Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Small Companies in Malaysia, For discussion

views

TSSalience
post May 30 2011, 02:14 PM, updated 13y ago

top of your mind.
1,361 posts

Guys, I am currently employed by a large MNC and am considering moving up in my career.

Recently, a Singapore company (SG size according to MD is 17 headcount), has proposed to me an offer to work for them in Malaysia.

I will be supposed to spearhead their operations/sales/marketing everything along with an admin staff which will do operational stuff.

Has anyone had any experience encountering / working with small organizations?

I have yet to see a physical office but was told it is a 3 bedroom condo converted @ Saville Residences OUG. The company has a good website and I've seen the company products in places like Watsons.

What should I be worried of?

They are offering me one lump sum salary which includes everything in Malaysia and after speaking with the MD, he is uncertain of employment policies in Msia and I had to furnish him with information such as transport allowance, mobile claims etc.

He has given me a 10 day annual salary. Is this the guideline?

Would require you guys to furnish me with some good information on joining small companies as wlel as sharing your experiences.

thank you very much in advance!
cute_boboi
post May 30 2011, 03:09 PM

° 忍 °
6,416 posts

I would say depends on how confident you are on the company, job scope and prospective clients in Malaysia. I've been in this situation.
HQ = US (global sales >USD1 billion/year)
Asia HQ = Singapore (20+ staff, then expand to 50+)
KL = 3 (including me)

Initially, we all work from home. Everything is delivered to my home. We communicate using email, skype and mobile h/p (call/sms). When there is a need to go out, then only change clothes tongue.gif
If there is a need to meet up among local colleagues, then we do it at Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Secret Recipe, etc. especially those with free WiFi. We choose wherever we want to go, from KL, PJ, Sunway, etc.
BTW, all meals and drinks are claimable when we meet up, since we do not have an office.

If Asia director comes over, on average once in 2-3 months, we'll meet at the hotel wherever it is. Meeting is done at restaurant together with breakfast/lunch/dinner. Sometimes will be at the business suite/lounge (e.g. KL Ritz 19th floor), where there is a small section of snacks (we sapu all) and order whatever drinks we want. The meeting can last whole day just for 4 of us (3+1), longest 9am-9pm. We have all 3 meals + 2 tea break at the hotel with the discussion on-going, it is not fun though. The only time to relax is goto washroom. Parking = free chop also. All include into director's stay there tongue.gif But of course, it'll be an intense and pressure-cooker grilling session (but that's not the point here)

All claims are done ourselves, then courier to SG. SG office will TT (swift) end of next month together with salary. We've to do local conversion and claim/pay back +/- extra.

Basically, there is not much difference with working in office, just need to be very independent and responsible. Also, no one will watch over you, but performance must keep coming. No one cares if we have 2 hours lunch, followed by tea/movie and go back home at 4pm. Sometimes whole day not working and doing own stuff also. Bottom line (like your case), must deliver results. Also, after 2-3 months, things start to stabilize and operations will be quite routine.

Also, we can have conf call anytime, depending on the time zone. 12am-2am is common.

AL and MC is not a big concern, since the working hours are so irregular.

Later on, we start to look into service-office. Then finally move into a small office, but we're rarely in the office, just for the address sake (physical office).

ExCrIpT
post May 30 2011, 03:23 PM

Regular
1,665 posts

Wow thats fun. Wat are u working as?
TSSalience
post May 30 2011, 04:37 PM

top of your mind.
1,361 posts

but that is a company that probably has a sound background.

this one, i can't really find information on it yet tho.
ssyycc
post May 30 2011, 04:48 PM

Mr.
920 posts

Ok I am giving the information from my own experience and it may or may not relevant in this case.

More than anything please understand the working culture of the company. And many company are registered in Malaysia, but who is their boss that matter. If you have a typical "china man" boss, you expect lousy well fare. If you have european boss then you will be more relax. Singaporean is very demanding and damn hardworking but you will be well paid.
Yes you will have more work than you could imagine in smaller company where MNC will define your work scope exactly.

There is always risk when opening a new office or operation in another location, once they found out it's not working well you might lose your job, because they are also doing experiment in something new.

Anyway it's sounds exciting and adventurous to me. So it's up to you for the upcoming challenge.

This post has been edited by ssyycc: May 30 2011, 04:54 PM
cute_boboi
post May 30 2011, 05:01 PM

° 忍 °
6,416 posts

QUOTE(Salience @ May 30 2011, 04:37 PM)
but that is a company that probably has a sound background.

this one, i can't really find information on it yet tho.
You are in the industry. You should know the local market, the potential, etc.

