6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Photography The Official Nikon Discussion thread V10, The dark lord continues

views

vearn27
post May 26 2011, 10:29 PM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

Anyone know what's the current price for D7000 battery grip (MB-D11)? unsure.gif
vearn27
post May 26 2011, 10:33 PM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

And I bring my replies here as well:

QUOTE((Andy214 @ May 25 2011 @ 01:49 AM))
I don't turn the Active D-Lighting on too; Used it before but didn't really pixel peep and compare; But will be nice if I take a picture, it can produce 2 output, one with D-Lighting and another without 
But then, I prefer raw, so these features become pointless.

The diffuser that provided/comes with the flash, it will soften and also spread the flash around the sides (not really sure how to explain) and the output is not what I really looking for. Most people use it and use it the basic way, flash head up 90 degrees or maybe slightly tilt. That's what you see commonly, even indoors with ceiling and walls around; When I use it, I just don't like the output. It's unnatural, and very "basic" or "mediocore" output result, in my personal opinion.
The diffuser is useful for situation without ceiling or wall as well; you often see people use the diffuser just about anywhere..... and I don't really find the light as soft "enough". In many situation, I tried it, took it off and put it back into my bag.
You can check out more on the Demb Flash Diffuser as it provides more flexibility and better results.

Sorry about the gel thingy 
Forgot where I got the term, but there was also color gel which works the same as the filter; not sure which was first tough

Well, it could be done by editing them to add Active D-Lighting, but that's lot of hassle to do it that way. When shooting raw, features such as Active D-Lighting and Noise Reduction will not be applied on the image? I'm not so sure about this but many said these are useless because they shoot RAW. Or by mean they can adjust everything after shooting via editing? Isn't JPEG can also be edited? I'm clueless about this.

I think I gotta practise more on this flash dispersing to see the effect myself, but I'm yet to fire my flash for the first time due to my workload this week. Arghhh!!! The day to shoot is just around the corner and I have done nothing yet.

Andy214, how you usually use your flashgun? Without diffuser? With bounce card most of the time and flashing side wall?

QUOTE((aldosoesilo @ May 25 2011 @ 01:49 AM))
dear vearn27, grats for the purchase
and good luck ahead for the wedding

Thanks aldo smile.gif

QUOTE((seng87 @ May 25 2011 @ 02:30 AM))
Basically, if there is a burst usage on the speedlight, it will heat up fast, so when the speedlight get overheated and when that happen it will have a beeping sound indicating that the flash unit is overheating(there is a graphic thingy showing temperature), therefore it will cut off not allowing you to use it anymore, but u can switch off the cut off so that even if the flash unit still beeping, but u can still shoot. This will allow you to capture the moments and not losing it, but i will say that the sound is kinda annoying. Good luck to you.

Here is the link to off the Thermal Cut Out.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7566056_disable-ni...flash-unit.html

Thanks for the information seng87, this is very useful else I might get panicked knowing what happening. Gotta flip through the manual before this weekend.

QUOTE((celciuz @ May 25 2011 @ 09:02 AM))
Sanyo Eneloop, highly recommended from me. So far it works well and never failed me.

How about Harmolattice 2500mAh by Sanyo also using Eneelop engineering? Would that be recommended too?
vearn27
post May 27 2011, 01:06 AM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(elainor @ May 26 2011, 10:31 PM)
i got mine for rm450 last time...
When and where was it you got the BG? I checked with Yannick and he's offering me at RM450 too. Pro Images from Malacca offering RM420 but kinda impossible for me to go there biggrin.gif

Any other place got lower offering and I can check with? smile.gif

QUOTE(Andy214 @ May 27 2011, 12:17 AM)
Thanks for bringing, I thought wanna copy then saw you bring here already.

Yes, shooting RAW means unedited, RAW; The picture control, noise reduction all is not applied. JPEG is the edited copy based on what settings you set; When PP, RAW gives you more flexibility/possibilities; You can try shoot RAW+JPEG. Then load both picture in editing software like Lightroom and see the difference as you adjust. With RAW, it's better especially adjusting white balance.
For starting, you can try shooting RAW+JPEG, then you can try to PP your RAW file to match the JPEG output or make it better. The JPEG output can be used as reference, and actually can be useful for immediate use.

