Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Huawei Honor/(Glory), Huawei Glory turns Honor (U8860)?

views

adfy
post Apr 3 2012, 01:22 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

Hello guys,

I just bought Huawei Honor yesterday at IMCC Mines 2. Default OS is Android ICS 4.03. One question.. does anybody know where can I get the Android Gingerbread 2.3.6 stock firmware so that I can revert back. I feel ICS is a bit heavy for Honor.

So I would like to have in hand the stock Gingerbread 2.3 stock rom and the ICS 4.03 in hand in time of needs to re-flash them incase something goes wrong.

Anybody have knowledge of where to get them? I would be very grateful, thx a lot!

Summary of the phone : Sometimes jerky with ICS 4.03, memory seems lower than only 342.1MB, maybe cache 128MB use some of it (not 512MB), internal storage 882MB (not 1GB), i noticed there is a 2GB internal SD Card which I don't know for what. Camera capture is good enough for me. Video recording seems okay too despite a scary review of it being jerky (maybe ICS fixed the issue). Battery longetivity still under testing. Overall.. good phone for the price.
adfy
post Apr 3 2012, 09:06 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(trew @ Apr 3 2012, 01:42 PM)
Thanks for the link. Is there any chance of an English version?
adfy
post Apr 4 2012, 08:48 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(kphing @ Apr 4 2012, 12:38 AM)
mind to tell us why u feel that the ICS 4.03 is heavy for honor? =.=  coz i actually feel that honor performs better wif ics wor...
I have tested GB 2.3.6 briefly on the same Honor before this plus I have been using a lower spec of smartphone (MTK6573 + 256RAM + 512ROM + Dual Sim) for a few weeks and comparing to ICS, GB 2.3 seems more lightweight thus making it easier for the hardware to cope with the OS.

I think the Honor ICS still needs some more polishing to go. Hopefully in the near future we will see a better version.

Does anybody tried playing Assassin Creed Altair's Chronicles with it? I tried and the in-game graphics were not correct, having non-texture loading objects making them not rendered correctly. I tried at the MTK6573 phone and it work just fine. Weird. Anybody got a solution?
adfy
post Apr 4 2012, 01:00 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(Silver Blue @ Apr 4 2012, 09:02 AM)
Bro, Honor is another single core phone,

We wouldn't recommend to go hard for gaming, as it aint' design for hard core gamer,

Perhaps you might need to consider our P1 or D quad for gaming purpose?
I do know that it is a single core phone.

Which GPU is faster/better : Adreno 205 or PowerVR SGX531? I tried searching for a smartphone GPU ranking chart or comparison but failed to find any. Anybody got a link?

The MTK6573 is considered a lower speed single core phone which clocked at 668MHz whilst Huawei Honor single core phone is clocked at 1400MHz.

I could play the Assassin Creed game in MTK6573 just fine so in Huawei Honor it should be a breeze.

The problem is that in MTK6573 phone the game graphics are displayed just fine with all the textures but in Huawei Honor the texture is not loaded or like a glitch. The game movement is fine, the speed is fine just the in game graphic rendering is not completed. I don't know whether it is ICS or the GPU issue but I would love if someone with Huawei Honor ICS 4.0.3 try the game and post the results for comparison purpose.
adfy
post Apr 4 2012, 02:03 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(jimmy G @ Apr 4 2012, 01:19 PM)
Mine also has the same problem. Eventhough i am not running assassins creed, games like wheres my water,  shadowguns, samurai vs zombies has graphic problem(graphics unable to render properly, pink color boxes).
I confirmed the issue again when running another 3D game. It seems that Honor on ICS 4.0.3 have 3D rendering issues. Soon I believe we will see more ppl popping up confirmation.
adfy
post Apr 5 2012, 08:15 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

First have to make sure backup the current ICS 4.0.3 in the phone. Or do we have already a 4.0.3 that can be used and when send warranty still valid? I am more worried about the warranty issue when we have replaced the OS from ICS to GB.
adfy
post Apr 5 2012, 01:24 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

I am not sure whether this is a issue or my ears are just too sensitive to it.

I recently heard static or "hissing sound" in the background when I was talking to a person in a call. Now, I have checked with another Huawei Honor owner and the phone also has the same effect. Is this normal? I mean, maybe it is the noise cancelling microphone or something something.

Just want to highlight it and hear from other owners.

Another thing is that I am a bit disappointed with the inability to make video calls natively. I just get to wonder, how the hell did Huawei built a phone with front and back camera yet does not support built in video call???

