Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Fresh Graduate Consulting Firm, Prospect in consulting firm.

views

TSfiremelon
post Aug 9 2011, 12:12 AM, updated 13y ago

29 posts

I know that in consulting firm such as Accenture has a simple ranking of its employee, from analyst to consultant to...blah blah...

How is the career prospect in consulting firm? When you say you are a 'consultant', then you are suppose to be someone that has a lot of experience in a particular field, right? Since fresh grad does not have any experience, how do they consult? Even working for 2 years on consulting field, I doubt that a person have sufficient knowledge giving advice for companies.

Is anyone work in consulting as fresh grad? Did you learn a lot?
gen_tiger
post Aug 9 2011, 02:09 AM

Getting Started
221 posts

For my case, consultant is just a title and doesn't mean much a different.
feynman
post Aug 9 2011, 08:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(firemelon @ Aug 9 2011, 12:12 AM)
I know that in consulting firm such as Accenture has a simple ranking of its employee, from analyst to consultant to...blah blah...

How is the career prospect in consulting firm? When you say you are a 'consultant', then you are suppose to be someone that has a lot of experience in a particular field, right? Since fresh grad does not have any experience, how do they consult? Even working for 2 years on consulting field, I doubt that a person have sufficient knowledge giving advice for companies.

Is anyone work in consulting as fresh grad? Did you learn a lot?
That is always the misconception. People think that consultant means expert in a certain field, well that is right in someways. But then again, that doesn't mean one cannot be a consultant without any experience.

The fact that all major consulting firms employ fresh grads testifies to this. You join the firm, no experience? Never mind, the seniors mentor and teach you along the way. You get staffed into projects with seniors and juniors alike, you'll do the hard work and the principal or partner will sell the project to the client. Then as you grow with the firm, you get promoted and you in turn mentor the juniors. This is of course, if you survive the attrition rate. The half life for strategy firms is about 2-3 years. Large-one-stop service firms do not have such turnovers.

Career prospects are great. Can branch off to do something else later on because of the stuff that one comes across. Must be flexible and willing to move on and to learn. Most of all can quantify the difference that one has made. 4 of the core team members of Teach for Malaysia are consultants. You can see that they really want to make an impact.

This post has been edited by feynman: Aug 9 2011, 08:20 AM
TSfiremelon
post Aug 9 2011, 10:43 AM

29 posts

Feyman,
Ya. My friends say they learn lots of stuff during intern in Accenture.

If possible, may I know your background?

I am not afraid of hard work and would like to expose to more aspect of economy. Does working in consulting firm train my business sense?

What do you mean by half life(I only know half life in science context)?

Except BCG, Mckinsy those big firms, are there any more strategic/management/business consulting firm around Malaysia and Singapore? I heard PWC is more into accounting, but they do have management consultant?
keelim
post Aug 9 2011, 11:54 AM

Enthusiast
919 posts

Bain.
Leigh Fisher.
adrianwtx90
post Aug 9 2011, 12:57 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

im currently in a niche management consulting firm..and we do focus on transformation and turnaround..im a fresh grad..in a management consulting firm..you are indeed not an expert in the industry of your clients..at best, you would only be at the level of understanding how the industry works through research and also insights from the industry player..

as a consultant, i might say, you are indeed an expert in strategy, planning, transformation, performance etc..your knowledge and value is not measured on how well you know your industry of the clients..management consultants involve themselves in various industries. we cant possibly be good in all of them..but we sure can be good in the ability for us to bring forward a proper strategy in tackling the issues at hand by using management models and strategies..

Added on August 9, 2011, 12:59 pmand f*** yeah..i did learn alot..its very valuable and it can be widely applied in any industry..because what you develop and learn is the general approach and methodology that can be 'transferable' to other industry and would be useful in a company as well..

This post has been edited by adrianwtx90: Aug 9 2011, 12:59 PM
TSfiremelon
post Aug 9 2011, 02:38 PM

29 posts

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Aug 9 2011, 12:57 PM)
im currently in a niche management consulting firm..and we do focus on transformation and turnaround..im a fresh grad..in a management consulting firm..you are indeed not an expert in the industry of your clients..at best, you would only be at the level of understanding how the industry works through research and also insights from the industry player..

as a consultant, i might say, you are indeed an expert in strategy, planning, transformation, performance etc..your knowledge and value is not measured on how well you know your industry of the clients..management consultants involve themselves in various industries. we cant possibly be good in all of them..but we sure can be good in the ability for us to bring forward a proper strategy in tackling the issues at hand by using management models and strategies..

Added on August 9, 2011, 12:59 pmand f*** yeah..i did learn alot..its very valuable and it can be widely applied in any industry..because what you develop and learn is the general approach and methodology that can be 'transferable' to other industry and would be useful in a company as well..

