Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
377 Pages « < 226 227 228 229 230 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Digital TV Station Malaysia, How do I tune to digital TV station?

views

JohnLai
post Jun 15 2018, 01:07 AM

Skeptical Cat
3,620 posts

QUOTE(shaun_kok @ Jun 15 2018, 12:33 AM)
This is one of the reason why MYTV first recommended 6Mbps for HDTV transmission although it is definitely not enough for good quality picture. It seems that MYTV will transmit HDTV quality pictures on around 4Mbps only due to TV operators complaining for high fees, which make heavy pixelation/breakup for complex pictures. Alternatively, HEVC codec could be used on similar bitrate with better quality pictures but the current generation of TV and set top boxes could not decode the picture.
Oh yes, if you downloaded the sample I recorded, at the scene where the kid plays with fireworks, you can see the pixelation. puke.gif

Give up on HEVC, if our dear broadcasters and mytv already have enough complaint with price and deployment even with H264, there is no way for HEVC to take root.
nuvi
post Jun 15 2018, 07:06 AM

10k Club
All Stars
15,991 posts

QUOTE(JohnLai @ Jun 14 2018, 07:48 PM)
1 ) Normal UHF antenna will not need amplifier if one live near the transmitter and have clear line of sight. Plug and play.
2 ) The rotating UHF antenna where amplifer is built-in together with the motor. (This one normally uses power adapter 12V)
3 ) An UHF antenna with amplifer built-in at the box right in the antenna (Normally 5V 500mA supplied by decoder directly to the antenna via the Belling-Lee connector or F connector)
4 ) An UHF antenna without without any amplifier. In this case, one would purchase a USB powered amplifer to connect the antenna and tv. See below.
user posted image

Thanks for the info, very informative.

I live about 40-50km from the transmitter. Using antenna without amplifier/booster I'm getting very grainy picture for analog transmission. With DVB-T2 decoder I'm not getting any channel at all. Does it need strong signal in order to detect the digital transmission?
shaun_kok
post Jun 15 2018, 07:12 AM

Enthusiast
909 posts

QUOTE(JohnLai @ Jun 15 2018, 01:07 AM)
Oh yes, if you downloaded the sample I recorded, at the scene where the kid plays with fireworks, you can see the pixelation.  puke.gif

Give up on HEVC, if our dear broadcasters and mytv already have enough complaint with price and deployment even with H264, there is no way for HEVC to take root.
It could be possible to use HEVC if the DTT transmission started much later. HEVC codec at that time is still on its early development stage and there were not even one receiver who has such chipset. As a result, they settled down on H.264 Some viewers tend to keep their existing decoders and TV as long as they could work. Some of them even want to wait for free decoders although one could easily get the official MYTV branded ones for RM 187 or those unbranded DVB-T2 decoders like K2 for around RM60-100! Because of this, it is no longer possible/feasible to use HEVC codec as it will render all existing DVB-T2 TVs and set top boxes useless.

Just like the case in Australia (when they start HDTV back on 2001), the best codec available at that time was MPEG-2 and broadcasters there also simulcast both SD and HD MPEG-2 channels in the same multiplex (Each TV station there gets 1X 7MHz multiplex with total bitrate of 23Mbps). Problems start to arise circa 2009-2010 when the broadcasters start multichannel operations as per government requirements. The main channels are also required to broadcast in MPEG-2 SDTV only, so as to take care viewers who purchase decoders back to year 2001 which only supports MPEG-2 SD. As a result, they lost not only primary channels in HD format which it used to have under old agreement, but had to suffer to HD secondary channels which these channels often broadcast aged content (sometimes back in the 50s!) + poor TV quality across all channels. When they restart HD broadcasts on 2015 using H.264 format, some viewers (especially those who are still using older decoders) are complaining to the television station why they cannot receive the HD version of said TV channel, in most cases just because they are using older equipment. When the main channel starts broadcast HDTV on H.264, the secondary channel which broadcast in MPEG-2 HD has to downgraded to MPEG-2 SD to accomdate it. In addition, viewers had to suffer low bitrate HDTV channels, as they still need to broadcast all the existing channels on MPEG-2 SD plus the HD simulcast main channel on H.264 in a single multiplex.

