Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Begin Your Career As A Seafarer V2, More Proper & Updated. See the WORLD!

views

ksoon28 P
post Jun 13 2021, 09:21 AM

Probation
13 posts

hi guys, any foreign going seaferars in here?
want to ask about income tax.

also harbour pilots. please come in. smile.gif
ezekiller91 P
post Aug 26 2021, 01:08 PM

Probation
1 posts

Hello, newbie in this world. Was in the aviation industry and still below 26. Just want to know the job opportunities in the maritime industry regards to nautical. Sorry if I’ve yet to add in any jargon. What are the opportunities after graduating from maritime school? Because while in flight school, big companies come over to the flying school for an interview with all students with job offers. Is that how in maritime school works too. As I don’t have any friends or family member I have to resort to this forum chat to help me understand more. Hopefully someone could shed some light on this. Please and thank you.
xiaobai1
post Oct 5 2021, 10:47 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(zizdnyll @ Mar 11 2019, 01:54 AM)
since your age already exceed the minimum age to join as cadet. the only option you have is to join as rating, collect your seatime , and do 6 months courses for WKO or WKE. then you will get your COC .
hi im 33 this year .ALAM rating programme required below 26 years old.
how i join as rating ? sry for newbie question
zizdnyll
post Feb 22 2022, 06:52 AM

Casual
490 posts

QUOTE(ezekiller91 @ Aug 26 2021, 01:08 PM)
Hello, newbie in this world. Was in the aviation industry and still below 26. Just want to know the job opportunities in the maritime industry regards to nautical. Sorry if I’ve yet to add in any jargon. What are the opportunities after graduating from maritime school? Because while  in flight school, big companies come over to the flying school for an interview with all students with job offers. Is that how in maritime school works too. As I don’t have any friends or family member I have to resort to this forum chat to help me understand more. Hopefully someone could shed some light on this. Please and thank you.
For maritime , job is everywhere.
There is always shortage of sea going personal.
The only question is how much salary are you willing to accept. This days, local company tend to offer low salary to local seafarer, foreign company some are having bias toward certain nationalties
zizdnyll
post Feb 22 2022, 06:53 AM

Casual
490 posts

QUOTE(xiaobai1 @ Oct 5 2021, 10:47 PM)
hi im 33 this year .ALAM rating programme required below 26 years old.
how i join as rating ? sry for newbie question
You can try asking pelita , ranaco or seamaster training centre, as they provide training for rating
zizdnyll
post Feb 22 2022, 06:57 AM

Casual
490 posts

QUOTE(destroyer @ Sep 17 2011, 11:51 PM)
EDITED 2018 : THERE'S BEEN LOTS OF CHANGES IN REGULATION AND ALSO SOME OF THE INFO MIGHT NOT BE ACCURATE DUE TO ME WRITING THIS ARTICLE IN MY JUNIOR YEAR. I'D LIKE TO WARN EVERYONE. NEVER STUDY SEAFARER RELATED COURSES WITH LOAN/PTPTN/OWN MONEY (UNLESS YOU'RE FRICKING RICH). WITHOUT SPONSORSHIP, YOU WILL FIND IT EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO SECURE CADETSHIP AND ALSO GETTING YOUR FIRST JOB. COUPLED WITH OIL PRICE GLUT AND COMPETITION FROM CHEAP FOREIGN LABOR, LOCAL SEAFARER FUTURE IN THE INDUSTRY SEEMS BLEAK. EVEN THE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE AND EXPERIENCED SEAFARER ARE FACING DIFFICULTY FINDING JOB. AND SOME OF MY JUNIORS HAVE BEEN JOBLESS. PROCEED WITH CAUTION!

From my first thread, this is the new version of it since the last one some facts are outdated.
I'd like to introduce myself. I’m currently a student in one of the few maritime school in Malaysia. I took diploma in marine engineering. The purpose is that i want to encourage more Malaysian into this industry. The reward is good since seafaring command one of the highest paid job for diploma holder.

thread v1 : Begin Your Career As Seafarer V1

First of all, what is seafarer?

Seafarer is a person who carries various duties onboard ships. They will sail with the ship in order to transport goods that the customer want us to deliver. Divided into two department which are Deck Department and Engineering Department.
Benefits of becoming a SEAFARER

1) Rewarding career. Cheapest pay is around RM7500 for fresh graduates of diploma in foreign going ship. For near coastal, it’s about RM4000

2) Experience gained make it easier for you to apply job on oil platform since you have an offshore working experience.

3) Can save a lot of money. onboard ship, no need car. no need to pay rental for accommodation. free meal(every week can eat western). no need money to go to gym. onboard ship, gym is provided. got tv, some ship have internet facilities. some got pool/snooker table.

4) Upon earning your Certificate of Competency, it is as valuable as other certificate of same level such as Steam/Boiler Engineer certificate. Why is that so? Because these kind of certificates/license is not earn by just attending few days of course. To earn this certs, seatime/working experience is needed. These certificates doesn’t only show that you are competent. It’ll show that you are COMPETENT WITH EXPERIENCE as most other certificate doesn’t provide and show how experinced you’re in that current field.
Where can I study the courses?

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Definition Of Marine Engineering

Marine engineers are the members of a ship's crew that operate and maintain the propulsion and other systems on board the vessel. Marine Engineering staff also deal with the "Hotel" facilities on board, notably the sewage, lighting, air conditioning and water systems. They deal with bulk fuel transfers, and require training in firefighting and first aid, as well as in dealing with the ship's boats and other nautical tasks- especially with cargo loading/discharging gear and safety systems, though the specific cargo discharge function remains the responsibility of deck officers and deck workers.

Sometimes, they are involved in the design and construction of these complicated systems. New design is mostly included within the naval architecture or ship design. The field is closely related to mechanical engineering, although the modern engineer requires knowledge (and hands on experience) with electrical, electronic, pneumatic, hydraulic, chemistry, control engineering, naval architecture, process engineering, gas turbines and even nuclear technology on certain military vessels.

Definiton of Nautical Studies

As of Nautical Studies, you will usually work as person in charge of navigation, cargo loading & discharging, deck maintenance. And lots more.

I’m from engineering dept, so, I’ll try to update more later on.
Department & Rank
If you notice from the rank chart, Chief Engineer is actually the same rank level as of captain. Just that, Captain is the commanding officer in charge of all ship activities. He is head of department for Deck. Chief Engineer on the other hand is the head of department for Engine. Their rank are on the same level so do their payment, but captain commands exceed chief engineer in some matter.

user posted image

-Credit to Dukerobin-
Salary(ASIAN RATE)

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

So far that's it for now more update coming soon regarding this matters. updates such career progression, future prospect, type of ship, company name list etc2, will be updated soon. If you have any question regarding this career, feel free to ask smile.gif
I thinks it about time for us to update the front detail , as the career is more challenging and new opportunities are available for malaysian to ventures into offshore industries. The salary is competitive nowadays with DP vessel being on demand

devkamal
post Jul 26 2023, 03:44 PM

Casual
393 posts

QUOTE(zizdnyll @ Feb 22 2022, 06:57 AM)
I thinks it about time for us to update the front detail , as the career is more challenging and new opportunities are available for malaysian to ventures into offshore industries. The salary is competitive nowadays with DP vessel being on demand
Yeap. Most companies like to lowball officers. Some companies even pay as low as 5k usd for chief officer on tankers.. problem is ppl accept those salaries.

This should be unacceptable, future mates. Dont accept any offer from companies if its not up to standard.

33 Pages « < 31 32 33Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.09    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:59 PM