Thank you for proving the info.
andyhui
post Aug 9 2011, 04:07 PM

Getting Started
251 posts

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Aug 9 2011, 12:57 PM)

do u mind to pm me ur firm.
i would like to go strategic management in consulting but not mckinsey

realnumber
post Aug 9 2011, 06:18 PM

Casual
459 posts

QUOTE(andyhui @ Aug 9 2011, 04:07 PM)
do u mind to pm me ur firm.
i would like to go strategic management in consulting but not mckinsey
strategic mgmnt is really a good career prospect..

andyhui
post Aug 9 2011, 08:57 PM

Getting Started
251 posts

QUOTE(realnumber @ Aug 9 2011, 06:18 PM)
strategic mgmnt is really a good career prospect..
it is a scarcity of opportunity in Malaysia for this type for job...
adrianwtx90
post Aug 9 2011, 09:08 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

im not in strategic management..btw..you can try other big companies..if you want..lol
andyhui
post Aug 9 2011, 09:39 PM

Getting Started
251 posts

wat type of consulting u r in?
transformation thingy is cool too

This post has been edited by andyhui: Aug 9 2011, 09:40 PM
adrianwtx90
post Aug 9 2011, 09:42 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

umm..i think my comp does all kinda i guess..but its generally transformation, that is what we brand ourselves as.
andyhui
post Aug 9 2011, 09:49 PM

Getting Started
251 posts

ur comp in KL sentral or KLCC..just curious....

conculting firm like to differentiate themselves so that they will not head to head compete with Mckinsey , Bain or BCG...

ur background is Business or technical?
feynman
post Aug 9 2011, 11:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(firemelon @ Aug 9 2011, 10:43 AM)
Feyman,
Ya. My friends say they learn lots of stuff during intern in Accenture.

If possible, may I know your background?

I am not afraid of hard work and would like to expose to more aspect of economy. Does working in consulting firm train my business sense?

What do you mean by half life(I only know half life in science context)?

Except BCG, Mckinsy those big firms, are there any more strategic/management/business consulting firm around Malaysia and Singapore? I heard PWC is more into accounting, but they do have management consultant?
In radioactivity and transistors, it refers to amount of subtance and charge respectively. Half-life for firms would mean people. 2-3 years means 50% of people who have started with you will leave 2-3 after working in that firm.

Yes there are. You just have to do your homework.

PWC has a consulting division. Main business is auditing of course.
TSfiremelon
post Aug 10 2011, 12:07 AM

29 posts

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Aug 9 2011, 09:42 PM)
umm..i think my comp does all kinda i guess..but its generally transformation, that is what we brand ourselves as.
Mind to PM your company name? Thanks.

Added on August 11, 2011, 12:10 am
QUOTE(feynman @ Aug 9 2011, 11:01 PM)
In radioactivity and transistors, it refers to amount of subtance and charge respectively. Half-life for firms would mean people. 2-3 years means 50% of people who have started with you will leave 2-3 after working in that firm.

Yes there are. You just have to do your homework.

PWC has a consulting division. Main business is auditing of course.
It is normal for ppl to work in a firm for 2-3 years? or they just gain exp and go somewhere else?

This post has been edited by firemelon: Aug 11 2011, 12:10 AM
PiggyAikz
post Aug 11 2011, 12:01 PM

Getting Started
193 posts

Actually all big 4 have an office in KL. McKinsey, BCG, Bain and Booz.

They do take freshies for business analyst positions smile.gif Bain and Booz has smaller presence in Malaysia.
andyhui
post Aug 11 2011, 04:08 PM

Getting Started
251 posts

Yup, they do.
But only those graduated from ivy league has a chance
TSfiremelon
post Aug 11 2011, 09:48 PM

29 posts

QUOTE(andyhui @ Aug 11 2011, 04:08 PM)
Yup, they do.
But only those graduated from ivy league has a chance
Agree. Unless you have got some special background, achievement or performance.
maxZibel
post Aug 11 2011, 10:51 PM

Getting Started
118 posts

i think pwc doesn't do consulting anymore. their consulting services was bought by ibm way back in 2002.

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/491.wss
maggi
post Aug 11 2011, 11:13 PM

Regular
1,653 posts

dear all,

may i know what is the different between these two position ? Fulltime Associate positions vs Fulltime Business Analyst positions.

and anyone can give an idea regarding the starting pay for freshie in the big 4 consultant firm ?

Thanks.
andyhui
post Aug 12 2011, 07:46 AM

Getting Started
251 posts

i saw a thread last time, it is about 10k from mckinsey.since they paid in usd, it could b 8k now.
maggi
post Aug 12 2011, 08:23 AM

Regular
1,653 posts

For fresh grad ???
andyhui
post Aug 12 2011, 08:54 AM

Getting Started
251 posts

yup...with cambridge, oxford degree, or wharton MBA

TSfiremelon
post Aug 12 2011, 08:19 PM

29 posts

Those big 4 will mostly only give chances to Ivy league, Oxbridge students....even from a good university only have chance for interview, not guarantee hire.
feynman
post Aug 12 2011, 08:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(firemelon @ Aug 10 2011, 12:07 AM)
Mind to PM your company name? Thanks.