If there's wall/ceiling, I prefer flashing off the wall, but if I move around, I will be busy twisting the flash head because the effect it will effect the image when bouncing from different side; Try and play around with it and notice the difference; But when capturing moments, you might not have the time to keep adjusting because you need to be fast; The most basic is bounce off ceiling and don't really need adjustment. Even bouncing off the ceiling, you can still create some better effects by bouncing it slightly to the sides actually... but overall it will affect the overall light.

I seldom shoot outdoor at night or without ceiling, so not so big issue; but previously I use bigger bounce card to soften the flash. As for diffuser, personally I don't like the output result, but lit up more area and is more powerful. It's best you try it yourself and choose what's best you want to use.
For your wedding, there will be ceiling and walls around mostly; For the restaurant, unless it's a big hall which the ceiling is very high up, you should still be able to bounce the light; If not you can try experiment with the flash/bounce card or diffuser and choose which you prefer, or try the "Demb Diffuser Pro".

Just my cheap 2 shutter clicks. Anybody care to share or add on or correct anything I said wrongly, please do share.

EDITED:
Here's a sample bouncing off the ceiling, but slightly to the other sides; It gives a different effect, but also affected the overall lightings available. If bouncing straight up or slightly front, the effect is again different and there will also be more light. It all comes down to your preference and how you want the picture to turn out.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

In fact, I should thanks you instead for keep sharing your thoughts and guidance with me biggrin.gif

I have been shooting in RAW since the day I bought it. Thankfully I picked the 16GB SanDisk Extreme else the capacity really insufficient. The other day I helped my friend to capture the backscene of her wedding photography and almost filling 80% up by just RAW and without JPEG. Anyway, I only imported the RAW into Adobe LR and then let the Auto-Tone do the job. I'm yet to learn on how to edit the photo properly being so many bars I can drag the values. Here is one of my random luck playing with Develop in LR:

Attached Image

I have no idea what I did, but the outcome really surprising me laugh.gif

By any chance you guys really developing the photos one by one or just selected photos to develop? I still rely on the AWB and Adobe LR auto-tone to do the magic for me sweat.gif

Hmm... on a side note, I actually collected the KelbyTraining - Working with Nikon SB-900 series and Nikon's A Hands On Guide to Creative Lighting videos long ago before I get my DSLR. I'm yet to watch them both, but I guess I'll at least go through the Kelby's to get the idea for my practising and the Nikon's guide only when I mastered the basic.

Thanks again for sharing how you do for your flashgun usage, I shall keep them as reference when I'm doing my practising tomorrow or on Saturday smile.gif

Beside the flashgun, I think I'll be getting the BG too for my D7000 as I often take more portrait photo than landscape. Regarding the BG, if I'm attaching the BG to the body, I can just move the battery into the BG's slot and leaving the body's one empty? unsure.gif

This post has been edited by vearn27: May 27 2011, 01:06 AM
vearn27
post May 27 2011, 12:36 PM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(Andy214 @ May 27 2011, 12:13 PM)
Don't worry, you will slowly discover more and improve as you PP; just take care not to over-PP, and try to view the picture in different types of monitor and so on; unless maybe your monitor/lcd already been calibrated.

You can actually select multiple photo and sync the adjustment settings, and then touch up those that requires further touch up. You can also compare with the original picture to see the changes, etc; You can also try auto-tone and see the differences, but auto-tone may not work well for all photos.
Increasing certain values can introduce more noise (or make it more visible), and also darken the photo, changing the skin tone colour, etc. (You might want to zoom in 1:1 to see more clearly the differences)
Example: Contrast; too much contrast can make it unnatural; You might not notice it sometimes, but what you can do is, let other take a look, or review back the picture again after some time, etc.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy your flash experience. Hope you will have great fun and hopefully the result will amaze you.
I did not calibrate my LCD using any device but I followed the settings exactly as per recommended by a website after calibration.

