Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Fresh Graduate Consulting Firm, Prospect in consulting firm.

views

adrianwtx90
post Aug 9 2011, 12:57 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

im currently in a niche management consulting firm..and we do focus on transformation and turnaround..im a fresh grad..in a management consulting firm..you are indeed not an expert in the industry of your clients..at best, you would only be at the level of understanding how the industry works through research and also insights from the industry player..

as a consultant, i might say, you are indeed an expert in strategy, planning, transformation, performance etc..your knowledge and value is not measured on how well you know your industry of the clients..management consultants involve themselves in various industries. we cant possibly be good in all of them..but we sure can be good in the ability for us to bring forward a proper strategy in tackling the issues at hand by using management models and strategies..

Added on August 9, 2011, 12:59 pmand f*** yeah..i did learn alot..its very valuable and it can be widely applied in any industry..because what you develop and learn is the general approach and methodology that can be 'transferable' to other industry and would be useful in a company as well..

This post has been edited by adrianwtx90: Aug 9 2011, 12:59 PM
adrianwtx90
post Aug 9 2011, 09:08 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

im not in strategic management..btw..you can try other big companies..if you want..lol
adrianwtx90
post Aug 9 2011, 09:42 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

umm..i think my comp does all kinda i guess..but its generally transformation, that is what we brand ourselves as.
adrianwtx90
post Aug 31 2011, 09:27 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(thlo87 @ Aug 31 2011, 10:17 PM)
Hi guys,

I am a frustrated fresh grad job seeker who have been applying for management consulting related jobs for the past 2 months. I received so little replies that i am starting to wonder if i am not qualified enough for these positions. Can anyone tell me what i am missing, and which consulting firms i stand a higher chance getting into ?

I did an accelerated MBA course in RMIT, and have graduated with first class honours in B.Eng(Civil) from University of Melbourne. However, I have little involvement in university activities, and have no intern/work experience.

I have applied to most of the consulting firms in malaysia, including those in this list http://www.consultingcase101.com/forum/Thr...Lumpur-Malaysia , but i only get ONE reply, which is from Accenture, asking me to wait until mid september when they will start assessing and hiring new consultants.

A friend of mine, whom applied for internship with Accenture the same time as me, has already started working with them. And they even asked him to consider for a full time consultant position.

So, what am i missing, and how can i improve my resume to stand a better chance in getting into any of these consulting firms. And what exactly are these firms looking for, in fresh grad?

And which are the consulting companies that are hiring aggressively atm?
Hmm..weird..i would assume you tried deloitte and PWC..they are relatively much easier to get into..did you try getting jobs from oz?..
those that went for internship with accenture stand a better chance if they would like to work for accenture after they graduate, obviously..i think only Accenture, PWC, deloitte, KPMG, E&Y actually hires quite often..

adrianwtx90
post Sep 1 2011, 12:00 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(thlo87 @ Sep 1 2011, 12:22 AM)
Thanks Adrian, for your input

I have only applied for Engineering jobs in Melbourne, and that was after my engineering degree. It was damn hard to even land an interview in Australia, so i end up studying master and came home to look for job. I thought it would be much easier to find a job in Malaysia.

I have applied to KPMG, Deloitte, and PWC. However, E&Y doesnt seem to be employing atm, and it has been a while since there is no job postings for malaysia offices in their online career site. Anyone knows when they are going to post up job openings again for Malaysian offices?

Also, is University of Melbourne famous enough to be considered by MBB (Bain,Mckinsey,BCG) ? Do they even notify you that you are not qualified? Cause i have applied to these 3 firms a while ago, but has yet to receive any reply.
i dont think RMIT or UoM would be sufficient.. and they have a small team..my lecturer went for an interview with mckinsey..and on that day itself..everyone there has a phD..about 10 people..

you seem to be very unlucky maybe..
adrianwtx90
post Sep 12 2011, 12:06 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 12 2011, 01:00 AM)
Hi i'm interested in joining a management consultancy firm. But from the posts i've read, it seems that it is nearly almost impossible for a fresh grad to enter companies like Bain, Mckinsey & BCG.