Added on August 11, 2011, 12:10 am

It is normal for ppl to work in a firm for 2-3 years? or they just gain exp and go somewhere else?
Yes it is. Many if not all partnership firms function on a up-or-out basis. That is why the turnover is so high and the half-life so short.

QUOTE(maxZibel @ Aug 11 2011, 10:51 PM)
i think pwc doesn't do consulting anymore. their consulting services was bought by ibm way back in 2002.

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/491.wss
Yes, it sold its consulting business to IBM but consultancy is too lucrative that it started its own consulting division again. The same for E&Y.

This post has been edited by feynman: Aug 12 2011, 08:28 PM
andyhui
post Aug 12 2011, 08:44 PM

Getting Started
251 posts

E&Y and PWC consulting focus in tax, accounting?
Do they work out in strategy as well?

feynman, u in consulting line?
feynman
post Aug 12 2011, 09:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(andyhui @ Aug 12 2011, 08:44 PM)
E&Y and PWC consulting focus in tax, accounting?
Do they work out in strategy as well?

feynman, u in consulting line?
Yes they do. Albeit a very small part of its business. People also think that IBM and Accenture are IT consulting. Depending on how you see it, yes. However, to say that they do not do strategy is a falsehood.

Increasingly, clients want all their problems fixed under one roof. The main one stop providers now are IBM, Accenture, Capgemini and increasingly Oracle(very small). Oracle does strategy too you know? Who would have thought?

Partially. Not quite there yet. Gonna start work in Zurich on an internal consulting project whilst writing my thesis.
TSfiremelon
post Aug 12 2011, 10:01 PM

29 posts

I see. Is a MBA important for a consulting job?
feynman
post Aug 12 2011, 10:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(firemelon @ Aug 12 2011, 10:01 PM)
I see. Is a MBA important for a consulting job?
Yes and no. Different entry routes for different qualification. Still start at the bottom anyways.
guitar8888
post Aug 13 2011, 12:30 PM

Getting Started
100 posts

For TS information, there are smaller management cosulting firms such as Arthur Andersen and Roland Berger which had just opened its office in KL in June/July if I am not mistaken. To be honest, I have no clue how's the job scope for management consultant. I've heard what they do in theory but not sure how do they actually function in real life.

Adrian, which firm are you in? Just curious because to my best knowledge (and my knowledge isn't very good) there are not many firms in the niche industry like you mentioned.

thlo87
post Aug 31 2011, 09:17 PM

Getting Started
94 posts

Hi guys,

I am a frustrated fresh grad job seeker who have been applying for management consulting related jobs for the past 2 months. I received so little replies that i am starting to wonder if i am not qualified enough for these positions. Can anyone tell me what i am missing, and which consulting firms i stand a higher chance getting into ?

I did an accelerated MBA course in RMIT, and have graduated with first class honours in B.Eng(Civil) from University of Melbourne. However, I have little involvement in university activities, and have no intern/work experience.

I have applied to most of the consulting firms in malaysia, including those in this list http://www.consultingcase101.com/forum/Thr...Lumpur-Malaysia , but i only get ONE reply, which is from Accenture, asking me to wait until mid september when they will start assessing and hiring new consultants.

A friend of mine, whom applied for internship with Accenture the same time as me, has already started working with them. And they even asked him to consider for a full time consultant position.

So, what am i missing, and how can i improve my resume to stand a better chance in getting into any of these consulting firms. And what exactly are these firms looking for, in fresh grad?

And which are the consulting companies that are hiring aggressively atm?

adrianwtx90
post Aug 31 2011, 09:27 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(thlo87 @ Aug 31 2011, 10:17 PM)
Hi guys,

I am a frustrated fresh grad job seeker who have been applying for management consulting related jobs for the past 2 months. I received so little replies that i am starting to wonder if i am not qualified enough for these positions. Can anyone tell me what i am missing, and which consulting firms i stand a higher chance getting into ?

I did an accelerated MBA course in RMIT, and have graduated with first class honours in B.Eng(Civil) from University of Melbourne. However, I have little involvement in university activities, and have no intern/work experience.

I have applied to most of the consulting firms in malaysia, including those in this list http://www.consultingcase101.com/forum/Thr...Lumpur-Malaysia , but i only get ONE reply, which is from Accenture, asking me to wait until mid september when they will start assessing and hiring new consultants.

A friend of mine, whom applied for internship with Accenture the same time as me, has already started working with them. And they even asked him to consider for a full time consultant position.