I just checked the Demb Flash Diffuser Pro and it's priced at RM170, do I really need it or DIY larger bounce card will do the same effect if not similar? Not necessary required, isn't? hmm.gif
vearn27
post May 27 2011, 01:28 PM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(Everdying @ May 27 2011, 01:19 PM)
well, there's a reason why demb is still in business tongue.gif
u can always buy the cheaper china copy of the spectralight for around rm50, which should work just as well...but probably wont last as long.
LOL. Your bolded statement got me into thinking now laugh.gif

Are you one of the Demb Flash Diffuser Pro user too? Anything to share about the kit? smile.gif
vearn27
post May 27 2011, 01:58 PM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(Everdying @ May 27 2011, 01:34 PM)
no la, mine is just a used demb flash diffuser classic for rm80.
i was looking at the cheap china spectralight copies for rm50-80 depending on the seller, and the plastic ball joint connector doesnt inspire alot of confidence.
but whats nice about the spectralight design is can flip over the flashhead and use as emergency softbox...and comes with a nice pouch tongue.gif
Demb Diffuser Pro can do the same? I mean flip over the flashhead and use as emergency softbox? unsure.gif

I'm spending on the flashgun and BG instead of lens hoping that I can deliver this coming weekend shooting. Relying only on Kelby's video tutorial to do crash course for doing photography with flash. I'm just crazy now to think about Demb Diffuser Pro sweat.gif
vearn27
post May 27 2011, 03:40 PM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(Everdying @ May 27 2011, 02:10 PM)
thats why its called demb diffuser tongue.gif
softbox is also diffused, but with direct diffused flash...
demb cannot do direct cos the panel is not transparent.
tho i guess the spectralight softbox effect isnt that good.
imo, dont waste time with those mini softboxes...just use bounce enough.
Now I'm considering whether to get the Demb Diffuser Pro along with the D7000 BG or not... hmmm, do you guys think it worth to get it?

Anyway, if I attached the BG to the body, can I use the existing battery on the BG instead of the body? Therefore I'll need not to unattach the BG every time I wanted to charge the battery.
vearn27
post May 27 2011, 04:58 PM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(celciuz @ May 27 2011, 03:45 PM)
DFD is my favorite diffuser so far biggrin.gif, versatile and flexible to suits to most conditions.

If it behaves similarly to the MB-D10 (it should), then yes you can use the tray only. I don't have battery in the body most of the time. pst, 1 more batt -> heavier LOL.
That's ! I'm sold ! laugh.gif doh.gif

Ok, because I'm afraid I might need to de-attach the BG from the body every time I need to charge the battery. Due to this weekend event, I bought almost everything that I listed not to get for starting doh.gif. Now I guess the 50mm f/1.8G gonna be postponed sad.gif

QUOTE(aldosoesilo @ May 27 2011, 04:47 PM)
does it affect the fps as well?
Err, doesn't really matter though. Will be getting mine next month or the month after. tongue.gif
Nope, it doesn't affect the FPS, still at 6 even though with the BG. I'm getting mine later today tongue.gif
vearn27
post May 27 2011, 06:05 PM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

When one wanted to jump ship, he/she got every reason to move.
When one doesn't want to jump ship, he/she got every reason not to move.
vearn27
post May 27 2011, 07:09 PM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(noobie1 @ May 27 2011, 06:51 PM)
speaking of this..where is our tony stark? i pm-ed him for the singapore sling strap but till now he din't reply yet.. sad.gif
not sure if he got help me get o not.. hmm.gif
I'm not sure if it was you, but he told me that he managed to get mine and another forumer's in safe hands because the day he went to the shop, it was only 2 left. I paid mine, how about you? unsure.gif

He left his little bro's number with me, but whenever I call, it said that the number is incomplete sweat.gif. 017 btw. He'll be leaving to Kuantan tomorrow for his big bro's meeting. I'm too still yet to be able to contact him to collect the strap.
vearn27
post May 27 2011, 09:33 PM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(elainor @ May 27 2011, 08:35 PM)
i got a friend, he is using d3100 currently with a kitty lens and he planned to jumpship to canon 1000d before was just because canon will give better picture quality, when i heard that i was like WTF  shakehead.gif  shakehead.gif  . Then i told him, hold your thought for a second, i took my 70-200mm vr2 f/2.8 out and mounted on his d3100 and said go ahead and tried it  brows.gif  brows.gif . After some few shots, he was like  shocking.gif  shocking.gif  really amaze by the photo quality. Poisoned sukcess!!  icon_rolleyes.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif He then got himself a tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and decided to upgrade to d7k in the future when im going to upgrade to fx  flex.gif
It sounded like you're selling your D7K to him while you upgrade to FX at the same time? Lol tongue.gif
vearn27
post May 27 2011, 11:57 PM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

