Just gotten this ONU for testing purpose as I was wondering, are we able to use our own router by setting up a bridge mode on this ONU.
Just an idea about the ONU
HG8240 suppose to replace the HG850a which supposely at the EOP (End of Production) @ 30th June 2011
The unit is actually almost identical as HG850a
BBU port for the battery pack incase of power outage & reset button (Important!)
A fresh login page
Sample of WAN configuration
Okay, now you may ask "why do I need this ONU instead of the one provided by TM"?
- As you know Unifi equipments cover with only 1 year warranty. So, chances are, they gonna charge you for a sky high fee for ONU replacement. Actually you can get the Huawei HG850a/HG8240 ONU at a resonable price from online source.
- You can use any router which does not require any VLAN Tagging
1) You must be the owner of TM branded HG850a. As far as I understand, ONU is dependent at OLT. if your area covers with Huawei OLT then it should be safe. I cannot guarantee it will work for those early Unifi adopters who are using FiberHome ONU.
2) It is a MUST to obtain the PON password from existing HG850a. Although TM blocks the access to ONU interaces but it is still possible to grab the configuration XML. You won't able to establish the FTTH link if you do not have PON Password. Certain OLT does not require PON password to establish the link... again, it's area dependent.
3) SIP VOIP account information.
Features that confirmed working
1) To able to use own router without VLAN capability.
2) VOIP is working as expect. Unfortunately the HG8240 version I have does not support SIP! It uses H.248 as VOIP.
Feature that has not been done
1) IPTV. After spending hours on looking at it without a solution at 3++AM.. I really have to stop... IPTV requires IGMPv3 enable in order to view the content however, whenever I tries to enable IGMP on VLAN600, it always prompt me with "Conflict with the WAN global IGMP"...
This should be a good solution for SME as IPTV is not needed and enterprise firewall can directly connect to the ONU without needing an extra device.
I am willingly to loan to any of you who are interested in 'investigate' more on IPTV side to make it working. If IPTV is working then perhaps, this will be one of the best solution around for everyone...
*Note: I'm not selling any of the product here... its just purely based on my personal interest to find out more solution...
This post has been edited by thankyou: Dec 15 2011, 05:17 AM
Huawei HG8240 GPON/EPON FTTH ONU, Alt solution to use non-VLAN Router