option...d=53&Itemid=210

YES im very sure the GPON aka BTU are Unifi's property and its lifetime warranty (as shown in the link above)..
Only the CPE (Customer Premise Equipment ) aka the RG, Dect phone, STB are 1 year warranty.

So i dont see any substantial reason to purchase the GPON if the quality are the same with the one provided free.
Unless this one has wifi funtion that i can discard the RG.

This post has been edited by WaCKy-Angel: Dec 15 2011, 12:29 PM
+Quote Post
thankyou
post Dec 15 2011, 12:32 PM

On my way

Ahh... Lifetime Warranty!

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=13024790629

Interesting... its much cheaper over there!
+Quote Post
izzat80
post Dec 15 2011, 02:30 PM

Getting Started

how about other brnad?? any erricson or alcatel or other fancy brand can use with unifi?
+Quote Post
iipohbee
post Dec 15 2011, 03:56 PM

On my way

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Dec 15 2011, 12:26 PM)

http://www.unifi.my/unifi/index.php?option...d=53&Itemid=210

YES im very sure the GPON aka BTU are Unifi's property and its lifetime warranty (as shown in the link above)..
Only the CPE (Customer Premise Equipment ) aka the RG, Dect phone, STB are 1 year warranty.
If TM wants to reserve their ownership rights upto the ONU itslef then why must subscribers fork out extra if they exceed 15m of fibre length? Everything before it reaches the ONU MUST remain to be TM's property so subscribers should be given FREE fibre right up to the ONU.

QUOTE(izzat80 @ Dec 15 2011, 02:30 PM)
how about other brnad?? any erricson or alcatel or other fancy brand can use with unifi?
If you're using Singtel's exStream FTTH service in Singapore, then you might want to consider using Ericsson ONT. Singtel is the ONLY Singapore ISP now using Ericsson GPON solutions there which is a very good decision based on their worldwide reputation.
The rest of the isps Starhub, M1, LGA, SuperInternet, all are using Huawei.

Singtel Mio also uses 2Wire HGW and Cisco's IPTV STB

HKBN is using AlcaLu.

But I suggest you stick with the same brand as your area's OLT to avoid complications.

Of all the GPON equipment vendors I guess Ericsson is the most trusted one.They help built many European networks.
For AE, PacketFront, Calix and Cisco.
+Quote Post
WaCKy-Angel
post Dec 16 2011, 09:22 AM

PeACe~~

QUOTE(iipohbee @ Dec 15 2011, 03:56 PM)
If TM wants to reserve their ownership rights upto the ONU itslef then why must subscribers fork out extra if they exceed 15m of fibre length? Everything before it reaches the ONU MUST remain to be TM's property so subscribers should be given FREE fibre right up to the ONU.
U have a point but u cant do nothing about it. Take it or leave it lol.
+Quote Post
iipohbee
post Dec 16 2011, 04:00 PM

On my way

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Dec 15 2011, 12:26 PM)
So i dont see any substantial reason to purchase the GPON if the quality are the same with the one provided free.
Unless this one has wifi funtion that i can discard the RG.
When you get cheap equipment suppliers this is what you get. They will have lots of backdoor dealers who flood the free market with the same product at dirt cheap prices.

This wouldn't have happened if they opted for more reputable brands and higher end models like Ericsson, Alcatel-Lucent or the Huawei model HG863 4GE ports that is used by NucleusConnect, Singapore and Netvigator HK.

Is there any substantial reason to purchase a stray GPON ONT you asked? Yes of course, a serious security flaw if you ask.

We are using even cheaper models that what China Telecom supplies and what is rejected by Singapore and HK telcos.

Take a look at this link:

The unit which cost >USD$90 has China Telecom logo on it.
+Quote Post
ihsan
post Dec 16 2011, 04:12 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Networking
Group: Elite

dear iipohbee,

we don't want to hear your stupid bullshit 'other vendors must be better than TM' stories lah.

can you please keep quiet for a while and let other people enjoy the thread.

thankyou,
you might be on to something interesting here. when you mention PON password, is it the admin page password or the serial number of the PON?
+Quote Post
iipohbee
post Dec 16 2011, 04:21 PM

On my way

QUOTE(ihsan @ Dec 16 2011, 04:12 PM)
dear iipohbee,

we don't want to hear your stupid bullshit 'other vendors must be better than TM' stories lah.

can you please keep quiet for a while and let other people enjoy the thread.

thankyou,
you might be on to something interesting here. when you mention PON password, is it the admin page password or the serial number of the PON?
Ok. I'll refrain from posting from now on.

Don't get too worked up ya, Datuk. Please treat all the conversations we had earlier lightly as jokes.

smile.gif
+Quote Post
WaCKy-Angel
post Dec 16 2011, 05:33 PM

PeACe~~

QUOTE(iipohbee @ Dec 16 2011, 04:00 PM)
When you get cheap equipment suppliers this is what you get. They will have lots of backdoor dealers who flood the free market with the same product at dirt cheap prices.

This wouldn't have happened if they opted for more reputable brands and higher end models like Ericsson, Alcatel-Lucent or the Huawei model HG863 4GE ports that is used by NucleusConnect, Singapore and Netvigator HK.

Is there any substantial reason to purchase a stray GPON ONT you asked? Yes of course, a serious security flaw if you ask.

