Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Altec Lansing Fan Club V2 (128 members!), Sound Leadership For The Digital Age

views

noelocs P
post Nov 16 2020, 11:30 PM

Probation
1 posts

Hi, I have this antique ACS 45.1 since 2001, last year found out broken with the:
1) Unable to turn on/off (double click on the volume button)
2) Broken hissing noise, volume become super weak, volume cannot be controlled

What do you think would be the problem?
power911
post Nov 17 2020, 06:33 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,446 posts

QUOTE(noelocs @ Nov 17 2020, 12:30 AM)
Hi, I have this antique ACS 45.1 since 2001, last year found out broken with the:

What do you think would be the problem?
I can point out the problem but I don't know the exact fix to this. You can try at your own risk.

-Well it's time to repair the clicky buttons on the top. It's a common problem and most of the time a slight spray of contact cleaner will solve the issue. But some user did report they have to swap the button switch to new ones via soldering. Looks like a common button to me.

Some old lowyat post

Maybe can try buying a pack of 5 from RS and solder yourself

-This could be many variables. I can only say for one common issue which is the wire connector part maybe broken.
I can't remember if your aux cable is connecting the right speaker or the subwoofer but you can try swapping that cable first. Aux cable is the cable with 2 headphone jack on each ends. Mr DIY sells them so can try that first.

-If that doesn't work then I'm just worried 2 things since most cable all hardwired and hard to repair without common electronics knowledge. You can always start by spray contact cleaner into the ports and connect disconnect your cable to clean the dirt off to see if it fixes it.

-If that doesn't work I suspect either cable snap or the ports solder cracked internally and require solder reflow.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by power911: Nov 17 2020, 06:35 PM
ShadowR1
post Jan 1 2021, 09:00 PM

Im still HeRe ...
1,296 posts

Hi guys, I have an aging acs 44 which just kaputed on me.

Whenever I switch it on its sound like " guuuuuu...." continuously.

So its fixable or a new speaker is the better path.
pspslim007
post Jan 2 2021, 02:03 AM

On my way
689 posts

Guys letting go of my Atp3, anyone interested?
power911
post Jan 2 2021, 12:07 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,446 posts

QUOTE(ShadowR1 @ Jan 1 2021, 10:00 PM)
Hi guys, I have an aging acs 44 which just kaputed on me.

Whenever I switch it on its sound like " guuuuuu...." continuously.

So its fixable or a new speaker is the better path.
Probably fixable if it has sentimental value but with many new options out there it's better to just go get new ones.
ShadowR1
post Jan 2 2021, 12:55 PM

Im still HeRe ...
1,296 posts

QUOTE(power911 @ Jan 2 2021, 12:07 PM)
Probably fixable if it has sentimental value but with many new options out there it's better to just go get new ones.
Yeah ... I think that too since its been like >15 year old.

What puzzle me is it happen out of the blue while in operation ... actual sound is not audible but a duuuuuuuuuuu sound emerge.

Any recommendation for something that is in a budget ?

Have my eye of the Edifier R1280DB but its a bit pricey to me.

joellim
post Jan 12 2021, 12:49 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

Hello to all the masters of Altec Lansing Speakers Here.

I have an Altec Lansing MX5021 speaker which cannot turn on. It was working fine until last week when suddenly It couldnt turn on when I pressed the power button. Could someone here help me diagnose and repair it?

Thank you
wotvr
post Jan 26 2021, 01:01 PM

Getting Started
136 posts

QUOTE(joellim @ Jan 12 2021, 12:49 AM)
Hello to all the masters of Altec Lansing Speakers Here.

I have an Altec Lansing MX5021 speaker which cannot turn on. It was working fine until last week when suddenly It couldnt turn on when I pressed the power button. Could someone here help me diagnose and repair it?

