Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Mac OS X Lion and DLink NAS DNS-313, Compatibility issue

views

TSRAMChYLD
post Dec 5 2011, 05:40 PM, updated 13y ago

Regular
1,715 posts

Long story short, I bought a DNS-313. But now I find out that the SMB protocol it use is for some reason incompatible with Lion- Lion keeps saying that I don't have permission to access the disk, even though the disk is set to allow R/W by everyone and has no password (this is only a test setup using a old 120GB disk while I wait for HDD price to go back down- this NAS itself I found at All IT going for crazy low price).

Big headache, Mac Mini with Lion cannot access the drive with Finder. Other computers can access, even Mac OS 9 equipped with Dave can access the drive without problem.

From what I understand, the problem is due in part to D-Link's implementation of SMB. But also due to Apple dropping Samba from Lion and developing a in-house replacement that does not have all the features Samba has, one of which needed to work around the DLink bug.

Already tried Dave for Mac OS X Lion. Doesn't help. Only two things that works is MuCommander, and even that it's not stable, or use terminal and POSIX commands (rm, cp, mv, ls, cd) after mounting disk, even if Finder says I have no permission.

Yes, I considered Webian. But then Webian is hosted on Megaupload instead of a proper file hosting system like Sourceforge for some reason mad.gif vmad.gif Cannot access Megaupload even when change DNS on Yes vmad.gif

This post has been edited by RAMChYLD: Dec 5 2011, 05:50 PM
kazasho
post Dec 5 2011, 07:18 PM

カザショ!
1,964 posts

sory, I dont understand anything. but Im using buffalo link station duo. working great
wiraone
post Dec 5 2011, 07:59 PM

Who cares about all the stars?
3,839 posts

If you're accessing the DNS313 via AFP, you may want to follow the suggested method found in below link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700
TSRAMChYLD
post Dec 6 2011, 02:10 AM

Regular
1,715 posts

DNS-313 doesn't appear to support AFP >.<

Sorry if my first message wasn't coheren't, was too fed up that the NAS doesn't want to play nice with Mac OS X.
wiraone
post Dec 6 2011, 06:47 AM

Who cares about all the stars?
3,839 posts

I could still access my network using smb://ipaddress from my desktop. I couldn't use the network browser though. Apple didn't drop smb support but change the authentication method to a more secure one and that breaks most NASs. Only way to resolve this is to get the manufacturer to update their firmwares. Qnap was quick to follow up with the issue, not dlink though.
TSRAMChYLD
post Dec 6 2011, 12:47 PM

Regular
1,715 posts

Well, I googled out various pages on the issue. One person even said that when he e-mailed D-Link, D-Link support outright say that the model doesn't support Mac OS, even though it has the potential to. Firmware also very hard to find (comes with FW2.00. FW2.01 had to dig deep into DLink Russia webpage to get. FW2.15 cannot find online at all. Very frustrating).

Don't want to buy QNAP or even DNS-323, those costs four and a half times more than this NAS >.< (RM450 vs RM95). Sumore this one only has one disk slot, meaning I can just pop in any old SATA disk I have to test first. Those QNAPs and such need two disks for RAID, and that means I cannot test unless I buy new hard disks as well. And given that now hard disk price is very high because of "flood in Thailand" (ironic, isn't it? WD, Seagate and Samsung has factories in Malaysia, and yet price is affected by Thailand flood...). Planning to get 3TB disks, but if I buy the QNAP I have to buy two disks, and that will push the NAS cost to over RM1000. Dun want to pay RM1000+ just for a NAS.

This post has been edited by RAMChYLD: Dec 6 2011, 12:54 PM
wufei
post Dec 7 2011, 05:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,031 posts

Synology can use and work great.

Pricey but worth the money spent

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0133sec    0.16    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:31 AM