Update : BTW, I already experiencing hang and freeze up conditions... really thinking of getting GB to run on this phone.

This post has been edited by adfy: Apr 5 2012, 01:26 PM
adfy
post Apr 5 2012, 05:42 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(trew @ Apr 5 2012, 01:31 PM)
I'm not sure if other Android phone support built in video call or not... since this is my 1st Android phone with front camera.

I checked my friend HTC Sensation XL, also don't have built in video call...

Others care to comment on this?
I have continued doing research on this and found out only a few android based phone do have native 3G video calling function. I guess this is like a past technology being discarded as it is seldom being used or have to add more cost to implement hardware inside the phone etc. etc. and with it being a smartphone having WiFi, Mobile Networks and all which can use them to make internet based Video Calls so there is more weight on leaving the old 3G function and rely more on the net bandwidth to enable the video call.

So, basically using a smartphone even with a front camera doesn't enable you using your only enabled Voice, SMS and 3G Video calls simcard to do a video call without having a data plan service enabled.

Today I experienced frequent lockup / freeze and auto restart condition of my Honor phone. Maybe because I installed a lot of games into it?? Or.. due to the Go Power Master Apps that I installed? The battery drains also quite fast even though I did not do anything much. Leaving it idle and in sleep mode still drains the battery away. Compared to my MTK6573 phone it is now amazingly have long battery standby time. 1 days already go past by and the juice still have 50% left. I didn't use 2 sim cards though, only one. The MTK6573 phone has 1500mah battery.

I am still waiting the Honor battery to extend fully to what it should be able to put out - 2-3 days of standby time. Maybe I will just left the phone idle except for calling/receiving calls, msg etc. No WiFi, gaming, internet and all those other stuff.

This post has been edited by adfy: Apr 5 2012, 07:53 PM
adfy
post Apr 6 2012, 07:34 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

For those who want to try root can use http://www.unlockroot.com/ this cool tool can root and unroot your Honor with just a click. *Warning* I am not really sure if you can unroot your phone back without leaving any traces ie. back to 100% before being root. Therefore use it at your own risk.
adfy
post Apr 6 2012, 12:58 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(trew @ Apr 6 2012, 11:51 AM)
please be mind that all Honor ICS from Huawei currently are demo version. maybe just to show that ICS can run on Honor.

And I hope ICS non-demo (final) version is as stable as the stock GB.
I hope Huawei is not "toying" around with their customer by providing "demo" version of ICS on the purchased product. That is really not a good way of saying "Hey, you are our most important person".

I personally think the ICS is more of like already a commercial release but not without bugs which will be eventually iron out to make it more mature and rock solid stable. As per GB which has been around for a long time, so will ICS when it's due has come. ICS has only been release for how long, and how many phone are using it?

So, give it time and patience. you can get no wrong.
adfy
post Apr 7 2012, 06:31 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(trew @ Apr 7 2012, 06:40 AM)
I think the demo ICS preinstall on consumer phone is not by Huawei, but it is by shop owner eager to show that Honor is ICS ready.

BTW,  demo ICS is not that bad.  After 2 days plus using stock GB,  I take back my opinion that GB is faster. ICS is faster, but not as stable as GB.
The ICS version that came with my phone is 4.0.3. and I think it is not a demo version but more on an silent official release. Stability seems to depend on what and how much software did you put into your phone. Just after I reset my phone + formatting the sdcard it seems the phone is fast, no problems and runs stable. However when I start installing all kind of my fav apps things begin to slide.

Even the problem with the battery drain seems to come not from ICS but from Exchange services which kept running and taking the power to stay alive and trying to do its job of syncing with the server.

In the end I believe we does have to realise that what ever we choose to use have to use power thus selecting how to use it and when to use it does great difference in the power consumption of our smartphone.

For instance.. I have turn off the auto sync feature of everything and does it manually and i saw that the battery does stand a chance to live through the day for normal use.

Maybe the ICS can be optimized further more but for now ICS 4.0.3 is already good. Maybe I like GB more because the first phone is using GB 2.3.4 but things change and changes usually is good.

Added on April 8, 2012, 8:33 amAnybody knows how to lock the home screen (deny any changes to the icons etc.)?