This post has been edited by shaun_kok: Jun 15 2018, 07:18 AM
Rushy
post Jun 15 2018, 09:47 AM

Getting Started
225 posts

I am using samsung MU6300 UHD TV which has DVB-T2.
However during night time when i tried to see news i have frequent pixel jerk(not sure it is a correct term) and lose of sound which is very frustrating.
Is it my DVB-T2 receiver is not strong enough?
What can be done to overcome that?
Note:Oh, i live in an apartment.

This post has been edited by Rushy: Jun 15 2018, 09:48 AM
truelife
post Jun 15 2018, 10:11 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(Rushy @ Jun 15 2018, 09:47 AM)
I am using samsung MU6300 UHD TV which has DVB-T2.
However during night time when i tried to see news i have frequent pixel jerk(not sure it is a correct term) and lose of sound which is very frustrating.
Is it my DVB-T2 receiver is not strong enough?
What can be done to overcome that?
Note:Oh, i live in an apartment.
Check the signal strength and signal quality. Esepcially signal quality, you need to have a decent SQ of at least 60% and above in order to have a more stable video image. You just need to adjust the location and orientation of your antenna for better SQ.

This post has been edited by truelife: Jun 15 2018, 10:11 AM
truelife
post Jun 15 2018, 10:16 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(shaun_kok @ Jun 15 2018, 12:33 AM)
This is one of the reason why MYTV first recommended 6Mbps for HDTV transmission although it is definitely not enough for good quality picture. It seems that MYTV will transmit HDTV quality pictures on around 4Mbps only due to TV operators complaining for high fees, which make heavy pixelation/breakup for complex pictures. Alternatively, HEVC codec could be used on similar bitrate with better quality pictures but the current generation of TV and set top boxes could not decode the picture.
RTM HD is showing a repeat World Cup match. Image breakup can sometimes be noticed when there is a fast movement. Meanwhile, Astro Arena HD has a sharper image.
JohnLai
post Jun 15 2018, 11:24 AM

Skeptical Cat
3,620 posts

QUOTE(nuvi @ Jun 15 2018, 07:06 AM)
Thanks for the info, very informative.

I live about 40-50km from the transmitter. Using antenna without amplifier/booster I'm getting very grainy picture for analog transmission. With DVB-T2 decoder I'm not getting any channel at all. Does it need strong signal in order to detect the digital transmission?
You probably live at fringe area if you mention grainy image for analog, consider to get a UHF amplifier.

QUOTE(truelife @ Jun 15 2018, 10:16 AM)
RTM HD is showing a repeat World Cup match. Image breakup can sometimes be noticed when there is a fast movement. Meanwhile, Astro Arena HD has a sharper image.
CEEHHHHHH, and I thought it is only me who encounters that weird image breakup at RTM HD repeat match. bangwall.gif
Max bandwidth 4700 is being used throughout the match, there is no fluctuation.

EDIT:
Here a sample direct capture of RTM HD world cup match repeat today. Full of image breakdown
https://ufile.io/dp3xr

RTM HD Raya Sample from few days ago
https://ufile.io/crhfy

Link will expire after 30 days.

Wasted my time checking with 3 antennas and 2 amplifiers only to discover TV3 HD is running fine except RTM HD channel with image breakup. doh.gif

This post has been edited by JohnLai: Jun 15 2018, 12:39 PM
Rushy
post Jun 15 2018, 08:46 PM

Getting Started
225 posts

QUOTE(truelife @ Jun 15 2018, 10:11 AM)
Check the signal strength and signal quality. Esepcially signal quality, you need to have a decent SQ of at least 60% and above in order to have a more stable video image. You just need to adjust the location and orientation of your antenna for better SQ.
I did do a signal quality check, it is 9x% and randomly drop(not often tho), but signal quality is pretty low which is lower than 40% and sometimes 0%.
Antenna is at the roof top which is not accessible to us. I did highlight to the management, but it seems they just say to get njoi.
Is it recommended to get my own antenna and just fix it outside my window?