Try visit the SG office, try find their SG clients and ask around. Try ask if can follow SG people (spend 1 week) there and see how they operate and style of work.

There is no big difference between US/Chinaman for a startup in KL. The risk is greater, but the reward is better also. Even a US company can close their KL operations and move everything back to Asia-HQ.

It can be a turning point in your career, both positive/negative.

TSSalience
post May 30 2011, 05:01 PM

top of your mind.
1,361 posts

But the risk is, assuming suddenly they decide to sack me or bad salary payments or they withhold salary/ declare bankruptcy etc

are they still bound by Malaysian law?
cute_boboi
post May 30 2011, 05:39 PM

° 忍 °
6,416 posts

QUOTE(Salience @ May 30 2011, 05:01 PM)
But the risk is, assuming suddenly they decide to sack me or bad salary payments or they withhold salary/ declare bankruptcy etc

are they still bound by Malaysian law?
Nope. Cause they don't even have a registered company here. Even if they do, they (the directors) can run away and never step foot in Malaysia. They can always hire another director for future operations in Malaysia.

What you can do is, ask them hire you with SG employment contract. I'm not sure how it goes about the necessity for EP/WP, CPF, etc. Basically, you are receiving a local-MY package, since you'll be based here 99%. However, you will be covered under SG employment law. Pay in SGD will be fine (provided the exchange rate is in your favour, unlike USD keep dropping)

They may not agree, due to additional workload for MOM, additional expenses, etc.

seantang
post May 30 2011, 05:56 PM

With Adult Supervision Only
6,624 posts

QUOTE(Salience @ May 30 2011, 02:14 PM)
He has given me a 10 day annual salary. Is this the guideline?
What's a 10 day annual salary?

Anyway,

1. if the company is not registered in Malaysia, therefore Malaysian law doesn't apply.
2. you don't have a work permit to work in Singapore, therefore Singaporean law doesn't apply and
3. they just send money to you in Malaysia (ie. you are not paid under their SG payroll with records to SG tax dept, CPF, MOM etc)...

- You are NOT employed by them. You are a service provider and they are buying services from you. You're a contractor or a freelancer. Not an employee.

- Your contract of service will state whether any contractual dispute will be resolved under Singaporean or Malaysian law.

This post has been edited by seantang: May 30 2011, 06:01 PM
SUSendau02
post May 30 2011, 06:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,180 posts

i had a bad exp with dis kinda working style.

during interview, boss say can come anytime (flexi hour) but must stay back if any outstanding. btw, my employment letter didnt say so (9~6)
first 3 months, i come at 10/11 ish but went back 9/10 ish every nite... i repeat every nite include sat sun n some public.
then after dat, project done. boss say dat i m too much, employment letter says dat i gotta come at 9 but i reach at 10/11. d thing is we stil hav to go back at ard 7/8pm . i got feddup n repeat d shit , ie come at 10/11 till i got warning letter. after dat i got pissd but i came to office on time but my productivity dropped.. i did nearly nothing during office hour, kinda dun giv a F i waitin to get sacked anyway lol
i did dat shit till my boss beh tahan me n sack me but i got another at hand d, so i dun really bother.

probly i will anounce d name of d co in lyn soon so he cant recruit anymore drone to do his job, soon but im not sure when

d bottom line is, did d boss spell everything in BnW? if he did, then ya go ahead coz dis s d new way of cutting cost for small co.
TSSalience
post May 30 2011, 11:38 PM

top of your mind.
1,361 posts

QUOTE(seantang @ May 30 2011, 05:56 PM)
What's a 10 day annual salary?

Anyway,

1. if the company is not registered in Malaysia, therefore Malaysian law doesn't apply.
2. you don't have a work permit to work in Singapore, therefore Singaporean law doesn't apply and
3. they just send money to you in Malaysia (ie. you are not paid under their SG payroll with records to SG tax dept, CPF, MOM etc)...

- You are NOT employed by them. You are a service provider and they are buying services from you. You're a contractor or a freelancer. Not an employee.

- Your contract of service will state whether any contractual dispute will be resolved under Singaporean or Malaysian law.
my bad. i meant annual leave.
their counterpart is registered in Malaysia. according to them, their accountant will bank in money into our EPF/ SOCSO etc.

what are the necessary questions i should ask to safeguard my employment and my rights?
seantang
post May 31 2011, 08:33 AM

With Adult Supervision Only
6,624 posts

what do you mean "counterpart"? And if you're not legally/formally employed by this counterpart, then you're back to square one. If you don't have an employment contract with a Malaysian company, you're freelancing. It's that simple.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0129sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:02 AM