Attached the MB-D11 bg to the D7000 body. Hmm... it seems to be solid built, however the rubber is way different feeling than the D7000's. It's like some cheapo rubber on the bg vs some quality rubber on the body laugh.gif

And yes... it does feel like not attached tightly as it still can move very slightly giving you that kind of "feeling" where the body is moving on the bg.
vearn27
post May 28 2011, 12:29 AM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(168257061 @ May 28 2011, 12:22 AM)

Added on May 28, 2011, 12:25 amErm, btw, how do i change the AF point selection mode on D90/D7000 ?
I duno how to use, the shop people ask me to buy D7k only teach me he said haha laugh.gif
For D7000, there's a button on the A/M Focus Mode Selector, press the button and rotate the Main Dial at the same time to switch in between modes smile.gif

Not necessary need to buy, just download the Nikon D7000 manual jau ok la tongue.gif laugh.gif
vearn27
post May 28 2011, 01:18 AM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(noobie1 @ May 28 2011, 12:36 AM)
now i confuse, is he asking the af mode? such as matrix, center weight etc?
if so, then on D90 the button near the on/off button, same as D7000 nid to rotate the main dial..
btw, D7000 change to btm there..wont it be hard to change?
No, he's asking for AF mode but not Metering mode. AF mode is where you set the mode of Auto-Focus of how many focus points you wanted to use smile.gif
vearn27
post May 29 2011, 12:04 AM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(0168257061 @ May 28 2011, 02:17 PM)
Wei guys, who tried using Sanyo Harmolattice batt ?
seems promising.

http://exposureworks.wordpress.com/2011/03...ttice-review-1/

he said 1k flashes on sb900 blink.gif
Just got them for my SB-900. Yet to put it into fit test run since I used them straight away out from the package. Err... lasted me approx 80 shots laugh.gif

Will fully recharge it tonight and let see how far it goes tomorrow smile.gif
vearn27
post May 29 2011, 03:24 PM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(celciuz @ May 29 2011, 11:51 AM)
I did 1000 before, or almost. Was shooting event LOL... but it was set as a fill flash.. very minimal flash used only.
Like that when you shoot Kyra each pic need to PP tongue.gif
Is there any battery meter on the SB-900? I don't know what's the battery level now but I shot over 700+ photos set it as fill flash, still can go on.

Anyway, I reached the "Thermal Cut-out" indicator like 5~6 times today sweat.gif. Really panicked as the flash is not able to fire and the first time it happen when the bridegroom reached the moment to open the bride's room door doh.gif

I pushed my ISO to 3200 but yet to get "acceptable" frame. Later on the flash regained and just in time to capture the moment he open the door~ phews! Thanks again for not happening during family shot and kissing moment.

How you guys managed to control the heat of the flashgun? Just turn off the "Thermal Cut-out" and shot only?

Anyway, it was a very good experience today. The situation changed where I become the OP because my friend is busy and the other photographer (friend too) absent. It's kind of important to lead them indirectly where then you'll be able to capture some good frames. Indeed flashgun bring photography to another level. I compared between my shots and my friend using the same body and same lens, that's whole lot more different! Thanks to everyone that helped me out for it with advise and sharing experience notworthy.gif
vearn27
post May 31 2011, 12:41 AM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(eddy230379 @ May 30 2011, 10:00 AM)
hey guys ...

me & bro SSY22 are going to do a bit of street shootings in KL this Sunday evening ...

venue & time to be confirmed by Friday ...

anyone wanna join us ???
Shooting apa kat mana? laugh.gif

QUOTE(aldosoesilo @ May 30 2011, 12:19 PM)
seriously, how you can upload photo to facebook without having additional noise from them?
facebook screwed me once again. =X

this one still acceptable, I've deleted some of the unacceptable additional noise from facebook.

Well, I always resize the photos to 720px before I upload them. Hmm... photo quality does degraded, however it's very minimal and usually only losing sharpness instead of gaining noise.