So, what am i missing, and how can i improve my resume to stand a better chance in getting into any of these consulting firms. And what exactly are these firms looking for, in fresh grad?

And which are the consulting companies that are hiring aggressively atm?
Hmm..weird..i would assume you tried deloitte and PWC..they are relatively much easier to get into..did you try getting jobs from oz?..
those that went for internship with accenture stand a better chance if they would like to work for accenture after they graduate, obviously..i think only Accenture, PWC, deloitte, KPMG, E&Y actually hires quite often..

thlo87
post Aug 31 2011, 11:22 PM

Getting Started
94 posts

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Aug 31 2011, 09:27 PM)
Hmm..weird..i would assume you tried deloitte and PWC..they are relatively much easier to get into..did you try getting jobs from oz?..
those that went for internship with accenture stand a better chance if they would like to work for accenture after they graduate, obviously..i think only Accenture, PWC, deloitte, KPMG, E&Y actually hires quite often..
Thanks Adrian, for your input

I have only applied for Engineering jobs in Melbourne, and that was after my engineering degree. It was damn hard to even land an interview in Australia, so i end up studying master and came home to look for job. I thought it would be much easier to find a job in Malaysia.

I have applied to KPMG, Deloitte, and PWC. However, E&Y doesnt seem to be employing atm, and it has been a while since there is no job postings for malaysia offices in their online career site. Anyone knows when they are going to post up job openings again for Malaysian offices?

Also, is University of Melbourne famous enough to be considered by MBB (Bain,Mckinsey,BCG) ? Do they even notify you that you are not qualified? Cause i have applied to these 3 firms a while ago, but has yet to receive any reply.

adrianwtx90
post Sep 1 2011, 12:00 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(thlo87 @ Sep 1 2011, 12:22 AM)

I have only applied for Engineering jobs in Melbourne, and that was after my engineering degree. It was damn hard to even land an interview in Australia, so i end up studying master and came home to look for job. I thought it would be much easier to find a job in Malaysia.

I have applied to KPMG, Deloitte, and PWC. However, E&Y doesnt seem to be employing atm, and it has been a while since there is no job postings for malaysia offices in their online career site. Anyone knows when they are going to post up job openings again for Malaysian offices?

Also, is University of Melbourne famous enough to be considered by MBB (Bain,Mckinsey,BCG) ? Do they even notify you that you are not qualified? Cause i have applied to these 3 firms a while ago, but has yet to receive any reply.
i dont think RMIT or UoM would be sufficient.. and they have a small team..my lecturer went for an interview with mckinsey..and on that day itself..everyone there has a phD..about 10 people..

you seem to be very unlucky maybe..
feynman
post Sep 1 2011, 12:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(guitar8888 @ Aug 13 2011, 12:30 PM)
For TS information, there are smaller management cosulting firms such as Arthur Andersen and Roland Berger which had just opened its office in KL in June/July if I am not mistaken. To be honest, I have no clue how's the job scope for management consultant. I've heard what they do in theory but not sure how do they actually function in real life.

Adrian, which firm are you in? Just curious because to my best knowledge (and my knowledge isn't very good) there are not many firms in the niche industry like you mentioned.
Arthur Andersen? What age are you living in leh?

QUOTE(thlo87 @ Aug 31 2011, 11:22 PM)

Firstly, don't let your alma mater(how famous or what not) determine what career path you can take or which firm you can work for. That's not the right attitude.

The firms which you have mentioned do statistically hire at selective schools. Not entirely because the schools are selective but because these schools have large enrollment and many alumni from these schools are working at these firms. If you check the offices of these firms in Australia, you would find a lot of consultants who studied in Melbourne etc.

As for the offices in Malaysia, hiring is not really an annual event. These offices are very small, so small that they do not usually hire through the normal channels. However, it doesn't mean there are no openings. You just have to be special. You need to have networks and you must know how to nurture them. Otherwise, it ain't happening. Do you have linkedin to begin with?

You did an MBA, was the career service helpful at RMIT? I believe that you should know what goes into a CV that targets for consulting jobs. It's impossible to say what's lacking so for me, I would first look at the CV, what's written on it. It's not about what posts you have held, it's about what you have done and what was the result and impact of those actions. If you don't have work experience, it's not the end of the road. Think of the conscious decisions that you made while at school that brought about change. If you have neither, then perhaps you should do an internship first or do something that means a lot to you and would bring about some impact.

Check out managementconsulted.com

You should be able to get most of your questions answered from it.

maggi
post Sep 1 2011, 01:57 AM

Regular
1,653 posts

QUOTE(guitar8888 @ Aug 13 2011, 12:30 PM)

wow they are back ?

where is the office tongue.gif
thlo87
post Sep 1 2011, 02:00 AM

Getting Started
94 posts

Thanks adrian and feynman,

for the advice. I do have a linkedin. So do i add these consulting firms in linkedin and ask them for employment opportunity? Btw, I can only find accenture (malaysia) in linkedin.