Thank you
I have the same problem as yours. It just happened today.
thana146
post Apr 20 2021, 10:35 PM

Getting Started
202 posts

Hi Guys,

I just opened up my treasure ACS 45.1 which was in a box for last 7-10 years.
Woofer and only the main speaker with controller is working. Volume up, down, on , off is all working like a charm.

I have checked the speaker and its working when I connect to Laptop or handphone. I have opened the main speaker and found no signal coming from the woofer (Main board).

Hope to get some assistance on what could be the cause. If there is any specific IC need to be replace, where can I get it ya. Been out of touch on electronics for many years. I would go to Jalan Pasar on a worst case scenario only.

As i know, Farnell electronics is closed in PJ. (I used to by IC's here during my college days.
As for RFS in Glenmarie, not sure if its still there and sell loose parts. Preference is to buy replacement parts online. Lets see how it goes.

Hope to get some feedback. Thx in advance.

This post has been edited by thana146: Apr 20 2021, 11:09 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
blackwhitechipsKL
post Jun 10 2021, 11:25 AM

Casual
321 posts

hi, maybe stupid question. Can i use my acs45.1 subwoofer and hook up to a bookshelf speaker with a subout?
power911
post Jun 10 2021, 06:05 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,446 posts

QUOTE(blackwhitechipsKL @ Jun 10 2021, 12:25 PM)
hi, maybe stupid question. Can i use my acs45.1 subwoofer and hook up to a bookshelf speaker with a subout?
you can but you'll still have to run the volume control which is attached to your right speaker. And it'll sound weird if you have 2 set of speaker playing together
blackwhitechipsKL
post Jun 11 2021, 01:11 PM

Casual
321 posts

QUOTE(power911 @ Jun 10 2021, 06:05 PM)
you can but you'll still have to run the volume control which is attached to your right speaker. And it'll sound weird if you have 2 set of speaker playing together
i just want to use the sub and not use the satellites of the ACS45.1
tinytech89
post Jun 11 2021, 01:23 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(pspslim007 @ Jan 2 2021, 02:03 AM)
Guys letting go of my Atp3, anyone interested?
Still available?
power911
post Jun 11 2021, 08:59 PM

Misguided Angel of Death
6,446 posts

QUOTE(blackwhitechipsKL @ Jun 11 2021, 02:11 PM)
i just want to use the sub and not use the satellites of the ACS45.1
Then I guess you'll have to get yourself a subwoofer amp separately and wire directly to the subwoofer speaker. There are many TPA3116D2 based subwoofer amps you can use to hotwire directly to the stock subwoofer speaker as long as you don't mind unscrewing and snipping the speaker wires.

My understanding is that ACS45.1 will not run without the right speaker. There may be a way if you are skilled with electronics and can bypass the main outputs by bridging some stuff in the built-in amp but I'm no expert in reverse engineering an amp,
blackwhitechipsKL
post Jun 11 2021, 11:06 PM

Casual
321 posts

QUOTE(power911 @ Jun 11 2021, 08:59 PM)
Then I guess you'll have to get yourself a subwoofer amp separately and wire directly to the subwoofer speaker. There are many TPA3116D2 based subwoofer amps you can use to hotwire directly to the stock subwoofer speaker as long as you don't mind unscrewing and snipping the speaker wires.
My understanding is that ACS45.1 will not run without the right speaker. There may be a way if you are skilled with electronics and can bypass the main outputs by bridging some stuff in the built-in amp but I'm no expert in reverse engineering an amp,
just for anyone also wanting to do the same as i did. i consulted some friends, and ended up, cutting the 3.5mm aux cable, and had the ground attached to the Line Out Red Output, and the White/Red (combine it) to the Black Output. The standard audio line to the other speakers are also combined. You may need to switch polarity if you're not using the Altec Lansing supplied aux. Then just connect the Aux to either Line In on the Subwoofer and power the sub. This way, i am able to add the Altec Lansing Sub to my Edifier setup, and likely and speaker setup with Line Out.

20 Pages « < 18 19 20Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0205sec    0.30    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 6th August 2021 - 11:45 AM