Business operators cause congestion outside condos in Setapak
Faizal Nor Izham
Friday, July 22nd, 2011 12:52:00
GETTING to work from his flat in Genting Court Condominiums in Jalan Teratai, Setapak, is a daily challenge for 35-year-old field engineer R. RAJA.
The trip to Mont Kiara usually takes 25 minutes but it now requires an additional 20 minutes just to exit Setapak.
This is because food stalls occupy half of the car park next to the neighbourhood's only exit into the main road and the residents and patrons are forced to park on both sides of the road, causing congestion.
"It all started when stalls were set up in the car park seven months ago and since then, more stalls have come up," RAJA tells Hotline.
He suspects some are not operating with permits.
"The stalls are open throughout the day but are busiest from 6pm to 9.30pm. Some close only at midnight.
Although it is not so bad in the daytime, sometimes driving through takes a long time."
RAJA says other residents have also complained about the congestion, including the condominium's management, which held a meeting to discuss the issue recently.
Even a Chinese medical hall complains it is affecting business, he says.
Before the stalls were set up, the flow of traffic outside his home went both ways but now motorists are unsure which way to go.
There are no officers to direct the flow of traffic or issue summonses.
"I had complained to City Hall online but they came by once. I had also appealed to our Member of Parliament for help," says RAJA.
He says the congestion is also affecting residents of neighbouring buildings such as the Sri Pelangi condominiums and Plaza Prima Setapak.
"Having a few stalls here is fine but not to the point that it spills onto the streets."
● A CITY Hall Corporate Planning Department spokesman says the council will send a team to monitor the situation.
"City Hall will issue notices under Section 46 (1) (d) of the Street, Drainage and Building Act 1974, while action to remove or seize obstacles will be done under Section 46 (3) of the same act, if the stalls are found to be operating against regulations," she says.
"City Hall requests that people do not visit food premises that put tables and chairs in areas that are prohibited. As long as people continue to visit such premises, food operators will continue to operate this way.
"It is not only inconvenient but also cause difficulties to people such as the disabled."
The spokesman says that from January to May this year, a total of 1,278 notices were issued under Section 46 (1) (d) of the Street, Drainage and Building Act, while 4,947 tables and 1,346 chairs were seized in the same period.