Feynman if you don't mind and have the extra time to spare. Can you have a look at my resume and tell me if anything in it is presented wrongly? Can you pm your email add so i can email you my CV? Thanks

This post has been edited by thlo87: Sep 1 2011, 02:10 AM
feynman
post Sep 2 2011, 06:27 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(thlo87 @ Sep 1 2011, 02:00 AM)
Thanks adrian and feynman,

for the advice. I do have a linkedin. So do i add these consulting firms in linkedin and ask them for employment opportunity? Btw, I can only find accenture (malaysia) in linkedin.

Feynman if you don't mind and have the extra time to spare. Can you have a look at my resume and tell me if anything in it is presented wrongly? Can you pm your email add so i can email you my CV? Thanks
Well, you don't ask them for a job. Networking is actually an art. You can't rush into it. The point here is actually being 'visible'.

Ms.Misao
post Sep 12 2011, 12:00 AM

Getting Started
85 posts

Hi i'm interested in joining a strategy/management consultancy firm. But from the posts i've read, it seems that it is nearly almost impossible for a fresh grad to enter companies like Bain, Mckinsey & BCG.

So how about Roland Berger and Accenture? Which one do i stand a better chance of getting into? I'm a fresh grad from Monash with a degree in Business & Commerce (International Business & Management major).

This post has been edited by Ms.Misao: Sep 12 2011, 12:09 AM
adrianwtx90
post Sep 12 2011, 12:06 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 12 2011, 01:00 AM)
Hi i'm interested in joining a management consultancy firm. But from the posts i've read, it seems that it is nearly almost impossible for a fresh grad to enter companies like Bain, Mckinsey & BCG.

So how about Roland Berger and Accenture? Which one do i stand a better chance of getting into? I'm a fresh grad from Monash with a degree in Business & Commerce (International Business & Management major).
no harm trying. how about trying both? LOL. i would guess accenture
Ms.Misao
post Sep 12 2011, 12:11 AM

Getting Started
85 posts

I've applied for Accenture yesterday through their website. I suppose i'll try out Roland Berger as well. smile.gif Any other good firms to recommend?
adrianwtx90
post Sep 12 2011, 12:14 AM

Getting Started
224 posts

try all the companies on that list..all are good i guess..the problem with Accenture is..they would go overseas and get malaysian students to join after they graduate..so this would reflect on your chances as well..consulting are not big..

This post has been edited by adrianwtx90: Sep 12 2011, 12:25 AM
seanwc101
post Sep 12 2011, 01:03 AM

Casual
346 posts

WHO IS WORKING IN ONE OF THOSE FIRMS???
PiggyAikz
post Sep 12 2011, 10:26 AM

Getting Started
193 posts

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Sep 1 2011, 03:00 AM)
i dont think RMIT or UoM would be sufficient.. and they have a small team..my lecturer went for an interview with mckinsey..and on that day itself..everyone there has a phD..about 10 people..

you seem to be very unlucky maybe..
I would think both schools are actually good enough for top management consulting firms. Assuming you are looking at the Australian market, I am sure most Australians would not go to US to get an ivy league qualification when their education system in Australia is pretty good itself and close to home. So I am sure both schools would qualify but UoM would probably fall under target schools for Australia. Target schools are schools where the top firms go for their recruitment roadshows. Non-target school also stands a chance just that you have to apply on your own and not via campus recruitment which makes it slightly more difficult as you have less visibility compared to target school graduates.

Google for Mckinsey's Malaysian site. For undergrads aspiring to land a position with Mckinsey, please check out their Youth Leadership Academy workshop. Google it.
Ms.Misao
post Sep 12 2011, 02:06 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Sep 12 2011, 12:14 AM)
try all the companies on that list..all are good i guess..the problem with Accenture is..they would go overseas and get malaysian students to join after they graduate..so this would reflect on your chances as well..consulting are not big..
Yeah there's a lot of competition. But oh well i'll just try my luck. Waiting for Accenture to reply. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ms.Misao: Sep 12 2011, 02:15 PM
adrianwtx90
post Sep 12 2011, 02:33 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 12 2011, 03:06 PM)
Yeah there's a lot of competition. But oh well i'll just try my luck. Waiting for Accenture to reply. smile.gif
I heard. recruitment only starts between December to February. they are full now. but demands might change depending on projects
Mr.Wang
post Sep 12 2011, 04:58 PM