So how about Roland Berger and Accenture? Which one do i stand a better chance of getting into? I'm a fresh grad from Monash with a degree in Business & Commerce (International Business & Management major).
no harm trying. how about trying both? LOL. i would guess accenture
adrianwtx90
post Sep 12 2011, 12:14 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

try all the companies on that list..all are good i guess..the problem with Accenture is..they would go overseas and get malaysian students to join after they graduate..so this would reflect on your chances as well..consulting are not big..

This post has been edited by adrianwtx90: Sep 12 2011, 12:25 AM
adrianwtx90
post Sep 12 2011, 02:33 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 12 2011, 03:06 PM)
Yeah there's a lot of competition. But oh well i'll just try my luck. Waiting for Accenture to reply. smile.gif
I heard. recruitment only starts between December to February. they are full now. but demands might change depending on projects
adrianwtx90
post Sep 14 2011, 04:04 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 14 2011, 04:43 PM)
Really? I saw the job posting for "Consulting Graduate Program" on their website (Date posted: 21st August 2011). So that means they're currently recruiting right? Any idea how long it usually takes for them to reply? I applied 4 days ago.
for gods sake. it will always be there. it was there 4 months ago. they just accept applications and make sure their pool is healthy. if they are in need, they can always just reach in that pool and grab some out. i spoke to the HR. they are currently full (as of August). things will always change..
adrianwtx90
post Sep 14 2011, 04:07 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

if you are good. they will KIV you if there is no opening.

Added on September 14, 2011, 4:09 pm
QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 14 2011, 05:07 PM)
Lol don't be mad bro. Was just curious based on the date of the posting i saw there on the site. :9
headache.. doh.gif

This post has been edited by adrianwtx90: Sep 14 2011, 04:09 PM
adrianwtx90
post Sep 14 2011, 04:20 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

dont take my word for it. hard to say. they KIV you. because they dont want to reject you at times. not because you are very good. so if in the event they have vacancies. its probably easier to stick their hand in new fresh applicants. than to dig out old ones that they KIV. unless you really stick out in their database.

Added on September 14, 2011, 4:20 pm
QUOTE(seanwc101 @ Sep 14 2011, 05:19 PM)
OK noted  smile.gif
if get KIV then no hope already
LOL..thats what i felt too..

Added on September 14, 2011, 4:20 pm
QUOTE(seanwc101 @ Sep 14 2011, 05:19 PM)
OK noted  smile.gif
if get KIV then no hope already
LOL..thats what i felt too..

This post has been edited by adrianwtx90: Sep 14 2011, 04:20 PM
adrianwtx90
post Sep 14 2011, 04:26 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(seanwc101 @ Sep 14 2011, 05:23 PM)
I think if they say KIV, it means they politely reject your application.
nono. there is quite a difference. depending on situation.
adrianwtx90
post Sep 14 2011, 05:15 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 14 2011, 06:08 PM)
Lets say they decide to KIV, will they notify you about that? Problem is, i haven't heard anything yet except that they have received my application and will get back to me later. I'm just really curious about my application status.  unsure.gif
Sounds pretty good. Will check it out. smile.gif
my case was, they just say. they want to proceed me. and the feedback was good. they have openings overseas and asked if i was ok. and i rejected it. so she said to keep in touch with me. so i waited and then i approached her instead. she replied with an opening. so i dont know how to answer your question. but i would say, its a no in my case, unless you approach your recruiter. rejection would mean you need to wait 2 years. KIV. like setengah jalan lo.

Added on September 14, 2011, 5:24 pmthey hire by truck loads for technology and SI consulting. dont worry. lol. Management harder la. haha

This post has been edited by adrianwtx90: Sep 14 2011, 05:24 PM
adrianwtx90
post Sep 14 2011, 05:39 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

what specific stream of management consulting you interested in?..their strategy is hard to go in..and usually for management, they will go overseas and recruit students to come back.

Added on September 14, 2011, 5:41 pm
QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Sep 14 2011, 06:39 PM)
what specific stream of management consulting you interested in?..their strategy is hard to go in..and usually for management, they will go overseas and recruit students to come back.
couldnt remember. but its not long. 1-2 weeks

Added on September 14, 2011, 5:45 pmimagine a shopping spree.LOL.they grab'em before they even graduate.

This post has been edited by adrianwtx90: Sep 14 2011, 05:45 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0148sec    0.82    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:14 PM