QUOTE(geekster129 @ May 30 2011, 05:52 PM)
It's good to hear you have a good head start in wedding photography. Keep up the good work, and you will be able to get a hang of it pretty fast. laugh.gif
Thanks geekster129 smile.gif

I just reviewed the photos and gonna say it's just so-so only. Can't expect much from my first time shooting and without much proper practice of shooting and usage of flashgun. It's kind of interesting and fun as always need to adjust the flash head when taking photo laugh.gif. Gotta push myself a little more to do more shooting to gain more skills and experience. Really need all the gurus here tunjuk ajar sikit smile.gif

BTW, if I'm to look for one decent lens to cover up wedding photography, which one could it be? I remember I read a lot of people recommending 70-200 from this forum. However, in tight area like the place I shoot last weekend, 70-200 even on FX will be very limited as the place is small, perhaps 24-70 then? What would you guys recommend for my next target to get?
vearn27
post Jun 1 2011, 12:37 AM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(eddy230379 @ May 31 2011, 09:32 AM)
its going to be another street outing ... venue to be confirmed but the time is most probably around 5pm ...
Plan changed on my side, most likely I wouldn't be joining as I got another wedding to shoot on Saturday. Wish me luck and will practise to learn more smile.gif

QUOTE(aldosoesilo @ May 31 2011, 10:30 AM)
Thanks bro! smile.gif

This photo may not favour the subject. Remember, as CY mentioned before also, female usually very typical and particular about their skin tone and body shape. I'm not sure about others, but somehow I see her legs like "gigantic" from my point of view. It would be better to skip such frame or you move up higher to shoot at a higher angle.

"Thing near to the lens will look big and thing far from the lens will look small" - quoted from Nigel Barker.

QUOTE(aldosoesilo @ May 31 2011, 10:50 AM)
Guys.. This month I am thinking to buy my first flash. and my option goes to SB-600. What do you think about SB-600?

Added on May 31, 2011, 11:14 amI saw this one in joemcnally blog. and feel like sharing it. tongue.gif
Amazing!

Why not consider SB-700?

Impressive photo thumbup.gif

QUOTE(geekster129 @ May 31 2011, 11:59 AM)
Tighter lens is good if you're trying to isolate your subject, especially when you're shooting the bride, and showing her dress, and the accessories.

Wider lens is good when you want to add in more context to your shots, sometimes you may want to include the guests into the frame or the background in a particular scene that you can tell a bigger picture on what was happening in the frame. It can add some drama to your shots as well.
I understand exactly what you are trying to share. Therefore, if I'm looking for one good lens to invest to pair it up with my D7000 with crop-factor, that would be 24-70 if I wanted FX lens, otherwise the DX King? What's the current market rate for 24-70?

QUOTE(RobustRobot @ May 31 2011, 09:57 PM)
hurm, wondering if i can put some thread or something here just as growth planning for my photography?

place where people can critics and comment there..
In your case, there's already a sub-forum called : Showcase cool2.gif
vearn27
post Jun 1 2011, 10:34 AM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

How often you guys use the horizon indicator? Izzit only available in D7000 or all models have it? unsure.gif

I assigned that to my Fn button and sometime it made me searching for it when I'm holding the grip laugh.gif doh.gif
vearn27
post Jun 1 2011, 11:20 AM

Doink! Doink! Doink!
7,284 posts

QUOTE(celciuz @ Jun 1 2011, 10:38 AM)
Grid you mean? I use grid all the time. Or is it the meter for horizon one?
No grid, I kept the grid turned on all the while. What I mean is the horizon indicator meter which shows how much you tilted or balanced your horizon axis.

QUOTE(Everdying @ Jun 1 2011, 10:49 AM)
i dont use that indicator much, cos the default viewfinder grid on D7000 already good enough.
my Fn button is set to 'flash off'.
Sometime although I followed the grid, but the frame still look "senget". Perhaps I haven't shoot enough yet.

BTW, if set to "flash off", which mean it'll not flash even when flashgun attached? unsure.gif

QUOTE(elainor @ Jun 1 2011, 10:56 AM)
i set my fn button for bracket shots for hdr photos =)
Ahh... yet to discover about bracketing shots tongue.gif

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0408sec    0.47    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:38 PM