Casual
377 posts

Applied Accenture job openings before. Got rejected few hours after I applied online sweat.gif doh.gif
Ms.Misao
post Sep 14 2011, 03:43 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Sep 12 2011, 02:33 PM)
I heard. recruitment only starts between December to February. they are full now. but demands might change depending on projects
Really? I saw the job posting for "Consulting Graduate Program" on their website (Date posted: 21st August 2011). So that means they're currently recruiting right? Any idea how long it usually takes for them to reply? I applied 4 days ago.
seanwc101
post Sep 14 2011, 03:48 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 14 2011, 03:43 PM)
Really? I saw the job posting for "Consulting Graduate Program" on their website (Date posted: 21st August 2011). So that means they're currently recruiting right? Any idea how long it usually takes for them to reply? I applied 4 days ago.
Maybe you got chance to be shortlisted for the interview. I applied this position before and they rejected my application 2 hours after I applied. I dunno, maybe they only want student who studied in top overseas university or what.
Ms.Misao
post Sep 14 2011, 03:56 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(seanwc101 @ Sep 14 2011, 03:48 PM)
Maybe you got chance to be shortlisted for the interview. I applied this position before and they rejected my application 2 hours after I applied. I dunno, maybe they only want student who studied in top overseas university or what.
Wow so they usually reply that fast? I really hope i got shortlisted then. *prays hard*
seanwc101
post Sep 14 2011, 04:00 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 14 2011, 03:56 PM)
Wow so they usually reply that fast? I really hope i got shortlisted then. *prays hard*
Ya, they notified me via email real fast. Maybe they only select top student for this post. May I know what's your academic qualification? U from ipts or overseas uni?
Ms.Misao
post Sep 14 2011, 04:04 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(seanwc101 @ Sep 14 2011, 04:00 PM)
Ya, they notified me via email real fast. Maybe they only select top student for this post. May I know what's your academic qualification? U from ipts or overseas uni?
I got a degree in Business and Commerce (Double major in International Business and Management) from Monash University.
adrianwtx90
post Sep 14 2011, 04:04 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 14 2011, 04:43 PM)
for gods sake. it will always be there. it was there 4 months ago. they just accept applications and make sure their pool is healthy. if they are in need, they can always just reach in that pool and grab some out. i spoke to the HR. they are currently full (as of August). things will always change..
Ms.Misao
post Sep 14 2011, 04:07 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Sep 14 2011, 04:04 PM)
for gods sake. it will always be there. it was there 4 months ago. they just accept applications and make sure their pool is healthy. if they are in need, they can always just reach in that pool and grab some out. i spoke to the HR. they are currently full (as of August). things will always change..
Lol don't be mad bro. Was just curious based on the date of the posting i saw there on the site. :9
adrianwtx90
post Sep 14 2011, 04:07 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

if you are good. they will KIV you if there is no opening.

Added on September 14, 2011, 4:09 pm
QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 14 2011, 05:07 PM)
Lol don't be mad bro. Was just curious based on the date of the posting i saw there on the site. :9
headache.. doh.gif

This post has been edited by adrianwtx90: Sep 14 2011, 04:09 PM
YH90
post Sep 14 2011, 04:17 PM

On my way
606 posts

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Sep 14 2011, 04:07 PM)

headache.. doh.gif
Curious about KIV. Do they really call you back when there's a job opening?

I applied for Accenture Consulting during the end of July. I dropped off my CV during the career fair and they called me up a week later.
Next week should be my final stage.
seanwc101
post Sep 14 2011, 04:19 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 14 2011, 04:04 PM)
I got a degree in Business and Commerce (Double major in International Business and Management) from Monash University.

OK noted smile.gif

headache.. doh.gif

if get KIV then no hope already
adrianwtx90
post Sep 14 2011, 04:20 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

dont take my word for it. hard to say. they KIV you. because they dont want to reject you at times. not because you are very good. so if in the event they have vacancies. its probably easier to stick their hand in new fresh applicants. than to dig out old ones that they KIV. unless you really stick out in their database.

Added on September 14, 2011, 4:20 pm
QUOTE(seanwc101 @ Sep 14 2011, 05:19 PM)
OK noted  smile.gif
LOL..thats what i felt too..

QUOTE(seanwc101 @ Sep 14 2011, 05:19 PM)
OK noted  smile.gif

This post has been edited by adrianwtx90: Sep 14 2011, 04:20 PM
seanwc101
post Sep 14 2011, 04:23 PM

Casual
346 posts

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Sep 14 2011, 04:20 PM)
dont take my word for it. hard to say. they KIV you. because they dont want to reject you at times. not because you are very good. so if in the event they have vacancies. its probably easier to stick their hand in new fresh applicants. than to dig out old ones that they KIV. unless you really stick out in their database.