This post has been edited by adfy: Apr 8 2012, 08:33 AM
adfy
post Apr 9 2012, 09:32 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

Latest version B977 seems to have issues like no Fast Boot option and have no Google Apps. I just realised that the ICS 4.0.3 was released to the China market, whilst the worldwide version only listed is GB 2.3.6. I think the ICS in my phone is not shipped factory default by Huawei but was installed by the shop. Anyway, I am still searching for a good GB firmware to flash my phone back to.
adfy
post Apr 12 2012, 04:05 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

News.

Downgraded to Gingerbread 2.3.6. Cannot root. Gameloft games still show same problem with using ICS4.0.3.

I don't know whats the problem anymore. Fear to say it but most probably the hardware is not rendering it well.

Sigh... going back to ICS4.0.3 now.

btw, I confirm that GB is faster than ICS when freshly installed. Feature wise, beginning to miss ICS.

This post has been edited by adfy: Apr 12 2012, 04:06 AM
adfy
post Apr 12 2012, 08:54 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

I tried using two specific games, Assassin Creed and Spiderman Mayhem. Can you test it to see whether the same condition occurs if you are still using GB?

Added on April 12, 2012, 8:55 amI tried using two specific games, Assassin Creed and Spiderman Mayhem. Can you test it to see whether the same condition occurs if you are still using GB?

ps : Sorry for double post. Too fast clicking... zzzz not enough sleep.

This post has been edited by adfy: Apr 12 2012, 08:56 AM
adfy
post Apr 12 2012, 11:45 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

I downloaded it from the huawei international website. It is the same version that came with our phone in Malaysia. Here is the link : http://www.huaweidevice.com/tcpsdownload/d...loadID=NDM2NzQ= try a few times sometime it just went error maybe high load too many ppl accessing it.

Downgrading from ICS 4.0.3 prove to be simple if you have not used custom roms. Just place the UPDATE.APP file inside /mnt/sdcard/dload (create a folder named dload inside root directory of your sdcard) and then go to "System settings-->Storage-->Software Upgrade" and just follow through its instructions.

The same goes from GB 2.3.6 that you have replaced ICS 4.0.3 after doing the steps above. If you want to get to ICS4.0.3 back just go to the same "Settings-->Storage-->Software Upgrade" after you have transfered the ICS4.0.3 UPDATE.APP file into the same dload folder inside your sdcard. No custom recovery image needs to be loaded as these are stock roms directly provided by Huawei itself.
adfy
post Apr 12 2012, 03:13 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(Dan Peng @ Apr 12 2012, 01:03 PM)
I'm on MIUI. I want to downgrade to a rooted GB. How do i do so?

I dled the file from Huawei site, then went into recovery and click install zip from sdcard. But it says no file found. But the file was 230+ MB.

HELP!
1. Unzip the file, it contain 'dload' folder which have UPDATE.APP file inside it.
2. Copy the whole dload folder into your root sdcard directory.
3. Go to your phone setting-->Storage and touch the "Software Upgrade" text.
4. Follow through the process. It will automatically start the downgrade process.
5. The file from Huawei site is Gingerbread 2.3.6 stock rom which until now I have not been able to do root and still searching for a way to do it. If I find any way to do it I will post an update here. So far only a few android device has been successfully rooted to my knowledge and research.

*Note : I have tried using SuperOneClick and Unlockroot but all failed. I read about a way to do it more technically like booting in a Ubuntu environment, upload Superuser to the system storage, etc. but I don't want to go deep into that.

Added on April 12, 2012, 3:16 pm
QUOTE(Jhering @ Apr 12 2012, 01:22 PM)
If i downgrade my honor from ICS to GB, will my downloaded apps and display arrangement disappear or be deleted?
Yep. Everything is gonna be like when you opened your phone for the first time.

This post has been edited by adfy: Apr 12 2012, 03:16 PM
adfy
post Apr 12 2012, 06:47 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(rakyat @ Apr 12 2012, 03:34 PM)
Hello new Honor user here (technically not yet as will receive the phone this evening)

Was surfing this tread to find out more what to do or dl for the phone and notice there is no 'sticky' on the 1st post. There is also no 'owner roll call'? Mayb TS can compile an owner listing and impt info on the 1st page?

Anyway this being my 1st Andriod phone (infact 1st phone is 7 yrs!!! Was gonna buy the S2 last yr but didn't make it) What should I do 1st? I read that for honor, we should reroot the rom to GB from ICS?
Congrats to you! rclxms.gif

It depends on what you want to do actually. However I found that for a smartphone there are a few tips I can share.