This post has been edited by Rushy: Jun 15 2018, 08:51 PM
truelife
post Jun 15 2018, 10:28 PM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(Rushy @ Jun 15 2018, 08:46 PM)
I did do a signal quality check, it is 9x% and randomly drop(not often tho), but signal quality is pretty low which is lower than 40% and sometimes 0%.
Antenna is at the roof top which is not accessible to us. I did highlight to the management, but it seems they just say to get njoi.
Is it recommended to get my own antenna and just fix it outside my window?
Your condo master antenna supports analog TV channels but not digital TV channels. If your location is not too far away from the nearest transmitter, you may try an indoor antenna. Adjust the location and orientation of your indoor antenna until getting signal quality of above 60%.
nexona88
post Jun 16 2018, 08:19 AM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,835 posts

RTM HD is free..
And the world cup match is sponsored..
So we cannot demand much.. I'm actually surprise RTM gave HD eventho its quality sucks.. Didn't expected them to have HD this year laugh.gif

As for sharper image quality from Astro Arena HD.. Well they uses like 8Mbps compared with RTM...
Rushy
post Jun 16 2018, 11:57 AM

Getting Started
225 posts

QUOTE(truelife @ Jun 15 2018, 10:28 PM)
Your condo master antenna supports analog TV channels but not digital TV channels. If your location is not too far away from the nearest transmitter, you may try an indoor antenna. Adjust the location and orientation of your indoor antenna until getting signal quality of above 60%.
Hmm, ok, any good antenna to get?
skycrawler
post Jun 16 2018, 01:39 PM

New World ^^
2,227 posts

guys, my condominium wont allowed plugged in antenna individually but they said they provided it and just plug my cable to the tv plug on the wall. how to know they are using the right antenna for digital tv? 🤔
YoungMan
post Jun 16 2018, 01:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,394 posts

QUOTE(skycrawler @ Jun 16 2018, 02:39 PM)
guys, my condominium wont allowed plugged in antenna individually but they said they provided it and just plug my cable to the tv plug on the wall. how to know they are using the right antenna for digital tv?  🤔
That wall socket provided are not for digital signal. As someone suggested, if you are not far from tower why not get an indoor antenna.
JohnLai
post Jun 16 2018, 02:33 PM

Skeptical Cat
3,620 posts

Here the sample of "HD" repeat broadcast of uruguay vs egypt by RTM HD.

https://ufile.io/ys4m8
Ignore the greenish 2 seconds in front of the sample. The I-Frame is missing from the capture

Seem like image breakdown kinda fixed, but the amount of pixelation.....sigh...
skycrawler
post Jun 16 2018, 02:39 PM

New World ^^
2,227 posts

QUOTE(YoungMan @ Jun 16 2018, 01:47 PM)
That wall socket provided are not for digital signal. As someone suggested, if you are not far from tower why not get an indoor antenna.
mine will be The Mines area. Is it near to the tower?
jamesteoh8177
post Jun 16 2018, 02:46 PM

Casual
465 posts

QUOTE(johnpang2388 @ Jun 14 2018, 05:43 PM)
Another great digital antenna, 21E UX. For people who are staying further away frm the station.
do you have anything for those staing in condo?
i am using a Sharp LCD TV model LC-40LE835X. Its a smart TV with digital TV option but i cant signal at all.

i am staying in pj paramount area.

skycrawler
post Jun 16 2018, 05:29 PM

New World ^^
2,227 posts

any recommendation for internal antenna?
nexona88
post Jun 16 2018, 06:22 PM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,835 posts

QUOTE(skycrawler @ Jun 16 2018, 02:39 PM)
mine will be The Mines area. Is it near to the tower?
Bukit Serdang tower tongue.gif
JohnLai
post Jun 16 2018, 07:34 PM

Skeptical Cat
3,620 posts

QUOTE(jamesteoh8177 @ Jun 16 2018, 02:46 PM)
do you have anything for those staing in condo?
i am using a Sharp LCD TV model LC-40LE835X. Its a smart TV with digital TV option but i cant signal at all.

i am staying in pj paramount area.
......cause your model only supports DVB-T and not DVB-T2
Qash-M
post Jun 16 2018, 11:12 PM

#FreePalestine
5,957 posts

https://www.nst.com.my/opinion/columnists/2...ee-air-tv-glory

from the Media Prima Television Networks chief executive officer own word.

377 Pages « < 226 227 228 229 230 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0152sec    0.39    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:36 PM