I think if they say KIV, it means they politely reject your application.
adrianwtx90
post Sep 14 2011, 04:26 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(seanwc101 @ Sep 14 2011, 05:23 PM)
I think if they say KIV, it means they politely reject your application.
nono. there is quite a difference. depending on situation.
crysis08
post Sep 14 2011, 04:26 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

You can try Avanade. It is also under Accenture but more on the Microsoft Technologies.
Ms.Misao
post Sep 14 2011, 05:08 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

Lets say they decide to KIV, will they notify you about that? Problem is, i haven't heard anything yet except that they have received my application and will get back to me later. I'm just really curious about my application status. unsure.gif

QUOTE(crysis08 @ Sep 14 2011, 04:26 PM)
You can try Avanade. It is also under Accenture but more on the Microsoft Technologies.
Sounds pretty good. Will check it out. smile.gif
adrianwtx90
post Sep 14 2011, 05:15 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 14 2011, 06:08 PM)
Lets say they decide to KIV, will they notify you about that? Problem is, i haven't heard anything yet except that they have received my application and will get back to me later. I'm just really curious about my application status.  unsure.gif
Sounds pretty good. Will check it out. smile.gif
my case was, they just say. they want to proceed me. and the feedback was good. they have openings overseas and asked if i was ok. and i rejected it. so she said to keep in touch with me. so i waited and then i approached her instead. she replied with an opening. so i dont know how to answer your question. but i would say, its a no in my case, unless you approach your recruiter. rejection would mean you need to wait 2 years. KIV. like setengah jalan lo.

Added on September 14, 2011, 5:24 pmthey hire by truck loads for technology and SI consulting. dont worry. lol. Management harder la. haha

This post has been edited by adrianwtx90: Sep 14 2011, 05:24 PM
Ms.Misao
post Sep 14 2011, 05:36 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Sep 14 2011, 05:15 PM)
my case was, they just say. they want to proceed me. and the feedback was good. they have openings overseas and asked if i was ok. and i rejected it. so she said to keep in touch with me. so i waited and then i approached her instead. she replied with an opening. so i dont know how to answer your question. but i would say, its a no in my case, unless you approach your recruiter. rejection would mean you need to wait 2 years. KIV. like setengah jalan lo.

Added on September 14, 2011, 5:24 pmthey hire by truck loads for technology and SI consulting. dont worry. lol. Management harder la. haha
How fast did you get the reply notifying you that you could proceed? Considering that i only applied a few days ago, i guess i'll wait a little longer before i lose hope. Haha trying to be optimistic. xD

Yeah i heard the same. But i'm so much more interested in management consulting.

This post has been edited by Ms.Misao: Sep 14 2011, 05:37 PM
adrianwtx90
post Sep 14 2011, 05:39 PM

Getting Started
224 posts

what specific stream of management consulting you interested in?..their strategy is hard to go in..and usually for management, they will go overseas and recruit students to come back.

Added on September 14, 2011, 5:41 pm
QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Sep 14 2011, 06:39 PM)
what specific stream of management consulting you interested in?..their strategy is hard to go in..and usually for management, they will go overseas and recruit students to come back.
couldnt remember. but its not long. 1-2 weeks

Added on September 14, 2011, 5:45 pmimagine a shopping spree.LOL.they grab'em before they even graduate.

This post has been edited by adrianwtx90: Sep 14 2011, 05:45 PM
Ms.Misao
post Sep 14 2011, 06:08 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Sep 14 2011, 05:39 PM)

Added on September 14, 2011, 5:41 pm

couldnt remember. but its not long. 1-2 weeks

Added on September 14, 2011, 5:45 pmimagine a shopping spree.LOL.they grab'em before they even graduate.
I'm interested in either strategy or process & innovation performance. smile.gif

Ouh ok 1-2 weeks. There's still hope. xD
feynman
post Sep 16 2011, 06:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
4,774 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Sep 12 2011, 12:00 AM)
Hi i'm interested in joining a strategy/management consultancy firm. But from the posts i've read, it seems that it is nearly almost impossible for a fresh grad to enter companies like Bain, Mckinsey & BCG.

Nonsense. Don't let the brand name of your school dictate which firm you could or couldn't work for.

The reason why many firms have target schools is mainly because of 2 things. Costs and familiarity. If your school churns out a big number of high calibre students a year and if your school is located close to an office, it makes sense from a financial point of view to recruit there. Secondly, because of past recruiting cycles, the people who are already working in the firm would prefer to go back to their alma mater to recruit, familiarity and ties matter. Will talk about it later. It represents a substantial cost and sometimes sunk cost to the firm if it tries a new school without knowing the result.

Manchester Business School is really a good school, it should be on par if not better than Imperial and Cass but because it's in Manchester, it doesn't get the share as those London schools. Why would any firm based in London go to Manchester to recruit when there are Cass, LBS, LSE, Imperial and other UOL colleges to recruit from? if those guys from MBS wanna work for us, let them apply on their own. The only advantage that the guys in the target schools have is that they can network and make a good first impression. However, not many do it or know how to leverage it to their advantage.

Of course, grades are important, but they are not everything. Landing a consulting job is difficult but not impossible. The levers which one must balance well to get an offer can be summarised to just 4. Networking, Passion in whatever you do, Fit and Case interviews. IMO, networking is the most important, for if one doesn't have it, one is likely going to be just a number even though if one is a good fit and excels in case interviews.