1. Get a data plan. I read somewhere smartphone without a data plan is kind of a waste.
2. Which do you prefer : Gingerbread 2.3.6 or Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) 4.0.3? Gingerbread 2.3.6 officially comes with the current Huawei Honor, but there is an official chinese/English version of ICS 4.0.3 which you can download and try by upgrading it.
3. Get Onavo Data Count app, its good enough for me to keep track of my data plan usage and do custom restriction on what app should access the data plan.
4. Root or not your phone, giving you freedom to remove unwanted default apps in Huawei Honor. (Not recommended if you are really a beginner. Better read a lot first on the adv and disadv of having one.)
5. Go to Play Store/Market and download the apps your heart out and get a lot of sleepless night trying them.
6. Sync your email, facebook, twitter, whatsapps, instagram etc etc so you can be connected all the times.

REMEMBER TO ONLY USE THE WIFI, GPS, DATA, BLUETOOTH when you need them. Turn them off when you don't. You can get the phone to be alive without recharging for days if you do.

Try to download apps from Play Store when you are on WIFI rather on data plan.

*None of the list are in sequential order. I just list them as I think of them.

Many other tips which I might not remember to think of. There are friends here who are willing to share... just keep watching the thread.

rclxm9.gif rclxm9.gif rclxm9.gif

Added on April 12, 2012, 6:51 pm
QUOTE(seichirosano @ Apr 12 2012, 06:00 PM)
Guys, i have a problem on my Huawei Honor.
After i downloaded and installer the latest firmware came out on 12 march 2012 (around there) from the phone [online upgrade] > [Firmware upgrade].
it messed up my contacts even though it stated it wouldn't change the files on my phone.
the main problem is i cant access to google play store at all, when i press it, the apps will auto goes off before it load. icon_question.gif
Uh oh you did the Online Upgrade thing? Is it from ICS 4.0.3 B972SP2 to B977SP2? I almost did that too, luckily I became suspicious and cancelled it. I read it somewhere there are few issues with it, not being able to boot into recovery, no more fast boot check box, data network not working etc. if I am not mistaken.

Have to read more on solving the problem... maybe some other forum like xda or androidforum has threads in them relating to the issue.

Google it... maybe you can find some solutions.

This post has been edited by adfy: Apr 12 2012, 06:51 PM
adfy
post Apr 13 2012, 12:49 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

QUOTE(deadravel @ Apr 12 2012, 11:50 PM)
wow man. thx alot
i cant find it anywhere in the huaweidevice website.zzz  rclxub.gif
i will try this after it finish dl-ing.

Added on April 13, 2012, 12:14 am

hey man . i juz checked. this dl is the nt the original that come with the phone in malaysia eh.
this build is without the switch(wifi,data,gps,etc) on the notification/status bar when pull down.
erm. the original come with the switch on the status bar de if im not wrong.  blink.gif

can u please check . thx alot
Sorry then, I didn't know as my phone already came with ICS when I got it. I assumed that Huawei did put the stock rom in their worldwide site. Guess I was wrong. sigh...

I guess unless someone has done a complete backup of their GB stock rom that comes with their phone and shared it there is no actual rom being put out for people to recover except going back to the service center and let the tech people reflash it. Or... we can try ask them to put it out into the site.
adfy
post Apr 14 2012, 12:23 AM

Getting Started
141 posts

Sigh... got back to GB 2.3.6 2nd time already. Undecided between speed and features.

I noticed one thing... Huawei Honor got only two point touch capability while Mercury M866 got four point touch capability. Can anybody else confirm this?
adfy
post Apr 14 2012, 02:13 PM

Getting Started
141 posts

Update : Spiderman runs okay now. Tested and came to conclusion that the culprit was wrong installer. Pheww...

*Note : Most probably Huawei Honor can use apk which compatible with Xperia Arc or any Adreno 205 GPU phones. Have to do trial and error installations. Tested both on GB and ICS, smooth like a baby...

Camera yellow problems.. i have not yet really look into it. Maybe I will after I got the time to play around with the camera softwares.

Unfortunately in GB2.3.6 no root has access been succeeded. I tried almost all the available root tool available. In ICS4.0.3 its not a problem. However in ICS4.0.3 there is a serious google calendar sync problem that I just can't help to overcome. In Account and Sync inside the Google account the calendar is not listed to sync. So right now I am sticking to non rooted GB2.3.6 unless someone give me a way to make the calendar sync available again.

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0299sec    0.50    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:19 PM