We are using even cheaper models that what China Telecom supplies and what is rejected by Singapore and HK telcos.

Take a look at this link:

The unit which cost >USD$90 has China Telecom logo on it.
What is the "security flaw" you mean? The remote management that is ON by default, and the admin password?
Well if the user are really keen to learn, im sure they will be able to find out and turn it off.

And then again, other supplier are also the same they have to configure the the default admin password too.
The difference is that users has to configure it and they have the option to change the password, and regular normal users rarely even touch all the hardwares for they hope not to touch anything that might make it problematic.

+Quote Post
amirsubhi
post Dec 16 2011, 06:15 PM

The Power Is IN Your Hand!

Apparently until TR-247 ( http://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/trlist.php ) being finalized and followed by vendor, we can't see interoperability between two different vendor yet for GPON afaik.

Btway thankyou, do you have source to get all-in-one VDSL2 modem over China, as VDSL2 is capable to be serve no matter what equipment TM being used anyway

Added on December 16, 2011, 6:31 pmhttp://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=12348258680&ad_id=&am_id=&cm_id=&pm_id=

SIP and WLAN available...

This post has been edited by amirsubhi: Dec 16 2011, 06:31 PM
+Quote Post
thankyou
post Dec 16 2011, 09:04 PM

On my way

Chill everyone... every information/feedback are welcome, but I have to admit that why TM choose to go for HG850a especially they understood that it is at its End-Of-Life term... I agree with iipohbee that we deserved a better equipment since our FTTH subscription didn't come cheap!

ihsan, the PON password is the one you mentioned on the admin page. If you logged in with 'telecomadmin' user, you should able to see it at the bottom of the menu bar. Alternatively, the backup XML should have this information as well.

Just FYI everyone, TM did turned off every single access through WAN/LAN port by default... TR-064/TR-069 CPE management is the way they control our ONU/BTU & Router.

amirsubhi, I'm not too sure... Actually I'm just another person like you who browse through aliexpress/taobao to look for alternative source... The HG8245 is nice if you just want something 'all-in-one' without any complicated configuration...

Note that all the newer Huawei Home Gateway comes with Gigabit port by default!
+Quote Post
mackioes
post Jul 27 2012, 02:20 AM

Getting Started

Ahh, now 850a afaik is been firewalled and I was wondering if I buy a huawei logo one, can I access it and set up my maxis fibre? Also, i dont know much at how maxis setup their voip which is on the router. Why cant this be on the GPON itself? Or a cheaper way is to flash 850a it to oem version?
+Quote Post
spinne
post Jul 27 2012, 11:13 AM

Group: New Member

nice, I'm using the b970b router from huawei, it works great.
+Quote Post
maslim
post Dec 18 2012, 08:58 PM

Group: New Member

2) It is a MUST to obtain the PON password from existing HG850a. Although TM blocks the access to ONU interaces but it is still possible to grab the configuration XML.

How do we get the XML configuration from HG850a?
+Quote Post
yjwong
post Dec 23 2012, 02:39 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(maslim @ Dec 18 2012, 08:58 PM)
2) It is a MUST to obtain the PON password from existing HG850a. Although TM blocks the access to ONU interaces but it is still possible to grab the configuration XML.

How do we get the XML configuration from HG850a?
I wanna know how too. I have created a small script to repeatedly poll the HG850a while it's being booted up and there's a ~5 second delay before the firewall kicks in.

Apparently the password is no longer admintelecom... Is there a way to obtain the configuration XML?
+Quote Post
Ahn3hn3h
post Dec 23 2012, 04:26 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(yjwong @ Dec 23 2012, 02:39 AM)
Apparently the password is no longer admintelecom... Is there a way to obtain the configuration XML?
There is a router password cracker out there that even does brute force on encrypted pages as well.
With a good dictionary and some patience you know the rest.
+Quote Post
yjwong
post Dec 26 2012, 03:49 AM

Getting Started

I actually figured out complete access to the HG850a, thanks to a little help from thankyou. To stay on the safe side, I won't release details here; steps are also relatively complex. But if anyone is interested, can PM me.
+Quote Post
izzat80
post Dec 26 2012, 09:51 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(yjwong @ Dec 26 2012, 03:49 AM)
I actually figured out complete access to the HG850a, thanks to a little help from thankyou. To stay on the safe side, I won't release details here; steps are also relatively complex. But if anyone is interested, can PM me.
hi bro
can pm me the detail for HG850a?? smile.gif
thanks
+Quote Post
MrSpeedy
post Dec 27 2012, 01:02 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(yjwong @ Dec 26 2012, 03:49 AM)
PM me too..
+Quote Post
osxchd
post May 15 2013, 06:33 PM

Am I a Freak?

anyone has any idea how to access the new 8240w? it's a silver TM box... i've just install maxis fiber yesterday... got the custom router to work but am looking how to access the device to make changes so i can ditch the thompson altogether...

or at least make other lan ports available so i can use the thompson for the voip...

This post has been edited by osxchd: May 15 2013, 06:34 PM
+Quote Post
lwk523
post Yesterday, 10:54 PM

MINI SL

Does anyone instested on hg8245 for setup on Maxis/fibre , then we might have a discussion in penang ? PM me

smile.gif
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0578sec    2.81    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 02:09 PM