QUOTE(adrianwtx90 @ Sep 14 2011, 05:15 PM)

You do know that travelling is an inherent part of the job. You could at times be based overseas for 6 months or a year. So if you want to be close to home, consulting probably is not the best career choice.

Management is harder because of the cases. With enough practice, it won't be hard.

Daily Kaizen
post Feb 24 2015, 09:10 PM

Getting Started
208 posts

QUOTE(Futurelab @ Feb 24 2015, 04:15 PM)
Hi guys,

If you are interested in finding out about the consulting industry in Malaysia, We at Futurelab are hosting an informal meet and greet this Saturday the 28th February 2015 with consultants from Accenture, BCG, Ethos and a few others.

If you are interested please sign up via this link:

http://goo.gl/forms/9KIetTWgif
We have limited spots available (12 spaces) so sign up ASAP if you would like to attend.

To find out more about Futurelab - Please visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/futurelab.my

Kind Regards,
Brian @ Futurelab
Hi Brian,

Good evening. Thanks for sharing the FB page, I have liked and followed your FB page.
Would certainly keen to know more about Futurelab, is it a headhunter firm?

Sincerely,
Daily Kaizen
bdwag88
post Jun 24 2016, 03:29 PM

3 posts

Hey guys,

I checked out www.Futurelab.my, quite an interesting concept - you guys might find it useful. Spoke to an ex PWC consultant, Accenture consultant and a guy from Ethos

Hope that helps smile.gif
Ms.Misao
post Oct 25 2017, 08:17 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

Well this is nostalgic. Stumbled upon this post again when i was googling for something.

And yes it's true that you do have a chance to join management consulting even if you're not from Ivy league. I ended up joining as a fresh grad and im still here to this day. Just be prepared to be resilient. Things do get tough and attrition rates can get pretty scary as most people can't handle the pressure. I can easily say 80-90% of people from my batch are gone. Good learning curve though.
seriousDn
post Oct 26 2017, 06:01 AM

40 posts

QUOTE(Ms.Misao @ Oct 25 2017, 05:17 AM)
Well this is nostalgic. Stumbled upon this post again when i was googling for something.

And yes it's true that you do have a chance to join management consulting even if you're not from Ivy league. I ended up joining as a fresh grad and im still here to this day. Just be prepared to be resilient. Things do get tough and attrition rates can get pretty scary as most people can't handle the pressure. I can easily say 80-90% of people from my batch are gone. Good learning curve though.
Mind if I ask which firm you joined as a fresh grad? Also is it true that consulting firms have a strict GPA cutoff for applicants?
96chan
post Feb 11 2019, 12:29 PM

5 posts

I've been aiming for ACN analyst intern program. Mind to share any tips for the interviewing process? What are the questions that they asked?

This post has been edited by 96chan: Feb 11 2019, 12:31 PM
lostxkitten
post Feb 11 2019, 12:32 PM

Getting Started
150 posts

i am fresh grad consultant (civil) but of course got senior to guide me.
96chan
post Feb 12 2019, 01:50 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(lostxkitten @ Feb 11 2019, 12:32 PM)
i am fresh grad consultant (civil) but of course got senior to guide me.
Nice! Are you working with ACN?
96chan
post Feb 12 2019, 01:59 AM

5 posts

QUOTE(Manada @ Feb 11 2019, 08:00 PM)
Have you applied? CV must be good yo, at least CGPA 3.3 and lots or leadership and extra co-curricular activities.

After the resume screening, there will be a phone screening, then video interview (self recorded). This is only for internship program
I did the pymetric test. My next move is the digital interview so I hope someone can enlighten me regarding the questions asked. So far, I haven't receive any calls tho.
96chan
post Feb 12 2019, 05:40 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(Manada @ Feb 12 2019, 11:02 AM)
> What do you know about accenture? Why you do want to work in accenture?
> How do you solve conflicts within groups? Tell us a difficult time and how you solve it?
> What is your most significant accomplishment to date and why?
> How you effectively use different communication channels and technologies to make communication more effectively within teams and with clients
The above are 70-80% correct if my memory serves me right. I did the digital interview twice. Good luck.
I see. Mostly are behavioral questions. Thanks ya!
Ms.Misao
post Feb 16 2019, 05:45 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

QUOTE(seriousDn @ Oct 26 2017, 06:01 AM)
Mind if I ask which firm you joined as a fresh grad? Also is it true that consulting firms have a strict GPA cutoff for applicants?
QUOTE(Manada @ Feb 11 2019, 07:58 PM)
Which company? Gimme some hints
Well when i first joined as fresh grad it was HR consulting firm. Starts with a "W". Now i'm in Management Consulting. Starts with an "A" smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0277sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:45 PM